Sponsored by:

It's back: ABS/BAS/ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
It's back: ABS/BAS/ESP

It's back: ABS/BAS/ESP. This issue first appeared about six months ago. Back then, the remedy was to restart the vehicle, and turn the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. This held until recently, when the three malfunctions reappeared, but on a more regular basis. Last week, after reading through the forums, I decided to replace my battery. It was over three years old, and when tested appeared to be holding a low charge. The vehicle now runs stronger, and my issue appeared to be remedies. Today, it came back: ABS/BAS/ESP. My best guess would be to replace the voltage regulator and/ or the alternator; or the brake lamp switch. I have noticed that this issue appears on long drives, or hard drives where I apply the brakes more often. I am obviously beginning with the cheap do-it-yourself remedies, but I am getting frustrated in the mean time. Can someone please shed some light on this issue or their remedy to this issue. Or is this a common malfunction that is a innate malfunction in itself. Almost forgot; my 00 E55 has only 63K on the clock.

Last edited by ruBENZ; 05-17-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by ruBENZ
It's back: ABS/BAS/ESP. This issue first appeared about six months ago. Back then, the remedy was to restart the vehicle, and turn the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. This held until recently, when the three malfunctions reappeared, but on a more regular basis. Last week, after reading through the forums, I decided to replace my battery. It was over three years old, and when tested appeared to be holding a low charge. The vehicle now runs stronger, and my issue appeared to be remedies. Today, it came back: ABS/BAS/ESP. My best guess would be to replace the voltage regulator and/ or the alternator; or the brake lamp switch. I have noticed that this issue appears on long drives, or hard drives where I apply the brakes more often. I am obviously beginning with the cheap do-it-yourself remedies, but I am getting frustrated in the mean time. Can someone please shed some light on this issue or their remedy to this issue. Or is this a common malfunction that is a innate malfunction in itself. Almost forgot; my 00 E55 has only 63K on the clock.

I bet it's your brake switch. My came on while a few week ago while i was braking hard up and down the hills of down town Seattle. When i restart the car it went away. I replaced the brake switch anyway and it hasn't come back since.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I bet it's your brake switch. My came on while a few week ago while i was braking hard up and down the hills of down town Seattle. When i restart the car it went away. I replaced the brake switch anyway and it hasn't come back since.
It appears the hills of San Francisco have produced the same effect. Thank you Peter. I will be replacing the brake lamp switch in the very near future.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
It happens to mine every once in a while when I back out of my very steep driveway
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM

E55
happens on and off on mine, bought a breakswitch, anyone know exactly how to install it?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also check your brake wires. It's possible that the wires are exposed and is getting short circuited.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
+1. I did the same thing and have not have a problem since.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM

2000 WHITE E55 AMG
ABS/BAS/ESP ON MY 2000 E55

ABS/BAS/ESP ON MY 2000 E55 W/ 104K MILES, POPPED UP.. IT HAPPENED BEFORE BUT, WAS ABLE TO GET RID OF IT , BUT NOW. ITS WORSE. NOW ONCE IT POPS..THE CAR DRIVES DIFFERENT, IT DOES NOT SHIFT, THE MILEAGE STOPS, THE SPEEDOMETER STOPS WORKING. .. WHATS THE CAUSE?.. HOW CAN I FIX THIS. I'VE BEEN READING THREADS HERE, BUT SOME DONT WORK.. WHERE IS THE BRAKE SWITCH LOCATED AT?.. THATS ANOTHER OPTION I WOULD LIKE TO TRY, I COULD EITHER TRY CLEANING IT, OR REPLACING IT. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RAEBENZE55
ABS/BAS/ESP ON MY 2000 E55 W/ 104K MILES, POPPED UP.. IT HAPPENED BEFORE BUT, WAS ABLE TO GET RID OF IT , BUT NOW. ITS WORSE. NOW ONCE IT POPS..THE CAR DRIVES DIFFERENT, IT DOES NOT SHIFT, THE MILEAGE STOPS, THE SPEEDOMETER STOPS WORKING. .. WHATS THE CAUSE?.. HOW CAN I FIX THIS. I'VE BEEN READING THREADS HERE, BUT SOME DONT WORK.. WHERE IS THE BRAKE SWITCH LOCATED AT?.. THATS ANOTHER OPTION I WOULD LIKE TO TRY, I COULD EITHER TRY CLEANING IT, OR REPLACING IT. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Replace the brake lamp switch: Part #001-545-64-09 . Here is the DIY: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...lly-fixed.html

Good luck
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM

00 E55,03 GC OVERLAND,92 CHEROKEE
Had the same problem for several months untill I finally got fed up and took it in, there is a wiring harness in or around the tranny that was shot. I also had a leak in one of the hoses. Paid $270 to fix the problem and no matter how hard I drive it hasn't come back since. Save yourself the embarrassment of dealing with that in front of a woman and get it fixed properly.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM

I repair industrial electronics for a living and with my experience with that I'll tell you that you may solve the problem for a while by replacing a switch, but if it's a wiring issue which mine was, replacing a switch everytime it happens will only bring you closer to more severe problems down the road (fire, wreck, etc.).
Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by CONDEMNED
I repair industrial electronics for a living and with my experience with that I'll tell you that you may solve the problem for a while by replacing a switch, but if it's a wiring issue which mine was, replacing a switch everytime it happens will only bring you closer to more severe problems down the road (fire, wreck, etc.).
Hopefully its not a wiring issue and just the switch, which was clearly getting stuck when depressed in my case.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SleepersRock
Hopefully its not a wiring issue and just the switch, which was clearly getting stuck when depressed in my case.
I must have missed the part about the switch being stuck ha ha. In that case not much to worry about.

HOW DO I DISCONNECT MY BATTERY TO RESET MY ECU?

ISN'T UNDER A SEAT OR SOMETHING?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 AM

2000 E55 AMG
I must have missed the part about the switch being stuck ha ha. In that case not much to worry about.

HOW DO I DISCONNECT MY BATTERY TO RESET MY ECU?

ISN'T UNDER A SEAT OR SOMETHING?
It was the switch. The original OEM has a design flaw; the replacement OEM addressed the flaw. The battery is located under the rear seat passenger side. There is a release clip on both corners of the rear seat. Release, and remove seat. Disconnect the battery. Wait at least 20 minutes (some folks prefer overnight), then reconnect the battery. WARNING: Have your Radio Code on the hand, and be prepared to reset your windows, seats, and sunroof.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 PM

It was the switch. The original OEM has a design flaw; the replacement OEM addressed the flaw. The battery is located under the rear seat passenger side. There is a release clip on both corners of the rear seat. Release, and remove seat. Disconnect the battery. Wait at least 20 minutes (some folks prefer overnight), then reconnect the battery. WARNING: Have your Radio Code on the hand, and be prepared to reset your windows, seats, and sunroof.
Reset the sunroof??? I was unaware of any personal settings for that, what are they?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Reset the sunroof??? I was unaware of any personal settings for that, what are they?
There is no personal setting. My sunroof got stuck in the open position. With the help of FOB? (keyless entry device), I was able to close it. Then I held the interior button in the down position for a few seconds, waited for the computer tone, and the problem was solved. I have learned that when resetting the sunroof, and the windows, one must begin in the closed position.