SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Undecided still - SLK 55, SLK 350 or BMW 650i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Montero Sport (old)
Undecided still - SLK 55, SLK 350 or BMW 650i

I looked at the 2007 SLK 350 and SLK 55 AMG. Both are nice, but undecided.

One factor is price. THE SLK 55 is about 15k more than the SLK 350.
But when I look at it in 5 years, it's about 5k per year more which is not bad.

Considering both, the monthly would be around 1200-1500 / month.

Anyway, wife says "it's too much" but I'm looking at this long term in which I plan to buy the car and keep it for the next 10+ years.

I could pay cash for it, but I want to finance it (at 5.65% APR via credit union) and I would just keep my cash invested in mutual funds (at least 8% annually).

Although the BMW 650i was my first choice, I am really leaning on the SLK.

I just want more opinion from long term owners and users of the SLK.

And I guess a good justification beyond, "I like the car."

Last edited by Still_JM; 12-08-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: title change
Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Still_JM
I looked at the 2007 SLK 350 and SLK 55 AMG. Both are nice, but undecided.

One factor is price. THE SLK 55 is about 15k more than the SLK 350.
But when I look at it in 5 years, it's about 5k per year more which is not bad.

Considering both, the monthly would be around 1200-1500 / month.

Anyway, wife says "it's too much" but I'm looking at this long term in which I plan to buy the car and keep it for the next 10+ years.

I could pay cash for it, but I want to finance it (at 5.65% APR via credit union) and I would just keep my cash invested in mutual funds (at least 8% annually).

Although the BMW 650i was my first choice, I am really leaning on the SLK.

I just want more opinion from long term owners and users of the SLK.

And I guess a good justification beyond, "I like the car."
SLK 350: I test drove two times
-Not aggresive looking
-Handling is Good (can be better),,,but that doesn't mean much if you are not racing.
-If you are a big guy, then don't get this car
-Trunk space can only fit one body (Trust me I know)
-It has Airscarf as an option, so when top is down, you can stay warm on the neck.
-Power is good, it is fast, just not really fast. It will scare your passenger still.
-Weighs about 3200 lbs manual, and about 3400 lbs automatic. Check the book to make sure though,,, but I think I am close.
-HARD TOP convertible
-19 inch rims will fit

SLK 55 AMG: I have owned this car for two years now. Bought it right before they took it off the tow truck.
-This has aggresive looks, lowered 10 mm, AMG shocks/springs, 13.4 inch brakes, cross rotars, 360 hp, two tones leather seats with suade,,,and that it is an AMG.
-The exhaust note is abosulutely beautiful,,,,some people have taken out their two cats and resonators...those are freakin loud.
-Very Powerful, if you take off the line correct, you can get a 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds,, but mostly 4.5 seconds,,,not the 4.9 seconds that MB claims.
-Handling is much better than SLK 350 because of AMG springs and stuff...but it still can be better than that if the car didn't weigh so much...
-Speaking of weight....the SLK 55 AMG is 3400 lbs
-Only comes in automatic
-HARD TOP convertible
-19 inch rims will fit
-The SLK 55 AMG 16 Spoke 18 inch rims look really good, especially when chromed.
-Same trunk space as the SLK 350. I have put golf clubs with the bag into the trunk. Somebody else on the forums said they have put two....but I am not so sure if that is even possible.
-The price has gone up since I got mine when it first came out.

BMW 6 Series: Never drove or test drove the car.
-Looks great
-Prefer the hard top over the convertible....because it looks weird with the soft top. I am glad that you are going with the hard top.
-4 seater
-Rims can be 20 inch or maybe higher...someone else has to confirm that for you.
-BMW can be trusted,,,but not as much soul and heritage as MB
-Way bigger car than the SLK,,,

Even though you say money could be an issue, this is what I think...

SLK 350 : NO
SLK 55 AMG: YES, most prefered...
BMW 650I: YES

BTW, my dad has the SL 500 and when a worker was fixing something in the garage, he told my dad that he would rather have my SLK 55 AMG over his SL 500................my dad was upset (not mad or angry,,,he was just shocked that some guy who dreamed of driving a Benz would pick my car over his). And I am mentioning this because the BMW 650I is about the same size as the SL,,,so even though the SLK 55 AMG is smaller,,,,people will still take it....

Plus when people say,,,oh, that is a small car....I respond,,, with a big *** engine. 5.5 L V-8 bîtches!!! (I say the bîtch part in my head).

The SLK 350 is more of a girly car...but the SLK 55 AMG is not a girls car...I don't care what other people say....plus I haven't heard anyone in person say the SLK 350 or SLK 55 AMG is a girls car....only on mbworld have a few members said it was...but I say screw them.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Deuce

Last edited by Deuce; 12-08-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Looking for a new toy.
I haven't driven the BMW so I can't help you there, but I can add some insight from my own decision process re the SLK55/350. At one point I had decided that a 350 (albeit with some small reservations and "if" I decided on an SLK as my next car) would be "enough" for me. I'd driven one and was pleased with the overall package. I had not though, up to that point, tested an SLK55. Then one showed up at a local dealer just as plans to buy a Shelby GT500 fell through (don't ask *L*) and so I test drove it...and bought it next day. The difference in power over the 350 was intoxicating and I knew then that I would never be happy with a 350 if I bought one instead - I'd always be kicking myself over the '55. That does not make for happy car ownership.

Now the 350 is a great car in it's own right, BUT if one of your prime "wants" in a car is power, you'll always be second guessing your decision to buy a 350 over the AMG. If the power is not a big deal to you, get the 350 and be happy knowing you saved a few bucks. If not, save yourself some grief now and just go ahead and get the '55 - you'll never second guess yourself over that decision.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 PM

1998 Montero Sport (old)
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
If not, save yourself some grief now and just go ahead and get the '55 - you'll never second guess yourself over that decision.
Ohh, I like that one. I'm one who does not like second guessing myself.

I test drove the SLK 55, 2 week ago, and like the power. I kept hitting some steering wheel shift thingy thinking it's a turn signal. Sport lumbar was kind of unfortable.

I haven't tested the 350 yet.

The BMW dealer wants me to make an advanced appointment for a test drive as they only have one on the show room.

One more question, how's the maintenance costs for Mercedes?

I've owned Japanese cars from Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi-but all are below $30k cars.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM

Looking for a new toy.
You were probably hitting the shift paddles by mistake...I still do that occasionally with the buttons on mine. The seats just take a little playing with to find the right adjustment, then save it to memory - worked for me. Can't comment on the maintenances as I haven't had any yet - a couple thousand miles more for Service "A" which is basically an oil change.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:15 AM

c32

I own both the 650 and the slk55, if you take the price difference out of the picture, I would easily take the 650i. Dont' get me wrong, i love the slk55, I have had it for about a year now but am near the end of my time with it.

On the one hand the slk55 is insanely fast, handles relatively well, is very sexy from the outside and is a hardtop convertible. On the other its much smaller then a 650, it feels cramped with the roof up, for the size of the car they do a good job of making the most out of the space but it is still small. And if you drive a lot, you may not find it the most comfortable car either, on long road trips i find myself constantly shifting positions.

The 650 on the other hand is in a different class to compare with it in the first place. Its a coupe with 4 seats, granted the back seats are only good for small people but its better then nothing. The seats and interior are both large and comfortable. The car hits 100km in 5 to 5.4 seconds, not too shabby for such big car....The true appeal of this car is in the handling and feel of the drive.

This car drives like a dream, every pebble, crack and strip in the pavement is felt through the steering wheel. You are in complete control with this car and at insanely high speeds.

If you enjoy driving, get the 650. If you want a hardtop convertible rocket get the slk55. The cars are really in different classes, either way you go you won't be dissapointed.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:21 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
That "thingy" on the steering wheel was either:

If it was a button, it was a shift paddle like FishtailnZ points out.

Otherwise, it is the Cruise Conrol stalk. I used to hit it a lot when I first purchased the car. You'll get used to MB having the turn signal at 8 o'clock instead 10.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
It depends on what's more important to you, the only reason one would get a 350 is for the manual transmission, it's not slow (0-60 in 5.3 MT) but it's not intoxicating fast like the SLK55. The 350 isn't as heavy as the SLK55 so it feels more tossable. I brought the 350 just for the 6sp, speed isn't a problem as it could be easily modded to the SLK55 numbers. I'd modded my previous cars so speed wasn't a concern. If I'm not happy with it, I'll call Kleeman which is only an hour away from where I live. Their supercharger pkg will yeild another 100hp/100 lb/tq at the same price as the SLK55. It's funny Kleemann knows the price and the performance of the SC but has yet release it. I wonder if they are in the testing phase and trying to work out some bugs. The SLK350 is fast enough for now.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:17 PM

'06 SLK55, '00 Porsche Boxster
have no experience with the 650, but its a beautiful car. Very very different from the slks. Depends on what you are looking for for your car. With regards to the 350 and 55, I had the same dilemma. However, in Australia, the 55 seemed more attractive due to the 55 being packaged heavily optioned. I think for day to day driving there would be very little practical difference between the two. However, having driven both, I liked the forward grunt and engine sound of the 55 more, and thought that if I had bought the 350 I would have always been left wanting more, or wandering what the 55 would have been like, or wanting to mod the 350. So it was more of a emotional want than anything else for me. In any case, all three are great cars. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:06 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
I miss the stick truthfully...I love my 55 and I have tested both 350 and 55 before I purchased. Paddle shifting is okay, slight delay, but there is nothing like kicking it into gear with a stick. More power and aggressive looks won me over, but Ynot is right about modifying a 350 and I probably will go that route next time around when I have more leisure time to play with my toy(s).

I have a family member with a 650, very nice & fast but not the same feel as the smaller SLK - two different animals. I have to agree with ardy's assessment of the two.

IMO if you a big guy, tall and wth a few extras, comfort will matter and I think the SLK is going to be somewhat tight...650 or check a SL.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM

c32
If I had to choose between the two cars, if i could only have one, I would have to go with the 650. It isn't a rocket but its no slouch either, and unless you are into racing 0-60 in 5.0-5.4 is plenty fast.

Pros :
The interior is gorgeous, very roomy in the front, and very well designed. Some cool options like HUD for odometer reading on windshield.
Active steering its lots of fun.

Cons:

I - drive. it sucks *****. No reason to have less buttons if you ask me.
price tag - 86 brand new loaded, ouch.

I love the 650 but that m6 is starting to look really nice
Maybe you should consider an alternate option. I would suggest a 2007 335i bmw coupe. Its a nice compramise on what you are looking for. Its a sexy coupe, 300 bhp, twin turbo, handles like an animal, 0-60 reported as low as 4.8. A friend owns one and I must say it is a lot of fun to drive, it really sticks to the road and feels real quick on take off.

Best part you can get one for 50k fully loaded and its brand new so you don't have to worry about a new model coming out anytime soon. Anyway, good luck to your decision.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S

and that is 997 territory!!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 PM

1998 Montero Sport (old)
Originally Posted by ardy6931
If I had to choose between the two cars, if i could only have one, I would have to go with the 650. It isn't a rocket but its no slouch either, and unless you are into racing 0-60 in 5.0-5.4 is plenty fast.

Pros :
The interior is gorgeous, very roomy in the front, and very well designed. Some cool options like HUD for odometer reading on windshield.
Active steering its lots of fun.

Cons:

I - drive. it sucks *****. No reason to have less buttons if you ask me.

I love the 650 but that m6 is starting to look really nice
Maybe you should consider an alternate option. I would suggest a 2007 335i bmw coupe. Its a nice compramise on what you are looking for. Its a sexy coupe, 300 bhp, twin turbo, handles like an animal, 0-60 reported as low as 4.8. A friend owns one and I must say it is a lot of fun to drive, it really sticks to the road and feels real quick on take off.

Best part you can get one for 50k fully loaded and its brand new so you don't have to worry about a new model coming out anytime soon. Anyway, good luck to your decision.
I'm looking at the SLK 55 now.
Mars Red, Black interior, Premium 3, Light pkg, Air Scarf, and iPod.
Dealer is saying $69k and some change.

I have not bought any car on my own recently. Am I suppose to check Edmund's invoice price and haggle from there? What is a reasonable offer I should go?

The black is not my prefered interior, and I want Dual Climate Control as well. If I choose to factory order, how much should I offer on the invoice price?
What fees other than destination and taxes should I check that is included?