W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBH Header Feeler

Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
At least I'm honest, I for sure don't want rip anyone off. I was up front with what it would take and the investment I would have to make in order to get this job done. I would rather ask, then come here with a new product and say this is the price. Than get drilled on the price if I was just to build them and offer them for sale. It seems like the W210 would be a loosing venture from a business stand point.

First and fore most I know that what we do is not cheap. What I also know that the materials and build quality are second to none. There will be a very select few who would want a mod like this for there W210 E55. So that really does not constitute the jig.
Please choose your words carefully. I am being completely open an honest. I transcribed exactly what I had discussed with MAC. I understand yours is a smaller, specialty shop, and that's fine. MAC is a larger company that still does custom runs, and that's where I expect they get their savings.

There is nothing "magical" about W210 E55 Long-Tube headers only a very limited market size. They are similar to many other V-8 long block dimensions which have tons and tons of long tube header offerings in the proposed MAC price range but in header work, close rarely, if ever, cuts it and a custom design is, of course, needed.

MAC is only offering their capabilities and their pricing which reside in the far more competitive and incomparably larger domestic vehicle performance aftermarket.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 12-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Please choose your words carefully. I am being completely open an honest. I transcribed exactly what I had discussed with MAC. I understand yours is a smaller, specialty shop, and that's fine. MAC is a larger company that still does custom runs, and that's where I expect they get their savings.

There is nothing "magical" about W210 E55 Long-Tube headers only a very limited market size. They are similar to many other V-8 long block dimensions which have tons and tons of long tube header offerings in the proposed MAC price range but in header work, close rarely, if ever, cuts it and a custom design is, of course, needed.

MAC is only offering their capabilities and their pricing which reside in the far more competitive and incomparably larger domestic vehicle performance aftermarket.
So is possible to use other similar V8 header and modify to fit out car ?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is nothing "cheap" about MAC Products. They are good quality and make exhaust parts for less "exclusive" read less expensive, autos such as Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, classic muscle cars etc. And they have doing so for a long time.

Nothing against MBH, I am sure what is proposed here is top quality and materials.

Just because the usually exclusive and high-end MBZ aftermarket may be able to realize a price that is typical for less expensive vehicles with huge aftermarkets (Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc), does NOT mean that a part is cheap. It means someone other than the Euro-aftermarket shops can make products for our cars too and we get the benefits.
Thats call Mercedes Tax....... but damn its already 10 years old car ! how much of "Merc tax" can be ?!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Schweinhund-

Count me in if you have enough people on the list for an order. I am leaning towards the AMS shorties but if I can get hold of a pair of long tubes, that would be great
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55

There is something is something going on with the W210's and 208 CLKs that is different than a lot of cars. 1 being space. All these AMG's have limited space. The other is the 210 and 208 steering box. To snake around that cost money. As bending and bends cost more than straight tubing. How many bends will be needed is yet to be seen.Now after you get around that steering box you still have to make sure you can get the header on and off.

On every set of headers we build it is required that the steering shaft be removed for installation. just getting hands in there to reinstall the steering shaft is a pain in the butt.

With that said I'm going to build a set for my friend who owns Attwood European here in Arizona. So I will have a very clear idea as o what its going to take. Knowing that we put in over $1000 of material into each set of 55K headers and even more in 63 headers. I know for sure the material will be greater in the W210 vs the W211.

we don't price the header of anything we make based on the value of the car regardless if it cost. We base our pricing on materials and labor. The tricky part is factoring in the labor and costs to make the jig. By the time we have a set for production we will have about $10K invested into bringing a set to market.

Now you have to move so many sets of headers to offset your investment. In our situation I don't see that happening.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is something is something going on with the W210's and 208 CLKs that is different than a lot of cars. 1 being space. All these AMG's have limited space. The other is the 210 and 208 steering box. To snake around that cost money. As bending and bends cost more than straight tubing. How many bends will be needed is yet to be seen.Now after you get around that steering box you still have to make sure you can get the header on and off.

On every set of headers we build it is required that the steering shaft be removed for installation. just getting hands in there to reinstall the steering shaft is a pain in the butt.

With that said I'm going to build a set for my friend who owns Attwood European here in Arizona. So I will have a very clear idea as o what its going to take. Knowing that we put in over $1000 of material into each set of 55K headers and even more in 63 headers. I know for sure the material will be greater in the W210 vs the W211.

we don't price the header of anything we make based on the value of the car regardless if it cost. We base our pricing on materials and labor. The tricky part is factoring in the labor and costs to make the jig. By the time we have a set for production we will have about $10K invested into bringing a set to market.

Now you have to move so many sets of headers to offset your investment. In our situation I don't see that happening.
A quick question, how many hours or time need to invest to build one good quality header ? (Assuming you already have the material in hand and equipment) And how many hours to install ? oh other problem for California is the smog...... that's why some prefer shortie...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

W210 E55

I agree with everything you've said. It is likely we will not have enough even for a group buy at the lower price end from MAC.

I hope you post up on your custom job. It sounds like a good challenge with some really good horsepower gains.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
It is likely we will not have enough even for a group buy at the lower price end from MAC.
Might want to post up on the non AMG W210 page. The headers should fit the E430 also. Probably not a whole lot of interest over there but might round up a few.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

W210 E55
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Might want to post up on the non AMG W210 page. The headers should fit the E430 also. Probably not a whole lot of interest over there but might round up a few.
Good point!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E430 are about $7k to $10K top depending year, mileage and condition, I really doubt anybody will spend $2500 + $600 installation = $3K + and risking smog check for 30hp. So $3K with smog check problem for $10K car...... not sure worth it. IMO.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
E430 are about $7k to $10K top depending year, mileage and condition, I really doubt anybody will spend $2500 + $600 installation = $3K + and risking smog check for 30hp. So $3K with smog check problem for $10K car...... not sure worth it. IMO.
Yes I know. I was referring more to the $400 MAC group buy that was mentioned in this thread but probably still not many takers even at that price.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Yes I know. I was referring more to the $400 MAC group buy that was mentioned in this thread but probably still not many takers even at that price.

oh ok..... i misunderstood. In californiar i am not sure about the long tube header. I rather use shorties even with lower increase. Smog is PITA !