SLR McLaren (C199) Discussion on the SLR Coupe, Roadster and Sterling Moss Edition.

SLR/C199/R199/Z199: Can Some Explain Why Different Colors Are Rare On SLR to me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes
Can Some Explain Why Different Colors Are Rare On SLR to me?

Hello, I posted another thread a couple weeks back asking about colors on the SLR and breakdowns but nobody replied, I couldn't find data either, but I wanted to ask another question. I recently purchased a 2009 SLR roadster that is in a color Im told is the only one made. The color doesn't have a name on the build sheet I was able to get but it was a $15,000 option. My question is, why are so many SLR I see mostly silver/black and you never see any with rare colors? Were silver/black free and all the other colors an upcharge or something at the time. I don't remember much about the SLR when it came out as I wasn't in the market for one in 2009 but with an MSRP of $530k was it a big deal for most owners to pay $15k for a special paint? Or was it not an option till later, I really had been looking for an SLR for a while before I settled on this one, combination of it came up for sale near me + low mileage(2300) + a factory color I had never seen. Im just trying to understand more about why so few have these unique colors. I attached a pic from the showroom when I purchased it + the window sticker + a pic at home with my sons ride on I bought him when I got it lol. I have more pics on my instagram @dnm814 if you want more pics, but overall just came here trying to learn more about the car and how rare a color like this is. I've seen figures online of 229 roadsters in the US, 500 total for the world? Are these accurate? Also the car came without books,phone, and original window sticker(I have build sheet posted below). I spoke with parts department at local dealer, they can't get me any of the originals. Is there any way to get any of this stuff now?

Old 03-05-2021, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SLS, SLR, CL63, G-Wagon
Originally Posted by dnm4
Hello, I posted another thread a couple weeks back asking about colors on the SLR and breakdowns but nobody replied, I couldn't find data either, but I wanted to ask another question. I recently purchased a 2009 SLR roadster that is in a color Im told is the only one made. The color doesn't have a name on the build sheet I was able to get but it was a $15,000 option. My question is, why are so many SLR I see mostly silver/black and you never see any with rare colors? Were silver/black free and all the other colors an upcharge or something at the time. I don't remember much about the SLR when it came out as I wasn't in the market for one in 2009 but with an MSRP of $530k was it a big deal for most owners to pay $15k for a special paint? Or was it not an option till later, I really had been looking for an SLR for a while before I settled on this one, combination of it came up for sale near me + low mileage(2300) + a factory color I had never seen. Im just trying to understand more about why so few have these unique colors. I attached a pic from the showroom when I purchased it + the window sticker + a pic at home with my sons ride on I bought him when I got it lol. I have more pics on my instagram @dnm814 if you want more pics, but overall just came here trying to learn more about the car and how rare a color like this is. I've seen figures online of 229 roadsters in the US, 500 total for the world? Are these accurate? Also the car came without books,phone, and original window sticker(I have build sheet posted below). I spoke with parts department at local dealer, they can't get me any of the originals. Is there any way to get any of this stuff now?

That's a nice looking SLR convertible. Congratulations!!! The exterior color looks white to me. I have seen several SLR's in white but not with the light brown leather. In fact, Manny Khoshbin who owns 5 SLR's has one in white. Unfortunately, these SLR's have been very underappreciated and as a result undervalued for what they are and what they represent. As a result of low production numbers and limited interest, there are very few posts about them in this or other forums. I can't tell where you live but if you are in the U.S., you can contact the Mercedes Classic Center in Irvine, California and they will try to track down hard to find parts. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have also seen owner's manuals, etc for sale on E-Bay. Good luck and enjoy your amazing car.

One important thing to note, NEVER allow a mechanic to lift your SLR on a standard lift system. It will damage the carbon fiber frame and your car will become a very expensive paper weight. The mechanic must be knowledgeable and experienced in working on an SLR and have special adapters for the lift.

Last edited by WLA SLS; 03-05-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:46 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by WLA SLS
That's a nice looking SLR convertible. Congratulations!!! The exterior color looks white to me. I have seen several SLR's in white but not with the light brown leather. In fact, Manny Khoshbin who owns 5 SLR's has one in white. Unfortunately, these SLR's have been very underappreciated and as a result undervalued for what they are and what they represent. As a result of low production numbers and limited interest, there are very few posts about them in this or other forums. I can't tell where you live but if you are in the U.S., you can contact the Mercedes Classic Center in Irvine, California and they will try to track down hard to find parts. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I have also seen owner's manuals, etc for sale on E-Bay. Good luck and enjoy your amazing car.

One important thing to note, NEVER allow a mechanic to lift your SLR on a standard lift system. It will damage the carbon fiber frame and your car will become a very expensive paper weight. The mechanic must be knowledgeable and experienced in working on an SLR and have special adapters for the lift.
Hey thanks for the reply. The color is pearl its not an arctic white. Anyways even if it is "white", was that a $15,000 option? You couldn't just order white? I've looked at a few different SLR before I bought this and none had an upcharge for paint on the sticker. You'd like to think at $495k base price in 2009 the color of your choice would be included. Just curious of the 229 or so US spec roadsters, Im in Texas, how many have an exclusive paint like this that was extra bc honestly I've never seen it. It's just odd to me with how much these machines cost when new why so many are just silver/black and not many opted for an expensive special paint.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Welcome. Beautiful car. For a [articular model to be handled by the MB Classic Center, it must be at least 15 model years out of production. The SLR has not been out of production for that long yet so I doubt that the MB Classic Center will be able to help until it meets the age/production requirement. I would suggest that you contact MBUSA at www.mbusa.com. They would be more likely to have the SLR production numbers. You might also try the MB public archives at www.mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com. There might be SLR production info posted there.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:18 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by 190Efan
Welcome. Beautiful car. For a [articular model to be handled by the MB Classic Center, it must be at least 15 model years out of production. The SLR has not been out of production for that long yet so I doubt that the MB Classic Center will be able to help until it meets the age/production requirement. I would suggest that you contact MBUSA at www.mbusa.com. They would be more likely to have the SLR production numbers. You might also try the MB public archives at www.mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com. There might be SLR production info posted there.
Actually just spoke with classic center an hour ago. Very helpful people, sent them the vin, they are working on getting me the original things. They couldn't help me with data on the car but gave me a number 1-800-367-6372. Some sort of customer number, they can help you with figures on your car as long as you proive the last 8 of the vin and name matches up. So they told me my 2009 SLR roadster is one of 71 produced for the US in 2009 and it is indeed the only produced in that color, they don't have the name but it is noted as custom paint. Very cool help indeed.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by dnm4
Actually just spoke with classic center an hour ago. Very helpful people, sent them the vin, they are working on getting me the original things. They couldn't help me with data on the car but gave me a number 1-800-367-6372. Some sort of customer number, they can help you with figures on your car as long as you proive the last 8 of the vin and name matches up. So they told me my 2009 SLR roadster is one of 71 produced for the US in 2009 and it is indeed the only produced in that color, they don't have the name but it is noted as custom paint. Very cool help indeed.
It's great that the MB Classic Center was able to give you some info. I've always gotten alot of good help from them for my MB as it does meet their age guidelines. The 800 number is likely MBUSA. They're more likely to have the information you're looking for.