W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Mission Accomplished: The 2005 Steering Rack Is Now Installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Porsche 911, Mercedes-Benz E55
Mission Accomplished: The 2005 Steering Rack Is Now Installed!

As I described in my previous thread, I've been extremely happy about the transformation that's occurred as a result of STEP 1: installing the CLS 55 front shocks and lower control arms (containing the latest bushing specification).

I've now finished STEP 2, the installation of the 2005 E 55/CLS 55 steering rack with its quicker ratio (i.e. 14.8:1 vs. 15.3:1).

First impressions: the steering is quicker, more responsive, faster, and lighter. The car feels yet even more agile and nimble (i.e. as compared to the noticeable improvement discerned after STEP 1). Quick 90 degree turns are now taken with effortless ease. Tightening one's line mid-turn is now a joyful experience. It's as if I don't have to fight the car nearly as much.

The only complaint as to do with the lack of overall steering feel/feedback. The typical Mercedes-Benz steering numbness is still (expectedly) present. While the steering is now reasonably accurate, it still doesn't convey much in the way of detail. The problem is that my point of reference is my 2000 BMW M5 with Dinan S2 mods. That car also has 9.5J x 18" OEM rear wheels fitted with 275/35/ZR18 PS2s up FRONT (i.e. a lot of front-end footprint makes for much front-end bite). As one would expect, it's steering response, feel/feedback and turn-in are sportcar-like. Even though that car has a recirculating ball system, its steering simply talks to the driver. A lot of this might have something to do with BMW's philosophy in the toe-out setting department. All of these things add up to highly involving, extremely quick, and far more responsive (and less wooden-feeling) steering on the M5.

However, my new-found steering on the E55 provides a markedly dramatic/pronounced improvement to the car's day-to-day driving experience, something that almost any driver would easily notice. While I have heeps of praise for my M5, my E 55 is definitely no longer a complete slouch in the steering department!

Last edited by Symbolic; 04-17-2005 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Where did you get steering rack swap done? MBSD?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by W211 Ryda
Where did you get steering rack swap done? MBSD?
Mercedes-Benz San Diego installed the CLS 55 front shocks and lower control arms. They weren't willing to install the steering box due to "liabilty issues." Heinz Gietz in La Jolla granted me a one-time exception (as an industly courtesy -- I'm from Symbolic Motor Car Company), and installed the steering box.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:23 PM

time of installation

would it be easier to have all changes done at once, or are the ares that have to be changed totally different so that the procedure's charges would be separated. In other , maybe clearer words, when the shocks and arms are changed, does it expose the steering rack and make that change easier, or is it a totally unrelated area.I understand that they're both under the car.
also, again, those arms will not be available until june or july, right?
Old 04-16-2005, 05:25 PM

cost?

for those of us who don't have friends in the right place, what would be the total cost of parts? labor in new orleans is about 80/hr
Old 04-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by tendons
would it be easier to have all changes done at once, or are the ares that have to be changed totally different so that the procedure's charges would be separated. In other , maybe clearer words, when the shocks and arms are changed, does it expose the steering rack and make that change easier, or is it a totally unrelated area.I understand that they're both under the car.
also, again, those arms will not be available until june or july, right?
The only overlap in labor when treating these retrofits as two separate jobs, is having to set the alignment toe over again (i.e. about $84).

My contact at AMG recommended that I get the work done in two distinct phases, so that way I could measure/quantify/separate-out the change in feel firstly as a result of the CLS 55 front shocks and latest-version CLS 55 lower control arms (with the most current bushing compound). Knowing the expense of the steering rack, my AMG contact suggested that I only retrofit the 2005 unit in the event that the shocks and control arms didn't make enough of an appreciable change in the steering feel and handling dynamics. The first phase definintely helped out a lot. However, being the perfectionist that I am, I felt compelled to go the entire distance. I'm certainly glad I did!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by tendons
for those of us who don't have friends in the right place, what would be the total cost of parts? labor in new orleans is about 80/hr
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=10