Michelin PS2 Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Michelin PS2 Tire Question

So I'm due for my 6th set of tires since buying the car new in 2000! When I looked on TireRack, as I've always done in the past, I'm seeing both sizes (for front and rear) available in Michelin PS2 for multiple applications. One version for Mercedes, one for Vipor, one for BMW, etc. Aren't they the same tire?? Am I missing something here? Are they different shades of black? What gives? When I compare the specs side-by-side they're all the same.

The interesting thing about this, that prompted this thread, is that the Mercedes version of the 245 x 40 x 18 (fronts) is out of stock. But all of the other versions of the same size, same brand are in stock. Plus there are small price differences from one version to the next. One might want to ask: WHY?? Last time I bought tires (about 2 years ago) I don't recall such confusion.

Can anybody clarify what's going here?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Take a closer look and make sure that the PS2s for the BMWs are not run-flats. I have a set of PS2s on my CLK55 right now and they are great tires.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
they have different load ratings...... probably related to the weight of the car they are put on....

Originally Posted by Vrodman
So I'm due for my 6th set of tires since buying the car new in 2000! When I looked on TireRack, as I've always done in the past, I'm seeing both sizes (for front and rear) available in Michelin PS2 for multiple applications. One version for Mercedes, one for Vipor, one for BMW, etc. Aren't they the same tire?? Am I missing something here? Are they different shades of black? What gives? When I compare the specs side-by-side they're all the same.

The interesting thing about this, that prompted this thread, is that the Mercedes version of the 245 x 40 x 18 (fronts) is out of stock. But all of the other versions of the same size, same brand are in stock. Plus there are small price differences from one version to the next. One might want to ask: WHY?? Last time I bought tires (about 2 years ago) I don't recall such confusion.

Can anybody clarify what's going here?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Take a closer look and make sure that the PS2s for the BMWs are not run-flats. I have a set of PS2s on my CLK55 right now and they are great tires.
Yeah, I've only had either Pilot Sports or PS2 ever on the car. They are great tires even if they are$$$$$$$$$$$$. To answer your question, they are not run flats on the BMW version. As I mentioned all versions have exactly the same specs when compared side-by-side. With that in mind and the fact that they obviously don't have the Mercedes logo printed on them, the only difference I can think of, since they don't offer one, is different shade of black. I suppose they could be slightly tuned different, but that would be unlikely since all of the specs are exactly the same.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fikse
they have different load ratings...... probably related to the weight of the car they are put on....
Nope, both tires (BMW and Mercedes) are rated for max load of 1433 lbs.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 Tectite Gray
I called Tirerack regarding this and was told that Michelin manufactures that PS2 specifically for Mercedes-Benz. It has a few tweaks that MB specifies that Michelin must provide to meet the specs.
When talking to the rep. he asked if I would be interested in a tire that was new to the market and had tested #1 in a comparison to several other Max Performance Summer tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

I loved my Michelin's in the past but at half the price and being between jobs, I placed the order for the Sumitomo's. Overall very nice ride and handling. Certainly not a Michelin type performance buy I'd say 80% of what I'd expect from a PS2. Lots of positive reviews from BMW forums as well. I don't drive very hard (except the occasional stop light gran prix or highway on ramp!) so the compromise is not that big of a deal right now.

Just thought I'd share the information.

Max
Attached Thumbnails Michelin PS2 Tire Question-e55amg.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 Designo Silver; 2007 BMW 335 hardtop convertible and 2016 Audi SQ5
I have Sumitomos as well. Almost 10K on them and they still look knew. I like them better than the Michelin OEM tires for my driving style - Cruisen.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Yup, different versions for MB/BMW etc. BMW versions have a star on them, not sure about MB.