SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Did Paris Poison SLR's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
various
Did Paris Poison SLR's

It seems like demand for SLR's dropped off sharply when Paris Hilton was photographed in hers and the crotch shot of Brittany didn't seem to help either.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by roccoriley
It seems like demand for SLR's dropped off sharply when Paris Hilton was photographed in hers and the crotch shot of Brittany didn't seem to help either.
Sounds like a pretty stupid thread, but I will say seeing Paris in her SLR around Bev Hills actually made me want a SLR.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 AM

various
Originally Posted by allanlambo
Sounds like a pretty stupid thread, but I will say seeing Paris in her SLR around Bev Hills actually made me want a SLR.
Interesting!

Most people wanted them because of their looks and performance.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
It is fair to say that any self-respecting person who considers image a part of their public profile would opt for something associated with an upmarket profile.

People who are not aware of the power of internet and celebrity may laugh at your question but I know for a fact that it is the subject of intense academic study and commands serious discussion at MIT and other leading colleges.

The "me-too" effect was once laughed at as being "trivial" in the formation of identity but it is actually much larger now than it ever was. "Me-too" is a mainstream and measurable event affecting real sales.

I certainly wouldnt want to be associated with the lifestyle of Paris Hilton. I would be really annoyed if owning an SLR made people think I was a spoiled fool. Certainly I dont know of any such associations which can be made with Bugatti or Ferrari.

It is a real event in modern life.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 AM

Interesting!

Most people wanted them because of their looks and performance.
Thats exactly why I wanted the car. I saw her driving hers around several times. Has nothing to do with her, has to do with seeing the car on the street.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 AM

various
Originally Posted by benzmodz

The "me-too" effect was once laughed at as being "trivial" in the formation of identity but it is actually much larger now than it ever was. "Me-too" is a mainstream and measurable event affecting real sales.

I certainly wouldnt want to be associated with the lifestyle of Paris Hilton. I would be really annoyed if owning an SLR made people think I was a spoiled fool. Certainly I dont know of any such associations which can be made with Bugatti or Ferrari.
Yes, it is much easier to visualize Paris or Brit in an SLR than in a Ferrari or Bugatti.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Yes, it is much easier to visualize Paris or Brit in an SLR than in a Ferrari or Bugatti.
Apparently if you own an SL65 you can't drive properly !

Yeah it sucks at the same time. Perhaps there are other reasons to own an SLR. Maybe it is a great car. But seeing so many dimwits own one kind of makes it less interesting.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 PM

C63 507
the ONLY reason i bought the slr is because paris hilton had one.

i guess there are alot of people who were going to buy one but didnt because they found out she had one.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by johnw(to)
the ONLY reason i bought the slr is because paris hilton had one.
Now that's taking things too far !
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 PM

C63 507
hehehe