SLS AMG Gullwing (C197, R197) 2010 - 2014

SLS/R197/C197 AMG: Tricky Rear End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Tricky Rear End

I've had a few pants staining moments. In fact, on a rolling launch found myself doing a 360 faster then I could say "Oh Sh*t". No damage but the ego. Still, I think there is something to the attached link. What's the down low on keeping this car going straight under heavy acceleration? It may just be me, but I've read some similar post concerning this issue.

https://www.motor1.com/news/242691/m...mg-race-crash/

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
With the traction control on the car is pretty tame IMO. With it in the sport mode its still very stable. With the traction control off yeah its very traction limited. Its a 571hp car, thats what you get with a high power RWD car. Try swapping on some bigger and stickier rear tires. That being said this car with its long wheel base seems very stable vs some of the other high power race cars that I have had. Just modulate the throttle with your foot. You cant just jam the throttle in all cars.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:57 PM

2012 SLS AMG
You cant just jam the throttle in all cars.

I think this is spot on. On AWD cars, like the R8, perhaps jammin' is allowed. Jeremy Clark trying to keep an RWD Austin Martin going straight was pretty funny. He could not do it. And tires are a big deal. Cold, hard tires are going to cause issues, even with traction control. In my experience, as the car hunts for grip, the traction control gets overwhelmed, modulates, then creates some counter-productive feedback. I am not looking for a cure to what is in the DNA of this high torque, high HP car. Just wondering if there are some out there who have played with set-up.

Thanks for your response, Bill
Old 10-21-2020, 09:16 PM

2012 SLS AMG
I also notice the traction control in the "on" does some quirky things.. Like if you are doing a tight turn and use full throttle , when changing direction, it can cause a very harsh hook up sometimes. Not sure if the diff is having a hard time trying to figure out what to do. Up until this point I have only driven high horsepower "dumb" cars. That only have mechanical diffs, with no computers controlling them, and they seem to react more predictable. That being said I think the SLS in sport mode, would beat a human trying to just modulate the throttle on a non computerized car.

I would love to take the SLS to the track and really push it 10/10 to see what it could do, however am afraid of wrecking it since its not a race car, or a car thats a "throw away" type machine. But in its essence, these SLS are muscle cars.. just take the traction control off, and do a brake burn or lay some rubber in 3gears... these things are V8 beasts in all its glory.

Next set of tires I will be going with 305s or 315s on the rear if I can stuff them in, on DOT race tires for grip. It should help with hook up. Because this car is traction limited in most driving situations.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:12 PM

2012 SLS AMG
track experience 10/10

I am not too far from Road America. I think they may have some instructor led track time in which I could use the SLS. The more time spent driving this car the more I love it. If you do go with race slicks with a wider footprint, I would love to hear how they impacted handling.

Happy motoring!
Bill
Old 10-22-2020, 01:26 PM

2012 SLS AMG
I was an instructor and racer for 15years, and every time you go on the track, you have to accept that the car might not make it back

Its always the saying, dont race what you cant lose.

thats why in reality if you want to do track events, its much better to have a dedicated race car, then these fancy supercars. (which in most cases would get wasted by properly set up race cars with much less horsepower)

Old 10-22-2020, 03:06 PM

2012 SLS AMG
good advice

would not make it back is not an option. thanks for the good advice. bill
Old 10-22-2020, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 145 Posts
SLS AMG
Another owner I know put 305s on the rear and 265s upfront on stock wheels with no issues. Pilot 4 S.... Give that a try....

The following users liked this post:
emerzen (10-31-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by ADAMSLSAMG
I was an instructor and racer for 15years, and every time you go on the track, you have to accept that the car might not make it back

Its always the saying, dont race what you cant lose.

thats why in reality if you want to do track events, its much better to have a dedicated race car, then these fancy supercars. (which in most cases would get wasted by properly set up race cars with much less horsepower)
racers drive 90-100%.....we don’t. I only drive 90-100% on iracing simulator.