Sponsored by:

Key Fob Range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG (w210)
Key Fob Range

It seems like my Key fob will go 15-20 feet max, sometimes i need to be even closer or like right next to the car for it to work..

changed the battery, helped a little but range is still terrible..

is this normal? can i replace the key fob with a newer model such as this one:

also, does the remote do any tricks like closing the sunroof or windows?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
You can change key fobs, at least between the W210 all plastic version and the newer style like you posted, so long as the buttons are in the same position. Buy a used one on eBay, take them both apart, and switch the circuit board from your remote into the new "shell."

If you hold the lock or unlock button and point it at an IR sensor (the little black square on the door handle) it will close or open (respectively) the windows and sunroof. You have to hold for several seconds.

If the range is really bad, it's probably only using IR and not RF. Cover the IR emitter on the remote (the little circle on the front) with your finger and try opening the doors. If that doesn't work that will confirm that it's using IR. The fix is to get behind the C pillar on the driver side and fuss with the antenna and amplifier that is back there. If you jiggle it, it will probably get a better connection.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by saintz
You can change key fobs, at least between the W210 all plastic version and the newer style like you posted, so long as the buttons are in the same position. Buy a used one on eBay, take them both apart, and switch the circuit board from your remote into the new "shell."

If you hold the lock or unlock button and point it at an IR sensor (the little black square on the door handle) it will close or open (respectively) the windows and sunroof. You have to hold for several seconds.

If the range is really bad, it's probably only using IR and not RF. Cover the IR emitter on the remote (the little circle on the front) with your finger and try opening the doors. If that doesn't work that will confirm that it's using IR. The fix is to get behind the C pillar on the driver side and fuss with the antenna and amplifier that is back there. If you jiggle it, it will probably get a better connection.
man didnt know know you could swap themout .thats pretty kool. have you done it personally ? Is it hard or just plug n play?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Gonna have to try that auto window roll down. Only thing I thought it does open the trunk.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by MBFLO
man didnt know know you could swap themout .thats pretty kool. have you done it personally ? Is it hard or just plug n play?
So long as the buttons are the same layout, it will probably work, so you have to check your key and the one you're looking to swap. I've swapped key shells before. It's fairly easy, but it's a little nerve racking pulling the circuit board out with pliers.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

E55 AMG (w210)
this is awesome information.. thanks! will fiddle with it this weekend.

it's really annoying when i cant remember if i hit lock or not and then i have to turn around and walk back towards the car while pushing lock a thousand times until the lights blink.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
I think you can swap key shells but same style.. the newer crom style do not match the older circuit board

Fabio Daniel

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 AM

2001 E55, 2008 S550, 1995 BMW M3
I swapped mine out.. if you get a shop discount its like $90 programmed. It sucks, I literally have to be infront of the car sometimes for it to work.. security feature maybe? The windows up and down is a great thing to play with.. I use it a lot!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
You can just order a new key from dealership, and you will get the nice shiny new one.

Stick the key in your mouth. I promise you, It will get better range!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by mysticblu999
You can just order a new key from dealership, and you will get the nice shiny new one.

Stick the key in your mouth. I promise you, It will get better range!
LoL Its Funny U Say That My Uncle Used 2 Always Tell Me 2 Hold It Under My Chin Somethin Bout Static Elec.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Neck, chin, really any part of your body/torso will work. Works like a champ when I don't feel like walking back to the car.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 E55

Had no idea. Just tried it...That is kick ***!