Sponsored by:

Weird Problem - ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 210
Weird Problem - ESP

Late yesterday while driving home, I decided to open her up on the highway. Got her up to 85 and when I came across some wet spots on the road.
My ESP indicator when nuts and then kicked in. I noticed that my rpms went way up and it seemed that my transmission didn't catch, got scared and applied the brakes to a full stop. As soon as I pulled over I shifted to neutral and went back to drive right away - Everything after seemed fine after that.

I have had no issues afterwards except for a check lamp malfunction. There were no error codes indicating any other issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

I should mentioned that I had to jump the battery because I have not touched the car in 3 months. Not sure if a drained battery would cause this...

My e55 is a 2001 with only 26000 miles.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
mostlikely battery
Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 Mercedes E55 AMG W210
I think mine may do the same every now and then. Thought it was just wheelspin but the last time it did it I'm sure the it was like a slipping clutch.

I also seem to have a quirk where the inside wheel spins at very low mph when turning out of my car park, no matter how softly I feather the throttle...

Any help would also be greatly appreciated.

DC
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Hey guys, any more issues with this? I have an 05 E55 and I just installed a 180mm pulley on it and this morning when I took a right onto the freeway on ramp, i floored it with the tranny in automatic S mode, got up to roughly 80, then started coasting down to about 70 mph. I noticed that the tranny was in neutral at that point. I could rev the engine without any accelleration. The shifter was in drive and the instrument cluster indicated "D" & "S" (sport). I pulled over, coasted to a stop, put in park and then reverse and it went fine after that. THis is the first time I've had this problem. Any more ideas?

Just some more info: I got a P0128 check engine code a couple days ago. This indicates a low coolant temprature. I expect this is because the pulley that I got came with another water pump pulley, so that probably changed the flow rate a little. THe check engine light was not on at the time of the problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
First you might want to post that in the right forum W211 this is the W210, but also the original post here refers to an issue with the ESP , which can kick in in a variety of ways but I have never heard the ESP put the car in Neutral , I would say double check your newly installed pulley and the belt, that shouldnt affect the tranny but there are several bad stores about improper pulley installations.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
Originally Posted by maxwerks
First you might want to post that in the right forum W211 this is the W210, but also the original post here refers to an issue with the ESP , which can kick in in a variety of ways but I have never heard the ESP put the car in Neutral , I would say double check your newly installed pulley and the belt, that shouldnt affect the tranny but there are several bad stores about improper pulley installations.
Hey, maxwerks, I noticed the forum I was posting on and that it is not an exact match with my model. Also, that the author of the thread had an issue with ESP. This thread turned up on a keyword search and seeing as how the symptoms are largely the same, I thought I'd go ahead and pan for some help. After all in spite of the differences, it's highly likely I'd get some useful info, right? I mean they're very similar machines. I hope you aren't mad for the invasion of your thread
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by kurtwz
I have an 05 E55 and I just installed a 180mm pulley on it and this morning when I took a right onto the freeway on ramp, i floored it with the tranny in automatic S mode, got up to roughly 80, then started coasting down to about 70 mph. I noticed that the tranny was in neutral at that point. I could rev the engine without any accelleration. The shifter was in drive and the instrument cluster indicated "D" & "S" (sport). I pulled over, coasted to a stop, put in park and then reverse and it went fine after that. THis is the first time I've had this problem.
I don't know enough about the W211, but on the W210 this sounds like a pedal sensor issue. You can test it easily enough. Floor the pedal all the way, hard, and see if that immediately puts the car into a sort of limp mode. You should be unable to accelerate properly and some other functions, like cruise control, should be deactivated. If so, you probably need a new pedal sensor.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by kurtwz
Hey, maxwerks, I noticed the forum I was posting on and that it is not an exact match with my model. Also, that the author of the thread had an issue with ESP. This thread turned up on a keyword search and seeing as how the symptoms are largely the same, I thought I'd go ahead and pan for some help. After all in spite of the differences, it's highly likely I'd get some useful info, right? I mean they're very similar machines. I hope you aren't mad for the invasion of your thread
Not mad at all and there is no invasion, I was only concerned that you would be better off posting it on the W211 so that the possible answers are W211 related... while the cars are similar there are enough differences , we welcome any AMG owners and we are all here to help one another. Regards,
Max