W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling Utterly Transformed Via CLS 55 Suspension Parts!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Porsche 911, Mercedes-Benz E55
Handling Utterly Transformed Via CLS 55 Suspension Parts!

A well placed contact at AMG in Affalterbach recommended some changes for me when I complained to him about the lack of agility and slow turn-in of my 2005 E55. He said that I should change the parts in two phases. First, he suggested that I change the front shocks to CLS 55 units (i.e. "Hydropneumatic Spring Legs" in Mercedes-Benz jargon), together with CLS 55 lower control arms which contain bushings of a different composition (i.e. "Spring Control Arm" in Mercedes-speak). He was kind enough to send me a prototype set of these lower control arms. Apparently, the latest bushing configuration will not make their way until June 2005, when the revised bushings will be included as a running production change.

The technical types at MBUSA repeatedly warned me that the CLS 55 front shocks simply won't work as a retrofit to an E55. However, my friend at Affalterbach told me this was nonsense. In fact, he told me that when they were developing the CLS 55, they had an E55 test mule fitted with these same CLS 55 front shocks and updated (i.e. faster) steering rack.

He said that if retrofitting the CLS 55 lower control arms and front shocks didn't satisfy, I should then retrofit the 2005 E 55/CLS 55 steering rack (i.e. it's 14.8:1 ratio is a bit quicker than the 15.3:1 ratio found on the 2003-2004 W211 family). The only thing he warned me about was that this steering rack could slightly throw off/confuse the map on the "ESP Speed Sensitive Power Steering Control Unit." This could only be a problem on the tightest roads when suddenly/abruptly applying full power.

So far, I haven't had time to install the steering box. I can categorically state that with only the lower control arm and front shock update, the handling of the car has been utterly transformed! The front of the car is much tighter and stiffer, but not uncomfortably stiff. The steering response/precision/turn-in is much more responsive, sharp and immediate. Simply stated, the car feels far more agile, light, and sure-footed with quicker reflexes.

For those of you who plan to do this, here are the correct Part Numbers (which were obtained after much research). The Mercedes-Benz database is a bit confusing/contradictory about the correct part numbers for the front shocks. In fact, my dealer phoned a technical higher-up in New Jersey just to confirm the correct part number. Had I not verified the information myself with my contact in Affalterbach, I would have ended up with CLS 500 front shocks!!! Once I opened the boxes containing the CLS 55 front shocks, I was sure that I had the correct shocks (i.e. each of these new CLS 55 shocks has bright yellow AMG stickers).

Left Front Shock: A211 320 83 13
Right Front Shock: A211 320 84 13

They retail for $1,100 each.

The Steering Rack ("Steering Box Assembly" in Mercedes-speak) is A219 460 10 00. It retails for $2,840.

The CURRENT Part No. for the CLS 55 lower control arms are:

A211 330 81 07 (Bottom Left)
A211 330 82 07 (Bottom Right)

They retail for $281.60 each. Once the running production change for the bushing compound occurs this June, it might be possible that these Part Numbers might change?

I was charged 11.3 hours labor for the installation of the shocks and lower control arms (including an alignment). The further labor for the steering rack change will be 4.6 hours. However, I'm not sure whether this figure includes the 1.7 hours that books says an alignment takes. I'm also not sure whether a steering box change requires a further alignment.

All I can see that even though I haven't yet done the steering rack change, the car has been transformed. It feels much, much lighter on its feet. This is something that is quite noticeable in day-to-day driving, even when not pushing the car in cornering situations. When cornering hard, the difference in steering feel, steering response, and overall confidence is night and day! The car simply now invites the driver to push it at every opportunity. In a word, the car now feels far, far sportier!

Last edited by Symbolic; 04-11-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
thats intrestings! Thanks for posting!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
I don't drive an E55, but great technical post anyway.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 AM

2012 C63 Coupe Iridium Silver
I bet those parts will be 3 times the price here in Australia. Interesting post though... hmmm
Old 04-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

good write up. 1st, can you post the email the amg guy sent you with the pic in it. and a pic of your car
Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Anything done to the "softer" rear? How is the car's balance?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Good Lord, that's a lot of money for 2 shocks!!!
Awesome info, though. Thanks!!
If I ever win the lotto, I'll blow it all on the two front shocks, lol.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 PM

prototype?

I am confused as to which control arm you recieved. you said that in one case it was a prototype and then you give the part number of the current control arms. You do mention that starting in june there is a possiblity of there being different part numbers and I wondered if the parts you received are the current ones or a prototype.
What you had done sounds great, but I would obviously like to make sure that the "current" control arms are the same as the prototype. thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by thearle
Anything done to the "softer" rear? How is the car's balance?
The rear suspension of the CLS 55 is identical to that of the 2003-2005 E 55. The suspension changes are confined to the front. The balance of the car is fairly neutral. With the increased steering precision/response, the car "feels" less "understeery."
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by tendons
I am confused as to which control arm you recieved. you said that in one case it was a prototype and then you give the part number of the current control arms. You do mention that starting in june there is a possiblity of there being different part numbers and I wondered if the parts you received are the current ones or a prototype.
What you had done sounds great, but I would obviously like to make sure that the "current" control arms are the same as the prototype. thanks.
Sorry for the confusion. The lower control arms I received contain a pre-production bushing compound. Apparently, the early CLS 55s DO NOT yet have this exact bushing compound (i.e. apparently Mercedes-Benz's O.E. vendor for these bushings had some production quality problem, which has basically been since resolved. I was told that the latest incarnation of these bushings won't make there way until June 2005 production, etc.

The Part Nos. I provided are for the lower control arms containing the CURRENT version bushings. However, since these bushings will be a "running production change" beginning in June, it's likely that the Part Nos. WILL NOT change. Therefore, it might be wise to simply wait until June-July to order the lower control arms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handling Utterly Transformed Via CLS 55 Suspension Parts!