SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: I need a Psychiatrist!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
Originally Posted by McLAREN SLR
Magwheel welcome to the family
I was out last week driving my SLR around running it hard pulling 100'-150' hole shots with it from every light I stoped at. At one point I was running 140+ mph and it felt like I was driving 80 mph it is a sick car to drive

As for Boats you need a boat like this it is just like an SLR

Rick
Forget the car. I love the house
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM

X5, E320cdi ,E220,R-Royce,Jag MKII and more...
It will be come today!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 PM

2007 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Silverstone F1
Question Guess what came this morning?

Originally Posted by sooners
did some really ask if the 07 porshe 997 turbo, was fast fast fast , what a dill weed... no , its really slow, congrats on your Mclaren, that is the finest car in the world, enjoy in good health.
Hey Sooners, Thanks for the congrats! Got the car this morning around 11:00 or so. Brutal... just brutal! I really love the Crystal Laurite Silver and the Silver Arrow Red leather interior is just 'marvelous'!

But... there's stuff I'm a little disappointed with. Give me a few more days and I'll give you a pretty decent review. There's some things I'm pissed off with McLaren about and this time I'm taking the gloves off and giving you guys and (girls) the 'inside scoop' straight from the horses mouth!

Honestly, the car is the 'cat's ***' as I so often like to say but there really are some items that almost any one of us could have said, "Hey... McLaren... what the hell did you do this for?'

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I got the car and glad I did the trade for it. It absolutely will be driven a lot more than I drove the Ford GT and almost as much as I would have driven the Porsche 997 Turbo. Meanwhile, everyone take care. "I'll be back!" The Mags
Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Bummed Out!!!

Originally Posted by McLAREN SLR
Magwheel welcome to the family
I was out last week driving my SLR around running it hard pulling 100'-150' hole shots with it from every light I stoped at. At one point I was running 140+ mph and it felt like I was driving 80 mph it is a sick car to drive Rick
Hi Rick, Have you hooked up a radar detector yet? I got my V1 plugged in but the damn power socket is under the armrest (ala BMW Z8) and it sticks up so high, I can't shut the armrest lid! I really don't want to hard-wire it and certainly don't want to use my Solo (Battery powered) because of it's lack of volume and sensitivity.

I'm ready to try and buy a low profile cigarette plug, cut the wires and connect the V1 direct wire setup to the low profile plug.

Have you had better luck? Magwheel

Last edited by magwheel; 01-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

cl500-o5, s500 sedan-o4, new s550 sedan
Magwheel, can't wait for the review, hard to believe those cars are not perfect,a guy here at my country club has got one and it is awesome. I mean, just an amazing automobile. Sometimes i get pretty tempted myself, but so far i have exersized control.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by magwheel
Hey Sooners, Thanks for the congrats! Got the car this morning around 11:00 or so. Brutal... just brutal! I really love the Crystal Laurite Silver and the Silver Arrow Red leather interior is just 'marvelous'!

But... there's stuff I'm a little disappointed with. Give me a few more days and I'll give you a pretty decent review. There's some things I'm pissed off with McLaren about and this time I'm taking the gloves off and giving you guys and (girls) the 'inside scoop' straight from the horses mouth!

Honestly, the car is the 'cat's ***' as I so often like to say but there really are some items that almost any one of us could have said, "Hey... McLaren... what the hell did you do this for?'

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I got the car and glad I did the trade for it. It absolutely will be driven a lot more than I drove the Ford GT and almost as much as I would have driven the Porsche 997 Turbo. Meanwhile, everyone take care. "I'll be back!" The Mags

Whats with the teaser! Some of us are stuck with freezing rain and we need to live vicariously! What are the big issues at this point?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Hey magwheel! I grew up on the north side of Y-town, but now live in Charlotte, NC. Two days ago I sold my 997 Turbo for an F430, but really wanted to step up to the CGT or SLR. I was wondering your impressions. I cannot believe how much I love the F430, but wondered how it compares to the SLR. I really don't care about all out performance, but overall driving experience and "pride of ownership". Do you check on your SLR in the garage even when you are not driving it? Looked into the 599, but they basically wanted the 997 Turbo and some change over sticker. I have noticed in my MB vehicles that sometimes my V1 and Garmin GPS units do not work as well as they do in my other cars. I think it is because of the window coatings. There is a road in Charlotte that always triggers a "false" alarm on my V1 in all my vehicles except the benzes. I know MB thinks of everything, but I think the hardwired route will be your best option if you can figure out a way not to cut anything so the sensors are outside of the vehicle greenhouse.

Thanks, Brian

Last edited by LuvnHP; 01-13-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Request Pictures Pictures Pictures and a Review
Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Two nicest 'rear ends'

Originally Posted by Alex_Spider
Request Pictures Pictures Pictures and a Review
Man... You guys are tough! Here's a few pics of the McLaren SLR and her sidekick in the garage. It's been raining here for the last few days so I can't get some decent outside pics. When the sun shines again, I'll try and take some better pictures.

As far as the review, I've only driven her 5-7 miles so far and I don't think I can give you a good review until I've driven the car a couple more times. The nit-picks I'm referring to are not to tease you but I want to do a honest evaluation and not a piecemeal comment here and there!

BTW.... aren't those maybe the two nicest 'rear ends' you've seen in a while? Magwheel
Attached Thumbnails I need a Psychiatrist!-mclaren-slr-carrera-gt.jpg   I need a Psychiatrist!-mclaren-slr-carrera-gt-close-up.jpg   I need a Psychiatrist!-mclaren-slr-left-rear.jpg   I need a Psychiatrist!-mclaren-slr-left-side.jpg   I need a Psychiatrist!-mclaren-slr-rear.jpg  

Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 PM

X5, E320cdi ,E220,R-Royce,Jag MKII and more...
Congrats! Looks really nice. Love it. You has the nicest stable at the world. That is the best Mercedes what are ever build. Sorry for my bad english.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM

06 612 Scaglietti
Im toooo poor! Congrats. I'll cant wait to hear the review. Do you brakes squeak?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Thumbs up

congrats on the SLR! I saw much of your stable in pics over on 6speedonline and I must say you have amazing taste. enjoy the beast.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 PM

CTG is one of the best cars on the market the back of the SLR is very mercedes, i never understood the front end though in my opinion, 80% of the car until the very front end is very nice, and then its like the inspiration is gone.
enjoy man, nice collection, post pics of the F1 if u dont mind
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280
Pics of the wife or ban?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:03 PM

An Affalterbach Beast & Others

Gee Magwheel, this was so unexpected from you. j/k

I think you'd be crazy not to go crazy on a nice day, I'd want to drive each of them all day, enjoy your new addition, I'm enjoying just looking at the pictures.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM

2001 CLK 320
Wow Magwheel, congrats on your new ride man... You have quite an impressive garage, where do you park the rest of your vehicles? That is one beautiful vehicle. I am also dying to hear how you going to compare the CGT to the SLR.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
How did I know this was going to happen!

From reading the review, to reading other posts you talked about the SLR, I wondered how long you'd go on convincing yourself that you don't want it. I suppose it was only a matter of time you'd be forced to lose one to gain one (in this case lose 2 to gain one). Personally, I think you made the right choice, the Ford GT is great, but it's no SLR; and as for the Porsche, you still do have one!

One car that seems like it'll never go is the Ferrari F430, is it just me or do you love that car?

Anyway, congrats! Now you are a 4-Star Mercedes Owner!

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Wink I wondered how long you'd go.....?

Originally Posted by tee_tz
How did I know this was going to happen!

From reading the review, to reading other posts you talked about the SLR, I wondered how long you'd go on convincing yourself that you don't want it. I suppose it was only a matter of time you'd be forced to lose one to gain one (in this case lose 2 to gain one). Personally, I think you made the right choice, the Ford GT is great, but it's no SLR; and as for the Porsche, you still do have one!

One car that seems like it'll never go is the Ferrari F430, is it just me or do you love that car?

Anyway, congrats! Now you are a 4-Star Mercedes Owner!

Tee_Tz.
Hi tee_tz, You're just what I need as a good friend.... a mind reader!!! You probably could have told me what cars I would eventually get the 'hots' for so I could do some pre-purchasing inquiries!

Anyhow, you're right on the F430. The car is too 'sweet' to even think of selling unless I could find a Ferrari to replace it. 599? Ummmm.... The jury's still out on that car for me. I think the F430 is more 'exotic' looking. Enzo? Ummmmm..... Hell yeah... in a heartbeat!!! But their prices are insane. As ridiculous as this may sound, I don't have the financial 'strength' to buy one without selling 3 or 4 other cars! And no way would I do that.

At one point in time late last summer , I considered selling the Carrera GT to buy a Murcielago Roadster but then I 'saw the light'! The Murcielago Coupe I had was fanatastic, outrageous and kwazy! But I decided to buy some cars that I could put some more miles on and even drive in the rain (as insane as that might sound). I had the Murcie 8 or 9 months and had only 600 or so miles on her. Kinda dumb holding on to her.

BTW, I'm really enjoying the Mercedes (what's plural?). I finally have some neat rides I can drive in all weather and enjoy a little bit more. Magwheel
Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Magwheel,

I am in need of psychiatrist after reading your lack of financial strength to purchase an EnZO?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles

BTW.... aren't those maybe the two nicest 'rear ends' you've seen in a while? Magwheel

Very nice indeed

Hopefully your latest toy will keep you pleased for a little while
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Question Lack of financial strength

Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Magwheel,

I am in need of psychiatrist after reading your lack of financial strength to purchase an EnZO?
Hi Adam, I hope I didn't come off as a 'pompous ***' cause I really wasn't trying to. It's just that at the present time an Enzo is going for 1.1 to 1.3 mil. that's certainly more than a SL550 or a S550 and more than twice as much as a SLR.

You can see where I had to trade/sell the Ford GT AND the 997 Turbo to be able to fit the SLR into the 'scheme' of things. I wish I had the 'moolah' of Gates or Buffet but I'm OK where I'm at. I can still pay cash at McDonalds and Burger King!

Again... I not trying to be a jerk. Everyone has their limit... including me. Michael
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Mag, dont worry about it but i do love the collection of your cars. Its my dream and goal to one day possess these real race cars. Until then, back to work!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 PM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow =] ,
Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
........................ Mercedes (what's plural?)............
Maybe MBs. Or, is it Mercedeses? Hmmmmmmmmm. Just a guess. I am no English teacher, but I do have a working knowledge of the language.

Congrats on such a fine collection of rides. I am looking forward to reading your indepth review of the SLR.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Schweeeet!!! Enjoy racking up the miles. (and thanks for sharing )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLR/C199/R199/Z199: I need a Psychiatrist!