Sponsored by:

Need help about TCU info/upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Need help about TCU info/upgrade

Anyone who sits on a good amount of info about the TCU unit in our E55 transmissions?

Whats the name on our trannys? 722.6XX ???

Where is the TCU unit located on the car?

Will a TCU flash/upgrade help the car shift faster?

I need to do something about my tranny. Cause with the bigger MAF house on my car, the signal to the TCU (i guess) is to low causing it to shift quite odd and even slip. And i guess it's due to the lower signal, not worn out cluth packs. Cause it shifted great before the bigger MAF house.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated

// Magnus
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Yes, TCU software does help transmission shift quicker with less slippage in between gears. Are you running screens on your larger MAF? If not then the air will be very erratic which can cause tranny shifting issues. The 722.6 trannies are very sensitive to air/fuels and is the method by which the engine ECU / TCU judge most of its variables. For this reason, when MAFs go bad everything starts running poorly.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Sorry, but what is "running screens" ?

The car also lost all power/torque under 4000 rpm the other day Can i have a bad MAF sensor? I get no fail codes at all when running a fail code search. Shouldn't a bad MAF sensor put a code?

Also i get BAS/ESP warnings. Brake switch or the K40 module? But same there, should pull a code to?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
The stock MAF has two sets of screens in front of the sensor itself. One thick black plastic one with larger openings followed but a smaller thinner mesh wire screen. These are put in place to create proper laminar airflow to ensure accurate reading. When you increased the bore of your MAF did you use larger screens or did you just remove these all together?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Abalone, the EGS in our cars are located inside the black box under the hood passenger side, remove the 4 x screws & you can see a black module with 2 cnectors, remove the 2 connectors & check if you don't have oil inside, is a pretty common issue in our cars, the tranny oil travel by the wires to the module & cause erratic shifts or death module (open the EGS & clean all oil with a CFC cleaner if is required)

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM

AMS --> Ok thanks! I'll have to check if they put a screen on the MAF.

Fabio D --> With EGS, do you mean TCU? I looked today but didn't find any black module?

I'm getting more and more frustated now If i drive the car and shift it "manual" and are in 2:nd gear and floor it without letting it shift to 3:rd (engine break), the 2:nd gear will stuck and i have to stop the car and turn it off/on and then i can shift normal again. Whats this? engine or Tranny related?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
You may be hitting a torque limiter in either ECU. Such is the nature of extreme modding... you run into barriers that are hard to diagnose/determine....
Old 05-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Can you get fault codes from the transmission like you can from the ECU? That would explain or lead me into more info about my problem.

Also found this here --> http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...l_Mercedes.pdf

LIMP-HOME __________________________________________________ _____ YES/NO
Used on EGS systems. This parameter indicates if the ECU or electronic transmission control
module (ETC) initiated the limp-home mode. A fault within the ME system, sequential fuel
injection (SFI) system, traction system, an electrical transmission failure, or a mechanical
transmission failure may cause the ECU or ETC to engage limp-home mode. YES means that
the limp-home mode is engaged.
When you suspect a transmission electrical failure caused the limp-home mode to engage,
look for the following conditions for confirmation:
• The last successful gearshift remains engaged until the ignition key is cycled;
• If the transmission is in 2nd or reverse, after the key is cycled, the torque converter lockup
clutch shuts off while modulating and shift pressures rise to their maximum values.
When you suspect a transmission mechanical failure caused the limp-home mode to engage,
look for the following condition for confirmation:
• After the mechanical fault occurs, the transmission resets itself to 3rd gear. Cycling the
ignition switch causes the transmission to shift normally until the ETC detects another
fault. The transmission again resets itself to third gear, repeating the same cycle

And maybe this can explain the loss of torque/power i feel in the car from time to time?? The "Torque converter clutch" that make the car feel torque less?? --->

Used on EZ, HFM, ME10, ME20, ME27, and ME28 systems. These parameters show
whether or not the ECU is operating the automatic transmission in an overload protection
mode. The display normally reads OFF and reads ON if transmission overload protection
mode is active. In overload mode the ECU disables the torque converter clutch and overdrive.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Ab: Inside the black control module box, Next the ESP-BAS unit you have a little black module wuth 2 connectors, in the white sticker sayd EGSxx this is the TCU, remove the 2 connectors, push upside the black module & they pop up very easly, openned & check if you d not have amunt of oil inside them

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fabio D
Ab: Inside the black control module box, Next the ESP-BAS unit you have a little black module wuth 2 connectors, in the white sticker sayd EGSxx this is the TCU, remove the 2 connectors, push upside the black module & they pop up very easly, openned & check if you d not have amunt of oil inside them

Fabio Daniel
Is this the one (TCU)? (NOT my car,found it on the net)

Old 05-31-2010, 04:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
"overload protection" is the same thing as torque limiter, same thing. You have pushed it past the tranny's internal settings so it appears you need a new TCU tune.

You can completely diagnose, read, reset transmission variables & shifting adaption learning curves through the STAR diagnostic tool (its expensive so usually only the nicest shops will have it). I normal shop or autozone type OBD2 reader won't cut it. Most likely you will have to take it to a dealership or high end benz tuner to have them go through the individual tranny adaption settings & readings to see exactly why its doing it (should tell you indepth for each clutch pack exactly whats going on).
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
"overload protection" is the same thing as torque limiter, same thing. You have pushed it past the tranny's internal settings so it appears you need a new TCU tune.

You can completely diagnose, read, reset transmission variables & shifting adaption learning curves through the STAR diagnostic tool (its expensive so usually only the nicest shops will have it). I normal shop or autozone type OBD2 reader won't cut it. Most likely you will have to take it to a dealership or high end benz tuner to have them go through the individual tranny adaption settings & readings to see exactly why its doing it (should tell you indepth for each clutch pack exactly whats going on).
Ok thanks! Hope i can fix this. I'll let you know
Old 05-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Took the TCU down today to see if it had any oil in it,and WOOOOOOOW There seemed to be enough oil in it to cover a oil change in an old tractor

No wonder why my transmission have been playing games with me the last weeks Have a look at all the oil i just tipped out by just turning it upside down -->

Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
HOLY SH*T!!!! That's not good. My car hasn't been shifting weird, but it makes me want to check mine just in case.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Originally Posted by ABALONE
Took the TCU down today to see if it had any oil in it,and WOOOOOOOW There seemed to be enough oil in it to cover a oil change in an old tractor

No wonder why my transmission have been playing games with me the last weeks Have a look at all the oil i just tipped out by just turning it upside down -->

Thats all what i'm talking about AB. hope this fix your problem

Clean all the EGS (ELECTRONIC GEAR SHIFT) with a CRC cleaner & if is possible heated with a hair dryer (take care dont burn it)

you can reset the EGS shift adaptation removing the - of the battery one day & night "more than 12 hours" (we have here the star diagnosis to reset the EGS addaptations but you can reset them via removing the neggative. when you drive the car few miles the EGS takes new addaptations

When you put the EGS again you need to change the wire seal conector in the tranny to fix the EGS oiling problem

Edited: i forgot to tell u, i recommend you a tranny flush. Put a new tranny fluid & change the filter too, cause the color of your oil looks no good

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 06-02-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Thats all what i'm talking about AB. hope this fix your problem

Clean all the EGS (ELECTRONIC GEAR SHIFT) with a CRC cleaner & if is possible heated with a hair dryer (take care dont burn it)

you can reset the EGS shift adaptation removing the - of the battery one day & night "more than 12 hours" (we have here the star diagnosis to reset the EGS addaptations but you can reset them via removing the neggative. when you drive the car few miles the EGS takes new addaptations

When you put the EGS again you need to change the wire seal conector in the tranny to fix the EGS oiling problem

Edited: i forgot to tell u, i recommend you a tranny flush. Put a new tranny fluid & change the filter too, cause the color of your oil looks no good

Fabio Daniel
Thanks Fabio, it's worth gold

I'm actually going to change the tranny fluid tomorrow. And will do the battery over night to see haw the car acts.

I'll let you know!

// Magnus
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Copy hope this help you

I tell u a top secret mod, you can connect the EGS after clean it and put them upside down just in the side place holder with some absorber sponge in the down side, this way any oil comming from the tranny not goes inside the module

hope this can fix your troubles

Fabio Daniel
Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ABALONE
Whats the name on our trannys? 722.6XX ???
Transmission 722636 02 670305

According to the russian site: http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Btw, I'm "E55" (Markus) from mbsca.com... Kul att följa ditt projekt här!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks E55

Now my car went into constant Limp mode on 2nd gear. A re-start won't fix it so i can shift I read a bit, and i wonder if i have a bad conductor plate/Speed sensor?

READ post 56

I'm taking the car to a MB shop on Monday to have the codes read. Hope they show whats up with my tranny,haha!

// Magnus
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Update: Got a call today from the MB workshop.

They couldn't get contact with the TCU unit with their computer. So i guess my TCU is kind of f*cked up after all the oil in it even though i cleaned it

Next step will be chaning the TCU unit, they will also change the two solenoids in the valve body to the blue top ones like this -->

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...roblems-3.html

This will be a last attempt to see if it makes my tranny work fine. Really hope it will do the trick.

// Magnus
Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Is very common the EGS fail when gets oil inside change them & prove your car before change the solenoids

Fabio Daniel
Old 06-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Is very common the EGS fail when gets oil inside change them & prove your car before change the solenoids

Fabio Daniel
Fabio --> When they changed my EGS this Friday, they put in a EGS52 version, the older one was a EGS51. They said it was the latest updated version of the TCU/EGS.

But now my car has a small shake/Insecurity when driving really slow near 1500-1800 rpm, the car kind of shakes a little bit?

I'll change the conductor plate to on Tuesday, don't know if it has something to do with all this.

Or if the new EGS52 don't work along with my car since it had a EGS51 before? They flashed it with the latest AMG version software, so i guess it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
All correct my friend the EGS52 is the replace part for the EGS51, but the number of the module need to match the vin number of the car. (are 6 numbers of EGS52) & only one works good for the chassis number, i think your dealer check the part number with the vin before change, but i think it's not normal the shake of the car only with the EGS, in the baddest panorama your car burn the composite discs making spin a little the gear inside the tranny making some shake. but is kind rare.. drive the car some days & keep us posted

Fabio Daniel
Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM

All correct my friend the EGS52 is the replace part for the EGS51, but the number of the module need to match the vin number of the car. (are 6 numbers of EGS52) & only one works good for the chassis number, i think your dealer check the part number with the vin before change, but i think it's not normal the shake of the car only with the EGS, in the baddest panorama your car burn the composite discs making spin a little the gear inside the tranny making some shake. but is kind rare.. drive the car some days & keep us posted

Fabio Daniel
I've checked both the old & new TCU/EGS and compared it to the VIN. And there is not a single number on either of them that match the cars VIN And the old EGS51 TCU was in the car when it was new!

Going to MB tomorrow, i'll see what they have to say. I'm also changing to the blue tops tomorrow. Let you know tomorrow!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
You would know if the new EGS match the vin number of thr car via EPC, (electronic part catalog) the vin number not comes writed in the sticker, only have the part number & the dealer need to check if it match the car or not.

Let me know what happen tomorrow, but i'm sure the shaking is not caused by the EGS

let me know if you really appreciate any change with the blue top solenoids & please post the part number for this

Fabio Daniel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help about TCU info/upgrade