SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS REVERSE QUESTION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinto
SLS REVERSE QUESTION

Hey Guys,

I just got my SLS last night and I noticed when the car is in the REVERSE gear, it has very subtle vibrations kind of like when a manual car is about to stall out. Of course the car did not stall, it just seems like its at that clutch mix point where its about to stall (very low idle rpm), I dont know if other SLS owners experience the same, its not a issue at all. I just wanted to know if it is a normal characteristic of the car. Any feedback will be appreciated!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it's normal thought the same thing when I first drove it.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM

SLS
Yea its normal, i had same feeling it too, but no worries.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

2011 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
It is normal don't worry about it
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
Hesitation

Reading that Pnoob2 just got his SLS and responses from other owners, jbondox and BinGhanem, I am wondering if all 3 of these cars have the extrememe hesitation when mashing the throttle in C and S mode?

After lots of back and forth checking and rechecking by my dealer, I am now told that the hesitation is normal in C and S and goes away in S+ and M which is correct. Problem is that the car defaults to C on every start up and if you need to pull out into a high speed lane of traffic and left the trans in C mode you may find you get rear-ended due to the fact that the car moves very little forward in C and there is a deliberate pause before acceleration actually kicks in.

My dealer just got another SLS in and found it is just like mine with the hesitation. I cannot believe that AMG, let alone MB, would engineer and build any vehicle with this fault. In my mind, either every one has the problem or it is correctible so I am looking to hear from the 3 of you as to your experience. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM

CLK Black
Perhaps you need to just get used to it?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by dharrar
Reading that Pnoob2 just got his SLS and responses from other owners, jbondox and BinGhanem, I am wondering if all 3 of these cars have the extrememe hesitation when mashing the throttle in C and S mode?

After lots of back and forth checking and rechecking by my dealer, I am now told that the hesitation is normal in C and S and goes away in S+ and M which is correct. Problem is that the car defaults to C on every start up and if you need to pull out into a high speed lane of traffic and left the trans in C mode you may find you get rear-ended due to the fact that the car moves very little forward in C and there is a deliberate pause before acceleration actually kicks in.

My dealer just got another SLS in and found it is just like mine with the hesitation. I cannot believe that AMG, let alone MB, would engineer and build any vehicle with this fault. In my mind, either every one has the problem or it is correctible so I am looking to hear from the 3 of you as to your experience. Thanks.
Its not a fault, its on purpose. Because it is drive by wire they wanted to "save you from yourself" in normal c and s mode by having a throttle lag to prevent you from rear ending someone or unwanted jerking or acceleration.

However, they have removed this lag in S+ and M as you have mentioned. Whether you like it or not - the only way to get rid of the throttle lag is to put the car in S+ each time.

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
dharrar, I don't own one, I just had a lot of time with one... well three of them. no tracks, just city driving, and a few higher speed runs on a section of the highway that is a little safer to do it. (deer)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM

SLS
Originally Posted by jbondox
dharrar, I don't own one, I just had a lot of time with one... well three of them. no tracks, just city driving, and a few higher speed runs on a section of the highway that is a little safer to do it. (deer)
I have been wondering about the exact same issue - so this just goes away in S+? Shouldn't that be in the owners manual. I dont see the safety improvement - the car does nothing until you get the accelerator pedal about 40% into its travel in C or S and then it just launches - that is going to cause an accident or two based on my experience. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Since the shift is done electronically, I suggest the SLS owners contact their AMG performance center or AMG themselves. I am sure if enough people see it as an issue that AMG can change the programming.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Pinto
are you guys experiencing hesitation at a full stop or during a roll?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 PM

SLS AMG Iridium Silver Red Interior
The sls requires some finesse when starting from a stop. You cannot floor it. In sport mode, give it about half pedal and then increase to full pedal over the next 1/2 second. This will give you 0 to 60 in about 3.5 sec. Not sure why it was designed this way, but I kind of like it.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

2011 SLS AMG
New Software Update

There is a new software update from AMG for the SLS when youn take your car to service. I had them install this new software on my car and it solved the reverse issue a little bit (it's still vibrating a little but it's better than before). In addition, the hesitation that use to happen from accelerating on C mode is way better now.