SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Carbon Fiber air box group buy SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
Carbon Fiber air box group buy SLK55

I have been talking to vrus off of mbworld. He has developed $1500 cf airbox with real performance gains.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/155686-1-500-cf-airbox-hp-benefits.html

so i asked him if he would be willing to do a airbox for the slk55 and he said yes. We would need about 10 people to do the air box
this is the E55 airbox vrus did

more pictures here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showth...155686&page=11

i'm going to hit up the other forums to see if theres interest. also one other thing is the C55 airbox he same as the SLK55 airbox? is so we could get 10 people no problem.

so who's in?

Last edited by silk32; 02-06-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If his engine is an atmospheric 55, then it should fit. The cover is the same and would 'clip' to the same places.

Looks very nice, much, MUCH better looking then the Renntech one (I think the blocky thing they make is not pretty... especially as the center bit isn't even really used for anything, they could have shaved another pound off the thing by making it look like the one in the photo).

But alas, I can't shell out that much cash at this time

*edit* I see from the pics that he was testing it on a supercharged 55... so the end product for the SLK would be a little different. But I know you can get this type of cover on the SLK as Kleemann uses it with the supercharger setup. It does look good.

Last edited by Shinigami; 02-05-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM

slk55
CF air box

does anyone know how many hp will gain??
Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
interest

First off the Vrus airbox also uses the stock bottom AMG part. I would be interested but so far I have not seen any proof of additional performance. Pretty much that would be all that would hold me back.

I must say though that Vrus seems to have done an amazing job and the work looks amazing.

Also I'm using the renntech Supercharger so not sure of any fitment issues.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
yeap this airbox is freakin sexy. especially this ONE PIECE CF intake, so this turns into cold air intake.

vrus is a really nice guy, I recently asked him some questions abt retrofitting a c32 amg airbox into my car. and he gave me some answers. I wish this was possible for my 320.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 PM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
Any latest news about this CF intake?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Speaking of airboxes and SLK55, how in the world do you get to the filters in this thing? I want to replace the stock ones, but I don't know how to get to them. It looks like the screws are on the bottom of the airbox, which would require taking the whole assembly out? How do I go about doing that without breaking something or am I missing something?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 AM
MNG

Audi's, a whole bunch of them
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Speaking of airboxes and SLK55, how in the world do you get to the filters in this thing? I want to replace the stock ones, but I don't know how to get to them. It looks like the screws are on the bottom of the airbox, which would require taking the whole assembly out? How do I go about doing that without breaking something or am I missing something?
you just pull up on the whole engine cover, and it simple pops off
Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 AM

SLK 55 AMG
To remove the airbox, you need to first pull the two air feeding tubes off from the box by pulling them towards the nose.

Then you need to carefully pull the front flap part of the airbox off. This flap is attached to the main airbox via a few small and fragile clips. You must veeeery carefully lift the sides to unclip it, and then simultaneously pull and rock the flap sideways so that it unclips from the main box.

When you've done this (carefully, as those clips do break... I broke mine and they're really fragile... luckily dealer changed mine no questions asked), you need to lift the main airbox straight up. It's fastened by 4 prongs, but a good yank will get it free. Mine was additionally attached by a ribbon cable on the back of the box to another tube. You might wanna cut this ribbon cable or use a knife to free it up a bit so that you can unhook it off the tube (like I did).

Finally, the airbox needs to be screwed open (I think 4 or 8 screws in total, 2 or 4 per air filter side).

In itself, not that hard, but be careful (once again) when handling this thing. It might accumulate small debris over time, and if you remove the current filters, you might let dust, sand or other foreign material get lost inside the housing. So use a vacuum cleaner and air duster canister to clean the airbox out COMPLETELY before putting it all back together. And also don't let anything drop inside the air intake hole on the engine while you're fooling around with the airbox.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Thank you very much good sir. I was afraid I would destory something if I just got in and started pulling without knowing what I was doing. Could MB have possibly made this more difficult? The E55 airboxes are simple, the screws are right on top. Don't have to remove anything to get to them.

Originally Posted by Shinigami
To remove the airbox, you need to first pull the two air feeding tubes off from the box by pulling them towards the nose.

Then you need to carefully pull the front flap part of the airbox off. This flap is attached to the main airbox via a few small and fragile clips. You must veeeery carefully lift the sides to unclip it, and then simultaneously pull and rock the flap sideways so that it unclips from the main box.

When you've done this (carefully, as those clips do break... I broke mine and they're really fragile... luckily dealer changed mine no questions asked), you need to lift the main airbox straight up. It's fastened by 4 prongs, but a good yank will get it free. Mine was additionally attached by a ribbon cable on the back of the box to another tube. You might wanna cut this ribbon cable or use a knife to free it up a bit so that you can unhook it off the tube (like I did).

Finally, the airbox needs to be screwed open (I think 4 or 8 screws in total, 2 or 4 per air filter side).

In itself, not that hard, but be careful (once again) when handling this thing. It might accumulate small debris over time, and if you remove the current filters, you might let dust, sand or other foreign material get lost inside the housing. So use a vacuum cleaner and air duster canister to clean the airbox out COMPLETELY before putting it all back together. And also don't let anything drop inside the air intake hole on the engine while you're fooling around with the airbox.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I understand... but generally, the average MB customer is not expected to work on their car. They pay for something expensive, so MB believes they'll pay for the service as well.

Anyway, it's not that hard, you just have to be careful with the little flap piece at the front. The two little clips on the sides are very fragile, and like I said, one of them broke when I was fooling with it. The plastic is not a very malleable one, it's quite hard and brittle. You just need to lift the corner first to release the clip (it has a piece of metal around the plastic that causes an attachment point) and when you've twisted the flap up and off the clip areas (into a gentle U shape), you can begin to pull at the flap piece while rocking it back and forth (since it has these second clips that go underneath the main airbox housing).

You'll understand what I'm talking about when you've finished. Just take your time and don't hurry thing. If you think you might be about to break something, stop, take a minute to think about it, observe the piece, and then try again.