SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: SLS Front Plate USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS
SLS Front Plate USA

My Roadster came with a Front License bracket that does not seem to fit anywhere on the front. Anyone know the designed location?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I never really paid attention to mine because although front plates are required here in IL I would never install a front plate. A quick google image search shows exactly zero US SLS's with front plates. I guess you will be the first....but why??? If it requires drilling into the front bumber I would maybe think about finding a good fabricator and having him custom make you one that does not require drilling holes where you can see them.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLS
Absolutely, never drill... I just live in an area where one of our parking enforcements big revenue streams are missing front plate tickets.
The bracket that came with the car looks like it should attach somewhere in the grille but the contour does not match anything.
I was going to attach it for a photo to show the cops to get my tickets signed off.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
I don't think I've ever seen an SLS with front plates in the US.

Throw that thing away. Get a tow hook attachment, or something, if you get a ticket and have to show proof that it was applied.

Front plates are truly the spawn of pure evil.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by limon
Absolutely, never drill... I just live in an area where one of our parking enforcements big revenue streams are missing front plate tickets.
The bracket that came with the car looks like it should attach somewhere in the grille but the contour does not match anything.
I was going to attach it for a photo to show the cops to get my tickets signed off.
Sounds like Chicago LOL. I feel your pain but I still just pay the stupid fines.

I have a few friends that ordered some colored adhesive backed velcro in the color of their car and stuck a couple strips down real low on their front bumper covers and bent the plate to the radius of the bumper they just slap the plates on when they park or if they are out on a weekend and have a glass of wine or two and want to avoild the "probable cause" pull overs for no plates. They make velcro in every color imaginable.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SLS AMG
Stupid Bureaucrats. All they want is more money. Anything to suck more of your money out of your pocket into their pockets. Theft is another word for it.

I was thinking about putting a fake/real German license plate on the front of mine (perhaps from Baden-Baden). But then I looked at the nose of my car and decided I didn't want to alter the vision of beauty as it already exists.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
it'd take a soulless person to drill license plate holes into an SLS bumper
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
10 C six trizzle
it actually goes in the driver's side front air duct on the side of the bumper which furthermore blocks the oil cooler behind it. Just look else where for one that goes in place of the tow hook if you must have a front plate.