Sponsored by:

Raced a newer cobra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CLS63
Raced a newer cobra

Was heading north on the gulf freeway last night and came across a late model cobra…black with some loud *** exhaust. The first race I chased him and he kept on pulling.

The second time, we did it from a 55-60 punch…and he gave me the jump...i got about ˝ a car. We didn’t have much room and only got to 100 or so…but he was catching me…by the time we got out of it he was next to me…his supercharger was loud as hell. There’s no doubt he would have come around me…not hard…but enough to beat me.

My wife and I were on the way to dinner at the time…she doesn’t know much about cars, but she swears the driver of the cobra was pushing something on the steering wheel…and she heard a loud “click” when we got into it.

I ran 12.0’s @ 117mph…I don’t believe the cobra was stock…at least the exhaust. I raced one at the track and it wasn’t even close! If I had that damn pulley, I wouldn’t be having this conversation…my wife got her new car, now I’m getting my pulley this week!!

The guy driving the car was in his mid 20’s…cool guy…at least he gave me a thumbs up and didn’t laugh at me!

I just hate loosing!!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Shape of things to come my friends...unfortunately.

500hp seems like the norm for high power American cars in 2006-07.....sigh.

Hopefully Benz raises the stakes with a cute pair of twins on an 8 or 12....we'll see....
Old 05-22-2005, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by housclass
Was heading north on the gulf freeway last night and came across a late model cobra…black with some loud *** exhaust. The first race I chased him and he kept on pulling.

The second time, we did it from a 55-60 punch…and he gave me the jump...i got about ˝ a car. We didn’t have much room and only got to 100 or so…but he was catching me…by the time we got out of it he was next to me…his supercharger was loud as hell. There’s no doubt he would have come around me…not hard…but enough to beat me.

My wife and I were on the way to dinner at the time…she doesn’t know much about cars, but she swears the driver of the cobra was pushing something on the steering wheel…and she heard a loud “click” when we got into it.

I ran 12.0’s @ 117mph…I don’t believe the cobra was stock…at least the exhaust. I raced one at the track and it wasn’t even close! If I had that damn pulley, I wouldn’t be having this conversation…my wife got her new car, now I’m getting my pulley this week!!

The guy driving the car was in his mid 20’s…cool guy…at least he gave me a thumbs up and didn’t laugh at me!

I just hate loosing!!
How did the whine of the supercharger sound? Was it really high pitched? SOunds like you ran into a Kenne Bell.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:21 PM

'08 CLS63
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
How did the whine of the supercharger sound? Was it really high pitched? SOunds like you ran into a Kenne Bell.
sounded like i was at the top end of the race track watching a fuel car run! it was loud!!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
a KB car would have pulled on him hard. Look at my power numbers....these are conservative considering I am on 91 octane. Those texas boys push at least another 2-4 degrees of timing than me, making another 20-30rwhp.

I would say you ran into a pulley/chip/exhaust stock eaton car. They can get to about 470rwhp with a good tune. I'll scan the cobra boards to see if anyone posted a story. What color was the cobra?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Careful, it's hitting 100+ here everyday What are the temps at your spot?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:16 PM

'08 CLS63
Originally Posted by dgussin1
a KB car would have pulled on him hard. Look at my power numbers....these are conservative considering I am on 91 octane. Those texas boys push at least another 2-4 degrees of timing than me, making another 20-30rwhp.

I would say you ran into a pulley/chip/exhaust stock eaton car. They can get to about 470rwhp with a good tune. I'll scan the cobra boards to see if anyone posted a story. What color was the cobra?
please do!!!!!! it was black and the guy looked to be in his mid 20's...we were north bound on the gulf freeway between 610 and downtown (houston) saturday night.

i looked this morning and couldn't find anything...please let me know if you find something...with a car that fast, he's bound to be on the boards somewhere!

thanks for your help!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:44 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
please do!!!!!! it was black and the guy looked to be in his mid 20's...we were north bound on the gulf freeway between 610 and downtown (houston) saturday night.

i looked this morning and couldn't find anything...please let me know if you find something...with a car that fast, he's bound to be on the boards somewhere!

thanks for your help!
I have a call into a friend with a mystichrome cobra in your area that might have the answer for us.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350

Well he is running a 12.0 flat. He said the supercharger sounded differetn so that immediately made me think KB. THe Eatons arent as he described.

TO me it sounds liek the guy was just toying with you. THe way he gave you a head start and all.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG

I just hate loosing!!

He was probably hitting the Nitrous button. NO doubt when you hit nitrous it is much louder. It's the great equalizer. I cheat all the time and people don't have a clue.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 PM

NAWWSSS. But of course. That car will be heading to MTI or Xcessive Performance for a rebuild probably within 3 months.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
Originally Posted by Vetluver
He was probably hitting the Nitrous button. NO doubt when you hit nitrous it is much louder. It's the great equalizer. I cheat all the time and people don't have a clue.
nitrous buttons are obsolete...all you need is a WOT and a window switch, then it engages by itself.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
True, but it still looks cooler when you push the button.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S wagon, 2016 GLE350d, GLE450 on order
Thoses cars are such complete junk!! A friend of mine years ago bought a Mustang brand new and spent so much money making it go fast. It was quick, but everytime you stepped on the gas there was no control what-so-ever. It was in the garage every week with something leasking or something broken... I love playing with these cars and my e55 through corners........
Old 05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by jparch
Thoses cars are such complete junk!! A friend of mine years ago bought a Mustang brand new and spent so much money making it go fast. It was quick, but everytime you stepped on the gas there was no control what-so-ever. It was in the garage every week with something leasking or something broken... I love playing with these cars and my e55 through corners........

Man im gonna get flamed but, i would love you to race a Terminator with KB, or Whipple upgrade. I think it will make you think twice. See there are mustangs, then there are cobras, and then there are Terminator Cobras. :v
Old 05-23-2005, 07:55 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
my car is slow and handles like crap. I get my *** handed to me by every mercedes ever made.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:06 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
nitrous buttons are obsolete...all you need is a WOT and a window switch, then it engages by itself.
That's the way I have my Vette set up. Much less likely to prematurely engage if the RPM are under 2000.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM

I think it is pretty much the only way to go if you want to make certain you engage at WOT every time. No accidental buttons to push, like accidentally clicking one of our gearshift buttons on the back of the steering wheel during a turn.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM

2004 E55
I think for sixty bucks a mustang can get a pulley and push over 400 to the wheels. Headers, exhaust, and maybe a ported eaton and that'll walk all over our cars for a fraction of the cost.

My buddy has a harley truck with the 5.4. For 600 bucks he got a crank pulley, belt, intake, plugs, and chip. we get a pulley and chip for 4 grand.... if we go the cheap route.

Don't take cobra's lightly
Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 PM

I've been in the automotive business for years, i don't care what you bolt to a mustang it is still a piece of crap, likewise for any corvette (my dad had a few ). there is more engineering in a mercedes door handle than the entire mustang line-up.......
Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
I've been in the automotive business for years, i don't care what you bolt to a mustang it is still a piece of crap, likewise for any corvette (my dad had a few ). there is more engineering in a mercedes door handle than the entire mustang line-up.......
Is that supposed to impress me that you are "in the industry". Everyone that I have ever met that sells cars or works at/for a dealership is generally a ****ing moron.

I agree...Much more engeneering goes into a mercedes...my cobra costs less than 1/2 of a E55. I would have to say that at least some of the cost difference went into the development of the vehicle. We see what ford can produce when the charge 140K for a car...nothing within the next 300K range could even come close to touching the Ford GT in acceleration, braking or handling...Imagine if they spent all this additional time/money to develop the Cobra even more...first they would lost many, many customers b/c they have a certain price point market and they hit it well b/c there are virtually no new 03-04 Cobras sitting on lots. There is literally zero in the greater los angeles area and very few new ones around the country. That means basically all 20,000 cars that Ford produced in the last 2 years have sold. Second the car would be engineered better, have better designs, better aero, nicer interiors...but that isn't what this car is meant to be.

Anyways I am ranting on...to finish this off... In the turns, the E55 has no chance with a cobra. But this isn't about cost analysis. The mercedes will always be a better car, but handle better and out accelerate, no way.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Is that supposed to impress me that you are "in the industry". Everyone that I have ever met that sells cars or works at/for a dealership is generally a ****ing moron.

I agree...Much more engeneering goes into a mercedes...my cobra costs less than 1/2 of a E55. I would have to say that at least some of the cost difference went into the development of the vehicle. We see what ford can produce when the charge 140K for a car...nothing within the next 300K range could even come close to touching the Ford GT in acceleration, braking or handling...Imagine if they spent all this additional time/money to develop the Cobra even more...first they would lost many, many customers b/c they have a certain price point market and they hit it well b/c there are virtually no new 03-04 Cobras sitting on lots. There is literally zero in the greater los angeles area and very few new ones around the country. That means basically all 20,000 cars that Ford produced in the last 2 years have sold. Second the car would be engineered better, have better designs, better aero, nicer interiors...but that isn't what this car is meant to be.

Anyways I am ranting on...to finish this off... In the turns, the E55 has no chance with a cobra. But this isn't about cost analysis. The mercedes will always be a better car, but handle better and out accelerate, no way.
Was flying home this past Friday and was stuck on the runway in Atlanta for almost 2 hours and was reading the Head to Head on the Ford GT and the F430 Coupe (had a few ****tails so I do not remember the mag). Very close in every test, I was shocked considering the Ford has a big torque advantage.

The Ford GT can hang with the best of them, as will the new Z06 which will be a even better bang for your buck
Old 05-24-2005, 07:40 AM

how does a guy driving a convertible cobra get on this site??? my response to your essay my friend is blah,blah,blah.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
how does a guy driving a convertible cobra get on this site??? my response to your essay my friend is blah,blah,blah.
Come on bro, anyone who likes Mercedes-Benz vehicles can get on this site. I think you're coming off as the typical "better then you" attitude.

It's people just you who give others the idea that if you own a Mercedes, you think you're better then everyone else. Please, step off your high-horse and come back down to Earth.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Hey, relax and take it easy some people get so touchy.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Raced a newer cobra