Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Why the sticky Mazda multibot thread at the top of every discussion forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Question Why the sticky Mazda multibot thread at the top of every discussion forum?

Maybe it's just me...
I don't mind the adverts in the header of each forum...
I don't mind the adverts in the bottom of each forum...
I don't mind the adverts separating each page in each forum...
I don't mind MBWorld sponsored-member threads in each forum...

BUT..

I object to the recent decision to allow an unidentified advertiser to occupy a sticky spot at the top of the most read forums (W212, W213, others), advertising everything from Mazda products, to offers to refinance loans. These adverts alternate among 3-4 posting bots with every screen refresh, clearly not consciously controlled by anyone. Further, the threads do not allow member feedback, or input of any kind.

As far as I am concerned, the DISCUSSION areas of the forums at MBWorld are there for the use of forum members to discuss what the members want. Forum rules do not tolerate posts from identifiable bots. Yet, we now have exactly that at the top of each discussion forum. To allow random advertisers to occupy the top posting spot in the member discussion area is a distraction to the forum membership, at minimum, and insulting at worst. If I want to learn about Mazdas, there is a dedicated Mazda forum for that. The random rotating tripe offering to renegotiate loans, etc, just reminds of the worthless, nusiance robocalls all of us receive daily, and is not appreciated, IMO.

Internet Brands can do what it wants with it's forums, of course. But it is the intrusion of non-member advertising within the membership posting area is what I object to. I suppose next we will see the proliferation of these intruding threads after every 20th legitimate member thread... then after every 10th member thread, etc. And all of it wasting membership posting bandwidth in the area dedicated to membership posts.

Discuss...

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-28-2019 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
Cambridgehank (03-01-2019), dbldpr (03-02-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I do not see but maybe my install of ADBLOCK Plus is working?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi Bob,

I don't see a Mazda ad, I do see a very small video ad now. Is this the ad placement you are describing?

Bob
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
No, Bob. I'm seeing this sticky at the top of the W212, W213, etc. forum. Labeled "Sponsored Content," the subject matter (and poster name) changes on page refreshes...

Last edited by DFWdude; 03-02-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
And today on the W212 forum, the Stickied "Sponsored Content" thread transforms into some story by a different "member" that will direct you off-site, spoofing an Internet Brands page. Notice there are no stats displayed for thread views or replies (right 2 columns). Because you can't reply.

And then, just a few screen refreshes later, another topic by another fictional member...

Last edited by DFWdude; 03-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Bob,

As you know the staff cannot moderate those posts. I don't like them either when they drift into the realm of grocery store tabloid. I will forward your feedback to IB, thank you.

Bob
Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by DFWdude
Maybe it's just me...
I don't mind the adverts in the header of each forum...
I don't mind the adverts in the bottom of each forum...
I don't mind the adverts separating each page in each forum...
I don't mind MBWorld sponsored-member threads in each forum...

BUT..

I object to the recent decision to allow an unidentified advertiser to occupy a sticky spot at the top of the most read forums (W212, W213, others), advertising everything from Mazda products, to offers to refinance loans. These adverts alternate among 3-4 posting bots with every screen refresh, clearly not consciously controlled by anyone. Further, the threads do not allow member feedback, or input of any kind.

As far as I am concerned, the DISCUSSION areas of the forums at MBWorld are there for the use of forum members to discuss what the members want. Forum rules do not tolerate posts from identifiable bots. Yet, we now have exactly that at the top of each discussion forum. To allow random advertisers to occupy the top posting spot in the member discussion area is a distraction to the forum membership, at minimum, and insulting at worst. If I want to learn about Mazdas, there is a dedicated Mazda forum for that. The random rotating tripe offering to renegotiate loans, etc, just reminds of the worthless, nusiance robocalls all of us receive daily, and is not appreciated, IMO.

Internet Brands can do what it wants with it's forums, of course. But it is the intrusion of non-member advertising within the membership posting area is what I object to. I suppose next we will see the proliferation of these intruding threads after every 20th legitimate member thread... then after every 10th member thread, etc. And all of it wasting membership posting bandwidth in the area dedicated to membership posts.

Discuss...
Bob,

Where you logged in? The ads where for logged out only and will be turned off, thanks.

Bob
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by speedlimit
Bob,

Where you logged in? The ads where for logged out only and will be turned off, thanks.

Bob
I am perpetually logged in, sad to say...

That said, I don't see the ads this morning, so...
Old 03-06-2019, 09:30 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thank you for the followup Bob.

It was a mistake, they were not supposed to be visible to logged in members. IB Cheryl has turned them off and removed the ads. Thanks again for letting us know.

Bob
Old 03-07-2019, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Thank you and Cheryl so much, Bob!