A little advice needed....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes E55 AMG W210
Unhappy A little advice needed....

OK, I've had my '00 E55 for around 2 months now. I've had my fair share of performance cars but have had trouble adjusting to this one.

And now I've worked out why...

There is a definate delay between my application of the throttle and response from the engine. This makes the car difficult to drive smoothly, the delay often dumping power to the rear wheels causing the traction control to kick in.

This in turn has also created a lack of confidence especially through fast bends etc.

Is this a well known fault? Has anybody heard of this before? How can I rectify this? Chip?

I know that I have a fantastic car hiding behind this 'glitch' but I'm struggling to find it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DC
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by E55DC
OK, I've had my '00 E55 for around 2 months now. I've had my fair share of performance cars but have had trouble adjusting to this one.

There is a definate delay between my application of the throttle and response from the engine. This makes the car difficult to drive smoothly, the delay often dumping power to the rear wheels causing the traction control to kick in.

This in turn has also created a lack of confidence especially through fast bends etc.

Is this a well known fault? Has anybody heard of this before? How can I rectify this? Chip?

I know that I have a fantastic car hiding behind this 'glitch' but I'm struggling to find it!

DC
Hello and welcome to the group and congrats on your new car!
Assuming that the Engine and tranny are all running fine, the slight delay is typical with these cars , and actually several other Benzes I have owned.

1- If what you are referring to as delay, is actually expecting the car to downshift ( Passing cars ) faster , you might want to reprogram the Transmission, as it is adaptive and probably running on what people refer to as " Granny Mode ! Turn ignition on ( dont start the car ) , floor the gas pedal and hold it for 5 seconds, turn ignition off, then release your foot of the pedal five seconds later/ wait two minutes, then the drive the car hard for couple of miles with heavy downshifting via pedal, tranny will reset.

2- Best throttle response : Sprint Booster AMG version ( best $260 spent on the car.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Max
Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s

DC
Did you try it with the traction control off (yellow triangle on all the time)?
If you are depressing the gas petal fast and hard enough for the traction control to cut power that is not a delay that is called wheelspinn.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the quick response Max.

I keep the gearbox in 'S' mode and it seems to kicks down OK. The delay is more noticeable when pulling away, especially if I'm turning at the time. If I need to get out of a turning quickly nothing happens then the power comes in as I'm mid-turn causing the inside wheel to try and spin and bring the traction control on.

I know this sounds like I'm just flooring it but I'm not. Even if I feather the throttle it still happens.

I think the previous owner drove the car quite conservatively but I do tend to have a heavy right foot. If the gearbox is 'adaptive' as you say, then maybe it will adjust to my driving style in time. I'll try what you recommnded and see how I get on.

Still, if anybody has any further advice, I'm all ears.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Yacht Master, it's not just my heavy right foot I'm positive.

Another point is that the actual accelrator pedal is quite stiff compared to other vehicles I've owned. It also seems a bit 'jerky' in it's action.

DC
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yacht Master, it's not just my heavy right foot I'm positive.

Another point is that the actual accelrator pedal is quite stiff compared to other vehicles I've owned. It also seems a bit 'jerky' in it's action.

DC
OK, these car are fly by wire, the gas pedal should be smooth as silk. You need to check the throttle pot it is located under the hood drivers side (US) to the rear by the fire wall. The pot will have a small cable going to it from the pedal. Have some one work the gas pedal and you will find it no problem. Now check the cable for broken or frayed strands these cables fetch up and bind right before failure, if it looks OK then move to the pot and operate it it through its full range of motion it should be smooth and the only resistance will be the return spring. These are the only mechanical items that will cause a stiff pedal. My guess is the cable is about to go.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks YM, will have a look at that also. Remember it's a W210 though, I didnt realise these were 'fly by wire'.

DC
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks YM, will have a look at that also. Remember it's a W210 though, I didnt realise these were 'fly by wire'.

DC
Yep W210 FBW, Now that I see you are in the UK, I am not sure what side of the car it will be on. But it is easy enough to find with a helper working the pedal.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
OK, these car are fly by wire, the gas pedal should be smooth as silk. You need to check the throttle pot it is located under the hood drivers side (US) to the rear by the fire wall. The pot will have a small cable going to it from the pedal. Have some one work the gas pedal and you will find it no problem. Now check the cable for broken or frayed strands these cables fetch up and bind right before failure, if it looks OK then move to the pot and operate it it through its full range of motion it should be smooth and the only resistance will be the return spring. These are the only mechanical items that will cause a stiff pedal. My guess is the cable is about to go.
Very Good point YM, I agree it should be silk smooth, but....if there was something wrong with his TB why would that have any effect on the ESP?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by maxwerks
Very Good point YM, I agree it should be silk smooth, but....if there was something wrong with his TB why would that have any effect on the ESP?
Max, the accelerator cable is not mechanically connected to the TB. The gas pedal is electric, and is just one of many inputs the ECU and TCU use to control the TB.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Max, the accelerator cable is not mechanically connected to the TB. The gas pedal is electric, and is just one of many inputs the ECU and TCU use to control the TB.
YM, That makes sense, thanks , learn something new everyday!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

maxwerks, where would I find the AMG Sprint Booster you talk about.

Also, is it a simple plug-in or does it require professional installation?

I'm in the UK remember so may have to have it sent across the pond.

DC
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Almost a Member!

No worries maxwerks, I've just found it a CKS Performance. I'm up there way next week and will try to book it in and have one fitted.

Thanks for all the info anyway. Will see if this sorts it out.

DC