Sponsored by:

Uggg...E55 powerloss again...ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Unhappy Uggg...E55 powerloss again...ideas?

I was traveling last night though traffic and running an M3 for short bursts 30-60/70 mph 3 or 4 times...no contest really then about 3 minutes later I got on it again and there was no power. I was in "S" mode and the car felt like the tranny was not shifting and it basically felt like the car did not have a supercharger on it.

This happened 4-5 weeks ago under this configuration:

Evo headers and bypass (pre cat) pipes, Hennesey pulley, Evo cooling kit, Kleeman LSD, Electronic cut out exhaust, K&Ns, and SPEED TUNING chip

my set up is the same now except that I have the Kleeman Chip

the car was fine and was a total beast but not it has been very inconsistent and from any roll in "S" its basically a slug. Its very disappointing.

Any ideas on what this could be? Thank you all.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Overheated?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
the car was fine and was a total beast but not it has been very inconsistent and from any roll in "S" its basically a slug.
Although I have no answers....I have had the same thing happen.

Practicing launches on remote road and Maxima came out of nowhere. I went into normal driving mode and he blew past me. That pi$$ed me off and I went to "blow his doors off"...I punch it....baawwwwwwwwww. It just chugs past him. Weird part was that he was punching it and my blower was off and I still slowly past him.....just was embarrassing for me.

Somewhere there is a post on the Maxima boards..."almost beat an AMG yesterday" Guess these type of things plus blower chirp, plus heat problems plus etc... is the reason we are going N/A.... sure I hate it too, but whad ya gonna do.

Twin turbs are make everything alllllll better.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Unhappy

Jackpro...interesting this did not just happen to me...

What are your mods at the time of this? Does this still occur for you? If so how often and under what conditions (S, C, M mode)

For me it feels like the tranny is not downshifting...like you are going 20mph go into WOT and you are in 5th gear and nothing happens. From coming from turbo charged cars it feels like a hose or IC pipe is loose.

As far as overheating it was 81 degress out and I did have the A/C on ....the temp bar was about 100 F.

4 hours later after letting the car cool I took it out around midnight....

From zero the car seemed ok, from ANY roll it was awful. Its so awful that if it is not fixed I cannot have fun with the car and therefore would have to sell it after fixing it... guys its that bad/depressing but there has to be a solution.

I spoke to RPMtuning and they are calling Kleeman today. Apparently RPMracinginc.com had a SL55 AMG with 30K on it which had the supercharger pulley clutch go out? I hope that made sense. Anyways I was told it was slipping...perhaps that could be the root cause but why would the Speedtuning chip be consistently poor (15 out of 20 WOT kicks) versus being fine for the past 5 weeks until now with the Kleeman chip.

Has anyone installed a boost guage in their cars? I would never put it on the A pillar but likely store it in the center console just for feedback pursposes.

Comments and thoughts welcome! Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I basically have the same mods as you do but all through Evosport and Powerchip for the ECU with no issues now. I did have that feeling twice but it was because the supercharger pulley belt was going so fast it kept popping off. I was doing some WOT bursts on the freeway and all of sudden it felt like a n/a v8 and when I got home I noticed the belt had come off the supercharger pulley. After the techs looked at it on the dyno, they said my supercharger pulley was moving so fast that the belt would just find its way off. They reshaped the pulley to grab the belt better and I have had zero problems since.

I hope you find out what is wrong without having to use a dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:15 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by e55 baller
I was traveling last night though traffic and running an M3 for short bursts 30-60/70 mph 3 or 4 times...no contest really then about 3 minutes later I got on it again and there was no power. I was in "S" mode and the car felt like the tranny was not shifting and it basically felt like the car did not have a supercharger on it.

This happened 4-5 weeks ago under this configuration:

Evo headers and bypass (pre cat) pipes, Hennesey pulley, Evo cooling kit, Kleeman LSD, Electronic cut out exhaust, K&Ns, and SPEED TUNING chip

my set up is the same now except that I have the Kleeman Chip

the car was fine and was a total beast but not it has been very inconsistent and from any roll in "S" its basically a slug. Its very disappointing.

Any ideas on what this could be? Thank you all.
May be hard to pin-point since you are using many different tuner parts. I have not seen any issues with my K2/w LSD and IC mod. If anything with all this 95-100 temps we have had the car takes off as it would in colder temps.

I know some members have had issues with Speedtuning when doing more then just a ECU swap. Is the Kleemann ECU programmed correctly for the Evo headers which are more restrictive then Kleemann's and the pulley?

You may want to give Cory a call directly at Kleemann USA.

With all the brain power on this site I am sure we will figure it out
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I know it's a different animal, but I had the supercharger clutch go out on my SLK32. What sucked was the 300 mile drive home from the beach without the blower.

Could this be an intermittent problem with your clutch?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Thank you all...I am going to give Cory a buzz when they open today. I will take a look to at the supercharger belt.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Wayne,

I do think this could be the issue. However from an "M" mode roll the car today seemed ok but from an "S" mode it was not. Very inconsistent.

How many miles where on your car before it went out? Did you notice any intermittent power loss or was it all of the sudden and for good? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
For me it feels like the tranny is not downshifting...like you are going 20mph go into WOT and you are in 5th gear and nothing happens. From coming from turbo charged cars it feels like a hose or IC pipe is loose.
Only thing we know for sure right now is it is always after we are horsing it. Have not heard of someone starting er up and heading out the neighborhood and having it happen. That just screams some type of heat related issue which is common on our cars....especially modded ones.

Other than that, someone said that the ECU sometimes can sense when the car is being jerked around horizontally and will shut down blower for safety, although I think that is stretching it a little. Why wouldn't it shut down in city traffic then...we all know we hammer down a lot to get in and out....makes no sense. Heat I bet is doing something. Perhaps a quick spike in temp that is not perceived by gauges that causes quick shutdown of blower.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Only thing we know for sure right now is it is always after we are horsing it. Have not heard of someone starting er up and heading out the neighborhood and having it happen. That just screams some type of heat related issue which is common on our cars....especially modded ones. .
This morning I headed out to goto work. ONLY 70 degrees on Long Island. Got 1/2 WOT throttle into it from 20 to 50mph in S drive and noticed that the car seemed ok.

5 minutes later on an open stretch I went 100% WOT at 25mph in S mode and the car had nothing. I was very disappointed. The car was definitely having the same issue and my drive to work is on back roads at 30-45mph for 10 minutes.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Unhappy

Spoke to Cory...he said this problem seems to happen to 1 in 10 E55s. Seems high.

I would need to have a mechanic check the voltage coming off the electronic clutch on the supercharger or have a MBenz dealer diagonisis it with a DAS machine to see how the clutch is engaging.

Tell take sign other than loss of power is the loss of the chip sound which occurs when the clutch engages.

Cory said more than likely if it is an electronic clutch issue then MBenz will have to replace both that and the Supercharger. Uggggggggg.

No wonder the E63 N/A is coming out.....
Old 07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Everytime I hear a story like this, I can't stop thinking about heat. Maybe it really is the heat that is doing this. I had this happen to me about 2-3 times in the past. Coming home from a friend's house on an absolutely empty freeway, I would give a couple quick burst from maybe 70-110ish. I would do this about 3-4 times. Then on the 5th, I went WOT, the car downshifted and I saw the rpm's soar, yet no pull in the car. It was like the supercharger shut off. I drove the rest of the way home at 65 not pushing it at all. Then maybe about 15 minutes later, it was back to normal. I think it's heat...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Unhappy

I would agree that the root cause seems to be heat.

However with my cooling kit I would have expected the liklihood of this happening would have been much lower.

Actually when I think of it when I had the speed tuning chip in I did NOT have the cooling kit.

The cooling kit went in at the time of the Kleeman flash 5 days later. My run yesterday was at 85 degrees outside with the A/C on. But today no A/C was on and it was 70 degrees.

Perhaps heat caused something to go wrong with the electronic clutch?

The only other things I can think of would be to heat wrap the instake tubes which feel damn hit after spirited runs. And perhaps a cryo kit, maybe even 50 dry shot of NOS...that would definitely cool things down but could open up another can of worms.

I would hate and would never put a hood scoop or vents in the hood but can't think of any other way to release the heat. An electric fan?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Last thing....I forgot to add that out of the hundreds of times I have "gotten on it" since....hasn't happened again.

It is now summer HOT here and temps are running around 100 each day.....still nothing.

That puts it all back in the "go figure" category. Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Last thing that just popped in...perhaps on the "blower belt" issue...perhaps it is just a slip. Maybe heat related or something....but maybe it is slipping for something. Ahhhh, who knows.

Nothing but total brake failure can make me dislike this car. If I gotta lose to Maxima once to beat 95 others....so be it. Just trying to keep positive.

Let me know if you find out anything. Hard to go to dealer with mods eh?? Like we are friggin criminals.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 07-07-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
I hear ya however given my situation I think I would lose to a Maxima about 75 out of 100 times...not at all fun. Plus its dangerous...can you pass someone on the highway...can you pass someone on a dotted yellow line?

Do I have 600hp or 302 hp? It makes a big difference. And if our N/A motor puts out 302hp it for some reason feels like about 200 perhaps its N/A in limp mode with no blower. UGGG.

I will have to find a dealer to that is mod friendly...this blows!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You're right baller....lemme know how you make out.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
My E55 did this a lot. I would punch it hard once and then I would have no SC for the next couple mins. Pissed me off royally and I only had 5K miles on it when I traded it in. My CLS55 hasnt done it so far. I will keep my fingers crossed. Sorry to hear that others are having this issue as well.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Unhappy

I ran the car about 5-6 times this evening on the way home from work in 70 degree weather. it pulled strong 4 out of 6 times. I even had the heat blasting out the passenger vent out the passenger window...probably does nothing but use to prevent my college days '79 Olds 350 V8 from overheating.

I am going to have a voltage test done this weekend on the electronic clutch...if this keeps up I will try to goto a mod friendly dealer and pray.

If all fails I do not want to have to sell this beast

I think the only thing speed wise that could suffice would be the new C6 Z06 but i want my E fixed.

By the way has anyone heat wrapped the downpipes coming off the headers...seems to be one of the big heat sources under our hood. I am amazed the air tubes don't melt.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
VelocitE55,

Did you trade your E55 because of this? I know what you mean...it sucks that bad!

Did you have any mods? I think the biggest culprit has to be the pulley as it raises the boost and hence the heat and EGTs.

I should hook upa boost gauge and EGT gauge like in my old Supra for diagnostics.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Kick down switch? Mine was acting up for a while, but now is fine.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by e55 baller
I would agree that the root cause seems to be heat.

However with my cooling kit I would have expected the liklihood of this happening would have been much lower.

Actually when I think of it when I had the speed tuning chip in I did NOT have the cooling kit.

The cooling kit went in at the time of the Kleeman flash 5 days later. My run yesterday was at 85 degrees outside with the A/C on. But today no A/C was on and it was 70 degrees.

Perhaps heat caused something to go wrong with the electronic clutch?

The only other things I can think of would be to heat wrap the instake tubes which feel damn hit after spirited runs. And perhaps a cryo kit, maybe even 50 dry shot of NOS...that would definitely cool things down but could open up another can of worms.

I would hate and would never put a hood scoop or vents in the hood but can't think of any other way to release the heat. An electric fan?
I think you need to figure out the problem before you add more stuff to the car. You may have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. You might even have to try to get it back to as close to stock as possible.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
E55 baller: Get a hold of OBDII scanner. If you have a laptop or PDA you can by a cable to link up into your DME. You can also buy a stand alone scanner, they are fairly cheap. Just do a search on google under "OBDII Scanner".

Data log every run and look at timing, intake charge temperature (ICT), rpm, coolant temperature and intake pressure. Since you already have a bigger pump from our cooling package, your intake temperatures under full boost should be no more than 50F above ambient and going down close to ambient as soon as you back of the gas.

DME will shut down compressor if it sees ICT go above 255F, as soon as it cools down to 155F it will turn compressor back on. This is what's happening when stock Bosch pump intermittently shuts off.

If everything looks good, than my next guess would be BAS/ESP malfunction. We had one case where ESP pump failed and caused DME to shut-off compressor permanently.

P.S. Check and make sure that you do not have an air bubble in intercooler cooling circuit.

Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:02 PM

04' E55
Power Loss

I have experienced the same exact problem..........I'll be driving along, enjoying the sensation of 500 ponies pinning me back to my seat, and then, out of the blue........the fun comes to an abrupt end. I punch it, but no massive power, rather, the sensation that some power-**** has taken my beautiful $40K motor, and swaped it with that of BMW 3 series.

It continues to "bog" for a few moments, and then the power comes back. It does not seem to be an intercooler issue, as my car was not hot. Besides, if it were, then why would it work like a champ 1 minute later. It couldn't possibly go from overheating and back to cool within 1 minute, right? Feels like it is being starved of fuel.

Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
E55 baller: Get a hold of OBDII scanner. If you have a laptop or PDA you can by a cable to link up into your DME. You can also buy a stand alone scanner, they are fairly cheap. Just do a search on google under "OBDII Scanner".

Data log every run and look at timing, intake charge temperature (ICT), rpm, coolant temperature and intake pressure. Since you already have a bigger pump from our cooling package, your intake temperatures under full boost should be no more than 50F above ambient and going down close to ambient as soon as you back of the gas.

DME will shut down compressor if it sees ICT go above 255F, as soon as it cools down to 155F it will turn compressor back on. This is what's happening when stock Bosch pump intermittently shuts off.

If everything looks good, than my next guess would be BAS/ESP malfunction. We had one case where ESP pump failed and caused DME to shut-off compressor permanently.

P.S. Check and make sure that you do not have an air bubble in intercooler cooling circuit.

Good Luck!
Vadim,

Thank you for your comments. Will this suffice? http://www.autotap.com/autotap_windows_products.html

Its kinda pricy at ~$180. Can you point me to one that will work with a laptop on Ebay? There seem to be hundreds at $20-50. Not sure if there is one that is better than others.

Also last night I looked at the Evo cooling system pump up near the passenger snorkle tube and it was bone dry. I opened it up because I peered down and saw what looked to be coolant liquid spotted all over the tubes and other parts of the bay area. The cap was loose so I peered in and it was bone dry. I assume that it should be filled with coolant when the car is cold, warm?

Thanks Vadim!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uggg...E55 powerloss again...ideas?