W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise - not lifters - transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG. Nothing else matters.
Ticking noise - not lifters - transmission?

Hi Y'all,
OK, '01 E55 AMG, 152K, runs great. It has a few problems that I've found fixes for here on the forum. Thank you so much! Now comes something I've searched hours for and can't seen to find anything about here.
A ticking noise has started emanating from under the car. It's in sync with the engine RPMs. It's relatively light, not unlike a lifter, but also a bit deeper sounding. I got under there and tried to locate and it sounds like its coming from some where in/around the transmission. This is my first MB so I didn't know there was no dip stick in the trany tube - top says "Mercedes Workshop Only" hahaha....yeah, I'm embarrassed. Any way, so what's the deal with that?!
I will be happy to do my own reading if someone would just point me to a good thread, if there is one, and a good thread on servicing the tranny would be nice too.
Any direction or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Hopefully your tranny was serviced at some point. They were originally "lifetime", but then MB changed that.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Strigoi
Hopefully your tranny was serviced at some point. They were originally "lifetime", but then MB changed that.
Well, thanks for the hope, but, makes no difference now. I can do that but would sure appreciate some guideance before I get started. Can you link me to a good DIY tranny service post? I'm also working on my alternate vehicle and my truck (3rd vehicle) is in the shop, so im about to be on foot if I don't get something going quickly. I can't start on the Benz till I get the other on the road so I'll be checking in occasionally.

Thanks, Strigoi

Doug
Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Okay, here's a little more info: It's less like a tick, more like a clatter. It happens in any gear, forward or or reverse. Sitting still or moving. The only time I can't hear it is when leaving a stop, accelerating, easy or hard, but after about 20 mph or so, road noise drounds it out anyway. Then, at that speed, when I lift off the throttle (engine deceleration) it's more pronounced. Like I said before, it's in sync with the engine RPM. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate anything with the final drive system because it's stationary when the car is. It's gotta be in the rotating (engine on) parts of the transmission, right?
Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?
Hello?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo IX, 2001 E55 AMG, 2004 E55 AMG, 2012 P31 C63 AMG, 2005 S2000
Can you post a video?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 PM

I will try tomorrow. I've been working on the other hoopty till just now. I'll have to learn how to post a vid and see how it goes. Hope the sound comes through good.

Good idea. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
If that clicky sound comes from the tranny side, it could be the torque converter or Valve body,

these two’s could cause some clicky sound, try to check them....!!

ZAYED,,
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Well, I recorded a vid on my phone but can't get it pasted in here. It's an mp4 file and that extension is not available from what I can tell. My crappy laptop won't play the audio right either which could be the way my phone recorded it. I just don't know. It's very possible I just don't know what the heck I'm doing. So, if you're interested, I can email it to someone who maybe could post it for me?
PM me an email and I'll be happy to try to send it to ya.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo IX, 2001 E55 AMG, 2004 E55 AMG, 2012 P31 C63 AMG, 2005 S2000
You can try uploading it to youtube and then just posting the link up.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
I'd check the exhaust manifold for cracks or a bad gasket. You can check for black soot if you suspect a bad gasket.

Chasing noises down can be a bit of a pain... Invest in a mechanics stethoscope, it'll save you a lot of time and trouble.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Talking

Okay, I isloated it to the exhaust. It sounds like something is flopping around in the um, part that looks like a smaller version of a cat that's about half way back. The cats are right behind the headers, right? Or does it have two cats on each side? Any way, that's where it is. I beat it with a big hammer on the flange just to give it some vibration and I could hear stuff shaking around in there and the clatter got quieter but it's still there. So, looks like I need to replace the front half of the system. What can Y'all recommend? I'm interested in getting the most bang for the buck so value but not necessarily cheap.
In addition, I'm looking for a good place to get the other parts I need: breaks, console switches, sensor for the seat (SRS light is on), um, enblems, cup holder, aaaaannnnd some other stuff

I really appreciate your input, folks.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Sounds like you were tapping on the secondary cats.
They can just be removed. Don't really need them. Most W210 exhaust mods include removing these secondary cats (and the resonator) and replacing them with an X-pipe. Search the site for threads on this topic. They are everywhere...

Also might try to see if it as one of the heat shields that is loose. It may vibrate at certain frequencies and sound like a ticking sound or metallic rattle.

Parts: try this place...www.autohausaz.com
Attached Thumbnails Ticking noise - not lifters - transmission?-dsc04644-copy.jpg   Ticking noise - not lifters - transmission?-dsc04678-copy.jpg  

Last edited by cudaized; 11-06-2013 at 12:00 AM.