SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Top Gear and apologies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 500sl, 2003 sl55 amg
Man, you guys rag on each other more than the junior high guys on the rx7 forum- keep it up it makes me laugh!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Wow, some strange conversations going on in here and not even close to what the title of the thread suggests. I still don't know if the OP loves/hates likes/dislikes the car. Not having ever driven an SLS it appears to be the first AMG since the CLK BS with true tracking attributes provided in stock form. But back to Top Gear (the US version) where I just watched the Stig put down a lap in a Panamera Turbo that was two seconds faster than he ran in an SLS on a prior show. I cant imagine that this would be possible , does anyone have any more perspective? Was the SLS a "wet" lap?
I have grown to like the SLS however it does not alter the fact I can't
get comfortable in it means it's no good if I did love it, I still wouldn't buy it.
Get out of the SLS and into a SL55 or 65 or 63 and you'll see what I mean,
not for everybody, but with my body a no no. I also said, now I find it's made from carbon fibre and aluminum means my remark of expensive has now changed.
However there is only so much you can charge for a badge name. I reckon
a Mercedes AMG is probably around 200k whereas a Ferrari , Rolls Royce
etc up to a million or more, the same applies for clothes, perfume etc.
It wouldn't matter if you made a Skoda from gold and diamonds the name
would put you off. That's mt last post on this subject, anybody see the new
SL.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by LZH
It's amazing that you speak about cars with such authority that you have never even driven and what is worse; you gather you definition of a "true sports car" from TMC M5 (Tom) - what a joke....You have ZERO credibility and/or knowledge.
Wow, I just saw this thread and read through about half of it. Sound 8 likes to twist my words. I have gotten into many arguments with him and he usually tries to drag me into stuff. I have him on my ignore list so I don't have to deal with his drivel and cries for attention.

I never said that a sports car MUST have two seats. What I probably said was that using a four seat car as your starting point isn't the most efficient design and may be at a disadvantage when being compared to a car that was designed from the get go to be a two seater. LEt's face it most 4 seaters sit up higher than a purpose built two-seater sports car. The higher center of gravity may be harder (more expensive) to engineer around. The additional weight for the added length to put back seats in a car also isn't going to help. A CLK63 BS is a sports car.... a Porsche GT3 is a sports car, even though both designs started with a 2+2 layout. Both are pretty expensive over the models that they are based because the engineering departments made each car go through massive weight savings and handling/performance enhancements to make them true sports cars.

So next time Sound 8 invokes my name or attributes something to me....take it with a grain of salt. Or better yet....take a page from my book and just put him on ignore and save yourself some typing....

Tom
Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Wow, I just saw this thread and read through about half of it. Sound 8 likes to twist my words. I have gotten into many arguments with him and he usually tries to drag me into stuff. I have him on my ignore list so I don't have to deal with his drivel and cries for attention.

I never said that a sports car MUST have two seats. What I probably said was that using a four seat car as your starting point isn't the most efficient design and may be at a disadvantage when being compared to a car that was designed from the get go to be a two seater. LEt's face it most 4 seaters sit up higher than a purpose built two-seater sports car. The higher center of gravity may be harder (more expensive) to engineer around. The additional weight for the added length to put back seats in a car also isn't going to help. A CLK63 BS is a sports car.... a Porsche GT3 is a sports car, even though both designs started with a 2+2 layout. Both are pretty expensive over the models that they are based because the engineering departments made each car go through massive weight savings and handling/performance enhancements to make them true sports cars.

So next time Sound 8 invokes my name or attributes something to me....take it with a grain of salt. Or better yet....take a page from my book and just put him on ignore and save yourself some typing....

Tom
You two face liar, be a man for god sake, when I said my SL63 was a sports car you said it wasn't, you said a true definition was a 2 seater car that was
light in construction. Try looking back and then say sorry!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by sound 8
To those who know, I have consistently said the SLS was too expensive,
well sorry I was wrong, it's carbon fibre and aluminum, so I withdraw my
remark. Top Gear was great, and certainly proved one thing, it doesn't matter
how much stiffening and lightening Mercedes do, they can never make a sports car. Although the SLS is not my favorite car watching it on TV somehow plucked my heart strings, it was like a puppy with 2 ferocious dogs.
It wasn't a case of feeling sorry for it, it growled as well and could match them on the straight stuff. However all that changed on the track, putting
it mildly the SLS was useless, on nearly every bend it came off, and after
2 sets of tyres were ripped to bits Clarckson gave up. While this was happening the Porsche and Ferrari were going at it hammer and tongs, very
close. Now these cars should be fast and handle well to be what I call a
sports car, well there was 2, Porsche, to be fair pretty much a track day car,
and the Ferrari which to me was the best, it's only down side being like a
strangled cat on full throttle. The Porsche was more track rather than everyday car. I liked the SLS more after watching the show, but how can
you compare 2 mass produced cars against a beautiful hand made Italian
sports car, not that I would buy that either, if I had to have one it would
be the SLS because of my back.
I still maintain my SL63 is best and a whole lot cheaper.
Do you actually have some kind of mental disorder? I'm not at all trying to be mean or insulting, I would never make fun of anyone for something like that, but I'm legitimately curious. I think everyone on this forum gets it... you don't like the SLS. Time to move on.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Do you actually have some kind of mental disorder? I'm not at all trying to be mean or insulting, I would never make fun of anyone for something like that, but I'm legitimately curious. I think everyone on this forum gets it... you don't like the SLS. Time to move on.
Hey man it's simple! The SLS when it first came out was 180k as apposed
to my SL63 at 108k, so to me gullwing doors was 70k extra, a rip off I thought. Then I found out it was made of aluminum and carbon fibre, this
to me justified the price. As far as the looks go, no to me some angles look
odd, but it has grown on me. Lastly I went for a test drive and quite frankly
with the door shut I was squashed like a sardine, I do have a VERY stocky
shape, body building when I was young. And whether or not I loved it, I could not stand that feeling of claustrophobia.
Now what's hard to understand.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Hey man it's simple! The SLS when it first came out was 180k as apposed
to my SL63 at 108k, so to me gullwing doors was 70k extra, a rip off I thought. Then I found out it was made of aluminum and carbon fibre, this
to me justified the price. As far as the looks go, no to me some angles look
odd, but it has grown on me. Lastly I went for a test drive and quite frankly
with the door shut I was squashed like a sardine, I do have a VERY stocky
shape, body building when I was young. And whether or not I loved it, I could not stand that feeling of claustrophobia.
Now what's hard to understand.
It's hard to understand why you won't let it go.

Let me explain why the SLS makes sense to some people (obviously not you). When I was car shopping, I knew that I wanted a 55k AMG because of the unbelievable torque and fun that I experienced when I test drove it. For all of 2 hours I was considering the SL55 and the CLS55, and then I was hit (hard) by a sudden surge of common sense (it actually kind of hurt)-- I could get an E55, a car that has room for 5 (which the CLS and the SL obviously don't), a car that won't make my back seat passengers wish they were dwarfs (as my brother's CLS does to me everytime I even sit in the front seat), a car that is lighter than both the CLS and the SL, a car that actually handles better than the CLS and the SL and all of these extra benefits were going to cost me absolutely nothing!!! Sounded like the bargain of the century. I'm going to give them less money, and these dumb *******s were going to give me MORE car? If only I could find bargains like that everywhere else in my life! I drive by guys in SL55s everyday where I live, and deep down I'm just laughing at all of them. I don't have a personal grudge against the SL, I just wasn't willing to pay more for less.

The SLS on the other hand, is actually more car than the SL for more money. I know, I know, it doesn't make sense to you. You're used to paying more for less. In that case, I have a deal for you... Ship your SL63 over to me (with $10,000 in large bills in the glove compartment) and I'll have a shiny SL350 shipped to you from Europe. That's right, a 350!!! You can't even get those here! Imagine how much tail a 1 of a kind car would get you

Now, does that at all help you understand my confusion about your hatred for the SLS? You spent more for less (buying an SL63 instead of an E63) but you have a problem with paying more for more (SLS).
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
It's hard to understand why you won't let it go.

Let me explain why the SLS makes sense to some people (obviously not you). When I was car shopping, I knew that I wanted a 55k AMG because of the unbelievable torque and fun that I experienced when I test drove it. For all of 2 hours I was considering the SL55 and the CLS55, and then I was hit (hard) by a sudden surge of common sense (it actually kind of hurt)-- I could get an E55, a car that has room for 5 (which the CLS and the SL obviously don't), a car that won't make my back seat passengers wish they were dwarfs (as my brother's CLS does to me everytime I even sit in the front seat), a car that is lighter than both the CLS and the SL, a car that actually handles better than the CLS and the SL and all of these extra benefits were going to cost me absolutely nothing!!! Sounded like the bargain of the century. I'm going to give them less money, and these dumb *******s were going to give me MORE car? If only I could find bargains like that everywhere else in my life! I drive by guys in SL55s everyday where I live, and deep down I'm just laughing at all of them. I don't have a personal grudge against the SL, I just wasn't willing to pay more for less.

The SLS on the other hand, is actually more car than the SL for more money. I know, I know, it doesn't make sense to you. You're used to paying more for less. In that case, I have a deal for you... Ship your SL63 over to me (with $10,000 in large bills in the glove compartment) and I'll have a shiny SL350 shipped to you from Europe. That's right, a 350!!! You can't even get those here! Imagine how much tail a 1 of a kind car would get you

Now, does that at all help you understand my confusion about your hatred for the SLS? You spent more for less (buying an SL63 instead of an E63) but you have a problem with paying more for more (SLS).
This post was dead and buried, until you dragged it up.
And your still on about it!
I let it go months ago, you have the cheeks to tell me to let it go.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
This post was dead and buried, until you dragged it up.
And your still on about it!
I let it go months ago, you have the cheeks to tell me to let it go.
Lol. Fair enough, I haven't been in the SLS section for a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
To those who know, I have consistently said the SLS was too expensive,
well sorry I was wrong, it's carbon fibre and aluminum, so I withdraw my
remark. Top Gear was great, and certainly proved one thing, it doesn't matter
how much stiffening and lightening Mercedes do, they can never make a sports car. Although the SLS is not my favorite car watching it on TV somehow plucked my heart strings, it was like a puppy with 2 ferocious dogs.
It wasn't a case of feeling sorry for it, it growled as well and could match them on the straight stuff. However all that changed on the track, putting
it mildly the SLS was useless, on nearly every bend it came off, and after
2 sets of tyres were ripped to bits Clarckson gave up. While this was happening the Porsche and Ferrari were going at it hammer and tongs, very
close. Now these cars should be fast and handle well to be what I call a
sports car, well there was 2, Porsche, to be fair pretty much a track day car,
and the Ferrari which to me was the best, it's only down side being like a
strangled cat on full throttle. The Porsche was more track rather than everyday car. I liked the SLS more after watching the show, but how can
you compare 2 mass produced cars against a beautiful hand made Italian
sports car, not that I would buy that either, if I had to have one it would
be the SLS because of my back.
I still maintain my SL63 is best and a whole lot cheaper.
Top Gear is a joke. That british dude is a joke. He once compared the SL 63 with the Aston Martin Vantage
Oh and Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, dont compare the SLS with a stupid porsche that looks like a dead frog. I dont care how fast they make em, the SLS is more advanced and is sexier on the road
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jacob502
Top Gear is a joke. That british dude is a joke. He once compared the SL 63 with the Aston Martin Vantage
Oh and Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, dont compare the SLS with a stupid porsche that looks like a dead frog. I dont care how fast they make em, the SLS is more advanced and is sexier on the road
I think Porsche's are junk! 911 turbo is fast, but you would have to pay me
to drive it. Compared to my 63, and I have, it's unrefined,noisey,cramped,
has pedals offset to the left, is frightening when cornering, looks cheap
inside, and makes a horrible exhaust note. But worse of all is the ride, set on
comfort it still way to hard and unforgiving.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

2011 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
Talking

I think Porsche's are junk! 911 turbo is fast, but you would have to pay me
to drive it. Compared to my 63, and I have, it's unrefined,noisey,cramped,
has pedals offset to the left, is frightening when cornering, looks cheap
inside, and makes a horrible exhaust note. But worse of all is the ride, set on
comfort it still way to hard and unforgiving.
Why Didn't I see this thread until now

Do you know what your problem is, you mentally troubled psycho ?
It's not that you just don't like the SLS, it's that you are living in an environment where a stupid Bentley and a freakish Aston Martin DBS are considered highly exotic cars, when in fact they are nothing but trash compared to AMG (and that's a fact my friend).

Now let's get back to business, that idiot English guy, and sorry for saying that but he is an idiot, always trys to find disadvantages of AMG cars.

And what makes you an idiot, is changing your mind from a stupid show that compares a dead bug to the most historical AMG gullwing

Oh my God I can't stop laughing

If you want to make comparisons, you need to try both vehicles yourself.

I mean come on he made the DBS look like the best car in the world while in reality we all know that it is the ****tiest car no offense but that's the truth

Who agrees with me ?

Last edited by Nimir Qatar; 04-11-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: adding phrase
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Nimir Qatar
Why Didn't I see this thread until now

Do you know what your problem is, you mentally troubled psycho ?
It's not that you just don't like the SLS, it's that you are living in an environment where a stupid Bentley and a freakish Aston Martin DBS are considered highly exotic cars, when in fact they are nothing but trash compared to AMG (and that's a fact my friend).

Now let's get back to business, that idiot English guy, and sorry for saying that but he is an idiot, always trys to find disadvantages of AMG cars.

And what makes you an idiot, is changing your mind from a stupid show that compares a dead bug to the most historical AMG gullwing

Oh my God I can't stop laughing

If you want to make comparisons, you need to try both vehicles yourself.

I mean come on he made the DBS look like the best car in the world while in reality we all know that it is the ****tiest car no offense but that's the truth

Who agrees with me ?
While I do LOVE the SLS very much, which unfortunately makes my post agree with you, I really don't think it is a good way to get your point across by calling him a "mentally troubled psycho"
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
While I do LOVE the SLS very much, which unfortunately makes my post agree with you, I really don't think it is a good way to get your point across by calling him a "mentally troubled psycho"

Finally we agree on something

At last
Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally we agree on something

At last
I think it's disgusting that you are allowed to join this Forum, and insult my
Country, and insult my countries cars. You really are an arrogant racist who
obviously like to lord it over others,you are the epitome of narcissism.
I shall not be replying to any of your posts.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
How did i miss such an entertaining thread!!

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM

SLS AMG Iridium Silver Red Interior
Sound 8, I agree with you 100%!!!!

These guys are just jealous.

Don't listen to them. You rock!!

..... Just kidding

I love my SLS beyond words and you should take the rear spoiler off your Nissan. LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ME! an AMG hater what a thicko!

Let me see, E55,CL65,SL55, and a SL63, an S600 as well.
Yep! definitely an AMG hater. What a plonka you are Nitar.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

ME! an AMG hater what a thicko!

Let me see, E55,CL65,SL55, and a SL63, an S600 as well.
Yep! definitely an AMG hater. What a plonka you are Nitar.
Just for the correction, S600 is not AMG. It is a pure MB car.

Second, I never disrespected England, which is your country. I'm not a racist person like you made me. The issue was about Top Gear and that lousy English dude (not the country, the dude) and you not liking the SLS. Me not loving English cars does not in anyway mean that I'm racist or disrespectful towards England.
As a matter of fact, I visit England every year and if you like I will be there in August as usual, just give me a call.

Consider this the last post from me towards you. I already got in trouble from your unneccessary complaint to the admins of this forum which is really childish.

Anyway I just wanted to clear things up and tell everybody that I am not racist.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just for the correction, S600 is not AMG. It is a pure MB car.

Second, I never disrespected England, which is your country. I'm not a racist person like you made me. The issue was about Top Gear and that lousy English dude (not the country, the dude) and you not liking the SLS. Me not loving English cars does not in anyway mean that I'm racist or disrespectful towards England.
As a matter of fact, I visit England every year and if you like I will be there in August as usual, just give me a call.

Consider this the last post from me towards you. I already got in trouble from your unneccessary complaint to the admins of this forum which is really childish.

Anyway I just wanted to clear things up and tell everybody that I am not racist.
I was not going to reply, but you said it again. " that lousy English dude"
by all means call him a lousy dude, but the country he lives in doesn't come
in to it. My friend you just can't control your mouth, insulting someones
countries inhabitants is being a racist !! I never reported you to admin, they can see how bad your language was becoming, so you better clean it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
countries inhabitants is being a racist !! I never reported you to admin, they can see how bad your language was becoming, so you better clean it up.

Actually, it's more along the lines of bigotry as the English are not a race.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
Actually, it's more along the lines of bigotry as the English are not a race.
Clever clogs ! notice how I didn't call you an Am*****n clever clogs.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
How did i miss such an entertaining thread!!

LOL, 4 months and still going. I check it like the morning news!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Clever clogs ! notice how I didn't call you an Am*****n clever clogs.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
:hardslap: Jeremy Clarkson is English, so calling him a "lousy English dude" is just one of many ways to describe him. He could have called him a "lousy tall dude" or a "lousy dude with a gut", but would you then think he harbors a deep hatred or dislike for tall or fat people? I'm sorry but all of your posts make you seem like a child... I'm not trying to call you immature, or even make fun of your intelligence or logical reasoning, I'm simply stating that I have personally met 11 year old children who seem to be more intelligent, more logical and more mature than you, which leads me to believe that you are, in reality, a 10 year old child with Internet access.

And PS- British cars suck. They might be nice, but they are absolute **** to drive and they're overpriced. Any 11 year old child with a functioning brain could see that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Top Gear and apologies