SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: I sadly got to see wrecked SLS AMGs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus GS 450h
Unhappy I sadly got to see wrecked SLS AMGs

Getting some bodywork done at a high end shop here and notice there are a couple of Benz coupes inside with the rear facing me. I honestly walked past them not realizing they were SLS's.

Later on the manager and I are chatting about cars and he explains to me that he has 4 Benz SLSs that have been wrecked. Seems they were on transport and the driver somehow lost control (I think trying to avoid an accident) and the SLS's went flying everywhere. So he took me to them.

I've seen the SLS a few times in person so it was utterly shocking to see two of them utterly destroyed. Windows smashes, roofed caved in, CF broken, body dented, an utter disaster. There was dirt and grass still inside both of them.

Seems Mercedes wasn't sure what to do with them so they were just sitting there. Apparently one is even a special race version.

Just heard that the decision was made to destroy them.

Sorry I don't have pictures but they would have just made you cry.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I wonder if the driver still has his job?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by MiamiAMG
I wonder if the driver still has his job?
Nope, he was fired.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nope, he was fired.
Will they consider selling them to the public? As is...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Will they consider selling them to the public? As is...
Benz took time to decide should they try to fix or destroy. They picked destroy. Nothing will be parted out.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Benz took time to decide should they try to fix or destroy. They picked destroy. Nothing will be parted out.
Wow, are you serious??? damn talk about them preserving the prestige of buying one. They figured we dont want anyone buying one if they dont come thru us and get dicked without lube. LOL
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM

335i
They should be retooled to be design concepts (cutaways etc).

Did you ask about owners? Who purchased them? Where they were going?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
To destroy the car means taking it somewhere. If you only knew where. I would love to get the engine.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
4 less SLSs for me to someday buy
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I would've thought they would (at least) want to auction them off in as-is condition to maybe get $50k from each car. I know it's not much, but that's still quarter million dollars that they would be out of anyways.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Someone is going to have 4 very incredible engines lying around for their disposal....

This is the saddest way to start my day
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

2011 Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
Talking

Getting some bodywork done at a high end shop here and notice there are a couple of Benz coupes inside with the rear facing me. I honestly walked past them not realizing they were SLS's.

Later on the manager and I are chatting about cars and he explains to me that he has 4 Benz SLSs that have been wrecked. Seems they were on transport and the driver somehow lost control (I think trying to avoid an accident) and the SLS's went flying everywhere. So he took me to them.

I've seen the SLS a few times in person so it was utterly shocking to see two of them utterly destroyed. Windows smashes, roofed caved in, CF broken, body dented, an utter disaster. There was dirt and grass still inside both of them.

Seems Mercedes wasn't sure what to do with them so they were just sitting there. Apparently one is even a special race version.

Just heard that the decision was made to destroy them.

Sorry I don't have pictures but they would have just made you cry.
why do I feel that this is the biggest lie ever

No no no no . Not one wrecked SLS ( I would have believed it if it was only one), but 4 wrecked in the same garage

COMMON MAN BE REALISTIC

You probably have never seen an SLS before, damn right you don't have pictures

Go take your lies somewhere else

Last edited by Nimir Qatar; 04-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I don't know if it is true or not. But I highly doubt that 4 SLS would be on one transport carrier. And if they were totaled and/or involved in an accident, it would have made news. Additionally, I am sure that Mercedes-Benz wouldn't "destroy" them. Furthermore, how would you know any of this information. I call 'fake".
Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 PM

CLK Black
How about a little wager? I think he is telling the truth......
Old 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500
How about we follow the transport to the junkyard and then take the cars for ourselves.

I don't believe it.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
can't sell these cars

MB legally can not sell these cars to the public. If you recall there were some ships that sank or that were in very rough seas and 5k plus cars were damaged. Mazda had a tanker that had rolled and damaged the cars inside. They could not sell the cars to anyone even because they can not vouch for the safety of the body and any components. Mazda had to go to every car they had and destroy the motor, blow out the airbags an then send the cars to the crusher.

So when mb says they are going to destroy the car it is not left in a scrap yard. They are actually crushed and verified for legal reasons. All manufacturers do this for all their test cars since they cant risk the liability of the car reaching the public.

With Mazda everyone wanted to buy the Miata cars for stripped down race cars but they could not verify that the strength and safety of a car after it had been held suspended by the tie straps upside down. Therefore all cars had to be crushed. They were extremely careful cataloging all parts as destroyed as well since clearly that was a salvage yards wet dream.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM

1995 E320 cabrio
Pics would've been nice, wrecked or not
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
MB legally can not sell these cars to the public. If you recall there were some ships that sank or that were in very rough seas and 5k plus cars were damaged. Mazda had a tanker that had rolled and damaged the cars inside. They could not sell the cars to anyone even because they can not vouch for the safety of the body and any components. Mazda had to go to every car they had and destroy the motor, blow out the airbags an then send the cars to the crusher.

So when mb says they are going to destroy the car it is not left in a scrap yard. They are actually crushed and verified for legal reasons. All manufacturers do this for all their test cars since they cant risk the liability of the car reaching the public.

With Mazda everyone wanted to buy the Miata cars for stripped down race cars but they could not verify that the strength and safety of a car after it had been held suspended by the tie straps upside down. Therefore all cars had to be crushed. They were extremely careful cataloging all parts as destroyed as well since clearly that was a salvage yards wet dream.
You are absolutely right. Cars are insured by the carrier and MB makes the decision if car repairable or not. It does not take much for the car to be written off and verification that the "entire" car went into the crusher is usually witnessed by an MB employee.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM

In reply to Nimir and jctevere, I believe it is true. I was at the AMG Driving Academy recently and one of the instructors was telling about a auto transporter that crashed with several SLSs on board. It almost caused Mercedes to cancel the SLS AMGs from the driving academy, which would have been a HUGE disappointment.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dwaters7
In reply to Nimir and jctevere, I believe it is true. I was at the AMG Driving Academy recently and one of the instructors was telling about a auto transporter that crashed with several SLSs on board. It almost caused Mercedes to cancel the SLS AMGs from the driving academy, which would have been a HUGE disappointment.
ok
show us some pictures so we can believe you
Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by Nimir Qatar
ok
show us some pictures so we can believe you
Mr Senator,why do we care whether you believe it or not .....
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
CynCarvin32 is correct. Good to see him posting his straight scoop on MBW once again.

Decommissioning a shipload of Mazdas owing to potential liability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcpiF51gJRE
Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Faast
Mr Senator,why do we care whether you believe it or not .....
no one asked for your opinion
Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Why you guys think that this is impossible??, I travel alot freeway CA 5 from N to S, S to N, I saw many times trucks full of porsches / Mercedes AMG / Jaguars / one time I saw a truck full of ferraris also another full of bently's why I pay attention? hard to believe that dealers sometime transport this cars w/o enclosure transportation... but a common situation here in California...
Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by jctevere
I don't know if it is true or not. But I highly doubt that 4 SLS would be on one transport carrier. And if they were totaled and/or involved in an accident, it would have made news. Additionally, I am sure that Mercedes-Benz wouldn't "destroy" them. Furthermore, how would you know any of this information. I call 'fake".
They would if they were transporting them to an AMG Driving Academy Event or to and from an auto show or race track were they may have been on display.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLS/R197/C197 AMG: I sadly got to see wrecked SLS AMGs