SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series
View Poll Results: Would you chrome your AMG Wheels or leave stock?
Yes-Chrome looks better than stock on the 55.
25.93%
No-The stock spokes flat look is best on the 55.
59.26%
Go Aftermarket for Chrome Wheels.
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on AMG Wheels-To Chrome or Not???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Poll on AMG Wheels-To Chrome or Not???

Would you chrome you AMG wheels or leave stock?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 PM

Arrow

The Amistad 19" aftermarket wheels I have are a special process you can only get in Japan. Called SBC, it is like a black chrome, but really just not as fakey shiney, as gaudy, as the typical chrome job you get here in the US.

Like the SLK55, which doesn't have even a speck of chrome on it, the wheels don't desperately cry out for attention, they don't have to. Like the car, the wheels are so top of the line and good-looking, people just can't help but look and appreciate.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I first had my stock wheels on my SLK 55 for about 3 weeks, then I got the stock wheels chromed. The next day I went to school and a lot of people came up to me and said that my car looked so much better with chrome. The funny thing was that it was a cloudy day (almost about to rain) and the chrome still sparkled really nice. I am happy I got the wheels chromed.

The Amistand 19 inch rims are really nice. They have more spokes on the wheels than the stock AMG wheels. If you get the Diamond Silver SLK 55 AMG, then get the blue 19 inch Amistand rims. They will match your car color. Amistand also has the same wheels in polish, black (not really the color black, but a darker color of polish) and I think the last style was silver or gold. The black Amistad (the dark one) looks really good on irridium silver so you don't have to be a person with a black SLK 55 to get that one.

These are the questions you should be asking yourself:
1st- Do you want your SLK 55 to have looks (to make it look better) and have sparkles on the rims? Then go chrome.
2nd- Do you want to spend a lot of money? Then go Amistad
3rd- You find out that Amistad is to much and you can't get it, should I get Chrome AMG wheels or different aftermarket wheels? Go with the Chrome AMG wheels.
4th- Am I voiding the warranty if I do not pick a MBZ or AMG wheels? Yes you are, don't argue on this with me, you are voiding it.
5th- Am I voiding the warranty if I go above the rim size limit? Yes you are, Mercedes Benz and AMG have decided that only 17 inch wheels and 18 inch wheels can be put on the car, they don't care if you put 19 inch wheels on, but if your axle brakes, they can say the reasons was because there are 19 inch wheels on the car and you voided the warranty and now you have to pay for it. Don't argue with me on this. It is true, a lot of people do this to their SUV's, they put 24 inch rims to 28 inch rims, the axle brakes and the company won't cover it.

Last edited by Deuce; 01-31-2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 PM

There were pros and cons to buying my SLK55 used at 1600 miles. I think this is one of the pluses(?). I bought my car from a dealer with a warranty on the car as I bought it, with the aftermarket wheels. Obviously, there is no warranty on the wheels as they are not MB wheels, and the tires have their own Pirelli warranty, but these I expect to have to replace anyway eventually, but on the entire car I got the std warranty, starmark warranty and extended warranty, no problem.

Note - I found that the dealer took off the black tinting on the windows that had been installed, but probably not for warranty issues, maybe because they were slightly illegal
Old 01-31-2005, 05:02 PM

I just asked DC at Amistad ( www.CANautoclub.com ) how much my wheels were and he said between $4-5,000. The 19" Pirelli's are another $1,200 with installation of everything under $100.

Everything else SLK 55 AMG says is right on it, especially about the color matching. The most compliments I get are that the wheels match the car perfectly.

Pics - https://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/94801-pics-my-slk-55-w-custom-19-wheels.html

Last edited by lisamcgu; 01-31-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
DXC

Originally Posted by AMG SLK55

Personally, I would save $ on 1-pc wheels and leave it stock and get multi-pc wheels in chrome in the future.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:16 PM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG SLK55
No way! I hate chromed wheels.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM

Show me proof that if i dont put a mercedes or amg wheel on the car that the warrenty is void. I have had brabus, giovanna, and HRE rims over the years, and not once did the dealer comment on anything, and I had wheel bearings and front shocks replaced under warrenty along with sway bar bushings.

Even if it does void the warrenty, just take the wheels off and put the stock ones on and go to the dealer. haha
Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
DXC

Originally Posted by x15jq
Even if it does void the warrenty, just take the wheels off and put the stock ones on and go to the dealer. haha