W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaargh!! I just can't decide whether to get an RS6, E55, or just a nice V8 car!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaargh!! I just can't decide whether to get an RS6, E55, or just a nice V8 car!!

Who wouldn't LOVE to have one of the super sedans, but every time I drive, I am driving from the house downtown or to the store, and how much fun is it to get from one stoplight to the next in 3.4 seconds? We don't have an autobahn here, and even the mountain roads are filled with slow drivers in minivans, so where would one be able to even drive one of these things as they are able to be driven?? I enjoy my wife's A6 Avant, so I can imagine the S6 Avant is utterly fantastic, too. I drove another E500 today, and that is one sweet car, even has better pickup (on paper) for 0-60 than the S6 (5.9 versus 6.5). I can afford to get the RS6 or E55 when they come out, but I'm just not sure I 'should' - it's frustrating to be driving less of a car than you could afford, but it's also frustrating to have a supercar that only goes up to 70mph and sits much of the time in rush hour traffic!

I'm so frustrated - don't know what to do! Don't know if I should just settle into one of the various, more widely available, V8 monsters out there or wait for a supercar. I could overpay for a 24-month lease, too, then see what these cars are like since they will have been out for a while and demand will likely have peetered out - who knows?

Any tips? Advice? Flames?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Personally, I know there's traffic and stoplights etc... but even then I like to accelerate to the next light, even if it is only for 3.4 seconds.
Also, I'm sure there are times on the freeway, or getting onto a freeway where you need to speed up quickly. All that power just seems to give me a slight rush. =)
So, obviously it's overkill, but it just depends on what you want. If you'd like to have the performance there in reserves, then get it. Otherwise, if you're not gonna use it and don't care, then just get a cheaper car and spend the extra money on something else.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

Just the looks of the E500, E55, kill's the Audi RS6. Drive in style and fast with MB.

Last edited by theine; 12-18-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by theine
Just the looks of the E-500 kill's the Audi RS6. Drive in style and fast with MB.
See, now you've got an SL55 on order - now there's a car that, unless you lived in Germany or near a track, you wouldn't be able to take to the limit and really see what it can do very often, if at all. The same engine as the huge S55 and big E55 in a small 2-seater - now that thing will fly, but when will you ever get to experience that? See my quandary?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

As you can see, I always owned fast cars, I love them and even if sometimes I'm limited by traffic, I know what I have and am capable of, and that gives me pleasure. Besides a little ego is gooood!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: Aaargh!! I just can't decide whether to get an RS6, E55, or just a nice V8 car!!

Originally posted by schvetkaaks
Who wouldn't LOVE to have one of the super sedans, but every time I drive, I am driving from the house downtown or to the store, and how much fun is it to get from one stoplight to the next in 3.4 seconds? We don't have an autobahn here, and even the mountain roads are filled with slow drivers in minivans, so where would one be able to even drive one of these things as they are able to be driven?? I enjoy my wife's A6 Avant, so I can imagine the S6 Avant is utterly fantastic, too. I drove another E500 today, and that is one sweet car, even has better pickup (on paper) for 0-60 than the S6 (5.9 versus 6.5). I can afford to get the RS6 or E55 when they come out, but I'm just not sure I 'should' - it's frustrating to be driving less of a car than you could afford, but it's also frustrating to have a supercar that only goes up to 70mph and sits much of the time in rush hour traffic!

I'm so frustrated - don't know what to do! Don't know if I should just settle into one of the various, more widely available, V8 monsters out there or wait for a supercar. I could overpay for a 24-month lease, too, then see what these cars are like since they will have been out for a while and demand will likely have peetered out - who knows?

Any tips? Advice? Flames?
I'll keep my opinion simple, get the Benz
Old 12-18-2002, 09:37 PM

Hey Ebrigham, how's the Maserati coupe?
I looked into buying one last winter, (but was fearful of service issues and possible downtime/expense since I'd be using it as a daily driver).
What a beautiful design.
I'm hoping any kinks will be minimal and that Maserati will be successful in the US.
Which transmission did you get?
Color combos?
Would you buy again?

Schvetkaaks, the SL55 is likely to be only marginally faster (if it is indeed faster at all...it was NOT quicker than the E55 in initial testing about 15 months ago) than the E55 due to its greater weight, offset by more favorable gear ratios. The difference should be under 0.2 sec's in favorable conditions.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:13 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Review

Originally posted by amg55
Hey Ebrigham, how's the Maserati coupe?
I have only had it for a couple of weeks, so it’s still in break in, but I will give some initial thoughts:

I am ecstatic. I almost feel like moving out to the ‘burbs just to be able to drive it every day! Overall, I think the car is a looker. The color I got is a darkish red (rosa bologna). Interior is black dash with beige seats. Piping is a darker shade. I also got the leather headliner which I highly recommend. For my height I have short legs and long arms, which fits the car perfectly, including the closely situated dead pedal. But if you have proportions that are more “normal”, you might be a little less comfortable. But hey, that’s Italian quirkiness for you.

I bought the cambiocorsa, it provides the same (or better) performance as the traditional 6-speed manual. I will admit, putting it in fully auto-mode is pretty clunky when going WOT, though not as bad as the car mags would have you believe. However, putting it in manual mode gives you nice, clean shifts. I also have the active suspension (Skyhook), which reduces body roll/dive/squat very nicely the 3700 curb weight notwithstanding. Putting the car in “sport” mode coordinates the shifter and suspension to provide fantastic handling and acceleration. The car hauls ***, period. Turn ins are tight, and its very easy to find the correct line. In case you lose your nerve, the Brembos are there in a jiffy. The engine sound is fantastic, and there is a whole world past 5000 RPM that I never visited in my previous Benz.

The big ?? is, of course, reliability. And Maserati doesn’t exactly have the best track record. Since I haven’t had it too long, I can’t comment (other than no problems as of yet!). However, there is a 5/40K warranty and my dealer in Greenwich has offered to flatbed it in and out of Manhattan if it needs repair or service. One interesting point is that it looks like Ferrari plans to use the 4.2 liter engine in the next Modena (model year TBD). It will be tuned to 450+ HP!!! Anyway, its sounds as if they plan to use the Maserati as a cost effective way to scale up next-gen Ferrari V8’s. This may keep them motivated to keep quality high.

Barring any significant reliability problems, which cannot be ruled out, I would buy again in a heartbeat. Unless, of course, I upgrade to a higher end car…

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions. Here is a pic.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:35 PM

2000 Honda Accord EX V6
**drool**... i can't stop slobbering... wow...

and just a note...my dad grew up in Italy.. and always told me that the Maserati's were always better the an 'Rarries... now that i look @ your Ebrigham... i must say.. that is one FINE car... **drool**
Old 12-19-2002, 03:56 PM

Re: Review

Originally posted by Ebrigham
I have only had it for a couple of weeks, so it’s still in break in, but I will give some initial thoughts:

I am ecstatic. I almost feel like moving out to the ‘burbs just to be able to drive it every day! Overall, I think the car is a looker. The color I got is a darkish red (rosa bologna). Interior is black dash with beige seats. Piping is a darker shade. I also got the leather headliner which I highly recommend. For my height I have short legs and long arms, which fits the car perfectly, including the closely situated dead pedal. But if you have proportions that are more “normal”, you might be a little less comfortable. But hey, that’s Italian quirkiness for you.

I bought the cambiocorsa, it provides the same (or better) performance as the traditional 6-speed manual. I will admit, putting it in fully auto-mode is pretty clunky when going WOT, though not as bad as the car mags would have you believe. However, putting it in manual mode gives you nice, clean shifts. I also have the active suspension (Skyhook), which reduces body roll/dive/squat very nicely the 3700 curb weight notwithstanding. Putting the car in “sport” mode coordinates the shifter and suspension to provide fantastic handling and acceleration. The car hauls ***, period. Turn ins are tight, and its very easy to find the correct line. In case you lose your nerve, the Brembos are there in a jiffy. The engine sound is fantastic, and there is a whole world past 5000 RPM that I never visited in my previous Benz.

The big ?? is, of course, reliability. And Maserati doesn’t exactly have the best track record. Since I haven’t had it too long, I can’t comment (other than no problems as of yet!). However, there is a 5/40K warranty and my dealer in Greenwich has offered to flatbed it in and out of Manhattan if it needs repair or service. One interesting point is that it looks like Ferrari plans to use the 4.2 liter engine in the next Modena (model year TBD). It will be tuned to 450+ HP!!! Anyway, its sounds as if they plan to use the Maserati as a cost effective way to scale up next-gen Ferrari V8’s. This may keep them motivated to keep quality high.

Barring any significant reliability problems, which cannot be ruled out, I would buy again in a heartbeat. Unless, of course, I upgrade to a higher end car…

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions. Here is a pic.

Do you have more pics about your Maserati ??
thanks!!
Old 12-19-2002, 04:15 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: Re: Review

Originally posted by Y2K9999
Do you have more pics about your Maserati ??
thanks!!
Yup. Having some problems with the uploads, should be able to put more up in next couple of days...
Old 12-19-2002, 04:25 PM

ML 320 CDI
If I were you, I would choose a E55 cause it has the best engine and it the best style. You can't make a mistake choosing MB.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Review

Originally posted by Ebrigham
Yup. Having some problems with the uploads, should be able to put more up in next couple of days...
Thank you!!

how much for all Options??(i chack the website of Maserati usa ~ all Options is under 10K)

how about the quality of your baby car?? :o :o :p

maybe i will get one on next march for my birthday!!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:03 PM

Outstanding choices, Ebrigham.
The model I looked at was the same color you bought.
Very eye catching without being obnoxious.
I didn't have a chance to drive one, but the design alone is such a knock out. Great choice.
Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2002, 04:30 AM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
Take a MB over the audi! causs the mb has style..somethint the audi's dont really...the e500 is a great car....but.....u knoe the the little amg badge makes it feel a liitle more special.

if u decide against any audi or MB ..may i suggest you to the Uk...and i'm pretty sure they sell HSV's (holden special veichles) there which are imported from australia.....and i can tell ya....the car aint rocket science but it goes fast! and look mad!..i dont know which hsv's they sell there... but this is just a suggestion is u decide against a german car.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:43 AM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Review

Thank you!!

how much for all Options??(i chack the website of Maserati usa ~ all Options is under 10K)

how about the quality of your baby car?? :o :o :p

maybe i will get one on next march for my birthday!!
Off the top of my head, here are my options

Cambiocorsa (like playing Nintendo, which I grew up with)
Skyhook (good for managing 3700 lb curb weight)
Upgraded audio w/ CD changer (I am still listening to the engine)
Leather headliner (nice finishing touch)
GPS nav (I aint no Christopher Columbus!)
Inflatable spare (You too can get a spare tire for $700!)
Heated seats and Xenon lights (spoiled by my old Benz)

Cat totaled about $102K all in, including all taxes. I didn't get every single option (skipped the fire extinguisher and matching luggage), but the car is basically loaded. If you are a fan of stick, you can essentially get the same performance with the 6-speed manual, thus saving $3K. Skyhook keeps the body roll/squat/dive down while still providing a comfy ride. The system is not as advanced as MB's ABC, so don't expect "flat turn" capability, but it still does a prety good job. You can easily pick one up much closer to $90k depending on your preferences.

Regarding quality, so far so good. The engine is downright a work of art, and it's generally one area that Ferrari does not screw up. I love the interior, which is swathed in leather. Overall construction/stitching is good, and the doors provide the nice "thunk" MBers want. Yes , there are plastic pieces here and there, but that is automotive life these days. Keep in mind that the car is still in near show-room condition so long-term is still unknown. But considering Maserati's past, it's an area of concern, and I am cautiously optimistic.

And yes, it makes an excellent gift to yourself!!

AMG55 - Thanks for the compliment. Some people don't like the styling, an opinion I am happy to disagree with. However, I do feel the Spyder loses a lot of appeal with its stubbier proportions (size of the Boxster) . Regarding the color, I like red (magma), but didn't want to be a poser by getting a "Ferrari color".
Old 12-20-2002, 12:18 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Get the E55. The Audi RS6 is a last hurrah before that entire body and chassis is retired next fall. It is old-tech. You could have an Audi tuner piece you together basically the same car from an existing A6.

Like taking a W210 E55 and tuning it with a Super charger, suspension, ect. It would be a totally radical, incredible performance machine, but it would not be the latest or the greatest. And resale isn't going to be there.

The new E55 W211 is cutting edge technology and performance. It will hold its value and put you on the forefront of automotive evolution.

Just get a V8 car? If that's what you want, do it...buy transportation, buy a "car." But if you want an adventure, buy an AMG.

BTW, the SL55 is not a fast little sports car. It is heavier than the E55!
Old 12-20-2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by hmrdwn
Get the E55. The Audi RS6 is a last hurrah before that entire body and chassis is retired next fall. It is old-tech. You could have an Audi tuner piece you together basically the same car from an existing A6.

Like taking a W210 E55 and tuning it with a Super charger, suspension, ect. It would be a totally radical, incredible performance machine, but it would not be the latest or the greatest. And resale isn't going to be there.

The new E55 W211 is cutting edge technology and performance. It will hold its value and put you on the forefront of automotive evolution.

Just get a V8 car? If that's what you want, do it...buy transportation, buy a "car." But if you want an adventure, buy an AMG.

BTW, the SL55 is not a fast little sports car. It is heavier than the E55!
Now I'm wondering about the SLK32 and perhaps an E500...

The 32 has all the performance of the E55 with more 'whip it around' fun. Then I can get an E500 as the 'family car', which is plenty good. I'm also considering going with a Boxster S and an E500 (or possibly the E55 still, who knows...)
Old 12-30-2002, 12:03 AM

Anyone notice that MB's brochure for the E55 has comparison data for E55 vs RS6/M5/Jag, with E55 rated at higher HP/torque and faster 0-60 times?
Sure it's a PR brochure, but MB is typically quite conservative, also.

http://www.err0neous.org/mbz/e55brch/~lwf0019.jpg
Old 01-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

M5 all the way!!!

Don't forget the Be Em!!!!

As you seem to go to the shops from your home alot...this might be the best, although the M5 is much better suited to other things(showing it's **** off to the likes of Mercs, Audis, Jags etc)...but it has got to be the 'best' to play around with in carparks on the way to the shops....I garantee your trips to the shops will never be boring ever again!!!

anyhow

Good Luck on your choice!

P.S Also www.bmwm5.com is definitly worth a check!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:14 AM

Red face

I really want to see the picture la@@
Old 01-03-2003, 09:36 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
Pics

I really want to see the picture la@@
Hey Y2K9999, if you're talking to me, I just posted some pics in the off topic forum. I didn't want to hi-jack this thread with non-W210/211 posts... Later.