Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Forum for the classic AMG Baby Hammer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2014 | 05:31 PM

W201 190E 3.0 M103
Forum for the classic AMG Baby Hammer?

I have seen the rare owner of a W201 AMG 3.2 floating about the web, but with no dedicated subforum for this largely overlooked type they're real hard to find on demand to ask questions.

I'm doing up my W201.029 and prefer to mod the M103 over installing an M104 or some other engine type, AMG are a terrific guideline for mods since well, there's precious little info anywhere on modding the M103. That's a shame because when you open them up with a cam change they actually produce a fair bit of grunt.

I'm a member at 190rev but it's mostly 16 valvers and EFI conversions there.

I've oodles of questions for a W201 AMG owner or experts, like for example I've installed an aftermarket cam that should be similar, if not slightly more aggressive than the AMG 3.2 grind, the CIS-E-II ECU isn't programmable so I want to know if AMG used a custom produced one or managed ~255bhp off the stock ignition setup, ie. if there's specific AMG part numbers for the 3.2 ECU/EZL?

The other argument for an AMG 3.2 (W201) subforum is that it's a classic, among first of the breed, the Baby Hammer shouldn't be overlooked on any AMG page.
I do realize the model is rare but perhaps if the subforum was opened it might attract some? It would also be a centralized location to post my questions.

There is at least one AMG 3.2 owner at 190rev, I'll try to hunt him down and see if he would back up the request by posting.
Old 06-04-2014 | 06:47 AM
Administrator Emeritus

We'll be happy to take a look. We do need to ensure there is sufficient content and interest in a particular model for a separate forum. I'll ask the moderators for their input too. Thanks!

Bob
Old 06-04-2014 | 08:59 AM

W201 190E 3.0 M103
Thanks Bob, do appreciate it. I'm starting to tap good power from the 2.6 at around 185bhp presently but I'm running into stalls about how little info there is on any kind of custom high performance setup there is on these engines.

I'd really like to stick with the Kjet setup at least for the near future and am looking at things like buying a spanking new M103.98X (3.0) to swap all the go-faster gear into, at around 5-grand (worth it), but an AMG owner or expert may have far more information to work with. From what I've heard the 3.2 was actually based on the 2.6 engine and not a 3.0 block for some reason, I need to know more about the AMG Kjet setup particularly in ignition (there's a local Merc racebuilder who can setup Kjet fuel tuning for me but we're all stumped on what to do with ignition), there's just so many questions I have and I'm saving right now to have these things done to the beast without really knowing what exactly I should be spending it on...

But the great thing I love thinking about was an AMG 3.2 owner's comment at 190rev one time was that when he pulled up at the lights nobody really expected just how much power he had on tap from this little old mercedes, it was a real street sleeper but under the hood was a real monster.
I guess that's why Wheels Magazine called them "A Porsche with a baby seat" back in the 90s...

I really want mine to achieve that kind of style and performance, it's exactly what I wanted from this car all along. I used to track race Toranas, got 250bhp out of a 3.3 litre but that thing rocked and snorted like a earthquake and cops sure didn't like it. Getting that kind of power in the same weight car that runs nice in traffic and does good highway mileage, well it just seems the impossible dream and something I really want.

I guess what it comes down to is best I can figure I'm looking at around 210-220bhp upper limit on an M10398x 3.0 changeover with the stock Kjet and I'm wondering how in heavens did AMG manage another 35+bhp. I need that power, or else it's better from the start to look at butchering it with a V8 or blower option and I just didn't want that, or a later model's engine like the 104. I really...as in really need 250bhp or so from an M103 and AMG did it and sedately too. Will the ignition curve take 300+ degrees advertised duration, I don't even know. I can go heavier on the cam grind if it can. How do I spend my money without wasting it? Mistakes I've already found: expensive in a stupidly big way.

Last edited by vanir; 06-04-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2014 | 09:03 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Hi again,

I apologize for the delay in responding. We feel there would not be sufficient activity to justify a separate forum at this time. We have to be careful to not create 'orphan' forums. Please let me know if that changes or there are a large number threads currently on the topic. We can always revisit this in the future. Thanks!

Bob