W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M5 vs. E55 road test

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Peter B
sure, i grow my own...um...sage that is! and use away. now make like a tree and scram!
Sage? I'll have to roll some when I get home tonight.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by Peter B
M&M it must be nice saying such reckless things here. douchstav would certainly ban you there so enjoy your freedom. the speedshift transmission shifts 35% faster than the regular unit and has lockup torque converter in gears 2-5 so no slushiness there huh mr. newton. what about this launch control question. is it designed to withstand 10, 50, 500? sounds like the m3 engine grenade problem in waiting to me. from every euro trash mag out there they have the 55's pulling high 12 low 13's in the 1/4 err.....0-250k what ever that is. yet real world performance and us mags are ALL low 12's. so all those mag tests seem strange to us, as does your post. the good thing about torque is smooth linear power delivery. you know like how all mx riders have gone to 4 strokes versus the revhappy 2 strokes. you can go faster and have better whole shots with more tq. if i wanted high hp with little tq i would have bought an s2000. and yes im going to try to avoid this thread now because the trolls are out in full force and we dont have the opportunity to reciprocate on douchtav's forum.

Peter B, I'm sorry you are so negative. Maybe it is because you feel you were badly treated at m5board. I won't comment as I don't know the whole story.

You cannot compare the the M5 engine to the Honda S2000! The M5 V10 has more torque than the C55 AMG for crying out loud. If the E55 wasn't blown, it'd have the same torque as the M5, albeit at lower revs. The thing you seem to miss is this : The M5 doesn't have a lack of torque. It can very comfortably be driven around town, this has been confirmed by every magazine and owner. Propably not AS good as the E55, but there will never be a lack of overtaking grunt.

So I'm sorry but I simply cannot agree with you. Take this from a fellow AMG lover - who loves ///M's too - try to get past your negative view, and even if you don't like the styling, which I'm sure you will say you don't, aknowledge the M5 for what it is, same way I aknowledge the E55 for the gem it is.

The question I ask myself is this : If I wake up on a Sunday morning at 6 am, feeling refreshed and wanting to go for a drive on my favourite road, would you rather take the more laid-back E55 or the adrenaline pumping M5? I'm sure everyone will agree that sliding the M5 around yet another bend as it screams to the red-line seems more appealing.

However, after a hard day at the office, when you worked past peak traffic and just want to get home, would you rather take the E55 and keep the stress low, but get home in very good time to the missus. OR, take the M5 and take out your stress on the bends on the way home? Both seem very appealing to me! So there is only one solution! Buy both and draw up a rotating roster
Old 04-18-2005, 07:52 PM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Wine lover too. So much so that I planted 1000 vines and opened a small winery! If you want to cure that cold, pop the cork on some Rustenberg, Rust en Verde or Thelema. Have a couple of glasses, relax and get some sleep.
Excellent choices! The Rustenburg is a firm favourite for us.

Currently in our mini-cellar

Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Well said. However, make mine a bottle or two of that great South African Cabernet that is so hard to get in the USA. Bring that and I'm IN!
make mine Barcardi and coke and lets meet at the crazy horse in vegas
Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by wolverine
Not sure where you got that information, but I don't think it's correct. Where did you read this?
That is actually true. BMWAG will not cover the clutch replacement cost if you used launch control too many times. Not sure the exact number.

This is the reason why US M3 does not have the european version of launch control. Because BMWNA can't get away from warranty liability.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoulBladeZA
Peter B, I'm sorry you are so negative. Maybe it is because you feel you were badly treated at m5board. I won't comment as I don't know the whole story.

You cannot compare the the M5 engine to the Honda S2000! The M5 V10 has more torque than the C55 AMG for crying out loud. If the E55 wasn't blown, it'd have the same torque as the M5, albeit at lower revs. The thing you seem to miss is this : The M5 doesn't have a lack of torque. It can very comfortably be driven around town, this has been confirmed by every magazine and owner. Propably not AS good as the E55, but there will never be a lack of overtaking grunt.

So I'm sorry but I simply cannot agree with you. Take this from a fellow AMG lover - who loves ///M's too - try to get past your negative view, and even if you don't like the styling, which I'm sure you will say you don't, aknowledge the M5 for what it is, same way I aknowledge the E55 for the gem it is.

The question I ask myself is this : If I wake up on a Sunday morning at 6 am, feeling refreshed and wanting to go for a drive on my favourite road, would you rather take the more laid-back E55 or the adrenaline pumping M5? I'm sure everyone will agree that sliding the M5 around yet another bend as it screams to the red-line seems more appealing.

However, after a hard day at the office, when you worked past peak traffic and just want to get home, would you rather take the E55 and keep the stress low, but get home in very good time to the missus. OR, take the M5 and take out your stress on the bends on the way home? Both seem very appealing to me! So there is only one solution! Buy both and draw up a rotating roster
true, i HATE the new m5. having owned an m3 with its aggressive stance and lowered looks the m5 is puke on wheels, set on fire, eaten and puked up again, 10 more times. it kills me when the devout say, i didnt like it at first but its grown on me. TO AN 85K CAR??? IT HAS TO GROW ON YOU??? to each his own. as for my laid back, tire shreddin, fish tailin, smokin any bmer out there i do this at the track and on a leisurely sunday cruise. you all bmers seem to think the mbz is a buick with a big motor??? wacko see you at the track then youll whine about the mods. itll be 4 years of domination by the time the banglebungle comes out so ill have to wait till then
Old 04-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Sheesh! My wife buys the S500 last week, now she's in heaven. While looking at all of the S class selections, I spot this silver beast on the dealer's lot out of the corner of my eye and say, "Wow, that's a neat looking car, the E55 eh?" So I make a deal and trade the 645 for it.

M5, Shmm 5. Whatever you like. I like the E55 and I am enjoying the E55 forum. I am going to drive the E55. Back and forth to work, to the store, to the restaurants and everywhere else. I like the way the car feels, it's comfortable and it's powerful and fast.

For me, it's a total experience, so I am grateful to have the E55. And everyone should be very thankful that the M Series folks are around. They keep the AMG people on their feet! If it weren't for all of the spirited competition, we wouldn't have the E55's.

So, I'll drive the heck out of the one I have now, and then in a couple years, the AMG group will best out the M Series people with a newer and better creation.

Everyone gets a turn. Enjoy your car, drive that car and don't sweat it!

DOG
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Just wanted to add that my friend used L/C on his m3 over 100 times and has had the clutch changed under war for free.

BMW CAN NOT VOID WAR ON SOMETHING THEY PUT ON THE CAR

for the person that thought it was 5-6 times to void war.You heard wrong after 5-6 times the car won't use L/C until the clutch is cooled down.BMW put 3 sensors on the clutch to monitor its ware and temp.

Im sure they put in a clutch that can handle the power just fine.Also remember its the tourqe that kills clutches and the poeple that slip them to much to take off.

Some of you think this engine is maxed out from the factory but im sorry that is far from the truth.This engine is an f1 engine get that in your think headed tourqe is king heads.The block is made from freaking magnesium alloy spinned off of the williams f1 car.It was desinged by the same people and built in the same fab.It has been tested by BMW to rev to 10.2k around the ring.

This is prolly the most moddable engine that has ever been put in a street car.

I will say it again its a formula one engine.I know thats killing you e55 drivers but this engine is 40 years ahead of the amgs.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So which one is faster?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 AM

I don't know. To show you how dumb I am, I wouldn't know a Formula I engine if I tripped over it. Amidst my ignorance, I continue to happily drive along in my measley E55 that scratch77 feels is 40 years behind the BMW engine.

Hey, for me, I don't care, but then again, I always had a thing for "retro". Guess that's why I like Harleys too. I also like those model steam engines that you fill with water, fire up the boiler and watch 'em go!

DOG
Old 04-19-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
So which one is faster?
There both so damn close who cares any more.You all are fighting over .3 seconds to 60 and .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

There both hot cars and I wish I had the money to own both.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I don't know. To show you how dumb I am, I wouldn't know a Formula I engine if I tripped over it. Amidst my ignorance, I continue to happily drive along in my measley E55 that scratch77 feels is 40 years behind the BMW engine.

Hey, for me, I don't care, but then again, I always had a thing for "retro". Guess that's why I like Harleys too. I also like those model steam engines that you fill with water, fire up the boiler and watch 'em go!

DOG
Its not 40 years old its about 25-30 but anyway anyone can throw a huge supercharger on a huge engine and make power.I find it interesting that the m5 makes more power and dosnt use any type of forced induction.

Dont you think its kinda pathetic that amg can't break 100 hp/l even using forced induction when the m3 csl makes like 116 hp/l staying NA

Last edited by skratch77; 04-19-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Yeah, I hear ya......Innovation would be a flying car or a car that ran on solar. Oh yeah my car does have solar power. It has a self cooling interior...THAT IS COOL. What does the M5 have to cool the car while it is parked ?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by juicee55
Yeah, I hear ya......Innovation would be a flying car or a car that ran on solar. Oh yeah my car does have solar power. It has a self cooling interior...THAT IS COOL. What does the M5 have to cool the car while it is parked ?
BMW is working on the hydrogen engines also whats MB doing?The already broke many records with the hydrogen engines
Old 04-19-2005, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
I like the M6 better. I think you were correct in your post a bit back. No reason to hate BMW or AMGs they are both NICE. BUT really and I have owned both. My E55 is faster than most cars. The torque, convinced me to trade in the bimmer. The I drive drives me NUTS, and to some extent the Mercedes "command" is not the most enjoyable setup. Both companies could do better in this regard. Everyone is different and I am sure there is some clown out there that hates the stance of the 55. Oh well have a nice night. I really do not think the new M5 can take down Peter Bs or Derek's E55. I guess Gusto will just have to come stateside for a week.. I am sure we could all pitch in to get the M5 moderator to a track here in the good ole USA..We could even get some wagons to join the carty....WOWOOW
Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 AM

too many to list
It all comes down to which styling and options you prefer from each manufacturer. Speed should not be the deciding factor. If one tenth of a second is the deciding factor between MB and BMW, then maybe you should consider an X50 Turbo. I am unbiased, I had the E39 and I drove it 50,000 glorious miles. While I only had my E55 for less than 10,000 miles, it certainly was amazing in its own right. This war needs to stop, you all sound like high school kids. The E automatic is for those who prefer it, on the flip side BMW is rumored to be releasing a 6 speed for 2007 only for the USA market. Quit the war, life's too short. Test drive both, buy whichever one you enjoy driving. When the M5 is released that is.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 AM

996 twin turbo
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
So, what are your thoughts on your new M5 that you've driven? That's what I thought...talk, talk, talk...

ITs just evolution,the next Mercedes e class will be faster than the m5 ,i just don't see why so many on here are upset that the m5 is faster (according to what ive read and heard as the car aint here in the uk yet .)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 AM

People who post about their opinions on the two cars styling are funny.....its all personal taste so it doesn't really matter w.r.t this thread.

Back to the main focus of this threadPURE BRAGGING RIGHTS thats all it is! lets not lose focus or become personal, i assume that most of us are adults so it shouldn't be too hard.

Its obvious that the M5 will beat a E55 from a roll at fair speeds it is geared and powered to do so, and these tests whether biased or not more than likely prove it.

But hold on AMG people from standstill the CLS55 was only slightly slower than the M5 to 100km/h (62mph) in several tests so by the quarter the gap won't be all that great ( a tenth or two, a mph ot two and a carlength or two) which is close enough that either the e55 or M5 can win especially at the local stoplight to stoplight run.

Pure physics says the M5 will be faster at speed and it also suggests that at lower speeds the results will be closer than people are led to believe from the rolling run tests at the M5board.

I don't think that its all that difficult to understand.

The M5 peak power is at 7750rpm and it revs to 8250rpm so by simply increasing rpm won't give hp unless other things are done (better breathing) to prevent the torque drop off (reduction in volumetric efficiency) which would impact other areas of the torque curve.
I don't see the engine reliably going much past 9k rpm ( it does have a very small stroke which is good for rpms, so i may be wrong), but displacement mods will probaly be useful (BMW probably toyed with 5.5L in the development stage for the M5 and M6) Also improved breathging to allow the engine to maintain torque to higher rpm levels. I can see aftermarket tuners getting 600hp comfortably
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 AM

All about the driving experience

I think it was said here that the M5 in question had used tires and the E55 new. Everyone knows that worn tires offer greater dry pavement traction- in any case the better driver will probably win the drag in either car. With equal drivers, the M5 will win the race by a margin, but not annihilate the E55. In the end however, this straight line comparison is utterly boring and tells you nothing about the car because it is done under conditions (sticky pavement, ESP off, possibly drag tires, torque braking, etc.) that almost nobody uses in day to day driving, apart from the fact that it is a disgrace to reduce high-tuned engineering treats like M5 or E55 to such profane ends. At the end of the day, I value all-weather every day accessible performance with reasonable comfort over 0,3 seconds better in the quarter. I would much rather see better brakes in both of the cars in question, they offer a lot more in the way of everyday driving satisfaction than slightly better acceleration. I am glad that both cars exist because else we would all be driving the same thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a good day!

Last edited by Frank Wiesmann; 04-19-2005 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
I think it was said here that the M5 in question had used tires and the E55 new. Everyone knows that worn tires offer greater dry pavement traction- in any case the better driver will probably win the drag in either car. With equal drivers, the M5 will win the race by a margin, but not annihilate the E55. In the end however, this straight line comparison is utterly boring and tells you nothing about the car because it is done under conditions (sticky pavement, ESP off, possibly drag tires, torque braking, etc.) that almost nobody uses in day to day driving, apart from the fact that it is a disgrace to reduce high-tuned engineering treats like M5 or E55 to such profane ends. At the end of the day, I value all-weather every day accessible performance with reasonable comfort over 0,3 seconds better in the quarter. I would much rather see better brakes in both of the cars in question, they offer a lot more in the way of everyday driving satisfaction than slightly better acceleration. I am glad that both cars exist because else we would all be driving the same thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a good day!
Agree

I have said it many times in the past when posts like these keep being resurrected, why are we comparing the E55 to a car that is not out in the states yet? When the new M5 shows up this fall (if no delays), the current W211 E55 will be going into its 4 year of production.

We all agree that the performance that the old M5 has is not even close to the W211 E55 and that the new M5 if better (relative) will only be marginal relative to the prior. AMG has come a long way and they are getting better every year

Having choices in life is what makes it fun. BMW keep making the M5 better, MB keep making the E55 better, GM keep making the Z06 better, Porsche keep making the 911 TT better, etc................

Enjoy life my friends since it is short and unpredictable
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Agree

I have said it many times in the past when posts like these keep being resurrected, why are we comparing the E55 to a car that is not out in the states yet? When the new M5 shows up this fall (if no delays), the current W211 E55 will be going into its 4 year of production.

We all agree that the performance that the old M5 has is not even close to the W211 E55 and that the new M5 if better (relative) will only be marginal relative to the prior. AMG has come a long way and they are getting better every year

Having choices in life is what makes it fun. BMW keep making the M5 better, MB keep making the E55 better, GM keep making the Z06 better, Porsche keep making the 911 TT better, etc................

Enjoy life my friends since it is short and unpredictable
AMEN! Both cars are fantastic automobiles and cater to different tastes, which is why we have an MBWorld and M5Board forum. However, I do agree that some on both sides do make generalizations which can get annoying to whichever side you land. We could all afford either car, but we chose what we chose for whatever reason.

The M5 will be great but not for me...I'm sure the AMG guys have the internet too and are working hard to top the next M car not in just pure power, but also improved dynamics (ala CLS)...we live in a great era of cars!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch77
There both so damn close who cares any more.You all are fighting over .3 seconds to 60 and .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

There both hot cars and I wish I had the money to own both.
he is making fun of you sir!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:59 PM

C32, Durango R/T, 3200GT
I was the one saying that the M5 had used tires, and I didn't say used, it was more like overused... There wasn't more than maybe 1 or 2 mm left, and at 2pm one tire gave up completely.

While one E55 had brand new since two days, (which were gone in the end of the day btw)

And the other had medium used ones.

Please accept the fact that the M5 drove faster than the E55 in a straight, both from rolling start and from more or less standstill. And it is also faster in high speeds, even if it has less torque.
They tried several rounds, just as with the gallardo, and the results were similar everytime.

I would sort the cars that ran that day in this order speedwise:

C32 (my car is the slowest ) - Tuned RS4, E55T and E55 - 996turbo 500hp, M5, Gallardo - RUF CTR

The C32 was about 2-4 carlengs slower than the rs4 and e55.
The RS4/E55 was about 1-3 carlengs slower than the M5, gallardo and 996
And everyone was out of the RUF CTRs league

In each category, there was about 1-2 carlengs difference in the end depending on who got the jump, and who slowed down first ect.
But since we ran so many rounds, you could see a clear pattern in which car that gained on the other.

I hope you will understand that both E55 and M5 are great cars but the M5 that is 2 years newer is the better of these two performance wise.
In a few years the next E-AMG will be relased, and this time it will be faster, just as in the case E39 M5 vs E55 w211. And after that, maybe we will have the exact same discussion all over again when the future M5 is coming.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:29 PM

E63, GT500
i used to tell myself that when the new M5 comes out and it's faster than the E55 that it wouldn't bother me...well guess what?...it bothers me...what can i say the grass is always greener.

JD
Old 04-19-2005, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Bubbaboy
i used to tell myself that when the new M5 comes out and it's faster than the E55 that it wouldn't bother me...well guess what?...it bothers me...what can i say the grass is always greener.

JD
At least you can drive yours NOW and not several months from now. The AMG answer to the M5 should be coming out as a 2007 model so the apparent king of the hill M5 (for now) will be tested a lot sooner by AMG. It won't be the 3 year wait that the M5 owners had to wait for answer to the W211 AMG.

Then Audi will have its turn and so forth and so on...gotta love it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M5 vs. E55 road test