Sponsored by:

Purchase price input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A4
Purchase price input

Hey all, Ive been on and off shopping for a W210. Market on these seems to be hit or miss, they are also few and far between. Found this one recently, price on it seems high to me, I'm thinking more in the realm of 10K. It looks good, has that quarter panel rust, but also has all paperwork, and otherwise in good condition. Although, I wished it had nav. I inquired, and was told, more or less that they are not budging on the price. thoughts?

Matt.

https://www.mclarenphl.com/used/Merc...cf59167d5b.htm
Old 10-16-2020, 04:21 PM

Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
w210 E55
I would say that is a fair price, make sure you bring a trans dipstick or have it looked at, at a trusted mercedes repair shop. But its nice and thats good mileage, I just turned 150,000k in my 2002. Also it doesnt have the horrible two tone interior and 2001s are the rarest.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:16 AM

A4
Thanks for the input, I understand its a dealer, and my estimate may have been low, prices seem to vary at times. What makes the 01s rare? Just the production numbers?

Matt

still feel the price is on the high side, most ive seen on BAT near this number are sub 100k mile cars.

Last edited by broham; 10-17-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
That's an average price for something that low of mileage and that clean. Gotta ask yourself, do you want a museum piece? Or, something that your toddler can spill food crumbs in and still turn discerning heads while out getting coffee. I believe cars were made to be driven and make stories; my car would never fetch top dollar at an auction, but it drives fantastic and I can drive my family to the beach or the countryside for a hike and a picnic without feeling like I've ruined it. I sought out a lower priced example knowing full well I'd be replacing things like control arms, subframe bushings, engine mounts etc simply on account of the age and that I'd be driving it 10K+ a year, rain or shine. The drivetrains will easily do 2-4x the mileage that car has if well cared for; mine just turned 190k and burns no oil.

Regardless of mileage, it's 20 years old. There's going to probably be some brittle rubber, weepy gaskets, dead pixels/bulbs and quirks here and there no matter how much you pay or how little miles you seek out. You'll probably end up PM'ing or having to replace some things under the car, so what. The cars themselves are great: simple, lots of cheap service parts, stealth enough not to attract attention and fast enough not to be embarrassed around town, but you already knew that.

To me, visible rust is a big pass because I've found there is almost always more, usually worse, that's hiding somewhere you can't see.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:31 PM

Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
w210 E55
Originally Posted by v8sonly
That's an average price for something that low of mileage and that clean. Gotta ask yourself, do you want a museum piece? Or, something that your toddler can spill food crumbs in and still turn discerning heads while out getting coffee. I believe cars were made to be driven and make stories; my car would never fetch top dollar at an auction, but it drives fantastic and I can drive my family to the beach or the countryside for a hike and a picnic without feeling like I've ruined it. I sought out a lower priced example knowing full well I'd be replacing things like control arms, subframe bushings, engine mounts etc simply on account of the age and that I'd be driving it 10K+ a year, rain or shine. The drivetrains will easily do 2-4x the mileage that car has if well cared for; mine just turned 190k and burns no oil.

Regardless of mileage, it's 20 years old. There's going to probably be some brittle rubber, weepy gaskets, dead pixels/bulbs and quirks here and there no matter how much you pay or how little miles you seek out. You'll probably end up PM'ing or having to replace some things under the car, so what. The cars themselves are great: simple, lots of cheap service parts, stealth enough not to attract attention and fast enough not to be embarrassed around town, but you already knew that.

To me, visible rust is a big pass because I've found there is almost always more, usually worse, that's hiding somewhere you can't see.
My car has the rust
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
I paid about $6k for mine with about 120k on it but like v8sonly I had to do a good amount of work to get the car looking presentable and running well. Speaking of rust I replaced the front and rear doors and front fender on the passenger side because of rust.

Last edited by illest; 10-19-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:06 PM

2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Yikes! The guy I bought mine from was blown away that I brought drive on ramps to get under the car before purchase, and I spent an hour and a half in an LA apartment parking lot going over every inch I could, the car had spent the vast majority of it's life in NY and FL. Only thing I missed was pulling the rear seat bottom to check the battery compartment...which, guess what!? Hadn't been vented properly, so there was acid buildup something awful and a ton of surface rust starting there.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
$14K is way too high in my opinion. I sold my last 2002 110K miles for $9K ! and it has parking sensors, seat cooler/heater, birdeye wood steering wheel and 2 tone interior in perfect shape.
I guess W210 is increasing sales value. I honestly rather spend $14K in 2005/2006 E55 instead, better value and performance in my opinion. I always love the look of W210 but don't think it worth $14K.
You might need other $2k to $3K to make it right.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 AM

A4
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
$14K is way too high in my opinion. I sold my last 2002 110K miles for $9K ! and it has parking sensors, seat cooler/heater, birdeye wood steering wheel and 2 tone interior in perfect shape.
I guess W210 is increasing sales value. I honestly rather spend $14K in 2005/2006 E55 instead, better value and performance in my opinion. I always love the look of W210 but don't think it worth $14K.
You might need other $2k to $3K to make it right.
Agree with all of this. We had a 211 55 before, just over time Ive grown to love the 210 look more. The car is really a 10k or less car, Not sure if he'll come down that much but we'll see. Having a PPI done up the road, interested to see what they say. I really wanted one with the nav, maybe cooled seats. Those options seem to be few and far between, mainly the cooled seats. Im sure you all know these cars are not super plentiful, listed ones could be all trash or okay. Im loosing steam on missing out on some, which is why I bit on this one currently.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:05 PM

2002 E55, 2003 ML500
I paid $6500 for mine, 159k on the clock, no rust, $4k in recent service records, so I certainly think that's 'high'. But, I think the problem that will start to manifest itself now, is that once cars like this hit that magic $5-8k range, any hoon for brains 20-something can buy one and the potential for wrecking, or just shoddy up-keep goes through the roof. Since they made less of these in a year than Honda makes Civics in a week, the attrition rate accelerates once they hit that magic price point and the solid examples still worth buying are starting to appreciate quickly. I can barely find something I'd consider buying for under $10k locally (SF Bay to LA area), but 4 years ago I was buying towards the high end (I'd see them for $4-5k in rougher shape). Shoot, the guy I bought mine from told me he refused sale to 2 guys that were exactly what I described above (1 even admitted to wrecking his first E55) and the guy just couldn't bring himself to sell the car to someone who was just gonna trash it.

I will say, 1 friend of mine has the nav unit, and IMO it's garbage so I wouldn't seek one out. I'll take a good single DIN Alpine and iPhone nav any day. Another friend, had the cooled seats, and I could barely tell they were on. He had the parking radar too and that seemed like a joke. I'm glad I got one with 'no options', but to each their own.

For that asking price you can definitely get 'more' car in something else, like a W211 for example no question about that. And, if you want to go win drag races, anything with a blower stock wins lol. But, the driving feel of the W210 is quite a bit different, slightly more analog, and as a car it's just waaaaay simpler to upkeep. I could've bought either, but I wanted the older, simpler option as I've got 2 little ones and am a cheap skate. Best of luck in your quest broham!
Old 10-23-2020, 01:08 PM

A4
Originally Posted by v8sonly
I paid $6500 for mine, 159k on the clock, no rust, $4k in recent service records, so I certainly think that's 'high'. But, I think the problem that will start to manifest itself now, is that once cars like this hit that magic $5-8k range, any hoon for brains 20-something can buy one and the potential for wrecking, or just shoddy up-keep goes through the roof. Since they made less of these in a year than Honda makes Civics in a week, the attrition rate accelerates once they hit that magic price point and the solid examples still worth buying are starting to appreciate quickly. I can barely find something I'd consider buying for under $10k locally (SF Bay to LA area), but 4 years ago I was buying towards the high end (I'd see them for $4-5k in rougher shape). Shoot, the guy I bought mine from told me he refused sale to 2 guys that were exactly what I described above (1 even admitted to wrecking his first E55) and the guy just couldn't bring himself to sell the car to someone who was just gonna trash it.

I will say, 1 friend of mine has the nav unit, and IMO it's garbage so I wouldn't seek one out. I'll take a good single DIN Alpine and iPhone nav any day. Another friend, had the cooled seats, and I could barely tell they were on. He had the parking radar too and that seemed like a joke. I'm glad I got one with 'no options', but to each their own.

For that asking price you can definitely get 'more' car in something else, like a W211 for example no question about that. And, if you want to go win drag races, anything with a blower stock wins lol. But, the driving feel of the W210 is quite a bit different, slightly more analog, and as a car it's just waaaaay simpler to upkeep. I could've bought either, but I wanted the older, simpler option as I've got 2 little ones and am a cheap skate. Best of luck in your quest broham!

Well said. I had a 211 55 for maybe a year. I initially loved the powertrain, but after I got more used to it, I began to feel it was missing out on many driving dynamics. Very much disliked the airmatic, which was also a ticking timebomb. I parked it and enjoyed more driving my manual older A4 more. Hence why I ended up selling it. I prefer the 210 for all the same reasons you do. Old school merc, analog, simpler, plus I have really grown to like the interior. As far as the nav, I just like the way it looks in the dash, although I wont be using it for the actual navigaion. The search continues!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How about this one ? $7800 with 110K miles.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...219083176.html

Old 10-25-2020, 06:46 PM

A4
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
How about this one ? $7800 with 110K miles.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...219083176.html

That one looks good actually. For some reason right now im stuck on black. Ill see what these guys do on the price after my ppi and all. thanks for the post!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Come one guys! That can be better than 14k! Looks nice and all, but it's still a 210. Op, offer your max, or maybe 11 and if they don't agree just keep looking! GL.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by broham
That one looks good actually. For some reason right now im stuck on black. Ill see what these guys do on the price after my ppi and all. thanks for the post!
This one at $7800 California car make more sense. I used to have 1 Black and 2 Silvers and they all looks good. Remember, they are 20 years old car and many things can go wrong regardless the mleage.
Even 20 years old Camry will have issues.... You will need $2K to $4K in the first 2 years. I was thinking to get other W210 E55 but wife prefer a newer S550 (2015-2016). I know they are very different but since I still have my W211. I like something comfortable with some good gadget.