Sponsored by:

6000K LED H3 Fogs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
6000K LED H3 Fogs

Got them in the mail yesterday and threw them in.

• Decent quality
  • No resistor apparently so "light failure" comes up (I am inquiring about this with the vendor)
  • Not nearly as bright as the standard bulbs but still light the fogs up enough to looks really good. IMHO, the standard fogs didn't do much anyway.
  • Matching is very good with 6000K Xenon D2Rs and 5000K City Lights
  • BUT now the city light 5000Ks look off (close but still off)
  • Installation note: these are long and inside the fog housing is a forward metal light shield plate. You need to stick your finger in there and bend it back a bit. Since I knew the LEDs were not going to be that bright, I bent it all the way down, as far as it could go so that all of the LED would be used (ie none of it blocked).

Last edited by Schweinhund; 03-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
yea they look very kool , but I like to drive somtimes with just fogs and city lights on and thats a definet nono theres some out there with 28 leds , 36 leds IIRC but i scrapped them ..
Im curious as to since there is CREE LED they dont use those instead of SMD .. maybe burn to hot if left on too long but it works in flashlights cant see why not in foglight housings and the light it would throw would be krazy
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Red face

Argh! FAIL.. damn it.. mine will be here any day now. They are defiantly going back... Let me know what the vendor says and what exactly did you have to push forward. You mention that the light output is very low? (throw) how bad?

No resistor apparently so "light failure" comes up (I am inquiring about this with the vendor)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 PM

W210 E55
Originally Posted by armaniE55
Argh! FAIL.. damn it.. mine will be here any day now. They are defiantly going back... Let me know what the vendor says and what exactly did you have to push forward. You mention that the light output is very low? (throw) how bad?

No resistor apparently so "light failure" comes up (I am inquiring about this with the vendor)
Well, they look nearly fully lit. They are plenty bright for that. My original halogen bulbs never really did much anyway and these don't do any better. With the new very bright main D2R bulbs the fogs were nearly completely washed out anyway so color matching was my priority and they match great.

I suppose when I lock the car, and the fogs come on, the seem just about as bright as my old bulbs. Not quite but they light up nicely.

As for the resistor, I am looking into it. Even if the don't have one, I will find the right one to add in. Doesn't look too hard.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by armaniE55

really is no throw on the 3-4 sets ive tried from 9led to 36 shoot paid $50 one time for pair 36 led h3 and as nice as it looked didnt do anything . kinda like the city light just shines nicely with the others . But if you just want them to match the others they will look good . . and should be able to put resistors or gotta be no warning bulbs

for me biggest pain was jackin it up everytime only to leave them till next set came in and jack up again to change out .

The only way these type of bulbs will have Throw is if each led is like 5-6 each then you talkin EagleTec Throw lol

edit: just googled something for hell of it wonder what type output these suckers would have lol
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

if this guy was USA id deff grip these to try out
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Last edited by MBFLO; 03-29-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM

W210 E55
Well, the H3 fog LED's match great but are not very bright. They do light up the fogs JUST enough so that it looks good. That being said the factory fogs never did much for me anyway. I could see these LED's used in a brighter city light application. I ordered 6 ohm 50W resistors to hopefully take care of the light failure warning.

I am now looking into an HID H3 setup. In which case the fogs would become very bright and I could match the 6000K xenon headlights exactly.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[quote=Schweinhund;5132077]Well, the H3 fog LED's match great but are not very bright. They do light up the fogs JUST enough so that it looks good. That being said the factory fogs never did much for me anyway. I could see these LED's used in a brighter city light application. I ordered 6 ohm 50W resistors to hopefully take care of the light failure warning.

I am now looking into an HID H3 setup. In which case the fogs would become very bright and I could match the 6000K xenon headlights exactly.[/quote]

Just a little heads up .. See if you can find a reputed seller that sells with no error warning setups I think there is a forum sponsers that sells them .. It really is hit or miss because some have had the best luck while others seem to get some DOA or something blows out . Ive come to the conclusion if the name on the HID ballast says XENTEC either the ballast or bulbs will not last too long . I purchased 55W kit this time around for a little more then what the 35W kits cost but since last year I havnt had an issue with any bulbs or ballast burning out and with the 3-4 35W kits always seems to have something come up ..

Also when installing the HiD bulbs .. the seating of the HID bulb will be a little bit off also because the regualar H3 seats all smooth n fliush because it is thin metal backing compared to plastic on the HID . And the wires coming out the back of the HID bulb will interfere with the CAP that goes back on . Ive seen ppl drill a 1inch diamer whole and seal with a rubber plug , Me I splices the wires ran them through the vent on the cap and installed that way maybe have been a little harder to close to cap but it works and fits and no issues almost a year now so just letting you know if you are goin that route
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 PM

W210 E55
[quote=MBFLO;5132279][quote=Schweinhund;5132077]Well, the H3 fog LED's match great but are not very bright. They do light up the fogs JUST enough so that it looks good. That being said the factory fogs never did much for me anyway. I could see these LED's used in a brighter city light application. I ordered 6 ohm 50W resistors to hopefully take care of the light failure warning.

I am now looking into an HID H3 setup. In which case the fogs would become very bright and I could match the 6000K xenon headlights exactly.[/quote]

Just a little heads up .. See if you can find a reputed seller that sells with no error warning setups I think there is a forum sponsers that sells them .. It really is hit or miss because some have had the best luck while others seem to get some DOA or something blows out . Ive come to the conclusion if the name on the HID ballast says XENTEC either the ballast or bulbs will not last too long . I purchased 55W kit this time around for a little more then what the 35W kits cost but since last year I havnt had an issue with any bulbs or ballast burning out and with the 3-4 35W kits always seems to have something come up ..

Also when installing the HiD bulbs .. the seating of the HID bulb will be a little bit off also because the regualar H3 seats all smooth n fliush because it is thin metal backing compared to plastic on the HID . And the wires coming out the back of the HID bulb will interfere with the CAP that goes back on . Ive seen ppl drill a 1inch diamer whole and seal with a rubber plug , Me I splices the wires ran them through the vent on the cap and installed that way maybe have been a little harder to close to cap but it works and fits and no issues almost a year now so just letting you know if you are goin that route[/quote

Thanks for the heads up! Wise advice.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
xentec is garbage. However, I've used everything from oldschool kingwood ballasts (one bulb finally went out 7 years later), I've used DDM 55w (which didn't last long), and I'm using my own 55w kit now and its bright as hell and almost matches the factory headlight color. I care about visibility more than color, so I keep the OEM color.

btw, I've never had error codes using any HID kits on the w210.

As for install, I drilled the hole and shoved the grommet in between. Very clean install if you were to ever see it.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow I can barely read what I wrote previously .. lolol
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM

02 E55
desired_speed installed my fog lights last year and he did a very good and clean install. thanks dude

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
xentec is garbage. However, I've used everything from oldschool kingwood ballasts (one bulb finally went out 7 years later), I've used DDM 55w (which didn't last long), and I'm using my own 55w kit now and its bright as hell and almost matches the factory headlight color. I care about visibility more than color, so I keep the OEM color.

btw, I've never had error codes using any HID kits on the w210.

As for install, I drilled the hole and shoved the grommet in between. Very clean install if you were to ever see it.