Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Professional Corner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2009 | 08:38 PM

It changes all the time
Professional Corner

Ever givin some thought to provide a professional's corner, where professional mechanics could hang out? A couple of other MB websites did it, but they ended up using young dumb *** moderators who drove the pros off.
Old 02-24-2009 | 09:30 PM
MBWorld Founder

2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by hineywineries
Ever givin some thought to provide a professional's corner, where professional mechanics could hang out? A couple of other MB websites did it, but they ended up using young dumb *** moderators who drove the pros off.
Well it's a good thing we don't have any young dumb *** moderators on this forum

Your suggestion is good and I can see how that would work in theory. Would these people answer questions and offer support to the community? Who would verify the credentials of these members?
Old 02-24-2009 | 09:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Well it's a good thing we don't have any young dumb *** moderators on this forum
Sorry I'll try harder
Old 02-25-2009 | 10:14 AM

It changes all the time
Referring back to the other non named website, the professional mechanics were the only ones allowed access to the site. We were able to discuss and help each other diagnose MB problems at a higher level without someone interjecting ideas like (maybe it's a fuse). The discussions can get quite technical on subects like SAMs, CANs, BCMs, etc. These pros also search the threads and offer help to DIYs. I don't mean to sound high and mighty, because I'm the first to admit that I have learned alot from DIYs. There is some pretty good talent posting here. These guys have other careers, but enjoy solving problems with their MBs. Some of them could have been awsome mechanics. In my opinion, to become a professional mechanic takes more than gettina box of tools and start fixen on cars. There is schooling and constant reading of professional journals to stay on top of your game. You can spend a fortune on one day workshops.

There is no need to verify credentials, because members will know right off who belongs and who doesn't and could ask admin to ban them. I'm a member of IATN (international automotve technical network), and you can tell the ones who tried to slide in. some questions are asked at such a basic level that they don't get answered.
Old 02-25-2009 | 01:26 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Referring back to the other non named website, the professional mechanics were the only ones allowed access to the site. We were able to discuss and help each other diagnose MB problems at a higher level without someone interjecting ideas like (maybe it's a fuse). The discussions can get quite technical on subects like SAMs, CANs, BCMs, etc. These pros also search the threads and offer help to DIYs. I don't mean to sound high and mighty, because I'm the first to admit that I have learned alot from DIYs. There is some pretty good talent posting here. These guys have other careers, but enjoy solving problems with their MBs. Some of them could have been awsome mechanics. In my opinion, to become a professional mechanic takes more than gettina box of tools and start fixen on cars. There is schooling and constant reading of professional journals to stay on top of your game. You can spend a fortune on one day workshops.

There is no need to verify credentials, because members will know right off who belongs and who doesn't and could ask admin to ban them. I'm a member of IATN (international automotve technical network), and you can tell the ones who tried to slide in. some questions are asked at such a basic level that they don't get answered.
If only pros are allowed access how will a pro gain access if no verification. And who is to say that pros can't crack a joke every now and then.
Old 02-25-2009 | 01:40 PM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
If only pros are allowed access how will a pro gain access if no verification. And who is to say that pros can't crack a joke every now and then.
As I alluded, it would be strictly honor system, and members of the group could ask admin to bar a non professional from the site. It doesn't take too many posts to tell if some one is up to speed or not. I'm sorry, but I must have missed something about cracking jokes.
Old 03-06-2009 | 01:03 PM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
If something like this is formed, I think you should make it viewable by all with limited access for posting to the professionals. It would make it easier for the pro's to refer DIY'ers to the section, and allow amateurs to learn.
Old 03-10-2009 | 08:46 PM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
If something like this is formed, I think you should make it viewable by all with limited access for posting to the professionals. It would make it easier for the pro's to refer DIY'ers to the section, and allow amateurs to learn.
I really appreciate your thoughts and input, but I don't believe that would be feasable, because it would kinda be like students hanging out in the faculty lounge. At any rate it is a moot point, because administration has apparently decided as we Navy man say" deep sixed the idea" which is indicated by its reticence on the subject.
Old 03-10-2009 | 09:16 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I really appreciate your thoughts and input, but I don't believe that would be feasable, because it would kinda be like students hanging out in the faculty lounge. At any rate it is a moot point, because administration has apparently decided as we Navy man say" deep sixed the idea" which is indicated by its reticence on the subject.
No flame, but what you were asking is for someone to host a profesional forum , with limited access, at their expense, to benefit the select few. How would you respond if the shoe would be on the other foot; i.e. looking for a freebie?
Old 03-10-2009 | 09:57 PM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
No flame, but what you were asking is for someone to host a profesional forum , with limited access, at their expense, to benefit the select few. How would you respond if the shoe would be on the other foot; i.e. looking for a freebie?
I Respect the no flame, but I'm not sure of the question. There is no benefit to just a few. Companies like Pixar realize that to draw talent you need to provide a comfortable environment. Talent roosts where it feels comfortable. I'm sure of this, because I have friends at Pixar. The point is that if Professional mechanics start converging here, they will be available to help the members. It is the nature of the beast to help others. As to the freebies why should professional mechanics spend time helping others for free, when they can be making money at there profession?