SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430 Sport
SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler

Silver , what an amazing piece of art, especially in person. All it said on the window was 465,000 MSRP. If only they would give me 400,000 for my trade in......
Old 01-30-2006, 06:51 PM
ON PROBATION

They are spectacular machines, that's for sure.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 PM

2001 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by ClayJ
They are spectacular machines, that's for sure.

ClayJ, where would you rank it in a list of all around supercars?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Ummmm... Tough question....

My opinion or take-

The thing about supercars is that they all tend to be 'super' -- some stand out spectacularly in some areas - and 'falter' a little bit in others (design and engineering, or 'trade-offs').

They do all tend to be 'unique' - a unique expression by the manufacturer of what a 'super' car is, or their vision of what one should be, and of what one should do, and of what the experience of owning and driving a supercar should be - or could be.

For all it is design and engineering - and build. For most it is performance: power, handling, braking, acceleration, and speed. For some it is also style, interior and exterior. For a few it is 'normal' daily driveablility along with 'super' performance and design, engineering, and build.

The SLR is unique; and it is a well-done expression of, and succeeds in, design, engineering, build, style, performance, experience, and daily driveability.

It also doesn't cost close to a million dollars, and they are making a bunch of them (relatively) -- which although less than very important to many supercar buyers, does make it more attainable to more people. I personally like attainability - I am not one to wish for non-attainability so that a car is rarer and more valuable because of its limited production numbers.

Having said all that? It is one of the best Grand Tourers IMO of the supercars of which I am aware. It has a very high level of civility and daily driveability, to complement its high level of performance, among the other supercars. It has useable cargo or luggage capacity - which half of its brethren don't have. Its attainability - depending on which way one values that factor - sets it apart from most of its brethren. It is definately not rough, or too spare in its finish, amenities, and usage; which also sets it apart from many of its brethren.

In summary? The SLR is not as 'spectacular' or 'over-the-top' as many of its brethren; but it is more usable - and competently, and comfortably so - than many of its brethren. The SLR does not force you to accept as many trade-offs as most of its brethren. And I love 'em! LOL

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-31-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by RickyE430
Silver , what an amazing piece of art, especially in person. All it said on the window was 465,000 MSRP. If only they would give me 400,000 for my trade in......
MB of Chandler is the LAST place I'd look for one... how in the world did they get one? I'll have to take a drive down an look (If they let me near it!)...
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM

There was one at the Pavilions show in Scottsdale last Saturday. Amazing technology, but the car is not that good looking IMHO. Supercar performance, but kit car looks I would take a Gullwing over one anyday
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM

2001 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by CE750
MB of Chandler is the LAST place I'd look for one... how in the world did they get one? I'll have to take a drive down an look (If they let me near it!)...
I was surprised also. They are remodeling the building. IMHO the remodel and the car mostly have to do with their new neighbor....Lexus of Chandler. I was a bit taken by the fact, one that the car was there, and two that it was right next to all the construction. I mean RIGHT next to it. CRAZY
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 PM

2001 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Ummmm... Tough question....

My opinion or take-

The thing about supercars is that they all tend to be 'super' -- some stand out spectacularly in some areas - and 'falter' a little bit in others (design and engineering, or 'trade-offs').

They do all tend to be 'unique' - a unique expression by the manufacturer of what a 'super' car is, or their vision of what one should be, and of what one should do, and of what the experience of owning and driving a supercar should be - or could be.

For all it is design and engineering - and build. For most it is performance: power, handling, braking, acceleration, and speed. For some it is also style, interior and exterior. For a few it is 'normal' daily driveablility along with 'super' performance and design, engineering, and build.

The SLR is unique; and it is a well-done expression of, and succeeds in, design, engineering, build, style, performance, experience, and daily driveability.

It also doesn't cost close to a million dollars, and they are making a bunch of them (relatively) -- which although less than very important to many supercar buyers, does make it more attainable to more people. I personally like attainability - I am not one to wish for non-attainability so that a car is rarer and more valuable because of its limited production numbers.

Having said all that? It is one of the best Grand Tourers IMO of the supercars of which I am aware. It has a very high level of civility and daily driveability, to complement its high level of performance, among the other supercars. It has useable cargo or luggage capacity - which half of its brethren don't have. Its attainability - depending on which way one values that factor - sets it apart from most of its brethren. It is definately not rough, or too spare in its finish, amenities, and usage; which also sets it apart from many of its brethren.

In summary? The SLR is not as 'spectacular' or 'over-the-top' as many of its brethren; but it is more usable - and competently, and comfortably so - than many of its brethren. The SLR does not force you to accept as many trade-offs as most of its brethren. And I love 'em! LOL
Very very well put. Not having any experience with the SLR or any "supercar" for that matter it's very interesting to hear the thoughts from someone that has. It's so hard to take what a magazine article or TV program has to say seriously, they all seem very bias. Seeing the car in person was amazing. It's like a sculpture, but I do like the look of Lambo's and Ferrari's a bit better. What intrigues me is the balance of power in what looks like would be a very comfortable car ( I say "looks" to be comfortable because I can't imagine it has the ride of an S class Thanks for the reply, very insightful
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update..

I just talked to a friend and business partner, and he said that this SLR was his originally, he had placed the order... but the price went from $250K to $450K in the two years, so he decided to get two more F430's..

Small world.. We're going to swing by there Thursday to check it out.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
A_B

Mercedes
Just to add my opinion of the Mclaren.

I normally would associate a super car as being fast, extremely good looking and able to draw attention. The Mclaren is only two of these things. It is fast at 618HP, it’s extremely good looking with its gull wings and side gills, but one thing it doesn’t do is attract attention. Brand new Slrs here sell for around 600k, 690 (after 15% tax that our government takes) but paying this type of money for the car, which I agree is worth it for a mclaren because I love it that much. Its one of those cars that people understand or they don’t if you pull up to a red light and people take a glance at it, they may be like oh ok its just a nice Mercedes probably around 100k. If you were to do pull up at a red light with a Lamborghini people go insane. I’ll give you two personal examples. One night a friend called me and said to be outside of my house and that he was coming over, so he comes over with his friend’s SLR Mclaren, I was in shock – because I knew what this car was and knew how fast it is, how much it cost…etc after driving around in it we got a few stares from other drivers but nothing over the top, the friend driving also commented that he did in fact get one person to ask him if that was in fact a Mclaren and asked him all about it. My next example is with a Lamborghini, I was walking home from school one day and I looked to the left and saw a yellow Lamborghini and I was in shock (first time I’ve seen on one the road) I’m not sure what type it was, I think a murcielago, but what I noticed is there was about one other person stopped looking at it at the intersection, people in their cars pointing at it, some taking pictures. The murcielago is about 400k Canadian. Lamborghini has done a fine job in the ability of their cars being able to draw this attention; Mercedes just has some catching up to do if they want to master a super car.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I LOVE the Mercedes Food Chain.....stealer told me they have TWO SL65's that owner wants gone in 2 weeks as they need to make room for the......SLR.

Funny, he's like "you wanna make a good deal.....we need to move um"

I told him good deal to me would be 125K.....he laughed and laughed.

Anyway, you want a good deal on an SL65....

Mercedes-Benz of Lindon: Sales
(801) 227-3200
544 S Lindon Park Dr
Lindon, UT 84042
Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 AM

2001 E430 Sport
Update..

I just talked to a friend and business partner, and he said that this SLR was his originally, he had placed the order... but the price went from $250K to $450K in the two years, so he decided to get two more F430's..

Small world.. We're going to swing by there Thursday to check it out.
Small world is right ! Very interesting. Two more F430's....poor guy, j/k I guess I would ask myself the same thing.....One Red F430 and one Black 430 for Friday's or 1 SLR...hhhmmmmmmmm
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM

2001 E430 Sport
Small world is right ! Very interesting. Two more F430's....poor guy, j/k I guess I would ask myself the same thing.....One Red F430 and one Black 430 for Friday's or 1 SLR...hhhmmmmmmmm
OH CE750, Tell your buddy if he wants an E430 to go with the F430's to give me a call, I will gladly trade. The only difference is one letter in the alphabet right?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the heals of the NOKTSgate I will post these to lend "some" credibility to my statement.. he's a very nice guy, with more money that I'll probably ever have.. Made it in real estate development in Socal, and now is tapping into the Phoenix market (I'm a Junior investor in his group).

These were taken quite recently... they were both from the dealer and he paid sticker... a bout $230-$250K depending on the top...
Attached Thumbnails SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-2006-ferrari-f430-coupe-010.jpg   SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-2006-ferrari-f430-coupe-015.jpg   SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-2006-ferrari-f430-coupe-016.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 10:28 AM

2001 E430 Sport
On the heals of the NOKTSgate I will post these to lend "some" credibility to my statement.. he's a very nice guy, with more money that I'll probably ever have.. Made it in real estate development in Socal, and now is tapping into the Phoenix market (I'm a Junior investor in his group).

These were taken quite recently... they were both from the dealer and he paid sticker... a bout $230-$250K depending on the top...
WOW ! CE750, I hope you know I was not questioning your credibility...only attempting to be humorous. Thanks for the pics though, amazing cars!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW ! CE750, I hope you know I was not questioning your credibility...only attempting to be humorous. Thanks for the pics though, amazing cars!

No just being preemptive... "a vail of distrust and deceit" has descended on MBWorld and the forces of the darkside are in a struggle for our soul!

Now what's with this yoya character
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 AM

2001 E430 Sport
No just being preemptive... "a vail of distrust and deceit" has descended on MBWorld and the forces of the darkside are in a struggle for our soul!

Now what's with this yoya character
LOL, well put. I gotta run. The Flux capasitor on my hovercraft just went out.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Almost a Member!

FORD F350 PICK UP
Originally Posted by A_B
Just to add my opinion of the Mclaren.

I normally would associate a super car as being fast, extremely good looking and able to draw attention. The Mclaren is only two of these things. It is fast at 618HP, it’s extremely good looking with its gull wings and side gills, but one thing it doesn’t do is attract attention. Brand new Slrs here sell for around 600k, 690 (after 15% tax that our government takes) but paying this type of money for the car, which I agree is worth it for a mclaren because I love it that much. Its one of those cars that people understand or they don’t if you pull up to a red light and people take a glance at it, they may be like oh ok its just a nice Mercedes probably around 100k. If you were to do pull up at a red light with a Lamborghini people go insane.
I think It is because 99% of the people can not tell from SL 500 or SLR they think it is a SL500 because they just do not know
but when you see a lambo or a ferrari you know that you are looking at.

Rick O S SLR
Attached Thumbnails SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-slr-2006-010-small-large-medium-.jpg   SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-slr-2006-008-large-medium-.jpg   SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-dscf0038-medium-.jpg   SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler-slr-2006-001-large-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by ONE SICK SLR; 02-01-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK320
That's the beauty of the SLR, though. You know what you paid for it, and the people who know will know.

Do you really want to impress people who have no clue? Yes, the Ferrari is an incredible machine, but you're also buying the Bling Factor. It's perfect for people who want the flash, SLR is more low-key.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 PM

2006 X5 3.0i jet black

That neighborhood looks SO familiar..i deffinetly know it from somewhere this is gonna bug me.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bilabong356
That neighborhood looks SO familiar..i deffinetly know it from somewhere this is gonna bug me.
You're in Scottsdale (I used to live there).. so you're not far from where I am now..

If I met you face to face (like I've done with other PHX members) I'd tell you.. but for now, it's just another one of 100 Phoenix suburbs!

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about my bud? He's in PV, not far from Shea with the rest of the Phoenix area M(B)illionairs
Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM

2001 E430 Sport
CE750- Did you get a chance to check out the SLR today?

FYI- A few months back, Earnhardt Ford right next door to MB of Chandler had a GT50 in the show room. I just had to see it, but was really let down. Very boring car to look at IMO.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CE750- Did you get a chance to check out the SLR today?

FYI- A few months back, Earnhardt Ford right next door to MB of Chandler had a GT50 in the show room. I just had to see it, but was really let down. Very boring car to look at IMO.

No, I couldn't get him to stop by with me, I guess he feels he may have ticked off the dealer by backing off the order, and didn't want to go in unless he was going to buy something.. we spend all afternoon over by Arizona Ave, and Occatillo (Sp?).. looking at land.. what is your opinion of that area?

it seems like a mix bag if new and old.. but I'm not sure about it's future looking forwards.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:57 PM

2001 E430 Sport
No, I couldn't get him to stop by with me, I guess he feels he may have ticked off the dealer by backing off the order, and didn't want to go in unless he was going to buy something.. we spend all afternoon over by Arizona Ave, and Occatillo (Sp?).. looking at land.. what is your opinion of that area?

it seems like a mix bag if new and old.. but I'm not sure about it's future looking forwards.
Well hopefully you at least got to cruise around in the F430

That area is growing like wildfire. I think anything north of Riggs rd is great. Sure seems to be allot of development in the South Chandler/ Queen Creek area these days
Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well hopefully you at least got to cruise around in the F430
******* asked me to drive since we "might get dirt on our shoes"

been in it a few times though.... it just sounds like a loud go-cart frankly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR for sale @ MB of Chandler