W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a common problem for a 2000 E55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 & 2008 S550 Designo
Is this a common problem for a 2000 E55?

"The problem was actually in the shifter. It had locked up. "
this is the description that the seller had given me...but it has been fixed since then. Would this be considered a major problem and should I be concern that it had happened?
Also he has 72K miles on the odometer and claims he has all maintenance records from dealership for the last 8 years since he owned it....he has no record prior to the 8 years...he is second owner...two tone seats and steering wheel...asking for $14k...is that reasonable price ???

thanks..
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Price is a little high, not crazy if the condition is really good.

Broken shifter probably either means he spilled fluid in it or I believe there is a latch that can break. Either way, if he replaced it and it shifts fine now, you should be good. Only issue would be if it got wet and is exhibiting erratic behavior now (stuck in gear, etc.).

8 years of records sound like it has been well taken care of.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 PM

I am pretty sure the shifter is ok now...otherwise he would not have kept it for 8

years...unless it happened very recently.
I asked him if the transmission oil has ever been replaced....he was not sure and is digging through his records and will let me know.
The price is not a super good deal unless he is willing to go down to $11-12K and if the car is as good as he claims it to be. (no accidents, everything is working, always garaged, etc...)
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Are there any differences between 2000 to 2002 E55's

I am not in a hurry and so I can wait to find the last year of the W210 E55 (2002). Was the 2 tone seats an expensive option and is it rare?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by mistertonyn
I am not in a hurry and so I can wait to find the last year of the W210 E55 (2002). Was the 2 tone seats an expensive option and is it rare?
I'm not sure how the 2 tone question has to do with desirability. It's not super rare, what color are yours?

I'm personally not a fan of the two-tone leather, but to each their own.

I think you are looking at a great car. The most important thing you do is take it in for a PPI from an independent MB shop. Take it for a test drive, and if you're still interested, pay the 90 bucks for a PPI and go from there. The PPI should tell you what needs replaced or how much life is left in wear and tear items (tires/brakes). This will give you a good idea of the overall condition of the car and determine whether you want to continue dealing on it or not.

From what it sounds like, this is a solid car. For someone to expect complete records on a 10 year old car is a bit much. If he has 8 years, and things look normal, and the PPI checks out, go for it.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Esh
I'm not sure how the 2 tone question has to do with desirability. It's not super rare, what color are yours?
Just curious if the 2 tone was special for that year. Not important to me at all. Mine is solid black.

I'm personally not a fan of the two-tone leather, but to each their own.

I think you are looking at a great car. The most important thing you do is take it in for a PPI from an independent MB shop. Take it for a test drive, and if you're still interested, pay the 90 bucks for a PPI and go from there. The PPI should tell you what needs replaced or how much life is left in wear and tear items (tires/brakes). This will give you a good idea of the overall condition of the car and determine whether you want to continue dealing on it or not.

From what it sounds like, this is a solid car. For someone to expect complete records on a 10 year old car is a bit much. If he has 8 years, and things look normal, and the PPI checks out, go for it.
My car is 11 years old and I have all records for all those years...so asking if he has all the records is not too much to ask....just asking...NOT demanding.
Knowing that the car's first few years was on the east coast..I wanted to know if there was any rust problems in the spring perch area.

Saw the car a few hours ago..3 main issues that I am aware of:

1/when the engine is idling, there is an air hissing sound coming from the far back left corner (towards the passenger side) in the engine compartment.

2/he acknowledges that there is a minor head gasket oil leak.

3/AC is blowing cold, but it is not coming out of the two center vents...only from the two outside corner vents.

any inputs/ thoughts?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
The oil leak is most likely the valve covers need to be tightened. Takes 5 minutes.

The A/C issue you should get examined. I think that's a common problem but even common A/C problems on these can cost a good bit.

2 tone leather is the Designo option. Black/white is fairly rare, but you see them from time to time. Black/red is pretty rare. Make sure the white leather is in good condition, because it can wear worse than the standard black.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by saintz
The oil leak is most likely the valve covers need to be tightened. Takes 5 minutes.

The A/C issue you should get examined. I think that's a common problem but even common A/C problems on these can cost a good bit.

2 tone leather is the Designo option. Black/white is fairly rare, but you see them from time to time. Black/red is pretty rare. Make sure the white leather is in good condition, because it can wear worse than the standard black.
It is the black/white 2 tone which makes it look a little more sporty looking.
You are correct about the wear...the steering wheel is 2 tone as well and the leather is worn down quite a lot on the top area (12 o'clock position).
It is quite a beast to drive