W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge issues

Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Fuel gauge issues

If I fill fuel to full, my initial1/4 reads 21 gallons, distance 265ish. If I drive the first quarter tank, I get the low fuel light flash, sometimes the check engine light with 0455 gross leak. I clear code and it does not return the rest of that fill up. I then check distance to empty and it will read 300-325 guesstimate until empty.

I have cleaned fuel cap and even flipped gasket. It doesn't look worn looks decent.

I have had this issue since buying the car back in June 2015. Previous owner claimed the same issue.

I recently installed a new fuel filter to help the system out but no change. Didn't figure it would help but I knew it wouldn't hurt.

Yes, I am sure it isn't the fuel gauge at fault.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Fuel gauge SENDER unit in this cars some time fail and produce this issue. I replace it a lot in the shop with this fail in the 00+. But please check all the purge system hoses first before replace the sender unit. maybe you have some one cracked. and check too if the purge valve (under hood, driver side with some white letters MOT). check with the engine running if you hear some ticking noise from it. if you hear it they are good, if not maybe its died

Fabio Daniel
Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Fuel gauge SENDER unit in this cars some time fail and produce this issue. I replace it a lot in the shop with this fail in the 00+. But please check all the purge system hoses first before replace the sender unit. maybe you have some one cracked. and check too if the purge valve (under hood, driver side with some white letters MOT). check with the engine running if you hear some ticking noise from it. if you hear it they are good, if not maybe its died

Fabio Daniel
Thanks. I cleaned it out as described on this forum. Not planning to fill up full anytime soon but wondered if sending unit or charcoal canister or something else.