Sponsored by:

Shout Out to the Newest E55 Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 040 2000 E320 Wagon 199 2004 Ford F550
Shout Out to the Newest E55 Owners

With renewed interest in "joining the club", I was wondering whatcha guys are up to? Do you have any mods/adds to your new rides?

Aquasition
mtnhouse
T Roll
Tsquare

Let's hear about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM

2001 E55 AMG
Hey Swim Wagon thanks for the Shout Out - just saw your post now (Monday, April 4th, 7 p.m. PST).

I am liking my E55 but have had some interesting 'a-ha' moments since getting it. I thought I'd be blown away with it, but so far do not feel that way. For a brief period I had a Mercedes C280 Sport (with C43 AMG Monoblock wheels, otherwise stock) along with the E55 so I could compare them easily. I thought I'd go from the C280 to the E55 and notice a huge difference - I guess I did - but only when thromping on the gas pedal. Around town, and commuting 20 miles away and back, strangely my C280 didn't feel that outmatched. I bought the E55 because I wanted something 1) more powerful and 2) bigger - and it is both and those two characteristics are obvious.

One small thing that kind of bugs me with the E55 is that I feel like I've got a "dig" for the power in the gas pedal. With both my C280 and especially my X5 4.4i the power kicks in right when you begin pressing on the gas pedal. It almost feels like there's too much play in my gas pedal. Or maybe I just need to get used to it? Open to anyone's thoughts who has experience here.

I've got another question / possible beef but will start a new thread for that.

All in all I know it is an awesome car but it is taking me a while to bond with it.

T-Roll
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by T-Roll
Hey Swim Wagon thanks for the Shout Out - just saw your post now (Monday, April 4th, 7 p.m. PST).

I am liking my E55 but have had some interesting 'a-ha' moments since getting it. I thought I'd be blown away with it, but so far do not feel that way. For a brief period I had a Mercedes C280 Sport (with C43 AMG Monoblock wheels, otherwise stock) along with the E55 so I could compare them easily. I thought I'd go from the C280 to the E55 and notice a huge difference - I guess I did - but only when thromping on the gas pedal. Around town, and commuting 20 miles away and back, strangely my C280 didn't feel that outmatched. I bought the E55 because I wanted something 1) more powerful and 2) bigger - and it is both and those two characteristics are obvious.

One small thing that kind of bugs me with the E55 is that I feel like I've got a "dig" for the power in the gas pedal. With both my C280 and especially my X5 4.4i the power kicks in right when you begin pressing on the gas pedal. It almost feels like there's too much play in my gas pedal. Or maybe I just need to get used to it? Open to anyone's thoughts who has experience here.

All in all I know it is an awesome car but it is taking me a while to bond with it.

T-Roll
get ur self a sprint booster .. you might like the feel of it regardiing the gas
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
sprint booster like previously stated or sneaky ecu reset your ecu might need to be relearned if the car was drivin like it was if a grandma was driving it do a search on sneaky ecu reset and whomp on the car alittle it you might feel a diffrence one the ecu learns more aggresive driving habits. Hope that helps you
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
T-Roll, reset your ECU once a week. Mine goes soft soon after if I do not. I drove many for sale E55's and many of them felt lethargic, likely for this very reason. Night and day after a while.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM

2001 E55 AMG
I will do the Sneaky ECU Reset for the first time later today...and I'll report back my results!

What is a "Sprint Booster"? How much do they cost?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM

'94 E500 & '94 E320 Coupe
Welcome to new w210 e55 owners.

To get first gear starts, I put the W/S switch on the trans gear console on the "S" setting. (Summer vs. Winter).

There are quite a few posts on the forum to research performance issues. To help ensure your rides are performing as the factory intended, here's a few "maintenance items" to check:

-spark plugs
-wires
-MAS (air mas sensor)
-error codes
-outstanding service bulletins/ recall
-software updates
-outstanding maintenance from schedule A & B, high mileage schedule
-proper operation thermostat, coolant, fan clutch, radiator, aux fans

If needed, a comprehensive Inspection on your car from a competent MB Inde or factory MB Tech may turn up a specific issue affecting your car's performance.

To help add to the collective knowledge, I have an '01 e55 with high mileage that has not needed the soft reset procedure to keep it roaring.

Hope this helps

Last edited by -fad; 04-05-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Hi, I am not new to MBs but new to the E55s. Had most of my cars in diesel from 240D, 300TD wagon to 300DT and 190Ds, plus the W210 99 E300TD. This car sure is fast for me
Anyway, I would like to share my two cents on reseting the ECU so your E55 should drive as an AMG should.

Turn the ignition key to first slot (dont crank the engine)
Step on the accelarator down for 5 seconds
Turn the ignition key off and take the key out, all this while, have the accelaration pedal floored.
When the key is out, take the foot off the pedal.

Start the engine and enjoy
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
I would recommend doing the procedure at least once a week.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by Swim Wagon
With renewed interest in "joining the club", I was wondering whatcha guys are up to? Do you have any mods/adds to your new rides?

Aquasition
mtnhouse
T Roll
Tsquare

Let's hear about it.
Swim Wagon,

Sounds like your still on the search for your 55. I have not much to report on the hop up's.

Since my purchase I have concentrated on bringing my 55 to like new condition mechanically - done. I did as much of the work myself to get acquainted with the car. It has been easy to work on, no surprises. The car really runs great.

What I have come to realize about these cars, they are very happy on the open road, a quiet cruiser at just about any speed, but press on the right side peddle and it becomes an angry motor with wonderful snarls.

My next project on the car is to give it a proper exterior polish. I will clay bar, then Klasse cleaner / polish and finally Klasse sealer. I am looking to see how this combo works on my black sedan. I have heard some good reviews on Klasse, but have also had other recommendations for detailing products. I will report when completed.

I keep thinking about headers, but if I go that direction I want the twisty equal length pipe type, this leaves me looking at Renntechs, they are expensive, but if the right deal presents itself I'll make it happen. I am not very keen on replacing the rest of the exhaust system, I know the pick up in power would be there, but I like how the stock exhaust has two personalities, the quiet sound when the driving is easy, and the meaty snarl when the 55 is driven in anger.

T-Roll and I are planning to get together to compare notes in the next few weeks, if you need any additional info just say the word

Last edited by tsquare; 04-06-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by T-Roll

T-Roll
T-Roll, you shouldn't need to dig to feel the power in these cars, not with almost 400 lbs of torque.

Do the full ECU reset, by disconnecting the battery for an hour, then reconnect and plan on resetting windows, sunroof and seat memory, this only takes a couple of minutes. Also, have your radio code handy, if you want your radio to work after battery disconnect.

You should feel a difference immediately, if not look at work records for the next likely power robbing issue. When we get together I can give you a few ideas on where to look.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM

2002 E55 040 2000 E320 Wagon 199 2004 Ford F550
Hey Guys

Good to hear that you are still enjoying your new rides. I like the fact that so much personal attention goes into every detail of these cars. Makes me lust for a forum member's vehicle over one off the street.

Keep up the pride of ownership!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM

full reset is great if you have the time but a quick one like I did works just fine and easy. I usually do it before going to work in the morning....
Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Hey T-Roll. I had similar thoughts myself..

When I first got my 2002 E55 with 57,000 kilometers, it felt slow and the transmission was sluggish. I did come from a 2005 E55, but the car should have been quicker I felt. After a couple months, I tried to do a burn out and I couldn't. I knew something was up. As the ownership continued, the car became faster and started to adapt to my driving habits. I can light em up no problem, and the car is excellent. On the highway, the car is in heaven. It is so effortless in achieving high speeds without breaking a sweat. Aside from the sneaky ECU reset, sprintbooster is probably up your alley. This device "speeds" up the communication on a driive by wire excelerator like most newer cars. The power is there, even in today's standards, so fear not. Give your car some time. On a side note, I have had no major issues with my car. Typical dash pixel mix up and a blown rear brake light ($2.00).

Cheers!

P.S. I did find out the previous owner was an older woman who drove the car very little.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM

02 E55
Originally Posted by Swim Wagon

Aquasition
mtnhouse
T Roll
Tsquare

Let's hear about it.
Nothing so far, I'm just enjoying driving the car. I think I put 1400 miles in a monthI'm thinking of doing the AMS pulley and headers setup, xpipe and rims. I havent found the rims that I like. Any susggestion would be great.
I know some of the bayarea AMG guys wants to have a meet and greet somewhere in the bay when the weather gets better. Maybe after that I will get more ideas what mods/rims to get. For sure i will post something if there is something new to my ride.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E46 M3 1982 308GTSi 1972 P1800 1970 Charger 500
my ride

I am enjoying the car...a lot! I've been pushing it a little harder every time I drive it, and this thing is awesome. It's my DD for now. I'm begining to like it as much as the M3. The engine is strong and pulls like a locomotive if you drop one gear and push it...nice car. Lot's of car for the money...its a keeper for sure. As far as maintenance, so far I have fixed the corroded/broken antena (aerial) by replacing the rubber boot with an Euro model as discussed here before, and filled her up with Mobil 1 0W40 Euro formula and fresh filter just to make sure we are off to a good start. Only issue I am having is that I cannot get the garage door remote control to learn the code . None of the 3 little buttons beneath the rear view mirror took the code. I even tried the "learn" button on the garage motor..no biggie. Great car!! Cheers.