Sponsored by:

No fool like an old fool....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-55 '05 White/black
No fool like an old fool....

A few updates on my approach to hp mods...after MUCH talk with various tuners and my dealer I was left with the following information...if I went with one of the customary mercedes tuners e.g. Kleemann, Renntech, etc. there was NO doubt that my warranty would be in question. The idea of trusting a dealer to work with one of these tuners is iffy at best....yes I'm sure an authorized Kleemann Mercedes dealer would work to replace faulty parts..but I'm a what-if kinda of guy...I have great trepidation that if a catastrophic engine failure occurred they might be as liberal with repair. Yes, you can and probably should purchase a separate powertrain warranty if you go this route but for how much...undoubtably thousands of dollars. To those who believe the dealer might look the other way due to a "friendly" relationship that puts way more trust in any dealer I've had or for that matter MBUSA.

I decided on the stealth approach...whatever changes I made I wanted to be able to remove all evidence of their existance in a matter of minutes..even on the side of the road. That meant pulleys , headers, etc. were out...yes an ECU flash would probably never be detected ..but what if. Therefore ....drum roll, please, I went with nitrous oxide. Yes I know what you're going to say...its dangerous, will melt spark plugs and pistons, detonation can't be controlled,etc. However, if used judiciously a 50-65 hp dry shot equals 75-100 on our supercharged cars and is safe with the use of prudence...tapping TPS for WOT, low fuel pressure kill switch, A/F data, proper jetting, etc.

I installed my setup in about 6 hours using NOS parts... it can be removed entirely in 5 minutes....if anyone wants specific details I can add them in another post. Results 11.75@121 on stock Contis in 70 degree weather. A/F ratios stayed within safe limits with my jetting.

No, I don't think this is a better setup than the usual and customary but for me and my OCCASIONAL ( I am 57 years old by the way) need for more power this works. This set up should be enough for those pesky soon to released M-5/6 cars! And if necessary in five minutes there's nothing there...no pulleys, no holes, no wires/lines, no bottle...nothing. 4 small wrenches and needle nose pliers reside in a sack in my trunk along with a "bag" for the setup....what's even better it can be re-installed in about 10 minutes.

Remember, there's no fool like an old fool....Gray
Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
And the more seasoned 55 owner said to the younger 55 bull, "no son, let's WALK down to the M5's and...."

Thanks so much for the info. Please please post any pics or info that you can.

Here is the question I submit, I was one of the those gamblers, that went Kleemann and am stuck with my consequences. (warranty)

Well here goes nothing....anyone think my motor could handle a 50 dry shot. I probably would never try it on top of mods, but you think it could. I think that would be on the edge or motor failure.....but ya think?

Last edited by Jakpro1; 03-14-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
And the more seasoned 55 owner said to the younger 55 bull, "no son, let's WALK down to the M5's and...."

Thanks so much for the info. Please please post any pics or info that you can.

Here is the question I submit, I was one of the those gamblers, that went Kleemann and am stuck with my consequences.

Well here goes nothing....anyone think my motor could handle a 50 dry shot. I probably would never try it on top of mods, but you think it could. I think that would be on the edge or motor failure.....but ya think?

I was told that there is a guy in my area with mods (don't know what) and 100 shot that ran high 10's in the 1/4 mile...I wonder what that feels like?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 PM

'10 E63
Interesting post, but I think you went a little overboard on defining how easily and quickly the mods must be able to be removed. You have control over your car, and if you had a pulley on it and it conked out all you'd have to do is have it taken to your home (or buddy's shop or whatever) rather than straight to the dealer. The thought of you standing by the car when the tow truck arrives holding a bag with a nitrous bottle and assorted parts in it is rather amusing though. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:29 PM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
I was told that there is a guy in my area with mods (don't know what) and 100 shot that ran high 10's in the 1/4 mile...I wonder what that feels like?
HIGH TENS?
That is awfully fast. Any idea who this fighter pilot is?
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I dunno i've seen lots of bmws and other cars blow their motor with improper NOSs use/installation... i'd rather have pulley and ecu i think it's more reliable!

gl
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, I agree....I just can't do it....yet.

When I can afford 30K for motor replacement without an eye blink...what the heck.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM

E-55 '05 White/black
A few comments about nitrous....nitrous is as safe or dangerous as the user and setup. Since this is a dry setup there is no risk of fuel puddling and resounding BANG that can occur. With a dry set up there are two ways to increase fuel for the added oxygen (1) fool fuel pump to produce more pressure (2) fool ECU via MAF to lengthen the time per injection...I went with #2. The problem with this set up is detonation...with the greatesat risk a faulty MAF not allowing a longer injection cycle...when I run nitrous I am constantly monitoring A/F ratios at real time...I also am installing the fuel pressure kill switch tomorrow. Granted anything can happen but the chances are incredible small using this approach. Plus for the other 99.9% the engine is used its under absolutely no extra stress as compared with pulley upgrades.

My results in terms of performance speak for themselves...I'm sure with BFG's and a sticky track with decent air this set up good for mid eleven et's at about 120-121mph.

And in reference to my "bag in my hand by the side of the road" the "bag" is Versace and at least I'll be stylish.

If anyone wants specifics in regards to installation please post.

Gray
Old 03-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by hilsman
With a dry set up there are two ways to increase fuel for the added oxygen (1) fool fuel pump to produce more pressure (2) fool ECU via MAF to lengthen the time per injection...I went with #2.
Do you mean MAP sensor? W211 E55's don't have a MAF sensor- they use a speed density system.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:18 PM

E-55 '05 White/black
You are correct...mistyped..MAP
Old 03-14-2005, 09:50 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I am in full agreement with your approach. I was warned by everyone that NOS was baaaaad but after researching the subject and talking to a friend that ran N2O on his small block I tried a 150HP wet shot on my SBC. That was 85k miles ago. If you follow instructions that NOS gives you it is perfectly safe.

I put a fuel pressure cutoff switch on mine from the beginning. Can't afford lean condition. That is the killer.

As for the question of whether the engine internals can stand it, I have no doubt they will hold up. MB makes a bullet proof bottom end. The potential for this motor is easily greater than 600HP without upgrading crank, pistons, rods, etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:46 AM

'10 E63
Hey Gray, I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, and I certainly hope you never have a problem--I just got a laugh out of picturing someone standing by the side of the road with a bag of nitrous parts (a Versace bag, no less ).

Can you explain how your setup fools the MAP sensor and thereby lengthens the injector pulse? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 PM

E-55 '05 White/black
Actually the nitrous does several things which trigger longer injection pulses...the 211 SC'd do not have MAF but plot the changes in charge air temp and density through sensors plus changes in vaccuum via the MAP which are "fooled" by the denser and much cooler air post nitrous spray. Keeping an ongoing eye on A/F ratios in my opinion is a real safety plus using dry setups....Gray