SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???

has anyone forced MB to buy back the SLR because of the beak squeal?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Composite ceramic brakes will tend to squeal until they reach operating temperature...........squealing brakes on a car capable of 207 MPH does not constitute lemon law.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
It can be fixed..there is a gas inside the pads that needs to get released- one problem, most people won;t seat them properly, or don't have a place to do it....lets just say you need a lot of space and no traffic..did it once, you think rollercoasters make you want to hurl...All the SLR techs I have talked to that went through the procedure have said the squeal is gone..Got another one in today..for other things, but it needs it BAD..
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
ON PROBATION

Yep.

All new brake pads and rotors should be broken-in properly - but especially performance ones -- and I suppose most especially ceramic systems....

And all new performance rubber should likewise be properly heat-cycled and rested....
Old 07-30-2006, 12:54 AM

I complained for weeks ,then mclaren sent a newley designed set of calipers and pads,we'll see.it was getting so i would pick somthing else to drive that day.wen i was on the in car phone people would hang up on me wen ever i had to break .aside from that im reasonably happy with the car .
Old 08-04-2006, 02:38 AM

06 612 Scaglietti
My friends dad purchased an slr in April from fletcher jones and he is going to lemon the car because of the brake noises. Supposedly, mercedes ordered new brakes but his been waiting for them for a while. He have has a black/black one at the moment but after he lemons it, he might get a different color.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM

ive been driving with the new calipiers and pads for 3 days now and they dont make any noise but i have noticed a diference in performance .my rep says they just need to be bled bettr ,in 2 weeks they want a full report from me but i would rather have the performance and put up with the noise if it keeps me from pilin into the back of some grandma at 300
Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 AM

06 612 Scaglietti
Why not just request the dealer to do a buy back? Just tell them that you want a new one because this one isnt sufficient enough? What color is yours (exterior & interior).
Old 08-05-2006, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by 06CLK350
My friends dad purchased an slr in April from fletcher jones and he is going to lemon the car because of the brake noises. Supposedly, mercedes ordered new brakes but his been waiting for them for a while. He have has a black/black one at the moment but after he lemons it, he might get a different color.
Just tell him it isnt the brakes, but instead it's the sound the car makes when you pull back.

" Let me loose you b_stard .... I dont want to go slower ! "
Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Originally Posted by Bigsugar
ive been driving with the new calipiers and pads for 3 days now and they dont make any noise but i have noticed a diference in performance .my rep says they just need to be bled bettr ,in 2 weeks they want a full report from me but i would rather have the performance and put up with the noise if it keeps me from pilin into the back of some grandma at 300

Do you actually think people are going to believe you own an SLR when you can't even put a proper sentence together??
Old 08-05-2006, 08:52 AM

05 ML350, 85 300D

Why bother? It will make the same noises, unless they are broke in right and drove in such a manner as to keep them broke in. The chances of actually winning a lemon suit over this is awefull slim though- it is the nature of the beast, same as them catching on fire when on a race track The brakes I mean)- they do that.
Too many people own these cars that don't realize what it is, they just figure it's an expensive car- wrong- it's a super car and so it should not be expected to be like an SL, or an S-Class.

Bigsugar- I have seen new pads, but not calipers yet- if they weren't bled properly, the SBC would know it, and the bleeding procedure would not have finished. BTW..the parts come from MB- not Mclaren.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by MBTech21
Why bother? It will make the same noises, unless they are broke in right and drove in such a manner as to keep them broke in. The chances of actually winning a lemon suit over this is awefull slim though- it is the nature of the beast, same as them catching on fire when on a race track The brakes I mean)- they do that.
Too many people own these cars that don't realize what it is, they just figure it's an expensive car- wrong- it's a super car and so it should not be expected to be like an SL, or an S-Class.

Bigsugar- I have seen new pads, but not calipers yet- if they weren't bled properly, the SBC would know it, and the bleeding procedure would not have finished. BTW..the parts come from MB- not Mclaren.
Do the pads pads burn or just the air around them ?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
ON PROBATION

MBTech21 -

Old 08-05-2006, 08:56 PM

SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???-sssssickslr-013.jpg

SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???-sssssickslr-015.jpg

SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???-sssssickslr-016.jpg

SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???-sssssickslr-019.jpg
Originally Posted by Glassjaw

Do you actually think people are going to believe you own an SLR when you can't even put a proper sentence together??

i guess they will now!!!

Last edited by Bigsugar; 08-05-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 PM

well if thats the case performance is cut in half with the new pads and calipers pluss they r ugly.im willing to put up with the noise ...case closed.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 AM

05 ML350, 85 300D
well if thats the case performance is cut in half with the new pads and calipers pluss they r ugly.im willing to put up with the noise ...case closed.

The fact that you said they are ugly suggests that they put the red calipers on in place of the grey ones. They are the same caliper- just different color.
It sounds like they are not seated yet, the procedure involves stopping 8-10 times just before ABS deployment from 70-0, one right after the other- thats what makes doing it kind of hard. If you are in Vancouver they should have a dyno they could do it on. My brother and sister both live in Vancouver.

benzmodz.. as far as I can tell from the videos I have seen (I've never got one hot enough for that), its the pads and the air around them. It usually happens if you stop driving after using them to their max, I guess they need a cool-down lap.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=MBTech21]The fact that you said they are ugly suggests that they put the red calipers on in place of the grey ones. They are the same caliper- just different color.
It sounds like they are not seated yet, the procedure involves stopping 8-10 times just before ABS deployment from 70-0, one right after the other- thats what makes doing it kind of hard. If you are in Vancouver they should have a dyno they could do it on. My brother and sister both live in Vancouver.

no i ordered the red ones in the first place the new ones are bigger my rep from toronto said they are weighted or somthing ,he also said they were like the calipers on the maybach . i tryed seating them last night and they work a little bettr the pedal is still way too soft and now they make noise again (not as bad though) .and vancouver dosent have a dyno .
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
i guess they will now!!!
Meh, I'm still not convinced. But it really doesn't matter. Nice looking color, though, if it is yours.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 AM

06 612 Scaglietti

Actually, it is very easy to win a lemon suit now days. I won it just a few months ago because my 745li's intergrated phone system wasnt working. Also, mercedes should notify its slr customers that the slr has problems like this. He was not told. He would have purchased a carrera gt if he knew about this.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 AM

Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
slr brakes

First of you cannot lemon law an SLR on brake noise for two reasons, first it does not meet any of the lemon law criteria, i.e, safety, value or performance, and secondly, when you took delivery of the vehicle from the dealer, you signed a piece of paper(weather you knew it or not) saying that squeaks, rattles, and weird loud noises were normal for this kind of vehicle.
Also the modified pads and callipers, will take car of the noise, but if you track the car, the noise will come back.
Proper "de-glaze procedure is, 100km/h to 30km/h at half brake pedal, 10 times,
then 100km/h to 30 km/h with full brake pedal 10 times with full abs intervention by the 4th attempt.
then drive 5km to cool of the brakes and prevent glazing.
This works, and I got a ticket from LA PD for recless driving doing it in a clients car.
Another thing to consider, for any owners, if you have changed the wheels on an SLR, you have totally screwed up the under body aero and cooling of the car.
the wheels are that design fo a reson not just looks!! br careful
Old 08-10-2006, 02:43 AM

06 612 Scaglietti
Originally Posted by damaged
First of you cannot lemon law an SLR on brake noise for two reasons, first it does not meet any of the lemon law criteria, i.e, safety, value or performance, and secondly, when you took delivery of the vehicle from the dealer, you signed a piece of paper(weather you knew it or not) saying that squeaks, rattles, and weird loud noises were normal for this kind of vehicle.
Also the modified pads and callipers, will take car of the noise, but if you track the car, the noise will come back.
Proper "de-glaze procedure is, 100km/h to 30km/h at half brake pedal, 10 times,
then 100km/h to 30 km/h with full brake pedal 10 times with full abs intervention by the 4th attempt.
then drive 5km to cool of the brakes and prevent glazing.
This works, and I got a ticket from LA PD for recless driving doing it in a clients car.
Another thing to consider, for any owners, if you have changed the wheels on an SLR, you have totally screwed up the under body aero and cooling of the car.
the wheels are that design fo a reson not just looks!! br careful

First off, we have already talked to a lemon law attorney, actually the largest in L.A that states that he can lemon the car for this reason. Second off, mercedes never made us sign a paper stating that the brakes can make noise. If we new about this issue before, we wouldnt have purchased the car. Hello??? And actually, for the first 1000 miles, you have a brake in the brakes very calmly. You cannot purchase the car and head to vegas. You have to drive it normally. After that you are recommmended to open her up. The car currently has 1600 miles on it and we have opened 130. That isnt a lot, but this problem should not occur in the first place.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 AM

Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
First off, we have already talked to a lemon law attorney, actually the largest in L.A that states that he can lemon the car for this reason. Second off, mercedes never made us sign a paper stating that the brakes can make noise. If we new about this issue before, we wouldnt have purchased the car. Hello??? And actually, for the first 1000 miles, you have a brake in the brakes very calmly. You cannot purchase the car and head to vegas. You have to drive it normally. After that you are recommmended to open her up. The car currently has 1600 miles on it and we have opened 130. That isnt a lot, but this problem should not occur in the first place.
not sure who did the delivery of the vehicle for you, but they did not explain the breakin procedure correctly.
Brakes and tyres require a 100 mile break in, it is the drive train and power plant that are limited to 4500rpm for 1000 miles.
You said you called a "lemon law" attorney, did you think he would say he can't win the case??
Be very carful, MB have very good attorneys, and don't don't very often loose in court.
I was one of the first MB techs to be SLR certified, and currently maintain and service over 7 SLR's and have well over 5000miles driving in various vehicles, both here, in Europe and on road and tracks.
Dont want to get into a pissing contest, but if you would like some free contructive advise please feel free to call me. 818-521-2332, happy to help of just fix the car.
Where did you buy it?, give me the last eight of the vin, I will run the VMI and check the history for you.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:30 AM
ON PROBATION

Nice job, damaged.

That is the kind of help that I like to see forum members give to each other.

Good stuff.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 AM

06 612 Scaglietti
Originally Posted by damaged
not sure who did the delivery of the vehicle for you, but they did not explain the breakin procedure correctly.
Brakes and tyres require a 100 mile break in, it is the drive train and power plant that are limited to 4500rpm for 1000 miles.
You said you called a "lemon law" attorney, did you think he would say he can't win the case??
Be very carful, MB have very good attorneys, and don't don't very often loose in court.
I was one of the first MB techs to be SLR certified, and currently maintain and service over 7 SLR's and have well over 5000miles driving in various vehicles, both here, in Europe and on road and tracks.
Dont want to get into a pissing contest, but if you would like some free contructive advise please feel free to call me. 818-521-2332, happy to help of just fix the car.
Where did you buy it?, give me the last eight of the vin, I will run the VMI and check the history for you.
Ok thanks, i'll give you a call to see what we can do about the slr. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 AM

Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
Ok thanks, i'll give you a call to see what we can do about the slr. Thanks.
Happy to be of help.
Look forward to the call 818-521-2332
Damian

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR/C199/R199/Z199: SLR McLaren - Break Squeal - LEMON???