Sponsored by:

problem with the supercharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 amg e55
problem with the supercharger?

this has happened several times in the past week.. after driving and accelerating hard a couple of times the car will just lose power.. no warning or check engine lights and its still running fine.. no missing or knocking or anything.. but when i try and accelerate again its like the supercharger clutch is not engaging or something.. no power.. its like it has the power of a e320.. the transmission kicks downs to a lower gear and everything like it should but it just wont go.. then after maybe 2 miles later i can accelerate again and everything is fine.. but then it will do it again..
Old 06-04-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I had something similar happen to me at the AMG Challenge in Miami in one of the CLS55's. I would make the hard right turn from the in-field track onto the banked speedway and stomp the accelerator to the floorboards. THe CLS55 would pull like a loame 4-cylinder through 2nd gear until it made the change into 3rd gear and then the familiar beast would kick in, pinning me back in the seat and accelerating hard.

This happened to me several times (7-10 times in total) over two days and always in the red CLS55 (its fair to say that I mainly drove that one, so that would explain me not experiencing it in other cars)

When I mentioned it to Rob Allen, he said it might have to do with the VERY abrupt transition from the flat infield track to the steep banked oval, sending a message to the ESP computer about inclination/steering/ or similar. Obviously he wast sure about this - merely speculating, but in retrospect I think he may be onto something as it never happened anywhere else on the course, and we were really throwing those cars around, and the track had a few sections with undulations that had no effect.

As you know, if the ESP sensors detect anything other that their acceptable inputs, the ESP will back off the power entirely, until acceptable conditions return. This includes rear wheels spinning, front wheels not straight, significant weight transfer, excessive pitch and yaw and a whole other bunch of sensor messages. Any of these conditions causes the ESP to take some action.

Just my recent observations

Siswati
Old 06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same exact thing happened to me the other day. After a few hard accelerations in a straight line, the it seemed as if the car's ESP had "been spooked" and it would deliver no power to the wheels. After about a mile of easy driving, everything worked fine. When it happened to me, however, it happened right after the car ran pretty deep into red-line in 2nd gear - so my guess is that the ECU made the car shift at a low RPM for a while before running hard again.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55 Pewter K3 w/ LSD
Same here!

I know what you guys mean. I have an 05 w/ kleeman stage 3 and lsd. This car shines when you accelerate slow and smooth. It is truly a mean powerful car. BUT. When you really want to burn someone and gun it, it is confused. While I love the beast, don't get me wrong, it is like driving a computer that tells you, you should not put the pedal to the floor. If you do, we (the computer) are going to slow you down. That is why I am in the market for a manual 6 speed Ferrari now. I have heard similar complaints about Ferrari F1 transmissions also. People say there is still a delay in Ferrari F1's. Sad to say, I think that this is what high preformance cars are coming to, even Ferrari's. Everyone wants an F1 transmission. If you want to drive a car the way that it is meant to be driven then go with manual. I know someone will chime in and disagree with me, but it is just the way I feel.
Thank you very much,
gianster
Old 06-04-2005, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Gotta chime in with a me too on that one.

Was practicing launches on pretty desolate road.....friggin Maxima comes over the horizon behind me and I quit practicing.....he blows past me and passes and I thought I would have some fun. Went to pass him with both guns blazin, and boooooooggggggg. Luckily I had enough in the V8 without blower to just make it past, but sure was embarrassing. Somewhere on the Maxima forums I bet there is a "Almost beat an AMG, and I am bone stock" post.... Son of AAAAAAA
Old 06-04-2005, 09:53 PM

2003 amg e55
but this is happening to my car when i am running around 50mph or so and then punch it.. not at a dead stop.. and i even tried it in every trans mode.. and with the traction control off too.. when it is doing this it i can hold it to the floor and it will shift down and accelerate but just not with boost.. i even held it to the floor and let it shift to the next gear and still nothing.. i can then slow back down to lets say 30mph and still the same thing.. it feels just like i am in something wimpy like a neon or something... but then later down the road i can try it again and its just fine..
i have 48k miles on mine and i have driven the crap out of it and it has never done anything like this before...

Last edited by dwtboss; 06-04-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
I'm not sure it was with MBs or another marque but wasn't there a problem with the intercooler system that had this effect? Basically, a poorly functioning intercooler would cause extreme power drops until the temps came back down.

Could this be what is happening?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Maybe the ESP is activating?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:35 AM

Same thing happened to me a while back... It was the intercooling system.. have your dealer check it and replace it if needed and you should be fine.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Intercooler pump failure isn't too common, but has happened. Even if it's operating, the car car will "lock out" the blower if it exceeds a certain temp.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Angry

Originally Posted by dwtboss
this has happened several times in the past week.. after driving and accelerating hard a couple of times the car will just lose power.. no warning or check engine lights and its still running fine.. no missing or knocking or anything.. but when i try and accelerate again its like the supercharger clutch is not engaging or something.. no power.. its like it has the power of a e320.. the transmission kicks downs to a lower gear and everything like it should but it just wont go.. then after maybe 2 miles later i can accelerate again and everything is fine.. but then it will do it again..
SAME EXACT ISSUE...URGGGGGGGG

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/113402-uggg-e55-powerloss-again-ideas.html

<<I was traveling last night though traffic and running an M3 for short bursts 30-60/70 mph 3 or 4 times...no contest really then about 3 minutes later I got on it again and there was no power. I was in "S" mode and the car felt like the tranny was not shifting and it basically felt like the car did not have a supercharger on it.

This happened 4-5 weeks ago under this configuration:

Evo headers and bypass (pre cat) pipes, Hennesey pulley, Evo cooling kit, Kleeman LSD, Electronic cut out exhaust, K&Ns, and SPEED TUNING chip

my set up is the same now except that I have the Kleeman Chip

the car was fine and was a total beast but not it has been very inconsistent and from any roll in "S" its basically a slug. Its very disappointing.

Any ideas on what this could be? Thank you all.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:11 PM

04' E55
Power Loss??

I have experienced the same exact problem..........I'll be driving along, enjoying the sensation of 500 ponies pinning me back to my seat, and then, out of the blue........the fun comes to an abrupt end. I punch it, but no massive power, rather, the sensation that some power-**** has taken my beautiful $40K motor, and swaped it with that of BMW 3 series.

It continues to "bog" for a few moments, and then the power comes back. It does not seem to be an intercooler issue, as my car was not hot. Besides, if it were, then why would it work like a champ 1 minute later. It couldn't possibly go from overheating and back to cool within 1 minute, right? Feels like it is being starved of fuel.

Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
It's weird how this issue doesn't fail to keep comin up. There has to be something wrong if many of us on the boards are experiencing this. I know I get it alot too. Question is what is it...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by E55 Rocket
I have experienced the same exact problem..........I'll be driving along, enjoying the sensation of 500 ponies pinning me back to my seat, and then, out of the blue........the fun comes to an abrupt end. I punch it, but no massive power, rather, the sensation that some power-**** has taken my beautiful $40K motor, and swaped it with that of BMW 3 series.

It continues to "bog" for a few moments, and then the power comes back. It does not seem to be an intercooler issue, as my car was not hot. Besides, if it were, then why would it work like a champ 1 minute later. It couldn't possibly go from overheating and back to cool within 1 minute, right? Feels like it is being starved of fuel.

Any ideas?
I still wonder if it is the intercooler system. If the ECU program is designed to severly restrict power under certain conditions and then restore it when the condition is no longer true, this could be possible when the intercooler water temps go over a fixed point and then fall back again moments later. I would hate to imagine the other possibilities like a bug in the computer program or other poor QC issues.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Check out Vadim's response to my other current thread on the topic in my post above.

Also fyi...I was crusing doing 30 mph for 4 minutes on my way to work in 70 degree weather....went WOT at 30 mph...NADA...no power...zippo. very very disappoinint since the car was NOT hot. Maybe its a supercharger clutch issue...too many electronics.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by e55 baller
Check out Vadim's response to my other current thread on the topic in my post above.

Also fyi...I was crusing doing 30 mph for 4 minutes on my way to work in 70 degree weather....went WOT at 30 mph...NADA...no power...zippo. very very disappoinint since the car was NOT hot. Maybe its a supercharger clutch issue...too many electronics.
Sounds like Vadim found the problem I was describing. I agree, there are way too many electronic controls on these cars and nearly ZERO feedback to the driver as to what they are doing. If the "DME" is reacting to an unsafe condition (excessive intercooler temps), you would hope that some kind of warning would be displayed, right? Crazy that MB would leave this out but put in warnings for everything else. I guess there hasn't been a lawsuit over this one....yet.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the solution soon and that it is not a wallet breaker.
Greg
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Question

Has anyone attempted to heat wrap their downpipes coming off the header and intake tubes?

What about Kleeman and Evo Sport headers -- do they need to be sent off the jet hot?

After a spirited drive turn the car off, pop the hood and stick your face over the engine bay in the center back near the windsheild...the air is just boiling coming off the downpipes and headers. There has to be a way to cool this sucker off.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
EVO headers come already coated... Kleemann offers a coating for their headers when you purchase.

I purchased exhaust wrap from summitracing last week to do the downpipes and as far down as I can get. If your headers are not coated, I would purchase some header wrap and wrap them. It will help underhood temps.

Originally Posted by e55 baller
Has anyone attempted to heat wrap their downpipes coming off the header and intake tubes?

What about Kleeman and Evo Sport headers -- do they need to be sent off the jet hot?

After a spirited drive turn the car off, pop the hood and stick your face over the engine bay in the center back near the windsheild...the air is just boiling coming off the downpipes and headers. There has to be a way to cool this sucker off.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:09 AM

C219 CLS / W220 † / W211† / W210 E55 † / W210 Brabus † / Hamann 540i † /
Funny you say this, my dads CL55 does the same thing. I thought it was the tranny, every now and then it just doesnt want to go. Made me look really stupid one time trying to race an S4.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Thans Vrus, I will get som heat wrap for the downpipes and intake.

Highend, my first reaction was that my tranny was not downshifting but then when I put it in M mode I realized it was something much different.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Question

Could any of these help us cool our cars down even further than the EVO kit? Heat wrap, extra radiator fan, IC NOS set-up, etc.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...8&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Catalo...ntercooler.pdf
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
The intercooler spray systems are netting anywhere from 20-50HP for the 4 cylinder crowd. Stay away from the ones that spray water. It can cause you to lose traction. Many tracks are banning water now anyway.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
good advice about the spray systems, i did see a video of a car that sprayed and slipped and hit a wall running an E.T.

Do you think the Intercooler NOS systems are less volatile/dangerous than say a dry 50 shot or so you think its all pretty much the same thing. I don't know if the Intercooler NOS systems have the NOS set up to find its way into the combustion chambers or if it is just a pure cooling effect. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
The intercooler cooler (N2O or CO2) work by cooling the charge air temp only. A dry shot, while it does have cooling effects, also adds oxygen to the mixture which triggers the ECU to add more fuel. They are totaly different. As to which one is easier on the engine, I'd say the intercooler sprayer.

The jury is out as to what the effects of N2O vs. CO2 are. CO2 is cheaper but it will kill combustion if it finds its way into your intake.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
The intercooler cooler (N2O or CO2) work by cooling the charge air temp only. A dry shot, while it does have cooling effects, also adds oxygen to the mixture which triggers the ECU to add more fuel. They are totaly different. As to which one is easier on the engine, I'd say the intercooler sprayer.

The jury is out as to what the effects of N2O vs. CO2 are. CO2 is cheaper but it will kill combustion if it finds its way into your intake.
thats what RPM Racing told me today about C02. Also NOS/Lb is like $7 vs. $2 for Co2.

They said they could hook up the C02 system so that it doesn't make its way into the engine...would just freeze the air on the way in and lower the charge to below ambient. Saber has done this mod. Looking to learn more about it.

I assume having a modded ECU is a no go for a dry 50 shot. Looks like Derek has gone with an 85 wet kit and the others on this board running NOS seem to have a stock ECU. I guess there may not be enough fuel left over.

Btw what size injectors are in our car?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: problem with the supercharger?