Cali Cat Headache!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 138 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Cali Cat Headache!

So my left side Catalytic assembly sounds like a box of rocks. I've been trying to find some type of reasonable repair solution for a year and a half. The car is a 2000 E55 and the cat started making noise (and possibly effecting performance as well) right at 81,000 miles. So the dealer tells me that the warranty covers the cats up to 80,000. What crock of sh**. I battled it up the line with Mercedes with no luck. They woudn't budge. So it seems in CA the only game in town (legally) is to buy a new assembly from a dealer. Guess what? $2,400 !!! What a scam.

I posted a similar thread about a year ago and didn't have much luck with any solutions offered. I thought I would try again in case someone has had, or knows of, a breakthrough with this nonsense.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
If you’re willing to do the work yourself, you’ll need a pipe cutter, two or four universal metal substrate converters and either ID-ID connectors or a pipe expanded and clamps for OD-ID.

The State of California has some scam going. The independent muffler shops can’t replace the cats with aftermarket parts, and the dealers can charge whatever they want.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Silver E55
I posted a similiar thread not too long ago. I currently have the same exact problem with my 2000 E55. Except for me, it is actually worse because both of my front cats are bad, and you are absolutely right...they sound like a bag of rocks rattling. Mine has gotten significantly worse over the last few weeks. I also took my car to the MB dealer here in South FL and they told me that because my car has 87,000 miles I have to buy them myself and each one is around $1,700 ! I still can't seem to understand how a Catalytic Converter can cost that much money...I dont give a damn if our cars are Mercedes, but that is just insane!

I have already went to a local muffler shop where I know the owner, but he is also reluctant to deal with it, and he is telling me that there are no "aftermarket" cats for my car. Basically everyone is telling me that I am f***ed, and that I have to bite the bullet and buy them from MB. Not, only am I not willing to do this, but I don't have $3,500 right now to just throw into a car repair.

If anyone here on this Forum has overcome this problem and has any alternate suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Felipe.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
I'm having a cat problem that my dealer is giving me a hard time about and am going to persue with Mercedes. Anyway what I was planning on doing if I have to change them myself, like MarcusF said, is welding in a pair of cats from http://www.randomtechnology.com/ and deleting the rear cats scince they are not measured by the computer. I have alot of friends with high power Evo's and WRX's that use random tech cats to stay emmisions compliant with excellent results.

HTH,
Steve
Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by broker1
I have already went to a local muffler shop where I know the owner, but he is also reluctant to deal with it, and he is telling me that there are no "aftermarket" cats for my car. Basically everyone is telling me that I am f***ed, and that I have to bite the bullet and buy them from MB. Not, only am I not willing to do this, but I don't have $3,500 right now to just throw into a car repair.

If anyone here on this Forum has overcome this problem and has any alternate suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Felipe.
Your muffler shop buddy is not your buddy.

Old ones cut out new ones welded in out the door for around $500.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...966288/c-10101
Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
How much of a possibility is there to have it done in one of the nearby states?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MarcusF

The State of California has some scam going. The independent muffler shops can’t replace the cats with aftermarket parts, and the dealers can charge whatever they want.
Last I checked, which was a while ago... so I can be wrong, you can replace a bad cat in CA. You just can't replace a good working one. Meaning, you can't take a pretty new car to a muffler shop and have them install a hi flow cat just for performance. But you can install a high flow cat to replace a failing one.

It would not make sense to be required to only install dealer OEM parts, since dealers do not have to provide parts for their cars forever.

Unless new laws have come out... not calling anyone out... if I'm wrong let me know.... as I might be in the same situation. I'd prefer links to the actual laws if available.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
How much of a possibility is there to have it done in one of the nearby states?
Interesting idea. However the nearest state to Bay Area, CA is 300 miles (Nevada). Not like those NE states where they're all bunched together.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The-LS
Last I checked, which was a while ago... so I can be wrong, you can replace a bad cat in CA. You just can't replace a good working one. Meaning, you can't take a pretty new car to a muffler shop and have them install a hi flow cat just for performance. But you can install a high flow cat to replace a failing one.

It would not make sense to be required to only install dealer OEM parts, since dealers do not have to provide parts for their cars forever.

Unless new laws have come out... not calling anyone out... if I'm wrong let me know.... as I might be in the same situation. I'd prefer links to the actual laws if available.
Ok, so assuming you're right (and I sure hope you are!), what would be a good high-flow cat and where do I get it? And then I guess I would need to trust a muffler shop to weld it in correctly, if they'll do it at all. I would also think that If I was fortunate enough for this to play out, that I would want to do both cats for balance. In this scenario, I actually seem to only have one bad cat (left) so then I would need to get them to do the other against the guideline you mentioned. UGGGGggghhhhh!! What to do?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM

2000 Silver E55
UPDATE:

After dealing with the same issues as some of you regarding bad cats. I was stressed out for the last two weeks thinking that I was going to have to end up buying both front cats and paying over $3,000.00

I did some research and also spoke to some people down here in S. FL, and I was finally put in touch with the right person who was able to "fix" both of my cats. Before anyone starts coming on and talking about illegal, or check engine lights coming on, etc....please keep in mind that I live in Florida, and we no longer have Emmissions inspections here, and to be quite frank, I really am not too concerned about my check engine light coming on due to my O2 sensors reading too much air.....Bottom line is that I was able to take care of this for only $475.00...which is a savings of over $2,500.00...to me that is very important!

What I basically had done, was open up my cats, then had them "gut-out" the inside (filters * cause of noise/rattling) and then had them nicely welded back. I just drove the car, and I must say that it has MUCH better response! The noise is a little bit difference at open throttle, but at idle it is the same.

I am not advocating that what I had done is completely right to do, because I understand that it is NOT "environment friendly" but unfortunately for me, the option to replace them and pay $3,000.00 is just NOT possible for me at the moment.

So far, it seems like it worked out good for me.

Here is a quote from another Member: Waynec1980...this is what gave me the initial idea.

Originally Posted by Waynec1980
I have removed both front cats as my left one became bad. I still have the right one which is good and if you pay shipping I can send it. Maybe you should double check that both cats are gone. The reason my cat failed was because of a bang to the exhaust going over a ramp. Removing the cats and putting straight pipes in only made it sound better and seem punchier than before. I have had no problems with the enigne managment and no problems with the emissions. I still have the secondary cats but no resonator just an XPipe.
You should be fine with removing them but mine is a 99 pre can-bus/pre facelift.

Oh and I forgot this happened at 79k I am currently at 83k miles.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by broker1
UPDATE:

After dealing with the same issues as some of you regarding bad cats. I was stressed out for the last two weeks thinking that I was going to have to end up buying both front cats and paying over $3,000.00

I did some research and also spoke to some people down here in S. FL, and I was finally put in touch with the right person who was able to "fix" both of my cats. Before anyone starts coming on and talking about illegal, or check engine lights coming on, etc....please keep in mind that I live in Florida, and we no longer have Emmissions inspections here, and to be quite frank, I really am not too concerned about my check engine light coming on due to my O2 sensors reading too much air.....Bottom line is that I was able to take care of this for only $475.00...which is a savings of over $2,500.00...to me that is very important!

What I basically had done, was open up my cats, then had them "gut-out" the inside (filters * cause of noise/rattling) and then had them nicely welded back. I just drove the car, and I must say that it has MUCH better response! The noise is a little bit difference at open throttle, but at idle it is the same.

I am not advocating that what I had done is completely right to do, because I understand that it is NOT "environment friendly" but unfortunately for me, the option to replace them and pay $3,000.00 is just NOT possible for me at the moment.

So far, it seems like it worked out good for me.

Here is a quote from another Member: Waynec1980...this is what gave me the initial idea.
Dude,
Thanks for the info. Did I mention that I work for the EPA? Just kidding. I hear ya, you gotta do what you gotta do. If I could get away with what you did, I would do it in a second. Unfortunately though, I live in smog control HELL! California. Don't feel too guilty about your solution as your car, even without functioning cats, is still likely running cleaner than a whole bunch of beaters currently on the road that are smog legal!

For me right now the noise is an annoyance for the most part. I'm sort of playing the odds that a legal aftermarket solution will soon come as the car ages a bit more. The cat doesn't seem to be causing performance issues yet so I'm just driving with my windows rolled up so I don't hear it!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 PM

2001 e55
I wouldn't wait too much longer as I read a post a while back that suggested loose cat particles got sucked back up into a cylinder and caused major engine damage to a member's E55. Posted some nasty pictures as well. I'll try to find the post as it could have been on the forum (BW).
Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by phil55
I wouldn't wait too much longer as I read a post a while back that suggested loose cat particles got sucked back up into a cylinder and caused major engine damage to a member's E55. Posted some nasty pictures as well. I'll try to find the post as it could have been on the forum (BW).
Well thanks Phil for brightening my day with that piece of info! The cat actually doesn't sound any worse now than it did a year ago. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and I haven't noticed any change in performance and it did pass smog about 6 months ago. I would think it's pretty unlikely that the scenario you mentioned would happen. But I appreciate the heads up. I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers