Got an '02 on the way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
I'd like an update on how this goes. I think I might want to do the same. How much were the parts?
+1 Screws and pedals.... curious on how that will work. I would love to do this mod.

Armani
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
I'd like an update on how this goes. I think I might want to do the same. How much were the parts?
Will do. I didn't look too closely at cost, but I think the brake booster was around $400. I'll check what the whole job costs parts wise tomorrow. Very easy to do. My first time replacing a booster or master cylinder. Quoted time labour wise was 4 hours (off pelican). It took me less than 20 minutes to have it all pulled out. Two big things you'll need are a vacuum pump and a pressure bleeder. I'll have an update tomorrow for you.

On a side-note, if you are looking to firm up your brakes a bit, buy some SS brake lines. They can be found anywhere really. RENNtech has some SS lines as part of an upgrade package. Otherwise, buy some off Tire Rack. I would have done this, but I am upgrading to Stoptechs this winter, so I didn't feel it necessary to throw away $200 on lines that I would only use for a couple months.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by armaniE55
+1 Screws and pedals.... curious on how that will work. I would love to do this mod.

Armani
The pedals do not screw on, they bolt on. They have two to four small allen head bolts with nuts that slide on the backs on the pedals. The pedals are very simple. Should only take you a half hour or so with a drill.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
Huh, well I am glad that somebody else put them on mine! Not one of my favorite jobs, albeit easy as pie.

They make a couple styes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENZ-W124-w2...#ht_3760wt_938

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foot-AT-Peda...ht_7081wt_1405

I think the top listing, like mine, fits better because you don't have to drill on the parking brake pedal. Just pop off the old and pop on the new.
This auction is for One Automatic Pedal peds set for Mercedes benz W124 / w202 / w203 / w140 / w208 / w210 / w211 / w220 with AMG logo-1set.
New Interior look for your Mercedes Benz models.
AMG Style Pedal pad with rest pedal .
Made of highest quality Aluminum finished and AMG Style Logo engraved in the top surface.
This pedal pads are Cover for your OEM carpet and simply install on your Bmw model. <------------------
Non slip Mat with Black rubber buttons.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 PM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
OEM Aluminium Pedals

Originally Posted by armaniE55

Armani
I just went and buy the OEM ones that comes with the W211 E55. They are more expensive but no drilling or screws. Just slide your old rubber pads out and put the new ones in. I bought mine from Germanparts on eBay. I also told the guy to include the emergency brake pedal for extra cost.

Here's the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mercedes...83059f&vxp=mtr

Last edited by snooozie; 07-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55 AMG, 1999 E55 AMG , Audi allroad 2.7T sold ,08 Jeep SRT8 sold, 06 TBSS Sold
Originally Posted by snooozie
I just went and buy the OEM ones that comes with the W211 E55. They are more expensive but no drilling or screws. Just slide your old rubber pads out and put the new ones in. I bought mine from Germanparts on eBay. I also told the guy to include the emergency brake pedal for extra cost.

Here's the link.
Great find Im Going with these .
Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by snooozie

Here's the link.
I believe they make one for the dead pedal. I believe it is from a SLK or SL, may need to make some mods but I believe it will work.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG, 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer, 2007 Yamaha Warrior XV1700, 1967 Mercury Cougar
Will do. I didn't look too closely at cost, but I think the brake booster was around $400. I'll check what the whole job costs parts wise tomorrow. Very easy to do. My first time replacing a booster or master cylinder. Quoted time labour wise was 4 hours (off pelican). It took me less than 20 minutes to have it all pulled out. Two big things you'll need are a vacuum pump and a pressure bleeder. I'll have an update tomorrow for you.

On a side-note, if you are looking to firm up your brakes a bit, buy some SS brake lines. They can be found anywhere really. RENNtech has some SS lines as part of an upgrade package. Otherwise, buy some off Tire Rack. I would have done this, but I am upgrading to Stoptechs this winter, so I didn't feel it necessary to throw away $200 on lines that I would only use for a couple months.
Can I have your old brake booster??? I have a BAS release switch fault. :-D
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrndnMthws
Can I have your old brake booster??? I have a BAS release switch fault. :-D
Sure, just pay for shipping. PM me your info
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM

2001 E55 AMG, 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer, 2007 Yamaha Warrior XV1700, 1967 Mercury Cougar
Sure, just pay for shipping. PM me your info
PM sent
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 PM

PM sent
Got it. I will get back to you tomorrow with the shipping quote.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Got it. I will get back to you tomorrow with the shipping quote.
score!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM

score!
I had one of my tech's get it sent out to you today. I will PM you the tracking info when I get over to my other shop later.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Just as an update, I installed the new booster/master cylinder in about an hour including bleed time. The pressure still is not satisfactory, so I ordered a new ABS pump ($950 from Worldpac). Should be in tomorrow. I'll have to toss it in, as I have a dyno appointment on Thursday to get a baseline before I start going mod crazy. Next week I am having the car sent off to my fabricator to have the spare tire well cut out and a flat panel installed in it's place, as well as the front spring mounts reinforced. I will post up pictures as things progress!

Edit: I am going to run dual Eisenmann race mufflers at the back, which is why I need the tire well removed. Additionally, I never carry around the spare tire, jack, etc in my car due to the weight savings albeit minute.

Last edited by MB_Fahrer; 07-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
How fast are things things at the track N/A?
I ran a few 13.5s when I was stock with heavy *** 19s, bald all seasons, and headwind.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Just as an update, I installed the new booster/master cylinder in about an hour including bleed time. The pressure still is not satisfactory, so I ordered a new ABS pump ($950 from Worldpac). Should be in tomorrow. I'll have to toss it in, as I have a dyno appointment on Thursday to get a baseline before I start going mod crazy. Next week I am having the car sent off to my fabricator to have the spare tire well cut out and a flat panel installed in it's place, as well as the front spring mounts reinforced. I will post up pictures as things progress!

Edit: I am going to run dual Eisenmann race mufflers at the back, which is why I need the tire well removed. Additionally, I never carry around the spare tire, jack, etc in my car due to the weight savings albeit minute.

Ricky,you're the man! You're taking a hit for all of us. Please let us know if after changing the ABS pump,the mushy brake pedal feel that these cars have will improve considerably. To be honest with you,I doubt it,but you never know...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Neanicu888
Ricky,you're the man! You're taking a hit for all of us. Please let us know if after changing the ABS pump,the mushy brake pedal feel that these cars have will improve considerably. To be honest with you,I doubt it,but you never know...
I doubt it as well, but if it doesn't fix it, then I will change to the Motul RBF600 fluid. The RBF600 works wonders in my C220. The brake pedal is rock hard--as it should be. If that does no good, then I will try stainless lines, and if that fails, then I will just let the car sit until I have the Stoptechs. I realize that it will never have the same feel of my race cars; however, it is completely unacceptable as is.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Originally Posted by tsquare
I believe they make one for the dead pedal. I believe it is from a SLK or SL, may need to make some mods but I believe it will work.
Dont worry or believe and NO MODs.....i bought them after i got my car, a year and half ago and I am still having these aluminium pads from MB. The difference that you will see is the quality these are made compare to the chinese made ones. And also YES....the price.....they are more expensive then your aftermarket ones.

Dont forget to get the matching one for the brake pedal.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM

I doubt it as well, but if it doesn't fix it, then I will change to the Motul RBF600 fluid. The RBF600 works wonders in my C220. The brake pedal is rock hard--as it should be. If that does no good, then I will try stainless lines, and if that fails, then I will just let the car sit until I have the Stoptechs. I realize that it will never have the same feel of my race cars; however, it is completely unacceptable as is.
I gotta tell you,these AMG brakes are Amazing once you pass the mushiness and they catch,almost as good as those on my 996TT. But you have to realize the calipers are a 2 piston setup,Porsche uses 6. I believe there's a Brembo upgrade for these cars,it's expensive,but I think that will improve the brakes a lot. Also the SS lines will give an improvement,I just did the Goodridge lines,but not to the extent people are raving,it's barely noticeable. Also,they make them too long that they sit funny,especially if you want to lower your car. I would go with the custom made ones,where you measure them and order the length.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Neanicu888
I gotta tell you,these AMG brakes are Amazing once you pass the mushiness and they catch,almost as good as those on my 996TT. But you have to realize the calipers are a 2 piston setup,Porsche uses 6. I believe there's a Brembo upgrade for these cars,it's expensive,but I think that will improve the brakes a lot. Also the SS lines will give an improvement,I just did the Goodridge lines,but not to the extent people are raving,it's barely noticeable. Also,they make them too long that they sit funny,especially if you want to lower your car. I would go with the custom made ones,where you measure them and order the length.
Glad to hear the SS lines are a waste. I will just buy the Stoptech BBK for the front and rear. I am not in some huge urgent rush to go drive the car. I've got plenty of other's to keep me entertained while the E55 gets sorted out. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated

On a sidenote, MB should be so lucky to make a car anywhere near as good (feedback wise) as Porsche does. Porsche steering, shifting, braking, throttle, etc has to be the best I've experienced in any car. Even over my Ferraris. VW somehow has managed to turn their overpriced, over-optioned Beetles into great cars...not quite sure how they manage when you consider just how terrible any Audi is.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to hear the SS lines are a waste. I will just buy the Stoptech BBK for the front and rear. I am not in some huge urgent rush to go drive the car. I've got plenty of other's to keep me entertained while the E55 gets sorted out. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated

On a sidenote, MB should be so lucky to make a car anywhere near as good (feedback wise) as Porsche does. Porsche steering, shifting, braking, throttle, etc has to be the best I've experienced in any car. Even over my Ferraris. VW somehow has managed to turn their overpriced, over-optioned Beetles into great cars...not quite sure how they manage when you consider just how terrible any Audi is.
I've got the Stoptech SS brake lines and they are the perfect length. I noticed a difference when I installed them but that could also have something to do with the ATE super blue race brake fluid I installed at the same time.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I've got the Stoptech SS brake lines and they are the perfect length. I noticed a difference when I installed them but that could also have something to do with the ATE super blue race brake fluid I installed at the same time.
Superblue is great. I used to use that, but I have since improved my driving ability which has made it useless to me. Lol. The Motul RBF6xx line is far better, but you have to bleed more frequently due to water absorption.

Is your pedal firm with little travel, or somewhat firm with travel to the stop? Mine is the latter of the two. Driving does not increase pressure nor does pumping the pedal.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 PM

I'm running ATE super blue too...still no difference.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Superblue is great. I used to use that, but I have since improved my driving ability which has made it useless to me. Lol. The Motul RBF6xx line is far better, but you have to bleed more frequently due to water absorption.

Is your pedal firm with little travel, or somewhat firm with travel to the stop? Mine is the latter of the two. Driving does not increase pressure nor does pumping the pedal.
I looked into the Motul and the Castrol SRF but the hygroscopic nature of the 2 scared me away. Not into changing the brake fluid once a year but for racing I would use either in a heart beat. ATE was a good middle ground for my purpose.

My brakes are firm immediately with little travel. I can't compare them to a Porsche as I have never driven one but if I hit the brakes hard it will rip your face off
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 PM

I looked into the Motul and the Castrol SRF but the hygroscopic nature of the 2 scared me away. Not into changing the brake fluid once a year but for racing I would use either in a heart beat. ATE was a good middle ground for my purpose.

My brakes are firm immediately with little travel. I can't compare them to a Porsche as I have never driven one but if I hit the brakes hard it will rip your face off

Castrol in a MB just doesn't sound right--glad to hear you went with the superblue. It's a great all purpose brake fluid.

It may just be my ABS pump. I'll find out tomorrow. It's very reassuring hearing you say your brakes are firm. All I've read to date is how mushy they are in the entire 210 lineup.

Cheers,
Ricky

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got an '02 on the way