Sponsored by:

e55 air flow sensor problems HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 e55 w211 ....
e55 air flow sensor problems HELP

hi again, after reading lots of threads on here about fuel trim errors meaning maf sensors broken i replaced mine today... as mine was throwing up the fuel trim errors bank 1 and 2...... bought a air flow sensor from german EBAY ... which has been confirmed is correct 1.....

fitted it today and started car...... misfiring under load, drive slowly at part throttle then put your foot down, chucks out black smoke out back (which is obviously fuel) and misfires and kangerroo's untill lift foot???? even sometimes stalls after starting it????? had codes cleared and they didn't come back... so fuel trim was sorted but misfiring etc etc.......

so changed back to old MAF and car ran fine........
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM

my car runs fine but stumbles at 5500 rpm. does this mean its maf is going bad? just replaced all the plugs, oil, air filters, fuel filter, etc...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 AM

2002 e55 w211 ....
could well be mate.....
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Palmer:
If you buy one from eBay, you'd better buy the Bosch one (true OEM). Don't buy the aftermarket one.... Bosch is a little more expensive... but guaranteed to work. Check some online stores also... I think I got it from autopartswarehouse.com for around $100.

Migs:
Your problem is likely MAF.... the sensor is malfunction and may be responsible for the drop in air coming in, hence, stumbles the engine.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 AM

2002 e55 w211 ....
thanks for all your help people ......!!! car sorted!!!!!

bought a non-genuine part which failed to help!!!! so bought a REAL bosch one which still failed to help???????

untill i found out basically the car had been running with a faulty one for some time!!!!! so the car had adapted so much it didn't know what the hell to do with the new one...... went as far as turning O2 sensors off itself!!!!

got car TOTALLY RE-set .... as in totally reset!!!!!!! had to drive it under 2000rpm to make the gear box change into each gear....... car took a while to learn new bits ... still learning now!!!!!!!

BUT christ what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOES LIKE A ROCKET NOW!!!!!!!

i bought it with a faulty sensor and was un-impressed!!!! but now its sorted .... whhat a machine!!!!!

did a 0-60mph last night ... best before was 8 seconds ish....

1st time tried it last night 5.54 seconds!!!!!!! awesome.....

SO thanks for everything as suspected MAF sensor .... so all good now!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Terrific news Palmer

Must say I also took my baby out last evening for a blast around some A & B roads. Perfect dry weather conditions. Just had new rubber fitted (Eagle F1s all round). Conclusion: What a fantastic car!

Normal in gear acceleration is impressive enough, however, tried the kickdown for the first time (previous tyres were really worn out & didn't fancy pushing my luck) & she can really fly.

Coming off a roundabout & about to join a straight, I kicked down & it handled the bend with total confidence, good feedback, no getting out of shape at all, she just went like a rocket & yet still felt completely composed, almost relaxed!! I don't find the traction control intrusive, unlike my old e39 M5. So no need to deactivate it as yet.

10 minutes later, you're back in town & she's equally comfortable tootling around in traffic. She's also very quiet around town that I'm sure people just don't hear her coming & on a couple of occasions people have stepped out into the road right in front of me. Thank goodness the brakes are excellent.

All in all, a quite remarkable car. I think I'm in love

Just about to get an Alpine CD changer (CHM-S630) fitted in the boot & she will be the perfect family dragster car for me! Fuel consumption seems very reasonable too.

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Almost a Member!

E36 AMG W210 /// C43 AMG W202
Hi Chris

Hope you're well mate, sounds like the 55' has found a permanent place in your heart.

Been looking at a few C43's, one is superb, but a lot are getting very dog eared... leaking diffs, dents etc. bught for speed rather than the pride of ownership and it really shows.

I wanted to ask a question about the E55 though and that was what's the MPG roughly like? The C43 is supposed to be good for 30MPG (obviously not under load) and I wondered what the 5.5 does, as I still hanker for one and they're proving cheaper too!

Nath

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM

E55 AMG Estate W210 1998
Hi Nath

Reckon it's slightly better than the e39 M5, that was 21mpg. Think the E55 is 22-23mpg. I'll double check on this, with a proper calculation, when I next fill up. After discovering the kick down, the mpg will probably deteriorate rapidly

Does the 1998 E55 have a fuel computer?

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM

2002 e55 w211 ....
no fuel computer!!!

prob due to the fact if you own 1 ... you simply fill it up when its needed!! ha ha ha

but pretty sure 24mpg-26mpg is a goog guess if you drive very very very carefully!!!!!

but kick down ... that def single figures!!!!!!!!!