Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Top Gear and apologies

To those who know, I have consistently said the SLS was too expensive,
well sorry I was wrong, it's carbon fibre and aluminum, so I withdraw my
remark. Top Gear was great, and certainly proved one thing, it doesn't matter
how much stiffening and lightening Mercedes do, they can never make a sports car. Although the SLS is not my favorite car watching it on TV somehow plucked my heart strings, it was like a puppy with 2 ferocious dogs.
It wasn't a case of feeling sorry for it, it growled as well and could match them on the straight stuff. However all that changed on the track, putting
it mildly the SLS was useless, on nearly every bend it came off, and after
2 sets of tyres were ripped to bits Clarckson gave up. While this was happening the Porsche and Ferrari were going at it hammer and tongs, very
close. Now these cars should be fast and handle well to be what I call a
sports car, well there was 2, Porsche, to be fair pretty much a track day car,
and the Ferrari which to me was the best, it's only down side being like a
strangled cat on full throttle. The Porsche was more track rather than everyday car. I liked the SLS more after watching the show, but how can
you compare 2 mass produced cars against a beautiful hand made Italian
sports car, not that I would buy that either, if I had to have one it would
be the SLS because of my back.
I still maintain my SL63 is best and a whole lot cheaper.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
Originally Posted by sound 8
how much stiffening and lightening Mercedes do, they can never make a sports car. Although the SLS is not my favorite car watching it on TV somehow plucked my heart strings, it was like a puppy with 2 ferocious dogs.
It wasn't a case of feeling sorry for it, it growled as well and could match them on the straight stuff. However all that changed on the track, putting
2 sets of tyres were ripped to bits Clarckson gave up. While this was happening the Porsche and Ferrari were going at it hammer and tongs, very
strangled cat on full throttle. The Porsche was more track rather than everyday car. I liked the SLS more after watching the show, but how can
The SLS probably would be at a handling disadvantage, but did you actually fall for Jezzer's tail bending in every corner? Do you really think he was trying?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
The SLS probably would be at a handling disadvantage, but did you actually fall for Jezzer's tail bending in every corner? Do you really think he was trying?
I agree with you about Jeremy playing around on the track.

In the 'Italian Job' DVD, he chases a Lambo Superleggeria while driving the SLS at Imola and although the Lambo is a light weight purpose built track ready sportscar, the SLS was only about a second off the pace.

His conclusion after testing the Lambo, Ferrari 458, Ferrari 599 GTO, Porsche GT3, Ariel Atom, a Lemans type Zonda racer and finally the SLS, was that the Mercedes AMG SLS was now his "favourite car", because... "although it was not made to go around a track the fastest, it was certainly the most fun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxKo80k7gs

Check the 1:39 - 2:01 mark and see the SLS race against the Lambo.

Last edited by Ifari; 12-31-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't know you knew him personally, anyway believe me Mr Clarkson was trying, he's one person who doesn't like being beaten.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ifari
I with you about Jeremy playing around on the track.

In the 'Italian Job' DVD, he chases a Lambo Superleggeria while driving the SLS at Imola and although the Lambo is a light weight purpose built track ready sportscar, the SLS was only about a second off the pace.

His conclusion after testing the Lambo, Ferrari 458, Ferrari 599 GTO, Porsche GT3, Ariel Atom, a Lemans type Zonda racer and finally the SLS, was that the Mercedes AMG SLS was now his "favourite car", because... "although it was not made to go around a track the fastest, it was certainly the most fun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxKo80k7gs

Check the 1:39 - 2:01 mark and see the SLS race against the Lambo.
You are contradicting your self, first you say he was playing around, then you say the car wasn't built to go round a track and was just for fun.
The SLS is a GT car which would be great on a long journey, but not in the same class as the others on the track.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
No contradiction on my part.

The episode where he was with playing/goofing around in the SLS with Capt. Slow and Hamster was on Top Gear and the track was in the USA.

I'm referring to a Jeremy Clarkson DVD titled 'Italian Job' and he was testing/racing seriously at Imola in Italy.

Watch the YouTube clip and see with your own eyes exactly how well the SLS performs against the Lambo SuperLeggeria at IMOLA.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM

335i
I didn't know you knew him personally, anyway believe me Mr Clarkson was trying, he's one person who doesn't like being beaten.
He does this with every car he drives. Why don't you try driving a SLS around some corners yourself. Do you actually think he would allow the car to slide if he really doesn't want to be beaten?

He drifts every car, around every corner on the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYvFh...eature=related

Go to 1:18, there he is sliding in the corners with a AWD R8? Would you expect anything less with his driving style in a SLS?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am only reffering to Top Gear shown on TV. On the track the SLS was
useless compared to the Porsche and the 458, please watch it again, time and again he tried to push the SLS round the twisty stuff without any luck.
believe me he was trying, ask the tryes what was left of them, all this whilst
the Porsche and 458 dissapeared in the distance.
All it proves is the SLS is a GT car and the Porsche and Ferrari are sports
cars.There is one thing that bothered me, why wasn't the Porsche included
in the drag race. My thoughts is that it was the quickest, certainly by the
way it was catching the Ferrari on the track. Each car had it's good and bad
points, but as yet MB hasn't made a car that corners well, unless you include
McLaren.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Haven't seen the episode yet but one thing we all can agree on is that Clarkson is a "drift monster". I am sure when AMG was putting the SLS through the paces "How well does it drift asZ WAY out around corners" was not in the design phase.

Not disputing that the beloved SLS is no match for a similiar P car but the only times I would trust would be Stigs. Did he ever run it?

Love LOVE Top Gear but the drifting gets a bit old at times. If it improved track times, you would see it all over the place at the Nurburgring.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
One last thing. Wonder why they didn't test the SLS GT3? I mean if we are talking Supercars here, let's use the best that we can offer.

Maybe it wasn't out yet when they taped.

Maybe she too wouldn't beat the P car, but gotta admit, would have a much better chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSeZ...layer_embedded
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM

335i
I am only reffering to Top Gear shown on TV. On the track the SLS was
useless compared to the Porsche and the 458, please watch it again, time and again he tried to push the SLS round the twisty stuff without any luck.
believe me he was trying, ask the tryes what was left of them, all this whilst
the Porsche and 458 dissapeared in the distance.
All it proves is the SLS is a GT car and the Porsche and Ferrari are sports
cars.There is one thing that bothered me, why wasn't the Porsche included
in the drag race. My thoughts is that it was the quickest, certainly by the
way it was catching the Ferrari on the track. Each car had it's good and bad
points, but as yet MB hasn't made a car that corners well, unless you include
McLaren.
You'd have to be crazy to think the SLR is any better in the corners when compared to the SLS.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You'd have to be crazy to think the SLR is any better in the corners when compared to the SLS.
The SLR would kill the SLS on anything, period.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I don't know where to even begin to address your drivel but lets start with the above comment in bold - one answer, the CLK BLACK SERIES. Are you really suggesting that the black series is not a true sports car ???? Have you even driven one ?? Have you driven an SLS ??
All you've done is bash the SLS yet after seeing the top gear episode your "heart strings" have been plucked??? You need some serious help dude, and if you think your SL63 is any better you are sorely mistaken. In fact, you seem to be someone suffering from buyers remorse and actually are kicking yourself in the teeth that you paid what you did for that overpriced, overweight SL when you could have paid a bit more for the SLS. Give it a rest man, you haven't a clue what you're talking about
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH
I don't know where to even begin to address your drivel but lets start with the above comment in bold - one answer, the CLK BLACK SERIES. Are you really suggesting that the black series is not a true sports car ???? Have you even driven one ?? Have you driven an SLS ??
All you've done is bash the SLS yet after seeing the top gear episode your "heart strings" have been plucked??? You need some serious help dude, and if you think your SL63 is any better you are sorely mistaken. In fact, you seem to be someone suffering from buyers remorse and actually are kicking yourself in the teeth that you paid what you did for that overpriced, overweight SL when you could have paid a bit more for the SLS. Give it a rest man, you haven't a clue what you're talking about
I think you need a lesson yourself. A 4 seater coupe is not a sports
car, the true definition means it should be light and obviously 2 seater,
ask TMC M5 he told me the true description. Anyway sure you can do fantastic slides in CLK BS and many more AMG car, but it won't stay with
things like the Porsche or Ferrari on the track. The SLR and the F1 I beleive
are good track cars looking at their times on the Top Gear track with the stig driving. As I said the SLS is a GT car with better track manners than say
a SL65, it still won't stay with a trye sports car. My point is, I apologies for
saying it's overpriced, I didn't realize that it was all aluminum with carbon
parts, but with that weight loss I think it should do better on the track,
but if you own a CLK BS don't take it as an insult about my comments, as
I said, I can,t think of a MB 2 seater that can stay with the likes of Porsche
or Ferrari or Zonda or....... It's a very good GT car, but not for me or my
wide proportions, and I don't mean my bum.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Most of the CLK BS I have ever seen dont have anything I would call a backseat. And doesnt the SL55 out run the SL63 in almost every way except sound? Some one did a side by side review and it didnt fair well.

ask TMC M5 he told me the true description. Anyway sure you can do fantastic slides in CLK BS and many more AMG car, but it won't stay with
are good track cars looking at their times on the Top Gear track with the stig driving. As I said the SLS is a GT car with better track manners than say
a SL65, it still won't stay with a trye sports car. My point is, I apologies for
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
It's amazing that you speak about cars with such authority that you have never even driven and what is worse; you gather you definition of a "true sports car" from TMC M5 (Tom) - what a joke....You have ZERO credibility and/or knowledge.

Again you are showing what an idiot you are. So because you saw on a TV show the SLS has lots of carbon fiber and aluminum you give it the nod and those 2 things now make it seem priced right ???
And the CLK63 BS IS A TRUE 2 seater....you need to start checking your facts before shoving your foot in your mouth...The Black Series comes stock with NO BACKSEATS and no sunroof as well as a host of other beefed up track ready upgrades such as a triple adjustable suspension, rear dif cooler, additional trans cooler, additional oil cooler and additional steering cooler. You really have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER man. I have routinely passed GT3 and 430's on the track and they don't stand a chance with the BS. Throw long tube headers and tune on the BS and it'll run all day long on the track with ZERO issues and stomp just about anything (while maintaining warranty and being 100% reliable). So once again, you've clearly shown your true ignorance and I suggest you move along to the SL forum and discuss something you know about (if that's even possible).

And to prove my point about the BS being a true sports car - here is a snippet of the the fastest lap times at the 'Ring:

34. Porsche 997 GT3 7:42.00 161 '06 415 / 1395 Walter Rƶhrl
35. Radical SR3 7:42.00 161 '02 205 / 495
36. Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce 7:42.00 161 '09 670 / 1664 Horst von Saurma
37. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 7:42.90 160 '05 513 / 1437 Jan Magnussen
38. Porsche 996 GT3 RS 7:43.00 160 '03 381 / 1360 "Motor" magazine
39. Pagani Zonda C12 S 7:44.00 160 '02 555 / 1250 Sport Auto
40. Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI 7:44.00 160 '09 525 / 1620 sportauto
41. Mercedes CLK 63 Black Series 7:45.00 159 '07 507 / 1745 berndt schneider
42. Gardner Douglas GD T70 Spyder 7:45.00 159 '10 710 / 900 Dario Margutti
43. Porsche 996 GT2 7:46.00 159 '00 460 / 1430 Sport Auto
44. Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 7:46.00 159 '07 530 / 1520 Auto (Italy)
45. Jaguar XJ220 7:46.37 159 '92 549 / 1470 John Nielsen
46. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano 7:47.00 159 '06 620 / 1748 Sport Auto

Take from: http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

The CLK BS is within a second of some of the best "sports cars" in the world. But hey, I guess it's just the best and fastest most reliable grocery getter / GT car in the world, huh ??? LOL!!!!

Now go get your shinebox and put your fat *** on a diet.

Last edited by LZH; 01-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I must have gotten ripped off because mt CLK63 Black Series didn't come with a back seat...

This guy is a friggin clown, this is the third thread he has started bashing the SLS, bro I think you are obsessed, you are having stalkerish behavior towards a friggin car...let it go man.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
I must have gotten ripped off because mt CLK63 Black Series didn't come with a back seat...

This guy is a friggin clown, this is the third thread he has started bashing the SLS, bro I think you are obsessed, you are having stalkerish behavior towards a friggin car...let it go man.
No WAY! You too? I hope all guys kept your receipts so you can go back and pick up your back seats...

Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
LZH
Banned

Yeah man I dunno what they were thinkin removing the back seats from my black series GT cuiser LOL !! Where the hell am I gonna put a babyseat ????
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM

335i
Originally Posted by austinholloman
Most of the CLK BS I have ever seen dont have anything I would call a backseat. And doesnt the SL55 out run the SL63 in almost every way except sound? Some one did a side by side review and it didnt fair well.
I know this contradicts my argument, but I actually really want a SL63 as my next car. (I know). Other than sound, the SL63 has a slightly better interior, possibly better electronics, a better gearbox, and a nicer rear bumper. Probably handles better with that multi-mode ABC suspension.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know this contradicts my argument, but I actually really want a SL63 as my next car. (I know). Other than sound, the SL63 has a slightly better interior, possibly better electronics, a better gearbox, and a nicer rear bumper. Probably handles better with that multi-mode ABC suspension.
Every friend I know that owns an SL complains about it never running. One of my friends called me the other day and the car was yelling the the back ground, something like, PULL OVER AND SHUT OFF THE CAR, he was like, yeah it does that once a month since I bought it new and I keep having to take in back. WTF? I don't know, his is an 08 and maybe the AMG versions are better built but every time I think about getting an SL and I have wanted one a long time, I go test drive it and then I walk away happy I didn't do it. I will say though, they look AMAZING. I just wish they were as EZ to keep running as a C or E-Class, or even a CLK BS.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LZH
Yeah man I dunno what they were thinkin removing the back seats from my black series GT cuiser LOL !! Where the hell am I gonna put a babyseat ????
Wouldn't it be funny if they made a CF baby seat for CLK BS? haha with a racing harness? Amazing. The new Carbon Fiber CLK Black Series baby seat for just $5000.00 extra, your toddler can enjoy the track the same way you do!

The things that run though my mind.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM

335i
Every friend I know that owns an SL complains about it never running. One of my friends called me the other day and the car was yelling the the back ground, something like, PULL OVER AND SHUT OFF THE CAR, he was like, yeah it does that once a month since I bought it new and I keep having to take in back. WTF? I don't know, his is an 08 and maybe the AMG versions are better built but every time I think about getting an SL and I have wanted one a long time, I go test drive it and then I walk away happy I didn't do it. I will say though, they look AMAZING. I just wish they were as EZ to keep running as a C or E-Class, or even a CLK BS.
I think if I bought the car, I'd know the trouble I'm getting into, especially since I'm coming from a equally, if not more unreliable pre-facelift W220.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats true, Pre lift W220 is bad news, but I still think the SL is worse. Basically all the issues of a W220 and add more moving parts for the hard top vert. and less space to fit it in/work on it.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Wouldn't it be funny if they made a CF baby seat for CLK BS? haha with a racing harness? Amazing. The new Carbon Fiber CLK Black Series baby seat for just $5000.00 extra, your toddler can enjoy the track the same way you do!

The things that run though my mind.
Its not funny its reality, Sparco and Recaro both make baby seats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Top Gear and apologies