SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

torn between the SLK350 or the SLK55..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Porsche Boxster 987
torn between the SLK350 or the SLK55..

I got some serious issues cause i keep changing thoughts on which car i should get.

if i were to get the AMG i would lease whereas the 350 i would finance.

i figure since i only plan of keeping the car for three and a half years
i could just lease it and not worry.

And since i would proboly spend X amount of dollars for a body kit, suspension, and wheels, that right there would bring the cost of the 350 way over the AMG.

the only thing i would truly be disapointed with would be theres no manual for the AMG that really sucks.

or what i could do is get the 350 leave it bone stock keep it for 1 or 2 years and then get the new SLK55 AMG with 400 somthing HP.
but then how much money would i be losing doing this?

anyone have some really valid points to make me decide once and for all?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Leasing SLK55 vs financing SLK350

Hey kimchiFLAVA,

Here's what I think.....

Leasing a car is always cheaper than financing because the residual value is not put into account when financing. But in this case if financing a SLK350 (stock) DOES equal to leasing a SLK55 (with options) in terms of monthly payments....just remember that you are getting a better car by leasing the SLK55.

The advantage of leasing is that it allows you to keep your options open....meaning that if for whatever reason you don't want to keep the car, then just hand over the keys at the end of the lease and walk away. Or if you want, you can still buy the car by paying off the residual. I have gotten into an accident with a leased car, and although it wasn't my fault and that the insurance company paid for the repairs, I didn't think too much about it since after the lease was up, it was no longer my problem.....whereas if I were to finance it, it really would have bothered me knowing that I will have a harder time selling an "accidented" car without losing money.

However, if you are planning to do some heavy modding, then leasing is not such a good idea....unless you decide to buy the car when the lease is up.

As for the 7g transmission of the AMG, since no one has yet to test it out, it's really difficult to say whether it's better or worse than the manual....It's really something that you have to test drive and judge for yourself.

As for getting a stock 350 then switching to AMG after 1 or 2 years is really a bad idea because depreciation is at it's highest during the first two years...you will be losing money doing so.

As for all these talks about a 400+hp AMG when the 360hp AMG is not even out yet are 1)just purely speculations, and 2)thinking way ahead of ourselves.....However, to relieve all your concerns, one thing you can do is to lease the 350 for now, and by the time your lease is up (3 to 4 years down the line), you'll definitely find out by then whether the AMG will have manual and/or a 400+hp engine. You can then decide whether to keep the 350 or change to leasing the AMG.

Good luck in your decision
Old 08-19-2004, 05:35 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
thanks for the time what you just said is very sound thanks

i think im gonna call my dealership and see when they can deliver me the SLK55..leased.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Very wise words Lirim...

I have an SLK55 on order for delivery 1st March '05 (UK). As for all the talk about the new 4-valve V8, I'm sure it will come about in the SLK55 sooner or later but more likely later. MB have spent a lot of time and money on hype-ing the SLK55 (FIA F1 Safety Car and such like) so I cannot see them putting the new V8 in the car for at least 3 years... well, that's my view anyway.

Rgds

Marky-Mark
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
seems like my dealer is being a jack *** again always giving me mixed messages like

"ok i can deliver the car feb"
i say "ok"
they say "did i say feb???!??! nvm i meant april" "why dont you just get the 350 that u had on order?"

Old 08-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey kimchiFLAVA,

Just get another dealer/sales rep....Remember you have the money means you have the power. Dealers makes their living off your sales, so if you are not happy with the services of one dealer, I'm sure there are others just lined up to serve you better. Also, hint to them that if you are happy with the service, you'll refer them to all your friends....all of which are more than capable to afford a 85 000$ car.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
thanks lilrim and yes i have already got my dealer 2 sales before, my C class
and my dads friend bought a S430.

As for the AMG i dont think ill be getting one since i cant wait till june next year. So it looks like i'll be getting the SLK350 this november-early dec.

im seriously thinking of slapping on a BRABUS kit...anyone have any idea if i were to sell it in three years how much would it be worth?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 350 has a pretty long wait list, so does the 55. You will not be able to pick up any SLK in the year of 2004, period. No matter its a 350 or a 55. If you are those who change cars every 6 months and everytime you change is a AMG, then they might be able to squeeze one out for you. Other than that, you should feel lucky if you can get your car by spring of 2005.

I can never figure out your logic. One is a CAD67,000 car and the other is a CAD85,000 car. They are totally two different things. Its not whether it is leased or financed, its what you can afford??? If you can afford a 55, does it matter whether its lease or finance???

Last edited by Harris; 08-19-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:15 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
thanks lilrim
no AMG coming in till june next year so looks like im gonna get delivery of a 350 this november
Old 08-19-2004, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
a little news for you guys.

An slk350 just pulled up at beverly hills mercedes today and i talked to the driver (mercedes technical trainer for all employees) he is getting a cls in december!!!. So i talked to him for a while and asked about the rumor of mercedes changing their engines on hte slk55. He said its jsut a rumor and i can't deny nor confirm at this moment but he then said what's so good about mercedes is they are always changing it up. So meaning they are probably gonna put the 400hp in the slk55 for sure. The guy was really nice and talked to my buddy and i for a while about all the cars and what not. After he tests out the cls for 3 months he will be getting the gst. What a cool job to have.