SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Squeal

Has Mercedes rectified this problem? I heard there was a recall? Is that true?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM

C63 507
apparently they are changing the pads. but i have zero brake squeal on mine so im not sure every one has this problem
Old 03-25-2007, 03:03 PM

What year is yours? I am looking to purchase one asap. Is there any difference between an 05-06? Im also thinking of doing some mods such as exhaust, airfilters, supercharger pulley and ECU.

Have you had any issues with yours? How do you like it so far? Im just worried ill get bored with it being an autobox? How does it shift in paddle mode? When I drove one, I just kept it in automode.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:44 PM

C63 507
allan heres my take on the car:

when i first saw it in pictures i thought it was pretty friggin ugly and hugely overpriced. then i saw one in person and i thought it looked pretty good. the dealer let me drive it around the block and i was floored. i had it out for about 10 minutes and drove it back to back against an sl65 that i had out for the day. anybody who has ever compared these two cars or think they would take an sl65 over the slr because the hp is the same has never driven an slr. compared to the slr the 65 feels completely out of control- like its all engine. there simply is NO comparison between the two.

anyway, i passed on the slr because i still didnt think it was worth the money. about a month ago a silver/red 2005 came up for sale with 2000 miles. the price was right and i had to seriously consider it. the dealer let me take the car on a 30 minute test drive. it was pretty cold so the tires wouldnt hook up but u know ur in a special car. they had a 599 there and it just seemed like a nice ferrai but didnt have that 'special feel' compared to the slr. once u get into the slr u know ur in for a treat. so i bought the car and absolutely love it.

the slr gets a knock for being too civilized. well for me i like that. i live in toronto and traffic can get pretty bad. i do not want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic with a CGT or even a 430. i do want to sit in my automatic with perfect ac and be comfortable while i make my way home or wherever. when the traffic clears open it up, it becomes a completely different car! will u get bored of the car? maybe, but it is two cars in one. the civilized car and the complete beast.

i know u well from ferrarichat, lambopower etc and know u like big hp cars with lots of torque. which is one of the reasons u didnt like the 360 at all. i own or have owned 2 360's, a modified porsche 993tt, a modified porsche 996tt, a bentley gt, a cl55 and pretty much everything u can think of except lambo's. i was almost going to buy a gallardo spider but bought the slr. the murci just seems to big and bulky for me. based on ur comments from various boards i cannot see you being less than thrilled with this car. the acceleration is wicked at any speed, as expected, but the handling is amazing. mclaren has done an amazing job with this car. lane to lane changes are neck breaking- crank the steering wheel and u r transported to the next lane. like u i am hard on my cars. i used to have my racing license and have done tons of track days. this car is so far above my skills i cant believe it. and yet it doesnt feels like it will bite u in the *** like a cgt would. the car feels loyal to ur inputs and lets u know if ur getting into trouble. it cannot be compared to anything i have ever owned. i know the numbers in the magazines are amazing but u simply cannot understand the car by numbers alone. a z06- which i love- has similar numbers but again feels NOTHING like this car. and again, for me the best part is backing off the gas and just cruising home if i want to or if i hit traffic. the only negative is the long friggin nose which i have scraped on parking curbs twice. f#$!.

the autotranny is better than the cl55's i had. there r three settings in the sport mode and they do make a difference, especially on the downshift. or put it in manual mode and it allows the car to stay in gear even if it bumps the rev limiter. however, it is not nearly as raw feeling as the f1 in the ferrari's. but again, for me thats a plus, i had 3 ferrari and and only 1 was f1. i dont really like the jerky feeling or a computer controlling the clutch. if this car were a manual it would be insane- but it would take away that every day useability that no other supercar has.

from what i understand you can get some brabus mods but im going to leave the car stock for now. i would probably consider changing the wheels and making the exhaust louder but i wouldnt touch the engine. i dont want to have a problem and have the warranty voided. if you do mod ur engine u will have a serious race car on ur hands with suspension that CAN handle the power, unlike the sl65 which feels like the chasis cannot keep up with the engine. You could probably buy some 722 parts but they will likely have big costs.

from my mb slr dealer there are zero changes from 05-06.

considering all the cars i have had i can truly say that this car is seriously world class in every regard. i mean it could have a better stereo or better quality buttons but thats the only knock i could give it. it will give you a serious adrenalin rush and take u home in comfort too- u get to decide. i know u have driven cars as fast in a straight line and cars that sounded alot meaner and more exotic but this is truly levels above the 430's and muric's. although i cant comment on the lp or 599 because i havent driven them i cant even believe 430 spiders are nearly the same cost. take a look at the the way this car was built and u know why its so expensive. there are high end racing parts throughout the entire vehicles engine, brakes, aerodynamics and suspension.

this car is the real deal on so many levels.

Last edited by johnw(to); 03-25-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by johnw(to)
allan heres my take on the car:

when i first saw it in pictures i thought it was pretty friggin ugly and hugely overpriced. then i saw one in person and i thought it looked pretty good. the dealer let me drive it around the block and i was floored. i had it out for about 10 minutes and drove it back to back against an sl65 that i had out for the day. anybody who has ever compared these two cars or think they would take an sl65 over the slr because the hp is the same has never driven an slr. compared to the slr the 65 feels completely out of control- like its all engine. there simply is NO comparison between the two.

anyway, i passed on the slr because i still didnt think it was worth the money. about a month ago a silver/red 2005 came up for sale with 2000 miles. the price was right and i had to seriously consider it. the dealer let me take the car on a 30 minute test drive. it was pretty cold so the tires wouldnt hook up but u know ur in a special car. they had a 599 there and it just seemed like a nice ferrai but didnt have that 'special feel' compared to the slr. once u get into the slr u know ur in for a treat. so i bought the car and absolutely love it.

the slr gets a knock for being too civilized. well for me i like that. i live in toronto and traffic can get pretty bad. i do not want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic with a CGT or even a 430. i do want to sit in my automatic with perfect ac and be comfortable while i make my way home or wherever. when the traffic clears open it up, it becomes a completely different car! will u get bored of the car? maybe, but it is two cars in one. the civilized car and the complete beast.

i know u well from ferrarichat, lambopower etc and know u like big hp cars with lots of torque. which is one of the reasons u didnt like the 360 at all. i own or have owned 2 360's, a modified porsche 993tt, a modified porsche 996tt, a bentley gt, a cl55 and pretty much everything u can think of except lambo's. i was almost going to buy a gallardo spider but bought the slr. the murci just seems to big and bulky for me. based on ur comments from various boards i cannot see you being less than thrilled with this car. the acceleration is wicked at any speed, as expected, but the handling is amazing. mclaren has done an amazing job with this car. lane to lane changes are neck breaking- crank the steering wheel and u r transported to the next lane. like u i am hard on my cars. i used to have my racing license and have done tons of track days. this car is so far above my skills i cant believe it. and yet it doesnt feels like it will bite u in the *** like a cgt would. the car feels loyal to ur inputs and lets u know if ur getting into trouble. it cannot be compared to anything i have ever owned. i know the numbers in the magazines are amazing but u simply cannot understand the car by numbers alone. a z06- which i love- has similar numbers but again feels NOTHING like this car. and again, for me the best part is backing off the gas and just cruising home if i want to or if i hit traffic. the only negative is the long friggin nose which i have scraped on parking curbs twice. f#$!.

the autotranny is better than the cl55's i had. there r three settings in the sport mode and they do make a difference, especially on the downshift. or put it in manual mode and it allows the car to stay in gear even if it bumps the rev limiter. however, it is not nearly as raw feeling as the f1 in the ferrari's. but again, for me thats a plus, i had 3 ferrari and and only 1 was f1. i dont really like the jerky feeling or a computer controlling the clutch. if this car were a manual it would be insane- but it would take away that every day useability that no other supercar has.

from what i understand you can get some brabus mods but im going to leave the car stock for now. i would probably consider changing the wheels and making the exhaust louder but i wouldnt touch the engine. i dont want to have a problem and have the warranty voided. if you do mod ur engine u will have a serious race car on ur hands with suspension that CAN handle the power, unlike the sl65 which feels like the chasis cannot keep up with the engine. You could probably buy some 722 parts but they will likely have big costs.

from my mb slr dealer there are zero changes from 05-06.

considering all the cars i have had i can truly say that this car is seriously world class in every regard. i mean it could have a better stereo or better quality buttons but thats the only knock i could give it. it will give you a serious adrenalin rush and take u home in comfort too- u get to decide. i know u have driven cars as fast in a straight line and cars that sounded alot meaner and more exotic but this is truly levels above the 430's and muric's. although i cant comment on the lp or 599 because i havent driven them i cant even believe 430 spiders are nearly the same cost. take a look at the the way this car was built and u know why its so expensive. there are high end racing parts throughout the entire vehicles engine, brakes, aerodynamics and suspension.

this car is the real deal on so many levels.
Thanks for the great reply.

Do you mind if I ask you what you paid for your 05? Im just trying to gauge where Im at on price. PM me if youd like, or if you dont care to share that info I also understand.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM

C63 507
pm sent
Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by johnw(to)
pm sent
Thank you!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
A_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Hey John, where do you normaly drive with the Mclaren?(I'd assume Yorkville) The only time I've seen one (and rode in as a passenger for 30 mins) was a friends of a friends, it was black with white interior. Greatest time of my life and I was just the passenger! Congrats on a sick car, I hope I see you one time with it tearing up the streets.

P.S. watch the roads near Highpark(Queensway & Ellispark) they're pothole galores.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
A_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Oh I forgot to say when I was in it, it was purchased just around September-October of 2006 and there were around 200km on it I believe and the thing was squeeling like crazy, but I think they were taking it to the dealership the next day or somthing to get fixed, I don't know what happened with it after that.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM

C63 507
hi A_B,

i try to stay out of the yorkville area but i am downtown a fair bit. mostly i'm north of the 401