W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Cali guys paying 3 Bucks a gallon yet..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
We're spoiled. I paid $50 to fill my E55, but that is still a bargain.

I went out to eat at a moderately priced restaurant and it cost 50 bucks to fill my wife and I up and that was for one meal. My E55 only eats $50 a week.

Compared to the cost of the vehicle and insurance it's really not that expensive. Wait a year or two we'll probably being paying $3/gal unless domestic production picks up, which it will. (I hope) I live in the oil patch and already old wells are being cranked back up because of the higher prices. We own land in Mississippi which will be producing hopefully within a year. Yea. :p
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vetluver
We're spoiled. I paid $50 to fill my E55, but that is still a bargain.

I went out to eat at a moderately priced restaurant and it cost 50 bucks to fill my wife and I up and that was for one meal. My E55 only eats $50 a week.

Compared to the cost of the vehicle and insurance it's really not that expensive. Wait a year or two we'll probably being paying $3/gal unless domestic production picks up, which it will. (I hope) I live in the oil patch and already old wells are being cranked back up because of the higher prices. We own land in Mississippi which will be producing hopefully within a year. Yea. :p
HAHAHA!!! Vetluver...that is the funniest thing I've heard all week!

I never thought about looking at gas prices that way... Actually, I don't really complain either...the fun and smile factor everytime I squeeze the throttle is easily worth the money!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Here's a good website for gasoline pricing info...

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/CAmetro.asp
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Anybody else here happy about the high gas prices? By the way, I don't think gasoline prices are going to spike up that much more, and may even fall. The people who are really feeling the pain of high gas prices will cut back as much as they can now, and will buy a more fuel efficient vehicle next time around.
I find all the wailing and moaning laughable. Don't high fuel prices provoke all the "environmentalists" desired changes? High fuel prices are the only way (outside of a government mandate) to cause the people who don't really need large SUV or pickup (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Armada, Titan, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, F-150, Tundra, Silverado) to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle next time around. By the way, if you want or need one of these vehicles, I suspect there is going to be a bumper crop of lightly used vehicles like I mentioned above being sold at excellent prices. I didn't mention the luxury brand SUV's because the people that can pay for those are probably the most likely to be able to afford the increased fuel cost.

So high fuel prices will provoke the average vehicle's fuel economy to rise based on the new desire for fuel efficient vehicles. We will have lower consumption, less CO2 emission, and less of all the other pollution. All accomplished without new government regulation (state or federal) or mandates, like the ridiculous CAFE.

The manufacturers that spend more money on improved technology will benefit, and they will be able to charge more for their vehicles. Don't the environmentalists want better technology that lowers fuel consumption in our vehicles?

In the US, we also have refining issues. Most people don't want a refinery in their backyard. A rational business person has not been all that willing to invest in new refineries because of all the hassle and expense of meeting the safety and enviromental regulations involved. The Europeans have excess refining capacity because so many people have switched to diesel over there, so they are actually sending the US gasoline. So any sane person won't invest in increasing refining capacity until they are really sure that their investment will pay off.

Persistent (for years) high gasoline prices will encourage more investment in refining capacity; I also think it will allow the refiners to get a better deal from the politicians now that their constituency is screaming at them about how expensive gasoline is.

There is plenty of oil in the world. We are in a buying frenzy right now, but that will cool off. But there is increased worldwide demand, and the supply of easily available and really cheap oil is not expanding as quickly. At current oil prices, it suddenly becomes economically viable to extract the huge reserves trapped in the rock (shale) and sand of the Western USA and Western Canada. Alberta Canada will be like Texas during their oil boom in the early 20th Century. Already the Chinese are investing there. Notice the Chinese are also cozying up to the demagogue, Hugo Chavez, in Venezuela too as well as chumming up with our good friends, the Iranians. The Chinese are no fools, and are establishing good relations with all our oil producing enemies (Canadians are US enemies, but we coexist, kind of like a divorced couple that remains bonded because of the kids). By the way, if I were Canadian, I would also be scared stiff of the US too. Americans are funny and have trouble seeing how fearsome they are. You, as as a US citizen, see the footage of Marines running around and blowing up stuff and feel proud, feel safer, or feel revolted; everbody else feels scared. I personally, like Machiavelli said in The Prince, prefer to be feared than loved. If you don't like the word enemy because of its warlike connotation, then please substitute the word "rival" for the word "enemy."

Anyhow, cooler heads tend to prevail, because they know that it is only a few years away before Iraq also starts pumping out massive amounts of high quality cheap oil. All the other gulf states receiving record profits will invest and improve their extraction techniques. So nobody is likely to rush in to produce massive amounts of oil from the non-tradional sites (shale) because the price may, and probably will, fall back quite a bit in the coming year. They will set up pilot plants to test the technology, so they will be ready for the next bubble to pounce.

I love to rant and welcome comments or criticism

I drive a 2003 E320 .My car runs on the stock continental contitouring tires, which like the Michelin MXV4 Energy tire, are relatively low rolling resistance tires. I gladly sacrifice ultimate dry handling for better fuel economy. Life is full of tradeoffs. My car, when I use it on strictly on highway driving (70 to 75 mph) averages 29 MPG. In my mix of city/hwy driving, I get 23.5 MPG. You E55 guys can blow my car off the road in road performance; but you pay a price for it. Most of you can easily afford that price. If you can't, I suggest you re-examine your priorities.

William
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by X72
In the US, we also have refining issues. Most people don't want a refinery in their backyard. A rational business person has not been all that willing to invest in new refineries because of all the hassle and expense of meeting the safety and enviromental regulations involved.
Bring the oil to Louisiana. We'll refine it. It's a cespool down here anyway. The gators and the turtles slurp the pollutants up and thrive on it. We need the jobs and the greenies are in the minority.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:17 AM

2005 E55
anyone use http://gaspricewatch.com

any other good sites like this?

everyone please help the effort

Last edited by korveine; 04-08-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
$2.86 in Sherman Oaks today.... whoa that not so cheap

its not even summer yet!

@ 13-15 mpg thats a tank every few days YIPPY!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
$2.76 in oregon thats alot for us tree huggers!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:50 AM
X72

Honda Accord
Hey BMWEATR, as an Oregonian, do you like that there is no self-service option, do you dislike it, or are you indifferent? Paying that person to pump your gas must raise the price you feel. What is the tipping protocol, especially if you show up with your expensive car?
William
2003 E320

Last edited by X72; 04-08-2005 at 08:55 AM. Reason: punctuation correction
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Finally saw one today, thought it would never reach this high: $3.05 (Mira Mesa Blvd/Scanton).
Old 04-08-2005, 09:58 AM

'08 SL65
Can someone (in SoCal) take a pic of the gas price sign of the last Chevron station as you are leaving Malibu (heading North) on the PCH? When I bought gas there in Nov. '03 it was the highest price by far on a 3000 mile West Coast trip. Just curious. TIA
Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
$2.75 in "affordable" Sacramento.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by X72
Hey BMWEATR, as an Oregonian, do you like that there is no self-service option, do you dislike it, or are you indifferent? Paying that person to pump your gas must raise the price you feel. What is the tipping protocol, especially if you show up with your expensive car?
William
2003 E320
I'm alittle torn on the self serv thing being kinda **** about the E55 the last thing i like is a 19 yr old high school drop out pump'n my gas and leaning on my car to clean window/ but its nice kick'n back and being served? NO TIPPING! nobody tips. it ain't vegas! lololol
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM

04 E55
April 8/05

I just paid $1.15CAN / Litre for 94 Octane at Chevron here in Vancouver, B.C
Old 04-09-2005, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i just bought some 100 oct unleaded for $5.37 gl
Old 04-09-2005, 04:40 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
I'm alittle torn on the self serv thing being kinda **** about the E55 the last thing i like is a 19 yr old high school drop out pump'n my gas and leaning on my car to clean window/ but its nice kick'n back and being served? NO TIPPING! nobody tips. it ain't vegas! lololol
The biggest downside to no self-service gas, here in sunny Orygun, is that you sometimes have to wait if the pump jockey is out-numbered.
Tipping?...all we tree huggers ever tip is cattle or timber.
Gas will blow through $3.00/gal before the end of April, I betcha.My bikes are going to get a lot of use this summer; at least the temperatures are climbing along with the gas prices.
Getting fueled up is quicker on two wheels; most often the attendant just hands me the hose and walks away to take care of the four wheelers.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
2.97 here in Sactown!!! CRAZY!!! Need to buy a hybrid.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:21 AM
X72

Honda Accord
BMWEATR and Steve Clark; thanks for your responses and insights. I just thought it was quite odd when I found out that it is illegal to pump your own gasoline in Oregon. By the way, Steve Clark, I understood your phoenetic spelling, Orygun. You better than I must know that 99% of us Easterners mispronounce Oregon by saying Ora-gone.
William
2003 E320

Last edited by X72; 04-09-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Is Cali an island next to Bali? I have no idea how much they are paying for gas in Indonesia. Or is this just how folks that wish they could live in California refer to their dream state?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:31 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by X72
Anybody else here happy about the high gas prices? By the way, I don't think gasoline prices are going to spike up that much more, and may even fall. The people who are really feeling the pain of high gas prices will cut back as much as they can now, and will buy a more fuel efficient vehicle next time around.
I find all the wailing and moaning laughable. Don't high fuel prices provoke all the "environmentalists" desired changes? High fuel prices are the only way (outside of a government mandate) to cause the people who don't really need large SUV or pickup (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Armada, Titan, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, F-150, Tundra, Silverado) to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle next time around. By the way, if you want or need one of these vehicles, I suspect there is going to be a bumper crop of lightly used vehicles like I mentioned above being sold at excellent prices. I didn't mention the luxury brand SUV's because the people that can pay for those are probably the most likely to be able to afford the increased fuel cost.

So high fuel prices will provoke the average vehicle's fuel economy to rise based on the new desire for fuel efficient vehicles. We will have lower consumption, less CO2 emission, and less of all the other pollution. All accomplished without new government regulation (state or federal) or mandates, like the ridiculous CAFE.

The manufacturers that spend more money on improved technology will benefit, and they will be able to charge more for their vehicles. Don't the environmentalists want better technology that lowers fuel consumption in our vehicles?

In the US, we also have refining issues. Most people don't want a refinery in their backyard. A rational business person has not been all that willing to invest in new refineries because of all the hassle and expense of meeting the safety and enviromental regulations involved. The Europeans have excess refining capacity because so many people have switched to diesel over there, so they are actually sending the US gasoline. So any sane person won't invest in increasing refining capacity until they are really sure that their investment will pay off.

Persistent (for years) high gasoline prices will encourage more investment in refining capacity; I also think it will allow the refiners to get a better deal from the politicians now that their constituency is screaming at them about how expensive gasoline is.

There is plenty of oil in the world. We are in a buying frenzy right now, but that will cool off. But there is increased worldwide demand, and the supply of easily available and really cheap oil is not expanding as quickly. At current oil prices, it suddenly becomes economically viable to extract the huge reserves trapped in the rock (shale) and sand of the Western USA and Western Canada. Alberta Canada will be like Texas during their oil boom in the early 20th Century. Already the Chinese are investing there. Notice the Chinese are also cozying up to the demagogue, Hugo Chavez, in Venezuela too as well as chumming up with our good friends, the Iranians. The Chinese are no fools, and are establishing good relations with all our oil producing enemies (Canadians are US enemies, but we coexist, kind of like a divorced couple that remains bonded because of the kids). By the way, if I were Canadian, I would also be scared stiff of the US too. Americans are funny and have trouble seeing how fearsome they are. You, as as a US citizen, see the footage of Marines running around and blowing up stuff and feel proud, feel safer, or feel revolted; everbody else feels scared. I personally, like Machiavelli said in The Prince, prefer to be feared than loved. If you don't like the word enemy because of its warlike connotation, then please substitute the word "rival" for the word "enemy."

Anyhow, cooler heads tend to prevail, because they know that it is only a few years away before Iraq also starts pumping out massive amounts of high quality cheap oil. All the other gulf states receiving record profits will invest and improve their extraction techniques. So nobody is likely to rush in to produce massive amounts of oil from the non-tradional sites (shale) because the price may, and probably will, fall back quite a bit in the coming year. They will set up pilot plants to test the technology, so they will be ready for the next bubble to pounce.

I love to rant and welcome comments or criticism

I drive a 2003 E320 .My car runs on the stock continental contitouring tires, which like the Michelin MXV4 Energy tire, are relatively low rolling resistance tires. I gladly sacrifice ultimate dry handling for better fuel economy. Life is full of tradeoffs. My car, when I use it on strictly on highway driving (70 to 75 mph) averages 29 MPG. In my mix of city/hwy driving, I get 23.5 MPG. You E55 guys can blow my car off the road in road performance; but you pay a price for it. Most of you can easily afford that price. If you can't, I suggest you re-examine your priorities.

William

Don't worry X72, there's ton's of crude to go around. This last week, Goldman Sachs predicted $100 a barrel in the near future. However I think that price spike will be short lived as I think most countries will definately go into recession at that price. Think about the biggest buyers and heavy industry users, USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, and Gemany, England. Who cares if China can produce something for pennies on the dollar, thanks to slave labor, if no one is out there to buy their goods.

And I hope you don't think of Canadians as unfriendly or anti-American. I know we are not with the United States in Iraq but we are side by side with your boys in Afghanistan. I don't think what you all see in the media sometimes is really representative of a lot of the things up here.

Anyways, don't worry about keeping your Mercedes full of quality fuel. Your neighbor to the north has as much oil as a certain middle eastern country. And all the pipes are directed to the South. I believe that the amount of money pouring into the tar sands will enable production to increase by millions of barrels per day over the next ten or fifteen years.

Anyways, talking about cars is much more funner and talking about gas.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just doing a summer check up.....you guys close yet.

Drudge had this pic.....where the h ell is this..scary.
Attached Thumbnails You Cali guys paying 3 Bucks a gallon yet..-capt.caps11208100443.oil_prices_caps112.jpg   You Cali guys paying 3 Bucks a gallon yet..-capt.caps11108100441.oil_prices_caps111.jpg  
Old 08-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Tesla
no wonder I see less and less hummers on the road.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:43 PM

clk
It's getting really ugly around here. Prices for premium vary from $2.59/arco to $2.89/chevron in San Gabriel Valley.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Sac Gas

2.89 per gallon!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Just doing a summer check up.....you guys close yet.

Drudge had this pic.....where the h ell is this..scary.
Today, that could be anywhere in greater Los Angeles. It's certainly higher in Malibu, probably by 20 to 30 cents. I saw as high as $3.09 for self-serve premium in West LA last night (an overnight jump from $2.99). I filled up last Thursday at $2.77. What a bargain!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You Cali guys paying 3 Bucks a gallon yet..