Sponsored by:

How many active members driving W210 E55's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E55 AMG
Where is the ECU in my ride?

Hey, does anyone know where the ECU is located in the 2000 E55 AMG? Trying to find its ID number. Is it under the front seat or in the engine compartment with the TCU?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
I'm here

newbie to the site, and a new E55 owner. I've read the complaints about the lack of participation here, and I get it too. We own a rare car. I would like to see the related forums here as a resource of information.

benzokirk
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by benzokirk
..... I've read the complaints about the lack of participation here, and I get it too. We own a rare car........
benzokirk
I think the content of your statement reveals part of the problem regarding the amount of participation in this forum. The W210 E55 AMG is a relatively rare car given that it was only in production from 1999 - 2002 and only a certain percentage of these were destined for the US market, the place where most of the forum members reside. Additionally, I've never seen an E50 or an E60 in the States, so posts from their owners would be downright rare! Those models may never have been exported from Germany to the States, unless they trickled in as "grey market" goods. However, sheer ownership numbers are not what is in question here, is it? You're referring to amount of enthusiasm and camaraderie of existing menbers, I think. I've found in my brief time in this forum that if you have an interesting question or comment, members readily respond. Dumb questions (like the one I posted creating this thread) will often go unanswered mainly because a simple search would have provided an answer without wasting forum members' time. (BTW, I could have been flamed and was not.) Benzokirk, you will discover that this forum is a mellow and informative place and is an excellent place to hang your hat!
Regards,
Wile E. Coyote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
However, sheer ownership numbers are not what is in question here, is it? You're referring to amount of enthusiasm and camaraderie of existing menbers, I think.
You're absolutely right, Wile E., and had I taken the time to read the entire thread, I would've seen that what I mentioned wasn't the sum total of sentiment here. Thanks for the welcoming words, I feel at home already!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by benzokirk
newbie to the site, and a new E55 owner. I've read the complaints about the lack of participation here, and I get it too. We own a rare car. I would like to see the related forums here as a resource of information.

benzokirk
----I love this forum. I love my car. I've gotten great help from just searching the threads. Most problems I come across have happened to others before me. So there's not much 'new' content. Most have already been addressed. Still, I'm usually on here daily. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
My car just flipped 100,000 miles a few days ago. Still going strong. New tires on the fronts and rears in the last 5k miles. I also finally changed out the front and rear brakes.

I believe from looking at all the service records (I bought from original owner) that both were completely original. Almost 100k miles out of the original brakes! The front pads were almost down to the wear sensors and the rotors were so thin, they made a howling noise, but they were not warped at all. The rears squealed like crazy and I was worried about metal/metal, but surprisingly, the pads had significant thickness. The rotors were thin though.

Anyway, after ~$800 in parts (all 4 OEM rotors and Pagid pads) and about 6 hours (taking my time) of my labor, the brakes feel better than they have since I've owned the car. From the time I bought the car, I was not impressed by the brake feel. There was about 1-2 inches of dead travel, then they grabbed really hard. With the new brakes, there is less than 1/2 inch of dead travel and there is a progressive grab. Much easier to modulate. I love the feel now. Hopefully these replacements will last as long as the originals.

Next up, I need to replace the plugs (and possibly the wires) and change the transmission fluid. Probably look at flushing the coolant and the PS fluid.

So, 15 months and 22k miles of ownership; Only one real problem that has come up (other than tires/brakes) was the brake light switch. I had the classic triple warning lights come on one day (ABS/BAS/ESP). I also noticed my brake lights were on continuously! Wasn't hard to diagnose that one. $18 part, 15 minute fix. Easier than expected.

Still planning to hold onto this car for several more years.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Im not that active of a member here but I do like to read the threads. My E55 is my DD and I love it!!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 AM

mercedes e55 amg w210
Everyday for the last 3 years.

Great car, bought in Houston with 52k now it has 87k. runs like a champ
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
New to the forum........

It has been extremely helpful for research on the car, and when I've posted with the exception of one, I have gotten an answer. I'll be hanging around for quite a while as I will be keeping this car for a long time.

Dan
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Great listserve

I drive a 99 E55 on a daily basis. Have had the car for four years which have been generally trouble free. The car has never left me on the side of the road. Any niggling issues have been dealt with in detail on this service by one of the really great guys who are more mechanically inclined than I am.
Worst things about my car: rust, tight suspension when going over bumps which contacts wheel well and tire, and low city gas mileage (even when not driving aggressively).
Best things: looks beautiful, drives like a charm, no rattles, and . . . fast when you need it.
Mine is over 160K, and I'm contemplating a respray at some point rather than getting another car. My choice of another car would be a mid '00s SL 500.
I have an '84 380SL for nice summer days, and this has been utterly reliable for over 10 years. My wife looks good in it.
Thanks to the guys who have made so many kind contributions to this listserve in the past!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by javiermgon
Great car, bought in Houston with 52k now it has 87k. runs like a champ
Your ride has very low miles! You won't need to change the spark plugs for another 13 K miles! Got mine done to the tune of $300+ labor, plus cost of 16 plugs! Anyway, you've got a sweet ride that must run like a bat out of Hell!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 AM

2008 E63 AMG
I haven't been an active poster, but read a lot of the info within. I have been without a computer for many months and trying to reply on your phone isn't fun. I just drove my car from AL to CA due to rejoining the military and being stationed here once again. I bought my car ('01 CA car) from the second owner with 16K miles and have driven it daily with just over 151K miles today. I've LOVED every second I've spent in the car! I had the camshafts replaced under warranty. The only things I have replaced are two window regulators and the MAF. Other than that, just tires, oil changes and fuel. I was worried about maintenance when I bought it, but it has proven extremely reliable. I plan to keep driving it to at least 200K miles...unless something unforeseen happens. Best car I've ever owned...bar none!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_Drvr
I was worried about maintenance when I bought it, but it has proven extremely reliable. I plan to keep driving it to at least 200K miles...unless something unforeseen happens. Best car I've ever owned...bar none!
The need for the camshafts' replacement seem out of the ordinary, but everything else probably rings bells with other W210 E55 AMG owners. One more thing that might happen is your crankshaft position sensor may die. That is unless the Kraut engineers got behind the problem before your ride was built. And, IMHO, you're probably good for 350 K miles before you need to find another AMG to fill the void! By then, your wheels may get officially sanctioned as a "Classic" and you'll be forced to hang on to it and still procure another AMG. Hey, it could happen! And now that you have computer access, you know what to do.
Best wishes,
Wile E. Coyote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 AM

2008 E63 AMG
Thanks for the reply...yes, the camshafts were a fluke. The dealership here in Santa Barbara said AMG had a bad batch go out and they were instructed to replace them under warranty. I'm familiar with the window regulators going out and the instrument cluster pixels failing. The main cluster was never a problem, but it's nice to be able to read both side clusters again.

I've read/heard multiple times on here that each AMG was/is built for 300K miles prior to any major repairs. I'll gladly take them up on the offer. I'd like to do the headlight swap to get the clears on it. They really do shave years off the looks. I've already got LED brake lights. I'm further debating on headers - have to decide how much longer I will commit to keeping it before I drop the coin on them. Glad to be back on the computer! Cheers
Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_Drvr
I've read/heard multiple times on here that each AMG was/is built for 300K miles prior to any major repairs. I'll gladly take them up on the offer. I'd like to do the headlight swap to get the clears on it. They really do shave years off the looks.
There must be a reason there are so many Mercedes Benz used as taxis in the EU! The W210s our AMGs were built upon were already designed to be very reliable for a long time. Perhaps the performance engineers at AMG were forced to take some oath committing them to upholding that original design goal. "ἐπὶ δηλήσει δὲ καὶ ἀδικίῃ εἴρξειν." Oh, you can't read ancient Greek, can you? (Just kidding!) My point is that AMG's re-fitment goal number one had to have been: "First, do no harm", since the cars we still drive every day are every bit as reliable (perhaps more) as the unmodified Mercedes that AMG performance tuned. Rambling on, 300 K +miles will be an easy push for you with a little TLC!
As to a headlight assembly swap, I had planned upon that until I found out what is really involved. Did you know that the AMG W210 light assembly requires the entire bumper be removed? I settled for a 3M lens cleaning kit and a Xenon bulb swap. Check out the forum's garage and visit the "Silver Hammer" to view some cosmetic and other modification (ECU, etc.) ideas, if you like.
Also, I checked the website you listed on your post and am confused by your mention of a possible pulley change. I was under the impression that pulley swaps were more or less the domain of supercharged engines. If that isn't correct, please let me know!

Keep rolling!
Wile E. Coyote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
still have it.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by E55 KEV
still have it.
Oh sh*t! Low and behold! The E55 Lordth has spoken!

Game ova!!

/thread
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
Oh sh*t! Low and behold! The E55 Lordth has spoken!

Game ova!!

/thread
Damn Jam, u outted me, the jig is up. Now my cover is blown!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!

Damn Jam, u outted me, the jig is up. Now my cover is blown!
As if you ever had any cover to begin with.

What's going on my man?! How's life in the transit lane?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
As if you ever had any cover to begin with.

What's going on my man?! How's life in the transit lane?
Hey my Man. Everything is OK. Transit lane still the same - blurs by in the E55!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Hey my Man. Everything is OK. Transit lane still the same - blurs by in the E55!
Baller always ballin!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 AM

2000 E55
I have a 2000 model and love the car!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 05_raven
I have a 2000 model and love the car!
Well, dude, lay on the brags on how your car drags! ; ) Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. Tell us about it, if you like.
Wile E. Coyote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM

2000 E55
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Well, dude, lay on the brags on how your car drags! ; ) Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. Tell us about it, if you like.
Wile E. Coyote
I bought the car wrecked from Copart and rebuilt it. The frame needed about $800 worth of frame straightening to get the hood and driver side fender to fit correctly.

It was a blast taking the car apart, then putting it back together.

Previous owner installed diamond audio separates & subs with ads amps.

MB parts are fairly reasonably priced going through Aristocrat Motors. Our local dealership, however only sells at list price to the general public.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 PM

w210 e55
Long time lurker, first time poster. Purchased with 90k 2 years ago, now 136k and counting on a 99 model and loving every second of it........

Reminds me, I dont have any record of a trans fluid service, I should probably get around to doing it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How many active members driving W210 E55's