Suggestions & Feedback Use this forum to post and discuss suggestions for both the MBworld.org Disucussion Forums and the the MBworld.org Website.

Probation Accounts for New Members

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Probation Accounts for New Members

Can the mods please do something to prevent new members from signing up and then immediately ask questions that have been answered a thousand times?

The W204 C63 forum is unreadable due to the influx of new owners. They don’t read the FAQ, they don’t read any posts, they don’t introduce themselves. They just launch into the most common questions when there are already answers right on the front page, including multiple active threads and the FAQ.

It’s beyond irritating and is making long time members go elsewhere due to the constant spamming.

Can new accounts please have a one month probation period where they can only read and not post?

Thanks for any ideas. I like MBW but it is complete chaos right now.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hey,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. Your points are well taken and I agree with you.

We need to address this but we will need help from the community to implement solutions. I need to talk to IB concerning how other communities address this issue as it is not unique to MBWorld.

If you don't mind I will follow-up with you via a PM later today or tomorrow after I have talk to the moderator team and IB.

I am very interested in reading the comments from other members concerning this topic. Thank you!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,440 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Can the mods please do something to prevent new members from signing up and then immediately ask questions that have been answered a thousand times?

The W204 C63 forum is unreadable due to the influx of new owners. They don’t read the FAQ, they don’t read any posts, they don’t introduce themselves. They just launch into the most common questions when there are already answers right on the front page, including multiple active threads and the FAQ.

It’s beyond irritating and is making long time members go elsewhere due to the constant spamming.

Can new accounts please have a one month probation period where they can only read and not post?

Thanks for any ideas. I like MBW but it is complete chaos right now.
I agree. Not only irritating but it clogs up the subs and creates undo confusion. Furthermore, new members should introduce themselves prior to being able to post. This could be a separate sub.

I also feel that the vendors are out of control. There should be a separate sub for vendors. It's beyond annoying to have half a page taken up by the same vendor offering a dozen different wheel packages and combing through to page two to get to any real and new content.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
BLKROKT (04-21-2021), Glowering (04-21-2021), sgawiser (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thank you for the feedback.

Vendor access to all areas of the community is a legacy privilege started by the site founders. The moderators do not have any account control over vendors, that is the exclusive domain of IB Advertising and to be fair the advertising revenue helps fund new software and community upgrades.

Bob
places (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hey,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. Your points are well taken and I agree with you.

We need to address this but we will need help from the community to implement solutions. I need to talk to IB concerning how other communities address this issue as it is not unique to MBWorld.

If you don't mind I will follow-up with you via a PM later today or tomorrow after I have talk to the moderator team and IB.

I am very interested in reading the comments from other members concerning this topic. Thank you!

Bob
Thanks Bob!

Totally understand that new members are the lifeblood of any forum. However these repetitive questions are often accompanied by bad information, which clogs the search function even more when people are actually looking for those answers. That vicious cycle is what’s getting out of control, and I appreciate your openness to finding solutions here.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:59 PM
Administrator Emeritus

That is a excellent point. Thank you.

Bob
BLKROKT (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
I think we should also ban members for a few days who try and act like Moderators - without holding the title.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MTV10
I think we should also ban members for a few days who try and act like Moderators - without holding the title.
Thanks for volunteering for that