Facelift SLK Black Series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotus Exige
Thumbs up Facelift SLK Black Series?

Hi everyone,

I fell in love with the AMG since last week I have test driven the SLK55. The engine is awesome and that's one of the best car for street use.

I really like the SLK Black Series in Silver. I am thinking to refund my GT3 mark2 deposit and switch to the facelift SLK Black Series.

Any thoughts about the switching?

How much better does the Black Series compared with SLK55?

Any news about when will the facelift SLK Black Series release?

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Hello and welcome to the forum, The SLK55 Black series is a wonderful car and is pretty unqiue when comparing it to the SLK55 non Black series car. The chairs are carbon fiber bucket seats and it weights marginally lower than the SLK55, however if you want to compare prices between the two you would be better of if you get a 030 Performance package SLK55 with the sport suspension, drop some headers, filters and a tune and your looking at around 400-410hp and more torque than the SLK55 BS.

To improve its driving feel you can remove the oem wheels and get some lightweight 1 peice forged wheels, remove the resonator frees up some power and lowers the weight, remove the spare tyre and your all set for a reasonably priced package/alternative.

I highly doubt we will see a Black series face lift model, its a limited edition model and I think they might of ended it already.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
First, where do you live?

If you are in the US, the car is not offered here.

I think it was priced at 125K Euros.

The car is far more than a performance package SLK55.

400 HP, Factory LSD, Adjustable Suspension, Carbon Roof, Headers, Exhaust, Carbon Interior. I think they changed like 200 components on the car to make it a Black Series.

It is not just a slightly tweaked P30 SLK55.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Lotus Exige
Originally Posted by alroumi
Hello and welcome to the forum, The SLK55 Black series is a wonderful car and is pretty unqiue when comparing it to the SLK55 non Black series car. The chairs are carbon fiber bucket seats and it weights marginally lower than the SLK55, however if you want to compare prices between the two you would be better of if you get a 030 Performance package SLK55 with the sport suspension, drop some headers, filters and a tune and your looking at around 400-410hp and more torque than the SLK55 BS.

To improve its driving feel you can remove the oem wheels and get some lightweight 1 peice forged wheels, remove the resonator frees up some power and lowers the weight, remove the spare tyre and your all set for a reasonably priced package/alternative.

I highly doubt we will see a Black series face lift model, its a limited edition model and I think they might of ended it already.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am lucky enough to drive a SLK55 BS today. Compared it to the SLK55 030 and all I have to say the SLK55 030 is the way to go. The BS just a little faster because of some weight lose, BUT the non-carbon bucket seats is uncomfortable and the perfromace is not enough to cover the non open roof. Now, I really think the BS version SLK is a riff off from the marketing department.

If I would buy one. I gonna place an order for a special color 08 SLK55 with P030.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM

Lotus Exige
Originally Posted by Schiznick
First, where do you live?

If you are in the US, the car is not offered here.

I think it was priced at 125K Euros.

The car is far more than a performance package SLK55.

400 HP, Factory LSD, Adjustable Suspension, Carbon Roof, Headers, Exhaust, Carbon Interior. I think they changed like 200 components on the car to make it a Black Series.

It is not just a slightly tweaked P30 SLK55.
It is hard to believe when you looked at the price tag, but the Black series SLK is not much better than the SLK55. And SLK55 030 would be very close to the BS and much better for daily use.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by blackseries
It is hard to believe when you looked at the price tag, but the Black series SLK is not much better than the SLK55. And SLK55 030 would be very close to the BS and much better for daily use.
It really depends on what you are looking for. The fact that you drove a SLK Black tells me that you are not in the US.

If you are comparing the advantages on the street then you missed the point of the Black Series. Drive them on the track and you will see why the Black Series is more.

If you still want a top down daily driver, then the 030 is for you. If you want an autocross and track car that you can drive too and from then you really can't go wrong with the Black.

Suprised you didn't notice the differences driving but they really don't show until you are driving at 8/10's. Sounds like you are making the right choice for what you are looking to do.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Lotus Exige
Originally Posted by Schiznick
If you still want a top down daily driver, then the 030 is for you. If you want an autocross and track car that you can drive too and from then you really can't go wrong with the Black.

Suprised you didn't notice the differences driving but they really don't show until you are driving at 8/10's. Sounds like you are making the right choice for what you are looking to do.
For track use, I have to say the GT3 is much better.

And for today test drive, I just did that on street and the car is not mine so I didn't driving it all. Sure, due to the weight and 40hp+ it must be better, but seriously not much. The used BS is more expensive than a brand new 030 with custom paint. But sadly that doesn't mean the BS is collectable/good re-sale value, the owner is having a hard time to sell it even he is willing to lose that much money.

Last edited by blackseries; 03-03-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar

And for today test drive, I just did that on street and the car is not mine so I didn't driving it all. Sure, due to the weight and 40hp+ it must be better, but seriously not much. The used BS is more expensive than a brand new 030 with custom paint. But sadly that doesn't mean the BS is collectable/good re-sale value, the owner is having a hard time to sell it even he is willing to lose that much money.
Unfortunately AMG/MB cars suffer on the resale market. I am already being offered new CLK BS behind MSRP.

Either way, they are great cars and if you are going to keep it for a while the depreciation is meaningless.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM

Lotus Exige
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Unfortunately AMG/MB cars suffer on the resale market. I am already being offered new CLK BS behind MSRP.

Either way, they are great cars and if you are going to keep it for a while the depreciation is meaningless.

thats true about the resale value.

i think the facelift SLK AMG looks really cool, with some nice F1 style on it. i would like to keep it for a while, thats why i am going to spend the extra money for a custom paint job. the paint cost is even more than a colour to sample Porsche!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65

I would agree with you that a GT3 would be a better track car as well as many, many other cars both for more and less money.

If you are looking for an "AMG" track car, the Black Series cars are the way to go.......

Enjoy you new SLK55. I am sure you will love it.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
thats true about the resale value.

i think the facelift SLK AMG looks really cool, with some nice F1 style on it. i would like to keep it for a while, thats why i am going to spend the extra money for a custom paint job. the paint cost is even more than a colour to sample Porsche!
Good for you, go with the Designo colours those are the in house custom colours.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Lotus Exige
Good for you, go with the Designo colours those are the in house custom colours.
no, i am not talking about the designo colors, i am requesting for a custom color and the quote for that is about $11000 usd. but still waiting for the color to be approved.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
no, i am not talking about the designo colors, i am requesting for a custom color and the quote for that is about $11000 usd. but still waiting for the color to be approved.
I see, thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Lotus Exige
I see, thanks for the clarification.
You are welcome, sadly the Alubeam color that i request is not available, i couldnt believe that since they are introducing it to the new GLK.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
what color you looking to go with now?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
You are welcome, sadly the Alubeam color that i request is not available, i couldnt believe that since they are introducing it to the new GLK.
Too bad It can be ordered before, pm nightowlslk at benzworld he knows about the special colours.