SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Quickest SLK55 N/A?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quickest SLK55 N/A?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

The link above show the top two SLK55s in the 11s are S/C.

The last four SLK55s on the list are N/A and the times average 12.761 in the 1/4.

I'm curious to know if a full Renntech/Kleeman N/A modded SLK55 can break into the 11s.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM

Anyone want to speculate?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Juggarnaut
Anyone want to speculate?
Since the quickest stock SLK55 went 12.226 ET @ 112.26 MPH I would say it is very possible for a fully modded N/A SLK55 to break into the 11s. However, I’m not quite sure if this guy is “stock” since the next quickest stock SLK55 went 12.725 ET @ 109.75 MPH, which is a huge difference.

Perhaps you should add the following mods then take it to the track and report back. That’s the only true way to find out.

Kleemann Cams or VRP/PET Cams
RennTech CF Airbox or 55K Air Intake
Bigger Throttle Body
Power Pulleys
Long Tube Headers
Full Exhaust
ECU/TCU Dyno Tune
LSD
Lighter Wheels
Drag Tires
¼ Mile Driving Skills
Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Havoc
Since the quickest stock SLK55 went 12.226 ET @ 112.26 MPH I would say it is very possible for a fully modded N/A SLK55 to break into the 11s. However, I’m not quite sure if this guy is “stock” since the next quickest stock SLK55 went 12.725 ET @ 109.75 MPH, which is a huge difference.

Perhaps you should add the following mods then take it to the track and report back. That’s the only true way to find out.

Kleemann Cams or VRP/PET Cams
RennTech CF Airbox or 55K Air Intake
Bigger Throttle Body
Power Pulleys
Long Tube Headers
Full Exhaust
ECU/TCU Dyno Tune
LSD
Lighter Wheels
Drag Tires
¼ Mile Driving Skills
I havent seen bigger throttle bodies for the non supercharged M113 (slk55) engine., power pulleys arent worth it as the way I see it since not any European tuner who are TUV approve offer then why spend the money on a mod.

Renntech CF box is expensive, best bet is drop in filters and cut through the internals of the oem box which isnt expensive compared to the CF box which costs 2,000 usd I believe for +10hp.

I've got Kleemann 2ndary cats 200cell, Supersprint xpipe, Kleemann headers with the primary cats deleted, drop in filters and an ecu upgrade. Hopefully in a couple of months I would like to purchase Kleemann camshafts and report to you guys. The car is now very quick but you get used to the power, Kleemann reported to me and said your looking at +15-18hp on my current setup which is around 400-10hp.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by alroumi
I havent seen bigger throttle bodies for the non supercharged M113 (slk55) engine., power pulleys arent worth it as the way I see it since not any European tuner who are TUV approve offer then why spend the money on a mod.

Renntech CF box is expensive, best bet is drop in filters and cut through the internals of the oem box which isnt expensive compared to the CF box which costs 2,000 usd I believe for +10hp.

I've got Kleemann 2ndary cats 200cell, Supersprint xpipe, Kleemann headers with the primary cats deleted, drop in filters and an ecu upgrade. Hopefully in a couple of months I would like to purchase Kleemann camshafts and report to you guys. The car is now very quick but you get used to the power, Kleemann reported to me and said your looking at +15-18hp on my current setup which is around 400-10hp.
Guys are getting just over 500hp with a S/C and running high 11s. So I think if you're going to stay N/A and try for 11s, then you're going to have to think out of the box and custom modify some parts.
I know larger throttle bodies aren't available for our engines, but they can be achieved by modifing the intake manifold.
I usually would not recommend power pulleys, but if you're trying for 11s then you're going to need all the power you can get out of your N/A 55, so they are a must. Same goes for the Renntech CF Airbox, but your best bet would be to fabricate some custom air tubes straight from the throttle body to the front of the car with K&N cone filters.
The VRP cams are more aggressive than the Kleemann cams and Supersprint seems to have the best long tube headers for our cars so that would be the best combination.

Instead of installing a S/C, perhaps I should keep mine N/A and see what's the most I can get out of it.

alroumi, if you purchase the Kleemann cams please report back with your results.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Havoc
Guys are getting just over 500hp with a S/C and running high 11s. So I think if you're going to stay N/A and try for 11s, then you're going to have to think out of the box and custom modify some parts.
I know larger throttle bodies aren't available for our engines, but they can be achieved by modifing the intake manifold.
I usually would not recommend power pulleys, but if you're trying for 11s then you're going to need all the power you can get out of your N/A 55, so they are a must. Same goes for the Renntech CF Airbox, but your best bet would be to fabricate some custom air tubes straight from the throttle body to the front of the car with K&N cone filters.
The VRP cams are more aggressive than the Kleemann cams and Supersprint seems to have the best long tube headers for our cars so that would be the best combination.

Instead of installing a S/C, perhaps I should keep mine N/A and see what's the most I can get out of it.

alroumi, if you purchase the Kleemann cams please report back with your results.
I am not aiming for 11's, my car is a weekend car I like to enjoy it to the fullest. Making it faster is what I want and I've achieved it, its now time for more power. I wanted the S/C but I've got to shell out another 11k and then need installation another 4 + lsd = alot.

Step 2: Camshafts, new tyres.

Camshafts, sounds great seen a couple of youtube clips and adds more power. Keeping it N/A helps the gearbox without abusing it too much and adds torque.

Maybe in the near future, shaving the heads or other internal mods.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:27 PM

I was checking out the C55s times and this is what they look like:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-12032.html

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-16672.html

Needless to say, the data is all over the place for both the C55/SLK55.

Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but I believe that the right conditions, mods, and driver could yield 11.9x-12.1x times which is incredible feat for such an awesome roadster.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not aiming for 11's, my car is a weekend car I like to enjoy it to the fullest. Making it faster is what I want and I've achieved it, its now time for more power. I wanted the S/C but I've got to shell out another 11k and then need installation another 4 + lsd = alot.
No worries bro.
I wasn't sure if you were aiming for 11's or not, I was just responding to Juggarnaut's initial question about if a full Renntech/Kleeman N/A modded SLK55 can break into the 11s. I'm just not sure if Renntech or Kleemann has enough mods for our N/A 55 to make that happen.

Originally Posted by Juggarnaut
Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but I believe that the right conditions, mods, and driver could yield 11.9x-12.1x times which is incredible feat for such an awesome roadster.
+1
I agree!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
So Havoc still planning F/I for the SLK55 or N/A ?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Camshafts are a waste of money. The best bolt-on mods for the SLK55 in order from highest gains to lowest are as follows:

- Headers
- Crank pulley
- High flow 2nd cats
- ECU upgrade.

The first two make the biggest difference in torque (thus acceleration) out of all of them. Cams won't give you much power except on top end and for the $$ required to install them its not worth it at all really. Throttle body will only really help once you have done all these other mods previously.

Other then that the only thing you can do to really make a big difference is get the best tires money can buy: Dunlap Direzza Z1s. They really blow every other tire out of the water and work especially well on the R171 SLKs.

If you do all those, you will get the performance you are looking for. You can get the headers & pulley in the AMS stage 2 performance package which will save you an additional $100.

Hope that helps,
Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM

A 100% locking differential would be a huge benefit too.

I don't think Quaife makes a differential for the SLK55, is there any other reputable manufacturers?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Quafie does actually.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Quafie does actually.
The USA distribution doesn't show one for the SLK55.

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm

Maybe it has to be ordered from UK? Do you know how much it costs? Is that what you have alroumi?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Camshafts are a waste of money. The best bolt-on mods for the SLK55 in order from highest gains to lowest are as follows:

- Headers
- Crank pulley
- High flow 2nd cats
- ECU upgrade.

The first two make the biggest difference in torque (thus acceleration) out of all of them. Cams won't give you much power except on top end and for the $$ required to install them its not worth it at all really. Throttle body will only really help once you have done all these other mods previously.
Camshafts are a waste of money only because they won’t benefit if we add it to your “little” performance package which doesn’t contribute to the intake side of the engine.

I understand that you have to promote your products, but don't try to restrict us with only these small mods.

I guess I’ll have to modify or fabricate an intake manifold that flows better and accepts a larger throttle body which will help contribute and benefit an aggressive camshaft. That’s the only way to get a N/A 55 to breathe better and reach its full potential.

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Other then that the only thing you can do to really make a big difference is get the best tires money can buy: Dunlap Direzza Z1s. They really blow every other tire out of the water and work especially well on the R171 SLKs.

If you do all those, you will get the performance you are looking for.
Sounds like you’re giving up as a Sponsor. Come on man, you can do better than that!
How about offering long tube headers in addition to your shorties and a better flowing intake system that will help the engine breath better.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
You can get the LSD here, two members of slkworld.com did it.

TH Motorsports 2095 Johns Ct, Glenvieww, IL 60025
1-800-959-1045
1-847-656-2392
www.thmotorsports.com

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-gen...package-2.html
Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
quaife

does make one ... I know because one is in my car.

Camshafts I think will help. If there is one aspect of this FI car I want to still modify is the performance at the high end. There is so much down low but it seems to slowly go away at the high rpm. I think camshafts would address this issue.

Also I had the AMS crank pulley ... I pulled it off.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK55R
Camshafts I think will help. If there is one aspect of this FI car I want to still modify is the performance at the high end. There is so much down low but it seems to slowly go away at the high rpm. I think camshafts would address this issue.
I agree!
I would really like to see how your RENNTech S/C or a simular S/C set-up on a N/A 55 would respond to the addition of some VRP/PTE aggressive 55K cams.

Originally Posted by SLK55R
Also I had the AMS crank pulley ... I pulled it off.
Hmmm... Did you pull it off because you added the RENNTech S/C?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
havoc

No I put it no thousands of miles after I had the RT supercharger.

The reason I pulled it off was because I noticed a slight wobble. I didn't want to take any chances so I pulled it.