Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e55
bas/abs/eps message

hello,

I have a 1999 e55.

While driving today the abs/esp/bas lights came on.

I have read all the posts on the forum on this but I have a couple of questions.

No matter what I do in terms of "resetting" , the lights come on when I start the car.

someone mentioned that they did not have brake lights ; I do.

I will get and replace the brake light swith. Is there anyway to confirm that that is the issue prior to replacing it.

Any thoughts on what else it could be.

Any issues with driving with the lights on until the part comes?

All help is much appreicated.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Almost definitely the brake light switch. Replace it as soon as you can. Your ABS and airbags may not work correctly in the mean time (can't confirm for sure).
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Your ABS will not work! (I don't think it effects the airbag) Careful driving in the rain although the ABS will still kick in but not enough to assist.

Here you go- Start here.. If it's not your brake light switch then it can be you module hopefully that's not the case. Switch is about $30. Dealer charge around $150 to $200 maybe even more....

Do it yourself and save

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...s-bas-esp.html

Armani

Last edited by armaniE55; 06-28-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:04 PM

1999 e55
more info on problem

thank you for your replies.

Part should be here on Thursday and I will have my mechanic install it. I have problems bending down right now.

I did an interesting test today. got home turned on the engine and the abs/esp/bas lights came on. I turned off the engine and depressed the brake the entire way and started the car. The lights did NOT come on. I slowly released the brake and just about when it got to the top the light came on.

is this an stronger indication that it is the brake light switch?

Thank you
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by glic9999
thank you for your replies.

Part should be here on Thursday and I will have my mechanic install it. I have problems bending down right now.

I did an interesting test today. got home turned on the engine and the abs/esp/bas lights came on. I turned off the engine and depressed the brake the entire way and started the car. The lights did NOT come on. I slowly released the brake and just about when it got to the top the light came on.

is this an stronger indication that it is the brake light switch?

Thank you
Yes sir.... Brake Light Switch. If you click on my link I have a picture of the brake light switch. It's basically a push/down/up switch. Have your mechanic show you your old one and let us know how much he charged.

Armani
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM

1999 e55
problem solved

I want to thank everyone who replied to my question.

I picked up the part from mercedes of NY yesterday for $32 +tax and my mechanic installed it for $50. problem solved.

The one real issue with my mercedes is the number of sensors that die in this car. I owned a 1989 acura legend for 17 years and the only thing that broke in the 17 year span was the accesory belt. I know its not an AMG but it was a light nimble car that was fun.

I may be foolish, but I expect a car that costs this much new to be a very solid car.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by glic9999
The one real issue with my mercedes is the number of sensors that die in this car. I owned a 1989 acura legend for 17 years and the only thing that broke in the 17 year span was the accesory belt. I know its not an AMG but it was a light nimble car that was fun.

I may be foolish, but I expect a car that costs this much new to be a very solid car.
What you don't realize is that the sensors are what keep the car solid. If you're expecting maintenance on a $70k car to be the same as a $17k car, then I'm sorry but you're mistaken.

An AMG is a performance machine that was tuned and set up to last. In order to balance the performance with reliability, the sensors are essential. At least it's the sensors and not the mechanical pieces of the car.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
It's impossible to compare features on one car against ones that don't exist on another.

The last Japanese car I drove (Toyota) didn't have a warning system when the brake light switch went out. Do Acuras?

Lastly, I wouldn't say a car isn't "solid" if a $32 switch fails after 12 years.

Last edited by MarcusF; 07-02-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MarcusF
It's impossible to compare features on one car against ones that don't exist on another.

The last Japanese car I drove (Toyota) didn't have a warning system when the brake light switch went out. Do Acuras?

Lastly, I wouldn't say a car isn't "solid" if a $32 switch fails after 12 years.
+1

I've said it once and I'll say it again.... .to keep cost down on the W210 E55 you will have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty. My next project is to re-do the sealant on the Breather. I knew going into this car that A. I need a solid indy shop and 2nd stepping up and try to do as much as I can on my own. (It's actually a great feeling )

Granted you only spent $50 but before you know it will start to add up quick. Between MBworld and Benzworld there's a lot of DIY PDF's and you can always come here for assistance.

Enjoy the Beast.. she aint no Acura

Cheers!

Armani
Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM

1999 e55
sensors

I appreicate everyones comments and I do not beilive I was clear in my original comment.

First, to esh the acura was $29,000 in 1989 not $17,000 .

But that is not the issue. I am not new to this car. I have had it for almost 4 years and the number of sensors that have died are amazing. I have the history of the car from the original owner and some of these senors are not dying for the first time and I only use original MB parts. The guy before we did regular maint on the car.

the acura had fewer sensors of course but none of them died in the 17 years I had the car.

I understand becuase it is a more expenisve car parts will cost more. I knew that going into the purchase of the car. What I have the issue with is the number of parts that have died over the past 4 years. I expect a car that cost this much to have fewer parts that seem to be poorly designed or have had cost cutting. We all know that some constantlly dying parts should had recalls done on them

Don't get me wrong I love driving this car and hope to hold on to it for many years.

I used to do all maintenace on my acura, but I hernaited my cervical disk a coule of years ago and if I twist my desk to much pain comes back so I have to depend on my mechanic shop who has one guy who is a wizard on german cars.

Again, I thank everyone for the help and the intersting posts I have read over the years.

I just registered recenely becuase I needed to post.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
i have gotten these same malfunction warnings twice in last 4-5 months since ive owned my e55 ... i just turn the ignition on n off 3 times without starting the car .. then restart it again .. the warnings dont show back up ..
Welcome to the forum .. hard just to lurk when u got somthing to say ..lol
Old 07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by MBFLO
i have gotten these same malfunction warnings twice in last 4-5 months since ive owned my e55 ... i just turn the ignition on n off 3 times without starting the car .. then restart it again .. the warnings dont show back up ..
Order the switch soon. One day not far from now it will probably do it and not reset itself. And then you can be stuck (can't shift from park if the brake switch is totally dead).