Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vicc430DP
Great, let us know the results. Good or bad
Hey all,

Just letting everyone know that we dynoed Peter's E55 (in 4th gear) a few times yesterday on PDXT's Mustang dyno (where jeff.bisonett dynoed his stg3, however in 3rd gear) and dynoed Peter's E55 again today at PDXT.

We've sent all of the info to Cory at Kleemann as well.

I've sent two emails (one yesterday, one today) to Peter and am waiting to hear back from him on both before we post any info/news.

Just keeping you guys informed.

Best regards,
Jeremy
Matrix Integrated
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i just read the entire thread...very sad.
jeremy seems like he's trying his best to help, but clearly there are too many variables - no way he can control what happens.
several years ago, when i had an E320 lorinser i had thought about kleeman. i later sold the car and had an E55 before my current S55.
from everything that i've read, it appears that there's no upside to putting in $15k in after-tax dollars to upgrade anything, including supercharging the engine.
besides all the possible problems and headaches, there's a zero/negative return on the invested capital. better off selling the car E55 and buying a 2003+ E55 kompressor?
let the debates begin....
Patrick
Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
i just read the entire thread...very sad.
jeremy seems like he's trying his best to help, but clearly there are too many variables - no way he can control what happens.
several years ago, when i had an E320 lorinser i had thought about kleeman. i later sold the car and had an E55 before my current S55.
from everything that i've read, it appears that there's no upside to putting in $15k in after-tax dollars to upgrade anything, including supercharging the engine.
besides all the possible problems and headaches, there's a zero/negative return on the invested capital. better off selling the car E55 and buying a 2003+ E55 kompressor?
let the debates begin....
Patrick

.........now that the W211 E55's are $30K, it definitely makes more financial sense to buy one than try to mode a W210 E55 by adding a Kleemann s/c. However there is a lot about this business of dumping money into cars that cannot be expained by just sheer finances. It is a disease. I am as afflicted as the next guy and currently not seeking treatment.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 04-23-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by jeremyw
Hey all,

Just letting everyone know that we dynoed Peter's E55 (in 4th gear) a few times yesterday on PDXT's Mustang dyno (where jeff.bisonett dynoed his stg3, however in 3rd gear) and dynoed Peter's E55 again today at PDXT.

We've sent all of the info to Cory at Kleemann as well.

I've sent two emails (one yesterday, one today) to Peter and am waiting to hear back from him on both before we post any info/news.

Just keeping you guys informed.

Best regards,
Jeremy
Matrix Integrated
I'm just to upset to reply..Best run at PDX tuning is 367whp 400wtq @ 5.9psi
Jeff best run was 385whp and 411wtq and his is a stage 3! something is freaking wrong here!! Kleemann advertise 510bhp with stage 2 and .5 bar. My number was no where near that. Look at Jeff stage 3 number..Cory from Kleemann said this is normal and this is what they expected the stage 2 to make. This is not normal this is a joke!!

I feel a little better that Jeff's stage 3 only make 18 more whp than mine. If I were Jeff I would be screening my head off!

you guys can ready the e-mails and tell me if you were me you would be happy right now..

Hey Peter,

Did you receive my email yesterday?

Here were Cory at Kleemann’s comments on yesterdays dyno runs;

“I notice is the car is 1000 RPM short of redline- not sure why but it should be revving to 6400 RPM- not 5500.”

I explained to him that the Mustang dyno has a 150mph top speed. Since we’re dynoing in 4th gear, we saw on the first test runs yesterday that if the car was run to redline, the speed would exceed 150mph and it wouldn’t complete the dyno run/test(dyno reads STOP). So, PDXT had to drop the rpm down so that the test was run to stay under the 150mph max.

“At roughly 5000 RPM, it looks like the car is pulling timing- HP and TQ fall, then slowly recover by the end of the run. I'd like to know if the knock sensors have any activity in that RPM range, how much ignition advance it's running, and what the AFR ratio is (preferably with a real wide-band sensor, like an Innovate LM-1)”

I sent Cory the “ignition angle” info. (Notice on later dyno sheets that the ECU learns run after run and this dip REALLY flattens out)

Regarding AFR, I told him that unfortunately we didn’t get any AFR data as I had told one dyno operator that we wanted it but then he got called to do something else and I forgot to tell the 2nd dyno operator we wanted AFR until I realized at the end we hadn’t done it. (Read down for later AFR data)

“Air mass values look DEAD on- can't get any better than that. Boost pressure is looking good- 6-6.5 PSI is what I'd expect to see on the 5.5 engine at sea level.”

Good feedback, glad to hear this!

“Power and TQ don't look bad at all for a mustang dyno… In my experience, Mustang dyno's read anywhere from 30-40 HP lower than a dynojet, so if that's the case, he's making roughly 400-410 WHP on a dynojet, which is exactly what it should do with SC and ECU. I think if the car was revving to redline, you'd maybe see another 10 HP or so. The fact that it's making more power than the last dyno he did on a dynojet tells me there's probably nothing wrong with the car, and whoever did the last dyno either didn't know what they were doing, or dyno conditions, fans, etc. were nowhere near adequate.”

Good news on being right where it should be on a Dynojet.

Again, we can only assume that CarbConn’s numbers were low due to them not dynoing in 4th gear and not having proper fans (PDXT has 4 squirrel cage blowers on a rollable stand to provide proper cooling). As we’ve said before, if the car isn’t cooled properly the numbers will be low.

So, Cory gave us some things to triple check (things we already had checked last time before the car left);

--“The vacuum/pressure switch that triggers the DC to DC inverter--the switch should activate the inverter at 4 PSI.”

We checked and it’s set to 4psi.

--“Fuel pressure; Basically, when no vacuum is applied to the fuel regulator (atmospheric pressure only), the fuel pressure needs to be 70-72 PSI.”

Jon checked and somehow even though the lock nut was still tight, pressure had drifted from the 72psi it was set at when it left here last, to 65psi. So, we set it back to 72psi where Cory wanted it.

--“Intercooler bled properly?”;

Bled properly, no air.

--“Intercooler pump triggering and staying on”;

Checked and good.

-“Air mass sensor values”;

Dead on at 4.76-4.77v and 1004-1016 kg/h under WOT.

After we sent the above info to Cory, his response was;

“Sounds like this car is well-sorted and everything seems to be set perfectly.”

Since we didn’t have any AFR data from yesterday, he wanted us to take it back to PDXT with the fuel pressure now set to 72psi, dyno it again and get AFR info for him.

I did that earlier today. Here’s the figures (I can fax them to you if you can give me your fax number);

Run #1
356whp
391wtq
5.9psi
AFR ~11:1

Run#2
362whp
396wtq
6.1psi

Run #3
366whp
398wtq
6.0psi

Run #4
367whp
400wtq
5.9psi

Run #5
367whp
397wtq
5.9psi

Run #6
364whp
400wtq
5.8psi

His comments today;

“The car seems perfectly fine to me based on the data you've provided. maybe a TINY bit rich, but that's how I like it, just for safety reasons. I think if the car could be rev'd to redline and the dyno wasn't speed limited, we'd see 380-390 on the Mustang, no problem.

Those are my thoughts…I don't see any reason to suspect anything is really wrong with the car.

I'm MORE than happy to talk to [Peter]. He has my contact info, and I'm here if he wants to talk.”

So, according to the dyno data, Cory believes everything looks correct with the car and that the ~10whp we’re missing (to bring it up to a “typical Mustang standard” of 380whp---assuming PDXT’s dyno doesn’t read low) is due to the dyno test having to be stopped at ~5500rpm vs the 6400rpm Cory would like to see the test run to (if there was no 150mph max).

We’re going to try to get ahold of a stock W210 E55 and baseline it at PDXT so we all have a baseline number for comparison purposes.

We’re sending your ECU into Kleemann today so their programmer can get the redline lowered back to stock so that you don’t have the transmission cutout when you hit redline. We’re supposed to have the ECU back here Thursday.

So, from our checklist;

Find out why it not making ~510hp like Kleemann claimed. Put on PDXT's dyno.
-Done.

Space out idler pulley so belt won't slip off at high speed.
-Done.

Low speed surge (@ 5-10 mph car jurk back and forth)
-We’re taking the E55 to our master tech friend at Rasmussen Mercedes up the street on Thursday (as long as the ECU arrives in time—see below) so they can perform the adaptation with their STAR machine as we’re unable to get it adapted with our Autologic.

Transmission goes into neutral when car hit redline and stay in neutral until car is restarted.
-ECU en route back to Kleemann for this. It should be back here this Thursday.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Jeremy Williams

Matrix Integrated Inc.
4000 SW Macadam Ave
Portland, OR 97239
503.443.1141 Phone
503.443.1142 Fax
888.249.0013 Orders
www.matrixintegrated.cc
jeremy@matrixintegrated.cc

Note: Please include all previous correspondence with your reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matrix Integrated [mailto:sales@matrixintegrated.cc]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 5:20 PM
To: 'EXT-Nguyen, Peter T'
Subject: RE: E55 update

Hi Peter,

Ok, thanks for the info. Unfortunately we would have liked to have seen the piping (in pic att’d) and bit straighter.

I just returned from PDXT. In 4th gear, your E55 made;

Run #3
6.0psi
371whp
399wtq

Run #4 (runs #1 and #2 the tranny shifted down)
6.1psi
371whp
404wtq

I’ve sent Cory at Kleemann the dyno sheets as well as some real-time data from the vehicle. I’ll let you know what he says.

Best regards,

Jeremy Williams

Matrix Integrated Inc.

4000 SW Macadam Ave

Portland, OR 97239

503.443.1141 Phone

503.443.1142 Fax

888.249.0013 Orders

www.matrixintegrated.cc

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.........now that the W211 E55's are $30K, it definitely makes more financial sense to buy one than try to mode a W210 E55 by adding a Kleemann s/c. However there is a lot about this business of dumping money into cars that cannot be expained by just sheer finances. It is a disease. I am as afflicted as the next guy and currently not seeking treatment.

Ted
I agree with Ted I could of gotten a E63 last year but as a speed junky I would be bored to death if i don't spent money on mod. Some people hobbie are fishing & golf I like fast car & mod. It Seen like everyone is catching this disease now a day. We just can't leave the car alone with out adding some sort of mod to make it fast.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I'm just to upset to reply..Best run at PDX tuning is 367whp 400wtq @ 5.9psi
Jeff best run was 385whp and 411wtq and his is a stage 3! something is freaking wrong here!! Kleemann advertise 510bhp with stage 2 and .5 bar. My number was no where near that. Look at Jeff stage 3 number..Cory from Kleemann said this is normal and this is what they expected the stage 2 to make. This is not normal this is a joke!!

I feel a little better that Jeff's stage 3 only make 18 more whp than mine. If I were Jeff I would be screening my head off!

you guys can ready the e-mails and tell me if you were me you would be happy right now..

Hey Peter,

Did you receive my email yesterday?

Here were Cory at Kleemann’s comments on yesterdays dyno runs;

“I notice is the car is 1000 RPM short of redline- not sure why but it should be revving to 6400 RPM- not 5500.”
I explained to him that the Mustang dyno has a 150mph top speed. Since we’re dynoing in 4th gear, we saw on the first test runs yesterday that if the car was run to redline, the speed would exceed 150mph and it wouldn’t complete the dyno run/test(dyno reads STOP). So, PDXT had to drop the rpm down so that the test was run to stay under the 150mph max.

“At roughly 5000 RPM, it looks like the car is pulling timing- HP and TQ fall, then slowly recover by the end of the run. I'd like to know if the knock sensors have any activity in that RPM range, how much ignition advance it's running, and what the AFR ratio is (preferably with a real wide-band sensor, like an Innovate LM-1)”
I sent Cory the “ignition angle” info. (Notice on later dyno sheets that the ECU learns run after run and this dip REALLY flattens out)
Regarding AFR, I told him that unfortunately we didn’t get any AFR data as I had told one dyno operator that we wanted it but then he got called to do something else and I forgot to tell the 2nd dyno operator we wanted AFR until I realized at the end we hadn’t done it. (Read down for later AFR data)

“Air mass values look DEAD on- can't get any better than that. Boost pressure is looking good- 6-6.5 PSI is what I'd expect to see on the 5.5 engine at sea level.”
Good feedback, glad to hear this!

“Power and TQ don't look bad at all for a mustang dyno… In my experience, Mustang dyno's read anywhere from 30-40 HP lower than a dynojet, so if that's the case, he's making roughly 400-410 WHP on a dynojet, which is exactly what it should do with SC and ECU. I think if the car was revving to redline, you'd maybe see another 10 HP or so. The fact that it's making more power than the last dyno he did on a dynojet tells me there's probably nothing wrong with the car, and whoever did the last dyno either didn't know what they were doing, or dyno conditions, fans, etc. were nowhere near adequate.”
Good news on being right where it should be on a Dynojet.

Again, we can only assume that CarbConn’s numbers were low due to them not dynoing in 4th gear and not having proper fans (PDXT has 4 squirrel cage blowers on a rollable stand to provide proper cooling). As we’ve said before, if the car isn’t cooled properly the numbers will be low.

So, Cory gave us some things to triple check (things we already had checked last time before the car left);

--“The vacuum/pressure switch that triggers the DC to DC inverter--the switch should activate the inverter at 4 PSI.”

We checked and it’s set to 4psi.

--“Fuel pressure; Basically, when no vacuum is applied to the fuel regulator (atmospheric pressure only), the fuel pressure needs to be 70-72 PSI.”
Jon checked and somehow even though the lock nut was still tight, pressure had drifted from the 72psi it was set at when it left here last, to 65psi. So, we set it back to 72psi where Cory wanted it.

--“Intercooler bled properly?”;
Bled properly, no air.

--“Intercooler pump triggering and staying on”;
Checked and good.

-“Air mass sensor values”;
Dead on at 4.76-4.77v and 1004-1016 kg/h under WOT.

After we sent the above info to Cory, his response was;

“Sounds like this car is well-sorted and everything seems to be set perfectly.”

Since we didn’t have any AFR data from yesterday, he wanted us to take it back to PDXT with the fuel pressure now set to 72psi, dyno it again and get AFR info for him.

I did that earlier today. Here’s the figures (I can fax them to you if you can give me your fax number);

Run #1
356whp
391wtq
5.9psi

Run#2
362whp
396wtq
6.1psi

Run #3
366whp
398wtq
6.0psi

Run #4
367whp
400wtq
5.9psi

Run #5
367whp
397wtq
5.9psi

Run #6
364whp
400wtq
5.8psi

His comments today;

“The car seems perfectly fine to me based on the data you've provided. maybe a TINY bit rich, but that's how I like it, just for safety reasons. I think if the car could be rev'd to redline and the dyno wasn't speed limited, we'd see 380-390 on the Mustang, no problem.

Those are my thoughts…I don't see any reason to suspect anything is really wrong with the car.

I'm MORE than happy to talk to [Peter]. He has my contact info, and I'm here if he wants to talk.”

So, according to the dyno data, Cory believes everything looks correct with the car and that the ~10whp we’re missing (to bring it up to a “typical Mustang standard” of 380whp---assuming PDXT’s dyno doesn’t read low) is due to the dyno test having to be stopped at ~5500rpm vs the 6400rpm Cory would like to see the test run to (if there was no 150mph max).

We’re going to try to get ahold of a stock W210 E55 and baseline it at PDXT so we all have a baseline number for comparison purposes.

We’re sending your ECU into Kleemann today so their programmer can get the redline lowered back to stock so that you don’t have the transmission cutout when you hit redline. We’re supposed to have the ECU back here Thursday.

So, from our checklist;

Find out why it not making ~510hp like Kleemann claimed. Put on PDXT's dyno.
-Done.

Space out idler pulley so belt won't slip off at high speed.
-Done.

Low speed surge (@ 5-10 mph car jurk back and forth)
-We’re taking the E55 to our master tech friend at Rasmussen Mercedes up the street on Thursday (as long as the ECU arrives in time—see below) so they can perform the adaptation with their STAR machine as we’re unable to get it adapted with our Autologic.

Transmission goes into neutral when car hit redline and stay in neutral until car is restarted.
-ECU en route back to Kleemann for this. It should be back here this Thursday.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Jeremy Williams
Matrix Integrated Inc.
4000 SW Macadam Ave
Portland, OR 97239
503.443.1141 Phone
503.443.1142 Fax
888.249.0013 Orders
www.matrixintegrated.cc
Note: Please include all previous correspondence with your reply.

Hey Peter,

Remember that Jeff's was dynoed in 3rd gear, not 4th (1:1 ratio) as we've dynoed yours in. Dyno's in 3rd gear are not accurate numbers--they're lower.

Your email response to our email above;

"Jeremy...

367whp is not acceptable!...I don't care if I have to take it to all the dyno shop in WA & OR area. If it not making at least 400whp than Kleemann is lying about the performance number and taking advantage of there S/C customer.

Kleemann can't just tell me that is normal, they seen the number you sent them. Ask yourself if this is normal, you are in the tuning business you should know better. Something is not right here. Kleemann shouldn't advertise something they can't deliver! I don't care if I have to go to Kleemann in CO myself and let them dyno it on their dyno meter, I won't be satisfy until I see 510bhp like they advertised.

Peter"

Our response;

"Hi Peter,

We’re trying to get a stock W210 E55 dynoed at PDXT today so we all have an idea what a stock W210 E55 makes. Once we know this, we can look at the delta (difference from stock to Kleemann stg2) as this is the ONLY relevant and important figure.

It does not really matter if a modified E55 makes 350whp or 450whp or 600whp---those figures are all irrelevant without knowing what a stock E55 does on the SAME dyno. The difference (delta) between stock whp and modified whp is the ONLY figure to go by as all dynos read differently (FAME’s Mustang to PDXT’s Mustang to CarbConn’s Dynojet) but the same dyno will read consistent to itself.

This is why there was no reason for you to dyno at FAME or dyno on the 3rd dyno UNLESS you also dynoed a stock E55 on the same dyno to see the DELTA. As well, it’d be worthless to dyno at every dyno shop in OR, WA, or CO unless you brought a stock E55 to dyno as well on that same dyno.

Does this make sense?

CarbConn’s dyno figures seem to be erroneous (for a “typical” Dynojet) as they didn’t dyno in 4th gear and their single fan probably didn’t cool the car enough, therefore resulting in low figures.

I’ll let you know what we see for dyno figures with a stock W210 E55.

Best regards,
Jeremy Williams
Matrix Integrated"

Now keep in mind that it's still not completely accurate to compare your stg2 E55 to a stock E55 as the dynos aren't done on the same day, and the cars aren't the same--your E55's engine could be a bit stronger than the stock E55's engine or vice versa, the stock E55 could have a bad MAF or be chipped--it's all speculation.

This is why it's only really completely accurate to dyno your car before and after on the same dyno in 4th gear with proper cooling(fans). Otherwise it's like comparing Fuji apples to Granny Smith apples; yeah, they're both apples, but they're really not the same.

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-24-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dyno authority run the same number as PDX'T number. I'm sure these dyno tec know what they are doing. Now Kleemann telling me that 367whp is about what I should expected from a Stage 2 on a Mustang dyno.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Mustang dyno reading is already low and they are more acurate than dynojet.

Ok than, so you can assume everyone out there that dyno their car should deduct 30-40WHP! from their run to get the correct reading. We are talking about 30-40 wheel horsepower here.

I want to know how Kleemann come up with their number. I'm headed back to Kansas in July, Kleemann USA in Colorado Spring is on the way home. I plan to ship my car home but now is a good time to stop by and let them show me how they come up with their number. If they can't show me a ~400whp number than they are full of sh*t and I'm going to sue them big time.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Dyno authority run the same number as PDX'T number. I'm sure these dyno tec know what they are doing. Now Kleemann telling me that 367whp is about what I should expected from a Stage 2 on a Mustang dyno.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Mustang dyno reading is already low and they are more acurate than dynojet.

Ok than, so you can assume everyone out there that dyno their car should deduct 30-40WHP! from their run to get the correct reading. We are talking about 30-40 wheel horsepower here.

I want to know how Kleemann come up with their number. I'm headed back to Kansas in July, Kleemann USA in Colorado Spring is on the way home. I plan to ship my car home but now is a good time to stop by and let them show me how they come up with their number. If they can't show me a ~400whp number than they are full of sh*t and I'm going to sue them big time.

Actually your numbers from FAME(Dyno Authority) were 362whp/434wtq(really high tq figure for some reason) from the dyno sheet you faxed to us. You said they dynoed in 3rd gear as well, which is why as you said "boost drop off to 4.5 psi @ 5000 rpm." There wasn't enough load in 3rd gear to sustain boost---this is another reason dyno tests should be done in 4th gear.

As you can see above regarding the numbers from PDXT's dyno, Cory at Kleemann mentioned "Power and TQ don't look bad at all for a mustang dyno… In my experience, Mustang dyno's read anywhere from 30-40 [W]HP lower than a dynojet, so if that's the case, he's making roughly 400-410 WHP on a dynojet, which is exactly what it should do with SC and ECU. I think if the car was revving to redline, you'd maybe see another 10 [W]HP or so. The fact that it's making more power than the last dyno he did on a dynojet tells me there's probably nothing wrong with the car, and whoever did the last dyno [CarbConn] either didn't know what they were doing, or dyno conditions, fans, etc. were nowhere near adequate...I think if the car could be rev'd to redline and the dyno wasn't speed limited, we'd see 380-390 on the Mustang, no problem."
367whp + ~10whp if the car could have been run to redline in 4th without the dyno shutting down (over 150mph max speed) = ~380'ish whp.

Peter, unfortunately you've been miseducated; a dyno is ONLY ACCURATE TO ITSELF. A "typical" Mustang is no more accurate compared to a "typical" Dynojet or a "typical" Maha or "typical" Dyno Dynamics or "typical" Dynapack. To be completely accurate, you CANNOT compare dyno figures from a Dynojet to a Mustang, or even one Mustang to another Mustang. As I stated above, a dyno is only consistent to itself USING/DYNOING THE SAME CAR (it's still inaccurate to compare one Mercedes and another Mercedes on the same dyno as it's not the same car---one engine could be stronger than another, one car could be running better than another, etc). Cory at Kleemann is only broadly comparing what you've done on a Mustang or Dynojet to what he (in tuning these cars for the past 8+yrs) has "typically" seen for dyno numbers on Mustang's and Dynojet's, as many dyno shops won't have a baseline on a stock car to use for comparison purposes.

Kleemann has come up with their estimated power figures on their own dyno.
From Kleemann's FAQ page; http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/faq
"Testing a vehicle on a dynamometer is a science that most workshops do not devote enough resources to. Ambient weather conditions, fuel quality and the general state of maintenance of any one car can greatly affect a dynamometer reading. On the open road a drivers skill, quality of tire compound, road friction and hundreds of other variables can lead to better or worse performance figures than quoted. All the figures KLEEMANN uses are derived in our in house dynamometer test cell where atmospheric conditions are precisely controlled and monitored. The dynamometer cell at KLEEMANN uses state of the art equipment that has been certified by the Danish department of weights and measures. KLEEMANN also uses performance figures from independent automobile testing laboratories and automotive publications. While the stated performance figures have been documented and achieved they are by no means guaranteed."

Due to a flat(screw in the) tire on this stock E55, it looks like we'll be baselining it at PDXT tomorrow.

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-24-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 amg e55
get 'er runnin' and throw it on the track/gtech and see what the mph is... this is the only true test you can find. mph is hp. dyno numbers really don't mean squat.... huge dyno number and a slow car. whopteedoo.. low number and fast as sh@t.. i'l take that any day.

mustang dyno operation is fairly complex and numbers can vary widely just from adjusting dyno parameters. my buddy had one and i witnessed this on a number of occasions.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by enzo ferrari
get 'er runnin' and throw it on the track/gtech and see what the mph is... this is the only true test you can find. mph is hp. dyno numbers really don't mean squat.... huge dyno number and a slow car. whopteedoo.. low number and fast as sh@t.. i'l take that any day.

mustang dyno operation is fairly complex and numbers can vary widely just from adjusting dyno parameters. my buddy had one and i witnessed this on a number of occasions.

Yes, Cory at Kleemann mentioned that 1/4 mile times would be good to know. However, this is up to Peter to do on his own, not us for him.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 amg e55
i stress MPH in the qtr. mile run.

too many things left to chance on the ET. traction mainly

stock 2000 or so e55 should run 99-102 or so, at the track.. later 03 or so should be at least 10 mph or so faster. if he has 500 ponies, he should at least trap at 112-114 or so. elevation/temp will affect this so keep it in mind.

oh yeah, "trap speed" is an average of the speed of the last 60 feet of track. not actual speed. take this into acount as well.

peter, don't sweat the dyno numbers. in the end, if it runs like a 500 hp car, it's all good.

Last edited by enzo ferrari; 04-23-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 amg e55
another thing, advertised hp/tq numbers for mods usually don't show the full picture..

was 500 hp just a peak hp number for a very limited rpm range? what is important in my opinion is the power curve.. how much how soon and how long will it last. peak hp looks cool on paper but is not as important as a nice wide tq/power increase.

advertised hp ratings and dyno printouts sound nice but they don't win at the track.

i'm off to get my tornado air insert...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM

2001 E55K

I'm not too worried, Peter. My dyno was in 3rd gear, not 4th gear. So our numbers are going to be a little different. Also you've got an '02 which has a couple more horses to start with.

I was more interested in my before and after, i.e. what did I gain? I gained 108 whp and I'm pretty happy with that. More than the number, it transformed my car into a beast. I will take it to the track when the weather gets better and then we'll see what I'm really putting down.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Kleemann SC Pulley - 65mm for Sale $300

I am selling my Kleemann SC 65mm pulley in brand new condition for $300 with free shipping. Makes over 12lbs of boost on a C55. Better suited for lower compression E55s.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
back in the day Kleemann used to say 510, 550 or whatever the number was as "power" number not bhp, or hp. i don't know when they changed the wording back to bhp, but it doesn't really matter because they do disclose...

Will an engine fitted with a KLEEMANN tuning solution always live up to the performance figures as promised by KLEEMANN?

Testing a vehicle on a dynamometer is a science that most workshops do not devote enough resources to. Ambient weather conditions, fuel quality and the general state of maintenance of any one car can greatly affect a dynamometer reading. On the open road a drivers skill, quality of tire compound, road friction and hundreds of other variables can lead to better or worse performance figures than quoted. All the figures KLEEMANN uses are derived in our in house dynamometer test cell where atmospheric conditions are precisely controlled and monitored. The dynamometer cell at KLEEMANN uses state of the art equipment that has been certified by the Danish department of weights and measures. KLEEMANN also uses performance figures from independent automobile testing laboratories and automotive publications. While the stated performance figures have been documented and achieved they are by no means guaranteed.
i understand you could be upset because of the setbacks, but you haven't really gotten a chance to drive this car (post charger) and base everything on dyno numbers. i don't know i'd rather see real world street/track numbers than dyno numbers. (i'm not a dyno person that's for sure)
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jeff.bisonett
I'm not too worried, Peter. My dyno was in 3rd gear, not 4th gear. So our numbers are going to be a little different. Also you've got an '02 which has a couple more horses to start with.

I was more interested in my before and after, i.e. what did I gain? I gained 108 whp and I'm pretty happy with that. More than the number, it transformed my car into a beast. I will take it to the track when the weather gets better and then we'll see what I'm really putting down.

Jeff
Unfortunately the '02's don't have any more power..all W210 E55's are rated at the same (349 or 355 depending where you look) bhp.

I'd be interested to see what you lay down at Woodburn Jeff.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM

'03 E55 AMG
We wanted to give everyone an update/synopsis on Peter's Kleemann stg2 E55.

Since we couldn't use the '01 E55 to get a hypothetical baseline number. we got ahold of an '01 CL55 and baselined it in 4th gear at PDXT; 296whp/327wtq. Now I say "hypothetical baseline" as this isn't Peter's car stock and no one knows if this CL55's engine is stronger (or weaker) than Peter's, but at least it gives us all an "idea" of what a stock '55 does on PDXT's dyno in 4th gear.

We got the ECU back from Kleemann Thursday. They lowered the redline back down to stock so there should be no more hit-redline/tranny-goes-into-"safe-mode" issues (something Kleemann says is not abnormal during the first 500-1000 miles after an ECU disconnect; "...my old CLK430 had to bounce off the rev limiter in the 1-2 upshift many times before it "learned" (both the ECU and trans controller) where the rev-cut was.")

We decided to perform/force the L1/L2/L3 adaptation ourselves as all the dealer was going to do was drive around on the street for us. On Thursday we were able to get a few N1/N2/N3's in L1 and L3 to set (it’s a difficult process; driving in different gears at different rpms all while dragging the brakes to create enough load on the engine). Since Peter was flying out Sunday and needed his car back Saturday, I drove his E55 on the freeway eastbound Thursday night to try to get some blocks in L2 to set. I was able to get N1/N2/N3 in L2 to set so the adaptation finally read YES. Now that we had finally forced the ECU to adapt, it was running the most aggressive timing/fueling/throttle response maps it could. For those of you unaware, the ECU then regulates lambda under closed loop operation, where without at least the N1/L1 range learned, it would not lambda regulate. As well, as many of you know, the ECU is always learning particular driving styles; drive conservatively and it will eventually learn really timid throttle response and timing maps. Drive like Ricky Racer and the ECU will learn very aggressive timing and throttle maps—the car will indeed feel faster and make more power. Kleemann has seen cars pick up between “10 and 20 HP after all adapted ranges have been learned-it's not uncommon at all to see that.”
The low speed bucking from the ECU disconnect has definitely subsided and it will continue to as the ECU constantly learns more and more.

So, today after we changed the oil for Peter so he didn’t have to do it Saturday, I went out for a few more hours and tried to get the ECU to learn the most aggressive maps. Later I took Peter’s E55 back to PDXT and in 4th gear at 6.2psi we saw 381whp/394wtq…a 14whp gain over what we dynoed earlier in the week!

So, from our lowest dyno stg2 figures (356whp/391wtq at 5.9psi, AFR ~11:1) to our highest stg2 figures (381whp/394wtq at 6.2psi, AFR ~11:1), we saw a 25whp/4wtq gain. The car is now right about where Kleemann originally estimated it should be on a “typical” Mustang dyno (between 380-390whp), all while running a very safe fuel pressure of 72psi. Now, as Cory at Kleemann mentioned before, there’s potentially still a missing ~10whp due to the dyno having a 150mph max speed and therefore the dyno test ending at ~5500rpm vs the 6400rpm redline Cory would like to see the test end at. As well, we saw torque figures vary from 391wtq to 404wtq---this is all due to how early the dyno operator rolls into the throttle in 4th gear. Roll on too hard too fast and the tranny will shift down into 3rd spoiling the run.

We’d sincerely like to thank Peter for being patient with us this week while we took care of all of his concerns. It was a true pleasure to make it right for you Peter!!
Thank you also to Cory at Kleemann for being incredibly quick with service and support—you guys continue to impress.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best regards,
Jeremy
Matrix Integrated

Last edited by jeremyw; 04-25-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
We wanted to give everyone an update/synopsis on Peter's Kleemann stg2 E55.

Since we couldn't use the '01 E55 to get a hypothetical baseline number. we got ahold of an '01 CL55 and baselined it in 4th gear at PDXT; 296whp/327wtq. Now I say "hypothetical baseline" as this isn't Peter's car stock and no one knows if this CL55's engine is stronger (or weaker) than Peter's, but at least it gives us all an "idea" of what a stock '55 does on PDXT's dyno in 4th gear.

We got the ECU back from Kleemann Thursday. They lowered the redline back down to stock so there should be no more hit-redline/tranny-goes-into-"safe-mode" issues (something Kleemann says is not abnormal during the first 500-1000 miles after an ECU disconnect; "...my old CLK430 had to bounce off the rev limiter in the 1-2 upshift many times before it "learned" (both the ECU and trans controller) where the rev-cut was.")

We decided to perform/force the L1/L2/L3 adaptation ourselves as all the dealer was going to do was drive around on the street for us. On Thursday we were able to get a few N1/N2/N3's in L1 and L3 to set (it’s a difficult process; driving in different gears at different rpms all while dragging the brakes to create enough load on the engine). Since Peter was flying out Sunday and needed his car back Saturday, I drove his E55 on the freeway eastbound Thursday night to try to get some blocks in L2 to set. I was able to get N1/N2/N3 in L2 to set so the adaptation finally read YES. Now that we had finally forced the ECU to adapt, it was running the most aggressive timing/fueling/throttle response maps it could. For those of you unaware, the ECU then regulates lambda under closed loop operation, where without at least the N1/L1 range learned, it would not lambda regulate. As well, as many of you know, the ECU is always learning particular driving styles; drive conservatively and it will eventually learn really timid throttle response and timing maps. Drive like Ricky Racer and the ECU will learn very aggressive timing and throttle maps—the car will indeed feel faster and make more power. Kleemann has seen cars pick up between “10 and 20 HP after all adapted ranges have been learned-it's not uncommon at all to see that.”
The low speed bucking from the ECU disconnect has definitely subsided and it will continue to as the ECU constantly learns more and more.

So, today after we changed the oil for Peter so he didn’t have to do it Saturday, I went out for a few more hours and tried to get the ECU to learn the most aggressive maps. Later I took Peter’s E55 back to PDXT and in 4th gear at 6.2psi we saw 381whp/394wtq…a 14whp gain over what we dynoed earlier in the week!

So, from our lowest dyno stg2 figures (356whp/391wtq at 5.9psi, AFR ~11:1) to our highest stg2 figures (381whp/394wtq at 6.2psi, AFR ~11:1), we saw a 25whp/4wtq gain. The car is now right about where Kleemann originally estimated it should be on a “typical” Mustang dyno (between 380-390whp), all while running a very safe fuel pressure of 72psi. Now, as Cory at Kleemann mentioned before, there’s potentially still a missing ~10whp due to the dyno having a 150mph max speed and therefore the dyno test ending at ~5500rpm vs the 6400rpm redline Cory would like to see the test end at. As well, we saw torque figures vary from 391wtq to 404wtq---this is all due to how early the dyno operator rolls into the throttle in 4th gear. Roll on too hard too fast and the tranny will shift down into 3rd spoiling the run.

We’d sincerely like to thank Peter for being patient with us this week while we took care of all of his concerns. It was a true pleasure to make it right for you Peter!!
Thank you also to Cory at Kleemann for being incredibly quick with service and support—you guys continue to impress.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best regards,
Jeremy
Matrix Integrated

............I was one of your biggest critics. Let me be the first to congratulate you for fixing Peter's car. I am sure you have all learned a lot. Like I said earlier:

Originally posted 04/04/08
As it stands now about 380 or so HP to the wheels is probably what one should reasonably expect from a Kleemann s/c
. This is without headers, camshafts, smaller s/c pulley and a more money.

Ted
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............I was one of your biggest critics. Let me be the first to congratulate you for fixing Peter's car. I am sure you have all learned a lot. Like I said earlier:

Originally posted 04/04/08
. This is without headers, camshafts, smaller s/c pulley and a more money.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes, yes you were.
Thank you kindly for the congratulations Ted--we sincerely appreciate it.
There's no doubt we all learned some things along the way; things that will make us even better in the future. We're just glad we were able to get Peter's E55 sorted and make it right.

You and Cory at Kleemann were spot on with your power numbers.

Have a great day.

Best,
Jeremy
Old 06-11-2008, 05:09 PM

2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
VERY interesting (old) thread sinc I might go with a S/C on my E55 next year together with (exhaust,headers,ECU) it ought to deliver over 400 RWHP.

But I have a question I'd like to have answered regarding the pressure that Kleemann claims will be at 0,5 bar, if I understand it correct Peter S/C in his E55 "only" delivered 6,2 Psi = 0,42 BAR. So if I buy a S/C from Kleemann it won't make the 7,25 Psi or 0,5 bar that Kleemann states? It sure ought to add a few more WHP one would think compared to the 381 Rwhp that Peters E55 made
Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 PM

'03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ABALONE
VERY interesting (old) thread sinc I might go with a S/C on my E55 next year together with (exhaust,headers,ECU) it ought to deliver over 400 RWHP.

But I have a question I'd like to have answered regarding the pressure that Kleemann claims will be at 0,5 bar, if I understand it correct Peter S/C in his E55 "only" delivered 6,2 Psi = 0,42 BAR. So if I buy a S/C from Kleemann it won't make the 7,25 Psi or 0,5 bar that Kleemann states? It sure ought to add a few more WHP one would think compared to the 381 Rwhp that Peters E55 made
See the last few posts of this thread;

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...53#post2745253
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 AM

See the last few posts of this thread;

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...53#post2745253
OK, so in other words the stated HP on Kleemanns site on the different stages should also be a bit lower when they update the site? (Not updated yet )
380-390 Rwhp is not 510 HP in the engine, more like a 470-480

Or am I missing something?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Esh

E55
Sounds like one big marketing game by the industry to me. In order to advertise 510 hp, they would have to possess some way of proving it whether mathematical formula or otherwise. How do you think the darn Tornado air tube thing stays in business despite its very proven fact that it doesn't work the way it claims on the box. Or the turbonator. Not suggesting Kleeman is like the Turbonator, but I am suggesting that it is legal and that EVERYONE does it in some form or another. OF COURSE that Kirby door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman exaggerates a little every now and then, how else would he sell a $1500 vacuum door-to-door so he can go on that "vacation" for selling only one more vacuum. Click that pen, write up that order, someone just got suckered into a vacuum cleaner.

Think about it though. If Kleeman came out and said it would produce 380-390 RWHP, it wouldn't sound as good as the 510 hp some other company is still claiming, even though they could be the same thing measured differently. Simply put, it's like a d*** measuring contest, everyone always puts down the bigger number no matter how it is they arrived at that number.

I did not doubt that Matrix would resolve this issue. I have personally met Jeremy and had the PPI on my car performed there. I was treated very well and Jeremy even went out of his way to help me with the decision to buy. He has not pressured me one bit in regards to my choice of repair facilities, and to me that speaks a lot for character. Most shops I've been to do a little thing called "checking up on you" when they're really just targeted advertisements geared towards people they don't know.

While I can't say much about the free JuicyJuice in the fridge, I can say that I received top notch service. I've spent less than 2 hours and $100 at Matrix and Jeremy still remembers the interaction, even though he has clients every day dropping $1k or more.

Last edited by Esh; 06-12-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:32 AM

'03 E55 AMG
Kleemann figures a 21% drivetrain loss. They state that a W210 E55 K2 kit should do about 400-410whp (with wtq around the same if not more) on a Dynojet (again, we're talking averages here as all Dynojet dynos read a bit differently from each other). So, 400whp / 0.79 = 506bhp. 410whp / 0.79 = 519bhp. Remember that typically Mustang dynos read lower than Dynojets.

Keep in mind that fuel across the country affects the real world numbers seen as well. For example, here in OR we have 91oct but there is no state agency which regulates fuel quality so who knows if we're really getting 91oct or what.

Also keep in mind what's listed in the FAQ of Kleemann's site as well;
"Testing a vehicle on a dynamometer is a science that most workshops do not devote enough resources to. Ambient weather conditions, fuel quality and the general state of maintenance of any one car can greatly affect a dynamometer reading. On the open road a drivers skill, quality of tire compound, road friction and hundreds of other variables can lead to better or worse performance figures than quoted. All the figures KLEEMANN uses are derived in our in house dynamometer test cell where atmospheric conditions are precisely controlled and monitored. The dynamometer cell at KLEEMANN uses state of the art equipment that has been certified by the Danish department of weights and measures. KLEEMANN also uses performance figures from independent automobile testing laboratories and automotive publications. While the stated performance figures have been documented and achieved they are by no means guaranteed."

Originally Posted by Esh
Sounds like one big marketing game by the industry to me. In order to advertise 510 hp, they would have to possess some way of proving it whether mathematical formula or otherwise. How do you think the darn Tornado air tube thing stays in business despite its very proven fact that it doesn't work the way it claims on the box. Or the turbonator. Not suggesting Kleeman is like the Turbonator, but I am suggesting that it is legal and that EVERYONE does it in some form or another. OF COURSE that Kirby door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman exaggerates a little every now and then, how else would he sell a $1500 vacuum door-to-door so he can go on that "vacation" for selling only one more vacuum. Click that pen, write up that order, someone just got suckered into a vacuum cleaner.

Think about it though. If Kleeman came out and said it would produce 380-390 RWHP, it wouldn't sound as good as the 510 hp some other company is still claiming, even though they could be the same thing measured differently. Simply put, it's like a d*** measuring contest, everyone always puts down the bigger number no matter how it is they arrived at that number.

I did not doubt that Matrix would resolve this issue. I have personally met Jeremy and had the PPI on my car performed there. I was treated very well and Jeremy even went out of his way to help me with the decision to buy. He has not pressured me one bit in regards to my choice of repair facilities, and to me that speaks a lot for character. Most shops I've been to do a little thing called "checking up on you" when they're really just targeted advertisements geared towards people they don't know.

While I can't say much about the free JuicyJuice in the fridge, I can say that I received top notch service. I've spent less than 2 hours and $100 at Matrix and Jeremy still remembers the interaction, even though he has clients every day dropping $1k or more.
Thanks very much for the kind words Ben. We truly appreciate them.
I hope you're still enjoying your new W210 E55!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Ok thanks Jeremy for you thoughts on this

Denmark as well as where I live here in Sweden have 95,98 and 99 octane fuel at the stations. So the stated 510 in the engine maybe was with 98 octane fuel

And Jeremy, how much can you take out of the W210 E55 engine before it gets unreliable, if you lets say have a Kleemann stage 3 and then change the injectors and raise the pressure a bit up to 0,6-0,7 ?? Ought to be over 600 HP in the engine right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need HELP diagnose power lost from Kleemann S/C